PDA

View Full Version : Charlestown 8/15

bgbootha
08-15-2013, 01:41 AM
So just out of curiosity, am I the only person that sings Charles Town races every time I see the name? I know the original song was Camptown Races, but come on. Every single time? Yeah every single time.

Here we go, today is Thirsty Thursday here on HBD and we have a quick little breakdown of the first five races from Charles Town for Thursday, 08/15/2013.

First and foremost some notes about Charles Town races. You cannot handicap Charles Town like you would handicap any other race track. The simple fact is this track is weird, I love its a good weird, but you must recognize that its different than the rest. The track itself is amazingly small measuring a whopping 6f in circumference. The thing is basically a circle. So what does this mean. It means that most sprints at other tracks are a 1 turn race, at Charlestown a 5.5f sprint is actually a two turn race, heck a mile long race here is a 3 turn affair. With the lack of a long straight away to finish the race, often the horse that hits the stretch first will hold on to win or at the very least cash in the race. I will almost always favor the inside speed here at Charles Town.

Race 1 (4.5f / Dirt) 9-1-2>1A

Not a great deal of history in this short sprint to start the card off tonight, I would more than likely pass on this race as there is nothing of value that pops off the sheet and says ‘bet me’. But just saying pass is simply no fun at all, if I was looking to play this race, I may try to beat some of the favorites here with the 2 AnySaturdayInMay who is actually going to start on the fair inside and rates pretty well from the beginning of the race. This horse may get position on this field and get a ground saving trip against some of the other contenders. But the best of the bunch seems to be the 1A Clapping who is a double positive contender with the highest late speed. A good start from this horse is going to be hard to beat coming off the turn.

Race 2 (7f / Dirt) 1-9-3-6

Assuming the AE don’t run in this race I really like the 1 Golden Butterfly to make another nice run coming off a strong 2nd his last out at 6.5f, and a nice win 3 races ago at the same distance, this horse looks to be a strong candidate to take this field here tonight, with a ML of 6/1 you can’t help but to like the value provided either. The second best Strong Start figure in the field combined this horse should be near the front of the large field coming around the turn.

Race 3 (4.5f / Dirt) 7-3-4-10

Again looking for some value in this race the 4 Even Me may provide it at 6/1 ML. For some reason this horse is listed as an ‘S’ running style but other than a bad start in his last race has been in the first top 3 horses throughout his career early in the race, and should be there again tonight. A nice Strong Start figure along with the best E1 Value places this horse near the front of this short sprint around the single turn at Charles Town.

Race 4 (7f / Dirt) 5-1-9-6

I can’t quite figure out why the ML favorite here is an 8/5 choice, don’t get me wrong, he is the top horse on our sheets, but not by the margin that an 8/5 line would suggest. I like yet another 6/1 ML here in the 1 Fancidear, who is coming off a nice race in the slop where he wired the field here at Charles Town at the same distance. I think this horse will try the same mentality and get to the front, save some ground from the inside and may have enough to hold off the others coming down the short stretch.

Race 5 (4.5f / Dirt) 8-7-5-9

An interesting note about this race is that all of the early speed is going to be coming from the outside for this 4.5f sprint. Making an interesting horse appear on our sheets in the 5 Sir Fit’s Too Much, who may just get a great trip here with the strange pace setup for this super short sprint. Again showing some great value at 6/1 ML.