PDA

View Full Version : Gabby Gaudet on HRTV !?

PhantomOnTour
08-15-2013, 12:31 PM
From what I've read, this woman has been in the broadcast industry for about 4 months...and she's co-hosting Race Day America with Jon White !?

How does this happen?....because she hasn't impressed me in the first segment of the show.....is it the "pretty face" theme that all channels racing seem to be gravitating to? Her delivery ain't exactly smooth.

She replaced Frank Carulli in Maryland (who saved his money and moved to Vegas to try his hand as a professional gambler...go Frank!)
I heard about her replacing Carulli when I was in Baltimore for the Preakness. She is a legacy on the track, her father is Eddie Gaudet.
She has exercised horses and knows her way around the track...but can she handicap??? I know one thing - she can't host a show very well.
James Quinn warned in On Track-Off Track that horseplayers and horse people should never mix when it comes to handicapping...and I say he is right.
Sorry if I sound like a chauvinist pig, but I am more interested in hearing good analysis than looking at a pretty face.

wiffleball whizz
08-15-2013, 01:32 PM
I think the woman knows her stuff and I wish her the best in Maryland :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Stillriledup
08-15-2013, 02:49 PM
Was she the one who won a contest to get this job? I think she beat out a few others at auditions, or, something like that.

Beachbabe
08-15-2013, 03:14 PM
Speaking of women on HRTV, whatever happened to Millie Ball & Carolyn Connolly ?

And as far as Gabby is concerned, she has to stop laughing every two minutes. Maybe it was nerves, but it was pretty unprofessional. Hopefully she gets better. Good luck to her.

PhantomOnTour
08-15-2013, 03:21 PM
Was she the one who won a contest to get this job? I think she beat out a few others at auditions, or, something like that.
Yes - but it was more like formal auditions than a contest...don't know why they called it a contest.

wiffleball whizz
08-15-2013, 03:45 PM
Speaking of women on HRTV, whatever happened to Millie Ball & Carolyn Connolly ?

And as far as Gabby is concerned, she has to stop laughing every two minutes. Maybe it was nerves, but it was pretty unprofessional. Hopefully she gets better. Good luck to her.

She is better then any of the other on air people in the racing channels....

Stillriledup
08-15-2013, 03:47 PM

Maybe she's the female version of Tom Cassidy, who has this annoying laugh that's constant, its really irritating. I dont get HRTV on my satellite system, so i never see it...maybe that's a good thing!

Tom
08-15-2013, 04:18 PM
Caroline has been on at noon just a week ago - maybe vacation this week?
She is a breath of fresh air on HRTV, who over-uses Zoe 24/7.
I turn over to Todd Schrupp whenever she is on!

JimG
08-15-2013, 08:27 PM
I recall when Maggie Wolfendale was doing the in-house show at Colonial Downs several years ago, she was very nervous, had lousy chalk picks, and was not doing very good as a tv host, in my opinion.

When she moved to NYRA, I initally thought what are they thinking with hiring her? I am glad to say NYRA was right and I was wrong as she has done a great job as a paddock host, in my opinion.

Hopefully, with some seasoning, Gabby will do fine. Give her some time.

Jim

Striker
08-15-2013, 08:55 PM

Millie is overseas a lot. She tweeted that she was in England with family on July 29th.

thespaah
08-15-2013, 10:18 PM
From what I've read, this woman has been in the broadcast industry for about 4 months...and she's co-hosting Race Day America with Jon White !?

How does this happen?....because she hasn't impressed me in the first segment of the show.....is it the "pretty face" theme that all channels racing seem to be gravitating to? Her delivery ain't exactly smooth.

She replaced Frank Carulli in Maryland (who saved his money and moved to Vegas to try his hand as a professional gambler...go Frank!)
I heard about her replacing Carulli when I was in Baltimore for the Preakness. She is a legacy on the track, her father is Eddie Gaudet.
She has exercised horses and knows her way around the track...but can she handicap??? I know one thing - she can't host a show very well.
James Quinn warned in On Track-Off Track that horseplayers and horse people should never mix when it comes to handicapping...and I say he is right.
Sorry if I sound like a chauvinist pig, but I am more interested in hearing good analysis than looking at a pretty face.
For a TV host, she has a poor speaking voice. If she is going to have an on camera career, I suggest a speech coach.

wiffleball whizz
08-15-2013, 10:40 PM
I promise PA I'll get gabby to post when I see her at laurel......I recruit for PA he's good people!!

duncan04
08-15-2013, 11:05 PM
I promise PA I'll get gabby to post when I see her at laurel......I recruit for PA he's good people!!

After this thread, good luck with that!

Si2see
08-15-2013, 11:36 PM
I recall when Maggie Wolfendale was doing the in-house show at Colonial Downs several years ago, she was very nervous, had lousy chalk picks, and was not doing very good as a tv host, in my opinion.

When she moved to NYRA, I initally thought what are they thinking with hiring her? I am glad to say NYRA was right and I was wrong as she has done a great job as a paddock host, in my opinion.

Hopefully, with some seasoning, Gabby will do fine. Give her some time.

Jim

To say Maggie was very nervous is an understatement... I was once alive to all in a pick 50cent four on last leg so I skipped race and counted how many times she used the words Um or Like and it was 13 times....HOWEVER I think she does a terrific job with her gig in New York and is 100 times better on camera with her short paddock gig.

Gabby came up from graduating college this year to colonial but only did a handful of handicapping segments on camera. If I am not mistaken doesn't she date Sheldon Russell ?

wiffleball whizz
08-16-2013, 12:04 AM
After this thread, good luck with that!

Lolololololololo.....but in all fairness I think any horse racing personality with the exception of TLG who is a god and trainer mike Mitchell who we all root for because of his health issues comes under fire here from the board...

I don't think gabby would be offended if she read this....

proximity
08-16-2013, 12:17 AM

with all that action coming to Maryland live, i'd have stayed put!!

PhantomOnTour
08-16-2013, 12:39 AM
with all that action coming to Maryland live, i'd have stayed put!!
There was an article in the Baltimore Sun about Carulli leaving for Vegas.
He said he had enough saved up to last about 3yrs if he never won a dime, so hopefully he can stick around.
I don't recall what form of gambling he would pursue, but I imagine a large portion would be the horses...who knows.
I will Google him and try to find the article. It ran on Preakness week either Thurs, Fri or Sat.

EDIT: if you Google his name the first hit is the article I was talking about. I would post it but i'm a computer dipshit...he has money for 18months or so...all expenses covered and a house he already purchased.
Good luck Frank - wonder if he is keeping the world updated on his adventures somewhere.

goatchaser
08-16-2013, 01:05 AM
Doesn't stop Stauffer from posting..And people are Brutal with him. I found him a good guy when Iv'e met him. Twice..but doubt he recalls it.

bitter
08-16-2013, 12:46 PM
There was an article in the Baltimore Sun about Carulli leaving for Vegas.
He said he had enough saved up to last about 3yrs if he never won a dime, so hopefully he can stick around.
I don't recall what form of gambling he would pursue, but I imagine a large portion would be the horses...who knows.
I will Google him and try to find the article. It ran on Preakness week either Thurs, Fri or Sat.

EDIT: if you Google his name the first hit is the article I was talking about. I would post it but i'm a computer dipshit...he has money for 18months or so...all expenses covered and a house he already purchased.
Good luck Frank - wonder if he is keeping the world updated on his adventures somewhere.

i use to see this guy all the time up at chuck town late night with his friends in the late 90's, let me tell you, he didn't look like much from what i remember. He seemed like he might be sharp at the time, appeared like he was sending it in on races and was vocal watching them. Was shocked when i saw him at Laurel, personally i don't have a lot of experience with his picks, but those he tosses out at laurel have never been overly hot when i'm following.

the md circuit has a history of keeping it in the racing family, wasn't maggie wofendale's father a trainer? Jeannine edwards started in MD i'm pretty sure.

the little guy
08-16-2013, 01:14 PM
i use to see this guy all the time up at chuck town late night with his friends in the late 90's, let me tell you, he didn't look like much from what i remember. He seemed like he might be sharp at the time, appeared like he was sending it in on races and was vocal watching them. Was shocked when i saw him at Laurel, personally i don't have a lot of experience with his picks, but those he tosses out at laurel have never been overly hot when i'm following.

the md circuit has a history of keeping it in the racing family, wasn't maggie wofendale's father a trainer? Jeannine edwards started in MD i'm pretty sure.

How nice of you to share this on the internet.

Frank Carulli did a great job, and this is industry is better for his involvement. As far as your reference to Maggie Wolfendale....she does a great job too. Her father being a trainer in Maryland had nothing to do with my hiring her in NY. Jeanine Edwards is another that does a great job....but everyone knows that too.

Saratoga_Mike
08-16-2013, 03:14 PM

I'll warn her about you now

wiffleball whizz
08-16-2013, 03:36 PM
I'll warn her about you now

Yes because I'm the Maryland jockey clubs newest member.....only put 5700 through the window in 2 trips in 6 hours.....they want me to stay far away :lol: :lol: :lol: