PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Woods in Majors

Birdstone
08-12-2013, 12:48 AM
Is there a more overrated player in Major Championships right now than Tiger Woods? Dude goes completely MIA, especially on Days 3 and/or 4.

wiffleball whizz
08-12-2013, 12:59 AM
Is there a more overrated player in Major Championships right now than Tiger Woods? Dude goes completely MIA, especially on Days 3 and/or 4.

It's not easy to win.....everybody is trying to win these 4 events...

He will win one next year....tiger is back

Birdstone
08-12-2013, 01:14 AM
It's not easy to win.....everybody is trying to win these 4 events...

He will win one next year....tiger is back

I agree that the competition is toughest at the 4 Majors, but Tiger's game in Majors has been far sub-par. Perhaps the pressure is getting to him?

As a side note, Tiger was anointed to win all 4 Majors this year by the "all-knowing" media. It is exactly like hearing about the Oklahoma Sooners in College Football. Every year OU is Top 5 or 10 and "it is their year", only to not win the National Title.

wiffleball whizz
08-12-2013, 01:17 AM
I agree that the competition is toughest at the 4 Majors, but Tiger's game in Majors has been far sub-par. Perhaps the pressure is getting to him?

As a side note, Tiger was anointed to win all 4 Majors this year by the "all-knowing" media. It is exactly like hearing about the Oklahoma Sooners in College Football. Every year OU is Top 5 or 10 and "it is their year", only to not win the National Title.

I agree OU is always picked to win it all but then they lose at home to Texas tech or they go on the Road and get buried by iowa st,...always mess up somehow...

The majors though are tough conditions

cj
08-12-2013, 01:21 AM
I agree OU is always picked to win it all but then they lose at home to Texas tech or they go on the Road and get buried by iowa st,...always mess up somehow...

The majors though are tough conditions

OU buried by Iowa State? Come on...

wiffleball whizz
08-12-2013, 01:35 AM
OU buried by Iowa State? Come on...

Prob a bad example.....they always lose a game they shouldn't lose every year....they had the world on a plate about 3 years ago in the lightning game against TT......you can't lose at home at night to the red raiders im sorry....

Every year somebody beats them......they had zero business losing at home to nd last year.....I don't know what there problem is but every year it's the same song....

Greyfox
08-12-2013, 06:23 AM
In comparison to the regular run of the mill tournaments which go every weekend, the bar for the 4 majors rises.
For whatever reason, other players are playing better golf than Tiger is during these 4 special events.
Even on his best days, he would have a hard time matching them and the older that he gets, the more difficult these majors will become.
His pursuit of perfectionism has interfered with scoring well.

rastajenk
08-12-2013, 10:17 AM
I think he can win another Masters or two, and if St Andrews remains in The Open rotation, which it obviously will, he will have a good chance there two or three more times. His chances in the other two depend on the courses involved, among a dozen other factors.

LottaKash
08-12-2013, 10:51 AM
Perhaps the pressure is getting to him?

Perhaps, one could've left off the Perhaps in that statement....:D

horses4courses
08-12-2013, 11:47 AM
Advancing years and the trappings of success are what's getting to him.
I think he has few worries, though, about his overall play.

Oak Hill is a course he played poorly on in the past. He did so again.
Look what he did at Firestone the previous week. His game is good right now.
He will win at least a few more majors down the road.
Augusta for sure, and a British Open, or two.

Marshall Bennett
08-12-2013, 12:15 PM
I find this amusing. He's won what, 4 events this year or is it 5? Go back in years past and find how many others even have 3. Now you want him to win all 4 majors as well. He doesn't so he's overrated or burnt out.
Either you simply hate Tiger or you don't follow golf. Pick one.

Greyfox
08-12-2013, 12:34 PM
I find this amusing. He's won what, 4 events this year or is it 5? Go back in years past and find how many others even have 3. Now you want him to win all 4 majors as well. He doesn't so he's overrated or burnt out.
Either you simply hate Tiger or you don't follow golf. Pick one.

I don't hate Tiger. I just don't care for his pouty demeanour, spitting, and swearing.
No one here has said anything about winning 4 majors in addition to his wins this year.
The fact is Tiger has not won a major since 2008.
The majors are the canary in the mine as to how his game actually is.

mountainman
08-12-2013, 01:24 PM
I think he just wants it too badly. Still no doubt he's the best on earth-and it's not even close.

Here's a novel question: Why MUST tiger win the most majors to be acknowledged as the greatest ever? He will far surpass Nicklaus in total victories, and shouldn't THAT also be considered when comparing their careers?????

cj
08-12-2013, 02:03 PM
I think he just wants it too badly. Still no doubt he's the best on earth-and it's not even close.

Here's a novel question: Why MUST tiger win the most majors to be acknowledged as the greatest ever? He will far surpass Nicklaus in total victories, and shouldn't THAT also be considered when comparing their careers?????

Tiger is the one that has emphasized majors his entire career, who are we to argue with him in the GOAT discussion?

Greyfox
08-12-2013, 02:11 PM

Cigar had a lot of victories too.
Do they overshadow Triple Crown wins??

Jay Trotter
08-12-2013, 06:35 PM
A few points.....

As Greyfox said "I just don't care for his pouty demeanour, spitting, and swearing." I'm definately turned off by Tiger's attitude or at least the impression I get while watching the broadcasts.

Tiger is the one who has emphasized the majors as the measuring stick of success, so who are we to argue, as was previously stated. In saying that I don't think he is choking in the majors, it's just very difficult to win. He obviously proved in the Bridgestone he is sharp and capable of winning.

Finally, I think Tiger's 14 major wins might already be more impressive than Jack's 18 wins (although his 19 2nds & 9 3rds dwarf Tiger). Back in Jack's day there were maybe a dozen top calibre guys capable of winning. In today's game there are at least 50 top calibre guys capable of victory and another 50 guys who could surprise without really being a surprise. It is simply tougher to dominate in the modern era.

My two cents worth. :ThmbUp:

elysiantraveller
08-12-2013, 06:52 PM
A few points.....

I agree. SVP had some good points on his show today. TW played in 12 tourney's an won 5 this year. That's a 42% win record and absolutely INSANE.