PDA

View Full Version : Collection Agency Call for Wrong Number

Dave Schwartz
08-13-2013, 04:11 PM
Okay, time for a short rant.

I come home to a cryptic message on my answering machine telling me that I need to call some 800 number on an urgent matter. Clearly it was a collection call.

So, I call the number and the first thing they do is start asking me for information.

I refuse, and I get "The Tone." You know the one... "Now, SIR, you don't need to have an attitude with me."

I laugh and say, "Let's understand. You left a number and I called."

"Is this the number that the message was left on?"

"I have no idea. You have reached a business. We have several numbers. Why don't you give me a name?"

So, the agent gives me a name. (Why is it they can never pronounce the names right? And, yes, this is not my first rodeo like this one.) I say that I have never heard of Michael Ribisiwitz or whatever it was.

The amazing thing is that the agent begins to quiz me. Who is the owner of the business? I said, "I did not call you to share my information."

"Sir, you need to calm down." LOL Click.

This was a new name. I guess we will add it to the Sergeant McMahon calls (which they automated caller refers to as "Mac-Ma-Hone"), and the Donald Yeager calls, and the other 3 guys (one of which actually worked for me at one time). There is NOTHING we can do to stop them from calling apparently.

The strange thing is that we have had these numbers for like 12 years and we still get calls for new collections!

Okay, I am finished with my rant. Thanks for listening.

thaskalos
08-13-2013, 04:40 PM
My phone rings waking me up at 8:30 in the morning...and this after a disastrous night of betting at Mountaineer. The conversation goes like this:

ME - "Hello..."

CALLER - "Hello sir. May I ask...is this the decision-maker in the house?"

ME - "Well...yes."

CALLER - "Sir, please tell me...would you describe yourself as the sort of 'go-getter' who has no problem making a decision right away on something that could have a huge effect on your future, and the future of those who are dependant upon you?

ME - "Well, yes...I'd like to think so..."

CALLER - "Well...congratulation then, sir. You are exactly the sort of person that we are looking for. And please forgive the somewhat intrusive questions. We find that the vast majority of the people we encounter fail to meet our requirements...and we like to address this issue right up front."

ME - "Let me understand this. You are calling me at 8:30 in the morning while knowing full-well that I most likely won't meet the strict requirements that you demand of your customers?"

CALLER - (silence...and then CLICK) :)

cj
08-13-2013, 04:52 PM
My phone rings waking me up at 8:30 in the morning...and this after a disastrous night of betting at Mountaineer. The conversation goes like this:

ME - "Hello..."

CALLER - "Hello sir. May I ask...is this the decision-maker in the house?"

ME - "Well...yes."

CALLER - "Sir, please tell me...would you describe yourself as the sort of 'go-getter' who has no problem making a decision right away on something that could have a huge effect on your future, and the future of those who are dependant upon you?

ME - "Well, yes...I'd like to think so..."

CALLER - "Well...congratulation then, sir. You are exactly the sort of person that we are looking for. And please forgive the somewhat intrusive questions. We find that the vast majority of the people we encounter fail to meet our requirements...and we like to address this issue right up front."

ME - "Let me understand this. You are calling me at 8:30 in the morning while knowing full-well that I most likely won't meet the strict requirements that you demand of your customers?"

CALLER - (silence...and then CLICK) :)

Calls like that, I tell them hold on one second, need to grab my coffee, then I just leave the phone sit. You'd be amazed how long they stay on the line sometimes.

Mike at A+
08-13-2013, 05:22 PM
Calls like that, I tell them hold on one second, need to grab my coffee, then I just leave the phone sit. You'd be amazed how long they stay on the line sometimes.
I've used that same tactic several times. Lately I've been getting these calls for a "free" medical alert system. The old "I've fallen and I can't get up" gadget. The call sounds live and they start "speaking" right after you say hello. However when you try to interrupt it just keeps on speaking. I've also been getting calls from companies that want to switch your electric service. They are the most obnoxious and they go something like this:
Caller: I need to speak with the person who takes care of the electric bill.
Me: You NEED??? I'll tell you what you need. You need to tell your boss to go f*** himself.

cj
08-13-2013, 05:25 PM
When I was a kid, our number was one different from a nearby 7-11. I haven't seen this at other 7-11s, but you could order pizza from them. My dad will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure after a while he just started taking the orders. I imagine there were some unhappy people showing up at 7-11 for pizza.

Dave Schwartz
08-13-2013, 05:35 PM
When I was a kid, our number was one different from a nearby 7-11. I haven't seen this at other 7-11s, but you could order pizza from them. My dad will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure after a while he just started taking the orders. I imagine there were some unhappy people showing up at 7-11 for pizza.

CJ,

Thanks. I enjoyed that. :lol:

And I can see your dad doing exactly that.

Dave

Steve 'StatMan'
08-13-2013, 05:51 PM
I used to get calls from a slimy collection agency, that often left a message and a toll-free number. They often bought old debts, even very old debts beyond the 7 year limit, and would make calls trying to collect. They used various methods to make potential associations to current addressees and numbers and made their calls looking for that person. I had been in my old condo for over 8 years, and the person before that (also someone other that whom they were looking for) had been there a few years, etc. With the calls to me, they were looking for a Diane Miller (I'm Steve Miller) that had lived in the building in another unit about the time I'd moved in there 8 years earlier. I figure they just tried matching by main address and last name, ignoring apartment numbers, etc, hoping her and I were married or family or something. They left messages at least once or twice a week for about a month. I finally called them back, and when they asked for Diane Miller, told them what I wrote above, no relation, 50+ unit apartment building, that name vanished from call-box years ago. They thanked me kindly and call ended. They did however call me again 2 years later, same situation. Slimey method of doing business.

098poi
08-13-2013, 06:15 PM

That sounds like a Seinfeld episode with Kramer taking the orders. There was one where I think people were calling Kramer thinking he was the Movie phone guy and he would answer in a robotic voice, press 1 for movies, press 2 for showtimes etc. Classic.

cj
08-13-2013, 06:25 PM
That sounds like a Seinfeld episode with Kramer taking the orders. There was one where I think people were calling Kramer thinking he was the Movie phone guy and he would answer in a robotic voice, press 1 for movies, press 2 for showtimes etc. Classic.

"Why don't you just tell me where you want to see the movie!"

098poi
08-13-2013, 06:32 PM
That's the one!!

highnote
08-13-2013, 06:40 PM
As soon as the person starts in with the sales pitch or starts asking question, I interrupt them and give my standard answer, "I'm sorry, but we don't take these kinds of calls at this number."

And then hang up.

I actually have a little sympathy for telephone sales people because I used to do that job part time in college. It was the job I disliked the most of all the jobs I've done. The bosses always gave the best product lines to sell to the salespeople who had been there the longest.

One night, they let me sell pizzas for the local high school. I sold hundreds and was really racking up the commissions. They took me off that product and gave it to an old-timer and put me on home alarm systems. I didn't sell any of those. I quit not long after. Thank god I was a student and didn't have a family to provide for. I'd probably have lost my mind.

I do remember one telephone answering machine that everyone in the office would call just for the heck of it. It was a New York City number. A sexy woman's voice delivered a message that went something like, "We can't come to the phone right now because we're all tied up." :D

If I'm not mistaken, I actually got through to that woman and she renewed her magazine subscription. :)

Stillriledup
08-13-2013, 07:22 PM
I would never answer the phone unless i know the number...everything else goes to voice mail (or, they hang up).

Many years ago i mistakenly answered a telemarketer and he asked "is the man of the house at home". I said "it depends, who are you looking for" he said "the man of the house" i was like "well, if you can give me his name, i can get you to the man, if not, than we're going to have a problem".

I think that he hung up or something like that, but it was fun giving someone like that the business.

wisconsin
08-13-2013, 07:48 PM
Since we unpublished the number, we don't get calls, but we used to get those "You won the Irish Sweeps Lottery" and I would always act so overjoyed and then pretend to tell me wife and ignore the caller before hanging up. I also used to ask the caller begging for a donation to donate to a cause I make up right then and there, like "Save the Whales" they just sit in stunned silence...

Tom
08-13-2013, 08:26 PM
I keep a police whistle next to my home phone.......for just such low lifes.

Ocala Mike
08-14-2013, 10:58 AM
We have an unlisted number, and are on every "do not call" list possible, however somehow many years ago my wife sent a small donation to something called the Florida Association of State Troopers as a result of a phone solicitation.

I have since learned that this "organization" is a total scam. To this day, they call about twice a week, always asking for my wife. The caller id sometimes gives a 407 area code, and sometimes gives "unknown caller."

Repeated abuse (in my own special way) of the poor flunkies making the calls hasn't stopped them. I'm told that they are required to call each number 50 times a month. I'm about ready to file a formal complaint with someone, but, this being the Sunshine State (a scam-friendly environment), I haven't bothered yet.

highnote
08-14-2013, 11:08 AM
Maybe it is time to fight fire with fire by finding their address and sending them a bill for your time. If they do not pay you turn the bills over to a collection agency.

We have an unlisted number, and are on every "do not call" list possible, however somehow many years ago my wife sent a small donation to something called the Florida Association of State Troopers as a result of a phone solicitation.

I have since learned that this "organization" is a total scam. To this day, they call about twice a week, always asking for my wife. The caller id sometimes gives a 407 area code, and sometimes gives "unknown caller."

Repeated abuse (in my own special way) of the poor flunkies making the calls hasn't stopped them. I'm told that they are required to call each number 50 times a month. I'm about ready to file a formal complaint with someone, but, this being the Sunshine State (a scam-friendly environment), I haven't bothered yet.

magwell
08-14-2013, 11:15 AM
I tell them I'm investigating a homicide crime scene here, do you know these people and ask for their info in case I need them to come down to the police station for questioning , all I usually get is a fast hang up or I don't know the people or sorry I called a wrong number .......:)

tucker6
08-14-2013, 11:16 AM
If my wife has the time and is annoyed at the call, she'll talk to the telemarketer for long periods of time soaking up their time by talking about just anything that comes to mind. She'll even delve into their product and ask questions as she's sipping her wine. I'm usually off in the corner laughing and shaking my head. In every instance, they eventually hang up on her or she'll finally announce that she's not interested in the product. Doing our part one call at a time.

iceknight
08-14-2013, 11:24 AM
I tell them I'm investigating a homicide crime scene here, do you know these people and ask for their info in case I need them to come down to the police station for questioning , all I usually get is a fast hang up or I don't know the people or sorry I called a wrong number .......:) haha nice one.. although I have read that joke online!

Regarding phone no mixups at 711 and pizza orders.. it reminds of this one which i read a couple of days back.

http://hotelstories.freeservers.com/jokes.htm

highnote
08-14-2013, 11:31 AM
I forgot about that one. It's a classic!

haha nice one.. although I have read that joke online!

Regarding phone no mixups at 711 and pizza orders.. it reminds of this one which i read a couple of days back.

http://hotelstories.freeservers.com/jokes.htm

Robert Fischer
08-14-2013, 12:59 PM
I usually ignore/mute/block them.

When I do answer, I do so as my butler, warn them that the call "may be recorded for quality assurance purposes" and then try to initiate phone sex.

Longshot6977
08-14-2013, 08:53 PM
Lately I've been getting these calls for a "free" medical alert system. The old "I've fallen and I can't get up" gadget. The call sounds live and they start "speaking" right after you say hello. However when you try to interrupt it just keeps on speaking. I've also been getting calls from companies that want to switch your electric service.

Must be an east coast thing. I have been getting the 'free prepaid medical alert device' scam with free prepaid shipping for about a month now. (in NJ) Seems like every 3 or 4 days. It's very convincing since the voice sounds like it's in real time. It's funny to ask silly questions and the guy keeps talking since it's a recording. Also getting the 'switch electric service' deal. I tell them no everytime, but they are persistent and still call about once/week.

By the way, when solicitors knock on the door(be it Jevohah Witnesses, fresh Grade A meat sales, above electric company or whatever, I tell them I'm just about to take a shower and to come in and join me and we'll discuss it. They leave immediately hahaha.:lol: That's one way to get rid of them for good.