PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga Selections: Mon., August 12

Teach
08-12-2013, 11:25 AM

Race One:

:5: Inflation Target drops in class and stretches out. This well-bred, expensively-priced 4-year-old gelding has been away from the winner’s circle since he had a ring placed around him it at Belmont in mid-July of last year. However, this Tapit-bred gelding may well be coming up to a big race. All the horse may need is a clean trip (he was bumped in his last). However, I should mention - for the record - that the jockey Rosie Napravnik and trainer Richard Violette, Jr. are both having a mediocre meet.

Also consider: 6, 8, 7

Race Two:

:6: Bin Elusive should be in a good stalking position. The filly finished off the board in her last effort on the turf at Arlington Park. She should do better switching back to the main track and shortening up a panel. Looking to see if Rosie Napravnik can bring in both ends of the early double. This Gone West-bred filly has hit the tote in six of eight lifetime tries. Trainer Mike Maker is having a solid meet; he’s good with both shippers and turf-to-dirt.

Also Consider: 7, 8, 2

Race Three:

:5: Magical Moon gets my nod in this 5 ½ furlong turf sprint. The Malibu Moon-bred filly should be in a good stalking position as the distaffers turn into the lane. Joel Rosario, the meet’s leading rider, is in the irons for trainer Al Stall, Jr. The filly is two for two at this distance on the lawn.

Also Consider: 3, 2

Race Four:

:5: Insighting has had some recent troubled trips. In his most recent effort, this 3-year-old Pulpit-bred colt took a most circuitous route to the outside in a turf sprint. The colt simply ran out of real estate. Prior to that, the horse got bumped and shut off; he ended up finishing out of the money. I believe eight panels is this colt’s ideal distance. A clean, trouble-free trip is all that appears needed. Joel Rosario for Steve Asmussen.

Also Consider: 4, 6, 8

Race Five:

:8: Due Diligence appears to be the stickout in this maiden special-weight turf sprint. The Danzig-bred colt has solid turf lineage on both sides of his family. All that would appear necessary is an alert start. The dynamic duo of Javier Castellano and Chad Brown are both having an excellent meet. One caveat: Chad Brown has a low percentage with first-time starters.

Also Consider: 9. 4, 2

Race Six:

:6: Passionforsongs is my long-shot play on today’s card. I might mention that I’m eschewing the logical choice, Inaflash, whom I believe can hit the tote but is vulnerable. Anyway, Passionforsongs got bumped at the break in her last. Prior to that at Aqueduct in early November the filly was out and winging in much better company but got caught in the stretch. The disaffirms trainer, Randi Persaud, is forsaking the apprentice riders for a more experienced Rajiv Maragh. In this wide-open race, this horse has a chance.

Also Consider: 3, 8, 7

Race Seven:

:5: The Truth and K G (Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett) should be on or near the front end. The Valid Appeal-bred colt may well take them all the way. Impressive effort in The Bayshore at Aqueduct this past spring. Trainer Rudy Rodriguez is good with starters who’ve been way from the track for two or three months. Jose Ortiz in the irons.

Also Consider: 8, 2, 6

Race Eight:

:7: Troilus (and Cressida…for you Shakespeare fans) is another long-shot try where each of the owners, to paraphrase “The Bard.” must be pleading: “A horse, a horse, my kingdom for a horse - who can get the distance”). Well, I think Troilus might just be that horse. This Speightstown-bred has won two races at a mile. Closing. Closing. Yes, this horse should be closing. Joel Rosario in the irons for Steve Asmussen.

Also Consider: 3, 1, 5

Race Nine:

:5: Radiohead shortens up to distance where the Johannesburg-bred gelding has hit the tote on five of six occasions. The horse is capable of turning on the afterburners and galloping out for the early lead. The trainer switch is significant. Although it must be stated that jockey David Cohen is having a less than stellar meet, he‘s capable of getting the job done. Third start off a layoff.

Also Consider: 6, 2, 3

Race Ten:

:8: Glamour Galore is another long-shot try in a field that has more questions than answers, i.e., some horses are making a mighty quick turnaround; others haven’t run the distance; and still others have never run on the turf. I’m taking a shot, a gambler’s throw, that this horse who has run on the turf but has never run more than six furlongs, can get the job done. I do believe this Storm Cat-bred filly can get the distance. Jockey Jose Ortiz has been riding well, and although trainer Linda Rice is not having one of her better meets, she’s very good with horses going from sprint to route. As my old history professor used to say, “You pays your nickel, you takes your chances.”

Also Consider: 4, 10, 7

Teach
08-12-2013, 12:43 PM
A handicapping note: Although I prefer :5: Inflation Target, :6: Tummel is ridden by Jose Ortiz. If you're a hunch player, Ortiz has won the first race on the last three Saratoga cards: Friday, Saturday and Sunday. On Friday, he brought in the early double.

Teach

The Spaniard
08-12-2013, 12:57 PM
R1: a race without pace, lottery race. :6: TUMMEL is a very consistent horse on dirt (40% win/50% in the exacta) and the turf race in the meeting should have put him more race fit.

2nd

The Spaniard
08-12-2013, 01:29 PM
R2: :2: I JUST WANNA HAVE FUN had a very wide trip last time. Today he can make better use of her speed with a good draw.

Last

The Spaniard
08-12-2013, 02:00 PM
R3: Anthony Dutrow is putting live horses in the meeting, and (6)LITTLE SANDY, bred top and bottom for turf, could close in the last furlong to complete the exacta behind untouchable :5: MAGICAL MOON.

exacta: :5: - :6:

2nd & 3rd

poor bridge jumpers!!!

The Spaniard
08-12-2013, 02:34 PM
R4: enigmatic race. :4: LEROY JR. Bred for turf, trainer an amazing 32% win with 6 months + layoffs. :10: SALTINE WARRIOR (router with turf siblings) for the exacta.

NP & 3rd

enough Saratoga for today