PDA

View Full Version : Derby Trial

exactatom
08-10-2013, 10:21 AM
Now that the points awarded for the Kentucky Derby have been taken away from this race, hence no longer allowing to be a wild card or race of last resort for a Derby hopeful, doesn't this end all importance of this race? I hate to see it, as in the old days, when horse's ran more frequently, a few Derby horses would race here. I used to look forward to opening day at Churchill. The track would give some giveaway, you would see the improvements made at the track and you would see a Graded race. To me it seems like this race has been relegated to some mid level feature race ran late at night in which the contestants will rarely be seen again in any races of consequence.

Tom
08-10-2013, 12:01 PM
Makes sense - take away points fro their own DERBY PREP.
Why not just dump the race and add a weinner dog race?

cj
08-10-2013, 12:38 PM
Makes sense - take away points fro their own DERBY PREP.
Why not just dump the race and add a weinner dog race?

Of course they added their own Iriquois Stakes, which is pretty comical, while still leaving the Illinois Derby out.

BlueShoe
08-10-2013, 01:16 PM
As a traditionalist, have been saddened by the fact that the Derby Trial has been anything but that. In the old days many Derby winners raced in the Trial on Tuesday and then right back 4 days later in the Derby, which would be unheard of today. Even when it went back to the Saturday before, 7 days, very few colts used the Trial as a final prep. The last colt to win both the Trial and the Derby was Tim Tam in 1958. The last colt to win the Derby Trial and then race well in the Derby was Don't Get Mad, who finished 4th in 2005. Would like to see more colts go in the Trial and come back in the Derby, but in the modern trend of spacing races, this may not come to pass.

ronsmac
08-10-2013, 05:43 PM
I can't remember too many derby trial horses running in the derby in recent yrs, maybe I just haven't been following it that closely.

forced89
08-11-2013, 12:10 AM
I think the extensive use of Lasix may have something to do with the unwillingness to run horses back on short rest.

Stillriledup
08-11-2013, 12:22 AM
Of course they added their own Iriquois Stakes, which is pretty comical, while still leaving the Illinois Derby out.

They're being a bully on this one. They are also the company who bought Hollywood and then sold it to the "killers" when they couldnt get their precious slots. They're also the company who is in this odd battle in Florida.

Has anyone ever said these people care about the game, the fans, the gamblers or the horsemen?

Tom
08-11-2013, 10:54 AM
I avoid the Churchill products as much as I a can.
Why support total jerks?
Lots of races out there.

therussmeister
08-11-2013, 11:41 AM
They're being a bully on this one. They are also the company who bought Hollywood and then sold it to the "killers" when they couldnt get their precious slots. They're also the company who is in this odd battle in Florida.

Has anyone ever said these people care about the game, the fans, the gamblers or the horsemen?
But they are not the bully in Florida.

Cannon shell
08-12-2013, 05:42 PM
But they are not the bully in Florida.
Sure they are. They take out their frustrations on the horsemen when their issues are with GP.

Cannon shell
08-12-2013, 05:44 PM
Now that the points awarded for the Kentucky Derby have been taken away from this race, hence no longer allowing to be a wild card or race of last resort for a Derby hopeful, doesn't this end all importance of this race? I hate to see it, as in the old days, when horse's ran more frequently, a few Derby horses would race here. I used to look forward to opening day at Churchill. The track would give some giveaway, you would see the improvements made at the track and you would see a Graded race. To me it seems like this race has been relegated to some mid level feature race ran late at night in which the contestants will rarely be seen again in any races of consequence.
The Derby Trial hasn't meant much Derbywise for a long time even before this stupid point system. That doesn't mean that it isn't still a decent race.

PoloUK6108
08-13-2013, 02:04 AM
I avoid the Churchill products as much as I a can.
Why support total jerks?
Lots of races out there.

Hate to say it since its my home track, but if it wasn't I'd do just that. They are total jerks and the place is a shell of what it was even in my lifetime. The Derby Trial has been irrelevant for awhile and just an excuse for Downs after Dark, which I'm all for, but scrap the trial and run another established stakes on opening night. Aside from Derby and Oaks which also have some disappointing aspects, the Downs is really gone to sh*t IMO. If you ask me its part of the "Louisville disease" (rabid UK fan and city of Louisville hater) that is getting out of control. Beautiful Lexington, KY and Keeneland is where my heart is.