PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga: August 15, 2013

Teach
08-15-2013, 11:49 AM
Race One:

I’m not much for “the jumpers” so my pick in this and the next race must be taken with a grain of salt. My choice her is :6: , Total Command. He’s a lightly-raced 6-year-old Sadler’s Wells-bred gelding who won his last race, his only U.S. race back in early May. The horse had been racing “Across The Pond” with limited success. As I assess the race, there appears to be sufficient early speed to run into in the later stages of this race. This horse should be one of those who is closing. The jockey, Darren Nagle, has a win and a third in four tries. Trainer Jonathan Sheppard, a solid conditioner of “jumpers,” is good with horses making their second start with Lasix.

Also: :4: ,:11: ,:2:

Race Two:

:5: Powerofone was a non-factor in his last race in mid-May. The 4-year-old A.P. Indy-bred gelding was pulled up midway through the race. However, prior to that, he won two straight. Can Darren Nagle boot home both halves of the early double? Can trainer Jonathan Sheppard condition horses that win both ends? Sheppard is good with horses who’ve been away from the races for a few months.

Also: :1: /:1a: ; :8: ,:3:

Race Three:

:8: Pecorino is my pick in this maiden-special sprint. Pecorino is a 2-year-old Afleet Alex-bred colt who finished second in his only try a few weeks back. The colt went off at slightly less than 4-1 in that one; he finished second to a runaway winner. With a race under his belt, this Todd Pletcher-trained colt should be more seasoned and be ready to have his picture taken. The colt should benefit from his outside (he had the rail in his only start) post and would benefit from any residual moisture left over from Tuesday’s rains.

Also: :3: ,:5: ,:7:

Race Four:

:5: Speechmaker gets my nod in this maiden-special dirt route. This Tiznow-bred colt has hit the tote in two of four tries. He narrowly missed two races back in early May at Belmont in a race that was taken off the turf. His most recent race was a turf effort in early July; a race in which he finished last in a field of seven. Any chances the horse might have add in that one were compromised by getting hooked in an early speed duel. Well, the colt now switches back to the main. I like the turf-to-dirt angle. He also has a new pilot, the hot as a petardo, Joel Rosario. The Hall-of-Famer, Bill Mott, trains.

Also: :1: , :4: ,:8:

Race Five:

:10: Saved the Best is stepping down in the selling ranks. The Storm Cat-bred gelding has hit a dry patch in his last couple starts; he finished off the board in both. It should be noted that in his last, a turf route at Belmont in early July, the gelding was caught five-wide in the lane, yet he was still gaining. The change of scenery and the salubrious effects of a visit to the upstate “Spa” may do this horse a world of good. The gelding does have two wins in eight tries on the lawn. Luis Saez retains the ride for trainer Mark Hennig.

Also :3: ,:6: ,:5:

Race Six:

:2: King Henny showed little in his last at Churchill; yet, he's faced better in the past. Gets the razor-sharp Joel Rosario in the irons. Won The Gazebo at Oaklawn Park back in March. Trainer Steve Asmussen is among the conditioning leaders.

Also: :8: ,:6: , :5:

Race Seven:

:7: HangingwithSonny drew the inside one-hole in her last start on the dirt. She bobbled at the start and then got caught five wide trying to circle the field. The Giant’s Causeway-bred did well finish third. The filly now draws mid-pack and should find it easier to swing wide for the stretch run. She has the kind of pedigree to handle the lawn. Oh, she’s adding blinkers. Shaun Bridgmohan is in the irons for Bruce Brown.

Also: :1: ,:2: ,:8:

Race Eight:

:10: Kharafa won his last at the distance. The Mr. Prospector-bred gelding has hit the tote in ten of 12 lifetime turf appearances. Prior to his last win, he was second in The Kingston (second to King Kressa) for state-breds. In fact, the horse has either been first or second in his last seven tries. With any kind of trip this gelding should be right there. Rajiv Maragh for trainer Tim Hills.

Also: :2: ,:8: ,:3:  

Race Nine:

:5: Teaks North was second in his most recent start, the Grade I United Nations at Monmouth, Prior to that this Northern Afleet-bred gelding won the mile and ¼ good reward at Belmont. In his current excellent form, this gelding should be a major player in this turf route. Luis Saez for Michelle Nevin.

Also: :6: ,:1: ,:4:

Race Ten

:1a: Farhaan ships in from the UK. The Seeking the Gold-bred colt has been away from the races for about a year. The colt hadn’t shown much recently while competing in the British Isles; however, he will be cutting back, that should help. Trainer Kiaran McLaughlin is good with horses who’ve been away from the races for more than 90 days. The colt adds Lasix for the first time. The most capable Jose Lezcano is in the irons.

Also: :10: ,:7: ,:6:

Race Eleven:

:10: Hoboken Joe has been second or third in his last turf sprints. Could today be the day to break his maiden? Should benefit from outside post. Trainer Dominick Schettino is good with beaten favorites. The Storm Cat-bred gelding’s rider is the red-hot Javier Castellano.

Also: :8: ,:6: ,:1:

The Spaniard
08-15-2013, 03:06 PM
R5: improvement expected for :3: FLOWING MANE. :5: MR. STARR'S REPORT positive rise in price and long trip, good figures on turf. Exacta box.

3rd and 1st :mad:

The Spaniard
08-15-2013, 04:47 PM
R10 and R11

LATE DAILY DOUBLE

R10: Well bred :1a: FARHANN demostrated a rating high enough to beat this field at 2 and 3 year old. Two good bullets in Keeneland over 5f means he's doing great and can win first time in the USA.

R11: :1: FREIGHT was disqualified over course, distance and good ground and can repeat here. :9: SOUTHER SAFARI lost too much time and ground in the same race waitng a gap, the 34.4B says the race made him good and this improver can win with decent odds.