PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Windows and 32bit program on 64 bit computer

BIG49010
08-14-2013, 09:36 PM
I purchased a new 64 bit computer and figured out how to run my old Paradox for dos on it. Problem is runs at snails pace, files that take a few minutes to run on old machine take double to triple the time running in Virtual PC.

I've thought about trying a solid state drive with the 64 bit, but I am thinking must be a better solution.

Thanks

michiken
08-14-2013, 11:11 PM
I use Paradox running on Linux using DOSBox (http://www.dosbox.com/). It says it can support 64 bit although I haven't tested it.

Ken

wilderness
08-15-2013, 10:29 PM
Here's a 32-64-bit link worth reading (http://www.pugetsystems.com/blog/2011/01/13/windows-7-64-bit-running-32-bit-applications/).

It's been more than 20-years since I used Paradox. My then employer used Ver 3.? and then switched to 4.0. (Not sure I'm recalling the version numbers correctly, however still have some floppies somewhere). The newer version was much more effective for my employer's use, however it was a programming nightmare due to all the scripts.

I started using a 64-bit in late-June, however I'm not running any DOS software.
I've a rather small pedigree software that a friend created more than a decade ago, which is a useful tool, however it's low on my priority list. My current project is very intensive and I'm currently working against some short term time restraints. Two months from now I'll have a bit more leeway in my schedule.

I have an old DOS graphics software that "was" superb at merging different sized split-images. The software would be a real test for any DOS compatibility, however I've never gotten around to converting to floppies to a CD. Some day ;)

JustRalph
08-15-2013, 10:52 PM
Lots of stuff via google on this problem.

Looks like it started post Win7

You don't say what version of windows :bang:

Looks like some solved the problem by using a network node ( another machine) to do queries, using win7 or earlier on the node.

BIG49010
08-16-2013, 05:07 PM
I am using Window 7 Ultamate, this allows the Virtual PC to be installed.
I plan to try the Dos Box and see if it helps my problems. My guess is it will run, but not very fast. I am guessing that a complete overhaul with something like python might be what I should do, but I would have a hard time pulling that off. I have years in this program to get it where I have it today.

Robert Goren
08-16-2013, 05:14 PM
I have a windows 7 machine 64 bit. It stopped from using office 97 on it.

DeltaLover
08-16-2013, 05:59 PM
I purchased a new 64 bit computer and figured out how to run my old Paradox :bang: :bang: for dos on it. Problem is runs at snails pace, files that take a few minutes to run on old machine take double to triple the time running in Virtual PC.

I've thought about trying a solid state drive with the 64 bit, but I am thinking must be a better solution.

Thanks

Paradox? Has been years since I have last heard of it....

Maybe you should consider something more modern.

You can easily move your data to something like MySql, mongo, sqlite...

BIG49010
08-16-2013, 08:35 PM
Paradox? Has been years since I have last heard of it....

Maybe you should consider something more modern.

You can easily move your data to something like MySql, mongo, sqlite...

Problem is I wrote this program that puts stats on about 100 plus angles into a databases, then goes thru a card and pulls all that apply to a horse at a particular track, for the trainer, jockey etc that are involved. To change databases and re program 200 pages of code isn't something most do because database programs change. I guess I should just pack it in, and use my old 32 bit computer, or perhaps buy a couple of them on craigslist for cheap to double my speed.

p.s. Dos box works at the same speed as virtual PC

JustRalph
08-16-2013, 09:00 PM
Problem is I wrote this program that puts stats on about 100 plus angles into a databases, then goes thru a card and pulls all that apply to a horse at a particular track, for the trainer, jockey etc that are involved. To change databases and re program 200 pages of code isn't something most do because database programs change. I guess I should just pack it in, and use my old 32 bit computer, or perhaps buy a couple of them on craigslist for cheap to double my speed.

p.s. Dos box works at the same speed as virtual PC

Or use jcapper...........

michiken
08-16-2013, 09:51 PM
Paradox? Has been years since I have last heard of it.... Maybe you should consider something more modern. You can easily move your data to something like MySql, mongo, sqlite...

I have a version of my software that I wrote using PHP thru lamp. Paradox just remains the old battle tested version.

It takes about 30 seconds to import the data into Paradox using Dosbox under Linux and is useable for sure.

Ken

BIG49010
08-16-2013, 11:54 PM
Or use jcapper...........

I doubt it has the details I have in my reports, the manipulation that you can do with Paradox is quite amazing. The program I have basically reads the form looking for any of 100 possible trainer angles for each horse, then automatically pulls all the answers and records them to a file. It runs in background, and that takes the time, but it works for me.

BIG49010
08-16-2013, 11:57 PM
I have a version of my software that I wrote using PHP thru lamp. Paradox just remains the old battle tested version.

It takes about 30 seconds to import the data into Paradox using Dosbox under Linux and is useable for sure.

Ken

I know several business that still use it also, it was a great program, and pal was an easy language to work with.

JustRalph
08-17-2013, 12:16 AM
I doubt it has the details I have in my reports, the manipulation that you can do with Paradox is quite amazing. The program I have basically reads the form looking for any of 100 possible trainer angles for each horse, then automatically pulls all the answers and records them to a file. It runs in background, and that takes the time, but it works for me.

ok, but do yourself a favor and look. I don't get anything by selling it. I just see all these threads looking for programmers and people jumping through hoops to try and do things that jcapper does very easily.

Some (emphasis on some) jcapper factor stuff......lots more to learn if you want to take the time. just a suggestion

http://www.jcapper.com/factorsglossary.asp

BIG49010
08-17-2013, 11:16 AM
ok, but do yourself a favor and look. I don't get anything by selling it. I just see all these threads looking for programmers and people jumping through hoops to try and do things that jcapper does very easily.

Some (emphasis on some) jcapper factor stuff......lots more to learn if you want to take the time. just a suggestion

http://www.jcapper.com/factorsglossary.asp
I know about jcapper, but I my stats are very different, I'll leave it at that.

I looked into using the data from jcapper in place of bris, but it required a bunch of programming changes. This is a hobby, it's hard to justify and find the time, and energy to do too much.

tupper
08-18-2013, 01:42 PM
Your solution is in the first response (post #2). DOSbox is probably your best bet.

FreeDOS (http://www.freedos.org/) is another option, but you would have to boot it separately (or in a better VM). There is also a FreeDOS liveCD (http://www.z80.eu/freedoscd.html), but it might not recognize SATA drives.

BIG49010
08-19-2013, 01:47 PM
www.dbase.com (http://www.dbase.com/)

They have a product that greatly improves the reliability of dosbox, but it is geared to the dbase community. 99 dollars for any of you that perhaps still use dbase. The owner of company told me they plan an improved product that should help the speed of applications running on db dos { there dosbox} the product they offer. So perhaps there is hope down the road.

MJC922
09-03-2013, 07:25 PM
I purchased a new 64 bit computer and figured out how to run my old Paradox for dos on it. Problem is runs at snails pace, files that take a few minutes to run on old machine take double to triple the time running in Virtual PC.

Thanks

Solid state will make a big difference. To host a VM you need plenty of memory but just as important (if not more so) I/O capability which you will get from the SSD. Hosting Windows on top of Windows on top of a single spinning drive will be slow in most cases anyway. Mimimally add another drive and set the VM on that, and if it's an SSD now you're getting somewhere. I would not think about hosting even one 32bit VM without at least 8GB of memory on the 64bit host OS.

BIG49010
09-05-2013, 09:39 PM
Solid state will make a big difference. To host a VM you need plenty of memory but just as important (if not more so) I/O capability which you will get from the SSD. Hosting Windows on top of Windows on top of a single spinning drive will be slow in most cases anyway. Mimimally add another drive and set the VM on that, and if it's an SSD now you're getting somewhere. I would not think about hosting even one 32bit VM without at least 8GB of memory on the 64bit host OS.

I am in the process of changing over to solid state drive on new machine, I kind of thought that would help quite a bit, and I will make sure I have plenty
of memory. Thanks

BIG49010
10-06-2013, 10:48 AM
Had a friend that bought directly from Dell a 32bit Windows 7 I-5 laptop, designed for business, it is the Precision Line of laptops. Dell sells them off lease. Works like magic with my Paradox software, cuts time etc.. so for those that don't want to move into the modern world, this is a solution. I put the link to the website below.

http://www.dfsdirectsales.com/dell/ctl641/cp43623/cl2/precision

MJC922
10-09-2013, 07:45 PM
Had a friend that bought directly from Dell a 32bit Windows 7 I-5 laptop, designed for business, it is the Precision Line of laptops. Dell sells them off lease. Works like magic with my Paradox software, cuts time etc.. so for those that don't want to move into the modern world, this is a solution. I put the link to the website below.

http://www.dfsdirectsales.com/dell/ctl641/cp43623/cl2/precision

Good choice. Build quality there is usually much better than the consumer grade inspirion, i've thrown away one i5 inspirion recently myself... didn't get much more than 18 months out of it for $500. Consider them to be throw away at this point. I've always hesitated to buy used laptops though. The only ones I've bought used over the years are Toughbook CF-28s and CF-74's. I like the 74 because it's lighter weight. The 28 I'm convinced will outlive me.