PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Bris and Equibase Speed ratings?

cutchemist42
08-14-2013, 09:39 AM
I use Whobet's page for the PPs, but also pick up my local track's program (Assiniboia) for races. The program lists the Pace-Speed figure by Equibase. I was having trouble finding info on Equibase (Brisnet has a great library section) so I was wondering how to view the Equibase ratings. Do they attempt to say a 1 point difference equals 1 length or anything like that?

Thanks!

Tom
08-14-2013, 09:15 PM
I have never seen anything on EB numbers, but I did hear Ellis Starr today say one horse had numbers 120, 123 and the other one had numbers 106, 107 and that was about a length and a half difference, for what it's worth.

proximity
08-14-2013, 09:33 PM
i believe equibase is on the beyer scale plus maybe 20 points or so. look in your asd book at horses coming out of the same race and compare the beaten lengths and points difference and that should roughly tell you.

good luck!!

CincyHorseplayer
08-15-2013, 05:44 AM
I'll just say this.I don't like either of these figures because to me they seem clumped up and erratic.What I mean is it seems as though they are afraid to assign fast or slow figures.Every single race when looking at their figures seem like the whole field is separated by 2 lengths.That's why I love CJ's figures,because he'll say what it is and let you decide for yourself what it means.And that should be the point.

proximity
08-16-2013, 12:06 AM
i tried to remember to look at this today and a quick glance at both sets of pps yielded an example in today's 4th at Saratoga. in the last race out on june 8 at Belmont, sneaky blowout beat rap d'oro by 20 lengths going one mile.

horse....................equibase..........beyer

sneaky blowout.....88....................74
rap d'oro..............54....................36
difference.............34....................38

so apparently the scales, while close, are not precisely the same.

ubercapper
08-16-2013, 03:00 PM
I have never seen anything on EB numbers, but I did hear Ellis Starr today say one horse had numbers 120, 123 and the other one had numbers 106, 107 and that was about a length and a half difference, for what it's worth.

I probably took to much cold medicine when I said that. ;)

I likely meant a second and a half.

At a mile, one point equates to 1/10 of a second (10 points per second at a mile)

The relationship of points:seconds varies:
For all distances the number of SR points per second = 80 / distance in furlongs
a) so for 1 mile, 80/8 = 10 or 10 SR points per second
b) so for 3/4 mile, 80/6 = 13.33 SR points per second
c) so for 1/2 mile, 80/4 = 20 SR points per second

To calculate for lengths use 1/6 of a second per length.

Tom
08-16-2013, 04:01 PM
Thanks, Ellis.....I listen to you guys on my drive home!

ubercapper
08-17-2013, 11:40 AM
Thanks, Ellis.....I listen to you guys on my drive home!
So you're the one. :)

Jeff P
08-17-2013, 01:27 PM
Sometimes the ads that auto generate based on the thread content crack me up...

-jp

Pensacola Pete
08-18-2013, 10:32 PM
Equibase speed ratings are supplied by the DRF. I don't know the formula that's used, but they aren't the Beyer figures.

Greyfox
08-18-2013, 11:20 PM
Equibase speed ratings are supplied by the DRF. I don't know the formula that's used, but they aren't the Beyer figures.

If they are simple linear transformations, I wouldn't worry, if you have your own pace figures and an algorithm that utilizes pace and speed.

Capper Al
08-19-2013, 07:31 AM
http://pacefigures.com/articles/racingpost.html

The link above doesn't have Equibase figures, but it has Beyer and BRIS. I haven't studied it so I don't know how good the comparison is. Maybe someone would have a similar chart with EB figures.

ubercapper
08-19-2013, 08:43 AM

Actually, Equibase Speed Figures are produced by TrackMaster. The DRF uses them in some products like the daily racing program.

David Siegel of TrackMaster put together a video some time back.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHaEnuBNXuY

ubercapper
08-19-2013, 08:46 AM
http://pacefigures.com/articles/racingpost.html

The link above doesn't have Equibase figures, but it has Beyer and BRIS. I haven't studied it so I don't know how good the comparison is. Maybe someone would have a similar chart with EB figures.

Here's a chart comparing figures put together by Dr. Steven Roman (Chef-de-race.

http://www.chef-de-race.com/pfs/comparative_speed_figs.htm