PDA

View Full Version : Japan says Fukushima leak worse than thought

maddog42
08-09-2013, 08:58 AM
They are contemplating Freezing an area of Earth nearly 1 mile across, seemingly permanantly to stop the leak.This has never been attempted on this scale.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/07/us-japan-fukushima-pm-idUSBRE97601K20130807

tucker6
08-09-2013, 11:03 AM
It was never worse than I thought. It is exactly as I and many thought at the time. Anyone who believed the party line of the Japanese at the time were drunk on saki. When a core melts through the concrete and enters the earth, you've lost containment on an elemental level and there's no getting it back.

Tom
08-09-2013, 11:07 AM
Sad how this story is just about completely ignored, but we get massive coverage today about Beyonce's new do.

PaceAdvantage
08-09-2013, 09:36 PM
Who was the user in off topic who was telling us that there was no reason not to believe the official word coming out of Japan at the time of this accident?

tucker6
08-09-2013, 09:54 PM
we'll never see this frozen earth, science fiction idea put into action. Typical Japanese response to a crisis. Pick a farfetched idea to create public sympathy/pride for the technical struggle, and then spring a less inspiring solution that is more in line with actual capabilities. The public will forgive because the alternative was too demanding. Everyone saves face, which is the Japanese way of things.

OntheRail
08-10-2013, 12:56 AM
Radioactive water... and we end up with.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-gKKJqFrj1bs/UJFR4aDgcpI/AAAAAAAAKAA/UA6ErJJ5Q8c/s400/Godzilla+Sighting.jpg

http://pleatedjeans.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/godzilla-king-of-monsters.jpg

All joking aside this is f*cked up... I figured they be dumping sand and pumping concrete into that hole. Not pouring radiation into the Ocean. If the US had done this the International outcry would be deafening.

tucker6
08-10-2013, 07:27 AM
All joking aside this is f*cked up... I figured they be dumping sand and pumping concrete into that hole. Not pouring radiation into the Ocean. If the US had done this the International outcry would be deafening.
You can be certain both the US and Japanese govts knew of this leak all the time. The worldwide nuclear agency (IAEA) monitors things like radiation levels constantly, and would have known before the fishermen reported it, and likely as soon as the leak occurred. We're not talking stupid, incompetent people here. So, collectively, the world is okay with some people getting ill from radiation poisoning if it protects industry and govts from having to face their mistakes.

Here's a recent article on the IAEA website that discusses their taking over radiactive remediation for the next 3 years at this site.

http://www.iaea.org/newscenter/news/2013/missionfukushima.html

Tom
08-10-2013, 12:11 PM
You can be certain both the US and Japanese govts knew of this leak all the time.

Of course they did.
They took care to protect their own interests and people and screwed the rest of the world.

As has always been the role of all governments.

But wouldn't it be great to see a Godzilla come out of the sea and attack DC?

tucker6
08-10-2013, 04:15 PM
Of course they did.
They took care to protect their own interests and people and screwed the rest of the world.

As has always been the role of all governments.

But wouldn't it be great to see a Godzilla come out of the sea and attack DC?
You'd think the terrorists would be smart enough to bait some radiation in the Pacific and create a Godzilla. Would save lots of time and effort training to fight us everywhere. Everyone knows Godzilla only attacks world capitals. :D

TJDave
08-10-2013, 04:21 PM
Japan is still way-the-f' over there, right?

tucker6
08-10-2013, 04:35 PM
Japan is still way-the-f' over there, right?
I'm not sure that was the point. The point is that both the Japanese and American govts withheld vital health information from the locals over there (yes, it's still way the heck over there just beyond the horizon), and waited until they had face-saving methods in place before "warning" of a leak. Up until now, they had denied the leak existed. However, if you read the fine print from the article I posted about the IAEA, you can discern that they were asked to assist as early as last year to help with this "non leak".

PaceAdvantage
08-11-2013, 02:25 AM
Japan is still way-the-f' over there, right?Didn't tsunami wreckage eventually wash up on the western shores of the USA? Took a while, but it got there...

What's the half life of the stuff that's been leaking into the ocean for over TWO YEARS now? Think it won't make it our way?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Nmmp8p2Rkg0/TvngdG2MDEI/AAAAAAAAAFk/2aV5-4TdIaE/w800-h800/godzilla_facepalm.jpg

iceknight
08-11-2013, 03:58 AM
Sad how this story is just about completely ignored, but we get massive coverage today about Beyonce's new do. Could you post a link please? :lol:

But, seriously, I think if the trail of money is followed (Uranium futures, new nuke plant construction - Bechtel, and politicians etc who own large stakes in such industry)- it will be clear how much information is always swept under the carpet and hidden from public view.

Saratoga_Mike
12-08-2013, 03:10 PM
“The estimated radiation level is the highest ever detected outside reactor buildings. People exposed to this level of radiation would die within 20 minutes.”

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/news/20131207_01.html

newtothegame
02-21-2014, 06:15 AM
New highly radioactive leak at Japan's Fukushima plant

"100 metric tons of highly contaminated water had leaked out of a tank, the worst incident since last August, when a series of radioactive water leaks sparked international alarm"

http://news.yahoo.com/highly-radioactive-leak-japan-39-fukushima-plant-045324842--finance.html

This is getting way out of control......Suggest you all read some of the comments....
Yes some are way over the top but I believe there are some spot on....

davew
02-21-2014, 06:35 AM
I hope it dilutes down enough to not kill the entire Pacific Ocean. It is too bad that it will drastically effect Japan, China, Russia during next 20 years.

newtothegame
02-21-2014, 08:03 AM
I hope it dilutes down enough to not kill the entire Pacific Ocean. It is too bad that it will drastically effect Japan, China, Russia during next 20 years.
Dave, you mentioned several countries, and excluded one main one...US!!!
If I am not mistaken, there have already been elevated reading along the west coast of the U.S..
Now, I am not so sure how reliable some of the commenters are on that story, but there was one I read where this guy, who every year sails across the pacific, did so last year. He reported it was "eerie" and lacked a lot of normal oceanic life he would normally see (on past trips). He even mentioned seeing one lone hump back with what appeared to be a rather large tumor on its head.
Again, I do not know nor claim any validity in the commenters story. Only that there seems to be little, if any real news coming from Japan in regards to this issue.

PaceAdvantage
02-21-2014, 09:42 AM
I just wish I could remember who on here was trying to tell me I was wrong in thinking this was way worse then they were letting on when this all first went down.

I think it's still FAR WORSE than what they are admitting to even now. I hope this doesn't end up putting global warming to shame (as well as the incandescent bulb) as far as global environmental concerns go... :rolleyes:

spicytomato
02-21-2014, 10:58 AM
Quite a bit of the global warming has to do with what we are doing
in the green line of our earth and yes our waters

The more polluted the waters - It can not function as it did to provide
us with the oxygen it did in the good ole days

And, thanks to big big business and the want for cheap fast food
We are losing more and more of the land that would have cleaned
the air for us - Not to mention medicinal properties of plant life there

so here we have the big business.. buying from people half a world away
then sending to process another half a world away, just to get to the
hundreds of places (eateries , supermarket etc. ) half a world away
for the dollar menu item that no longer is even close to what you ordered
for the kids to eat half and toss

Awareness and action would have people
eat locally , seasonal , organically grown , no till food

but thats too hard to do when people insist on banana and pineapple
year round...

So much of the worlds resources wasted on bad habits alone

just sayin

Valuist
02-21-2014, 12:06 PM
Didn't tsunami wreckage eventually wash up on the western shores of the USA? Took a while, but it got there...

What's the half life of the stuff that's been leaking into the ocean for over TWO YEARS now? Think it won't make it our way?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Nmmp8p2Rkg0/TvngdG2MDEI/AAAAAAAAAFk/2aV5-4TdIaE/w800-h800/godzilla_facepalm.jpg

http://cir.ca/news/japan-tsunami-debris

tucker6
02-21-2014, 12:45 PM
Quite a bit of the global warming has to do with what we are doing
in the green line of our earth and yes our waters

The more polluted the waters - It can not function as it did to provide
us with the oxygen it did in the good ole days

And, thanks to big big business and the want for cheap fast food
We are losing more and more of the land that would have cleaned
the air for us - Not to mention medicinal properties of plant life there

just sayin
I usually like your posts, but you are grossly misinformed about oxygen uptake from water and land. The capacity has INCREASED from the old days. That doesn't mean that we should pollute our environment, but we need more honest discussion with regard to what the real problems actually are. This isn't one of those problems.

Just sayin

spicytomato
02-21-2014, 01:11 PM
I usually like your posts, but you are grossly misinformed about oxygen uptake from water and land. The capacity has INCREASED from the old days. That doesn't mean that we should pollute our environment, but we need more honest discussion with regard to what the real problems actually are. This isn't one of those problems.

Just sayin

so you are saying our mass production and constant need for energy to get it from one end of this earth to the other has nothing to do with global warming either ..

and more local living (for a long time)) in coupling with cleaning up the mess we made would make no difference

i respect your opinion however.. one my street alone only I have great soil
why?? I recoup and reuse everything possible for the good of my property
it has been organic for ages.. and only i have the structure to actually invite wildlife to it.. the other properties with all that weeding and raking have lost ground,, while my property soil has built up and become even more productive .. hmm , gotta be some truth to what my opinion stated :)

tucker6
02-21-2014, 02:12 PM
so you are saying our mass production and constant need for energy to get it from one end of this earth to the other has nothing to do with global warming either ..

and more local living (for a long time)) in coupling with cleaning up the mess we made would make no difference

i respect your opinion however.. one my street alone only I have great soil
why?? I recoup and reuse everything possible for the good of my property
it has been organic for ages.. and only i have the structure to actually invite wildlife to it.. the other properties with all that weeding and raking have lost ground,, while my property soil has built up and become even more productive .. hmm , gotta be some truth to what my opinion stated :)
when I think of our mutual problem in preserving this planet, I think of particulate and chemical pollution. To me, those are the real problems. Again to me, AGW is window dressing to get at purse strings on a larger scale. The culprit for Arctic warming (which has major cyclical aspects) lies in the change in albedo due to pollution and the dirty snow created. Let's address what changes albedo because Earth's thermostat IS tied to albedo. It is what helps us slip into and out of ice ages through the feedback mechanisms. The unfortunate thing is that Europe and the US are not really committed to pollution control since they will not have serious discussions with China and India about helping the planet. The problem is that precious energy is wasted with those countries over a non-factor like AGW. Chemicals in our water and food is a much more immediate threat, yet the mantra of global warming prevents the necessary action. Doesn't that bother you?

edit to add that I'm sorry to have taken the thread OT

spicytomato
02-21-2014, 02:43 PM
when I think of our mutual problem in preserving this planet, I think of particulate and chemical pollution. To me, those are the real problems. Again to me, AGW is window dressing to get at purse strings on a larger scale. The culprit for Arctic warming (which has major cyclical aspects) lies in the change in albedo due to pollution and the dirty snow created. Let's address what changes albedo because Earth's thermostat IS tied to albedo. It is what helps us slip into and out of ice ages through the feedback mechanisms. The unfortunate thing is that Europe and the US are not really committed to pollution control since they will not have serious discussions with China and India about helping the planet. The problem is that precious energy is wasted with those countries over a non-factor like AGW. Chemicals in our water and food is a much more immediate threat, yet the mantra of global warming prevents the necessary action. Doesn't that bother you?

edit to add that I'm sorry to have taken the thread OT

you are not really OT as its all connected

its about energy and our use and abuse of it
our (human) need to believe we can build such things with the expectation
of these power plants not having huge impact on the future

Right now , no telling what the ripple effect of this is going to be
only time will tell for sure

However, in speaking of it, the pros and cons
we can learn how to avoid such things
and maybe even learn how to live with our mistakes(clean up
some what )

as this goes one and on-- there is still approval for
2 new plants in the southern east part of our country
where they already have 2 plants existing

could they experience a quake there too
that would cause this type of disaster here

never know

classhandicapper
02-21-2014, 04:33 PM
Like it's not bad enough most of western civilization has become a social and economic cesspool. Now we all have to worry about getting fried also. :rolleyes:

If I lived in CA I'd be worried.

JustRalph
02-21-2014, 04:41 PM
I just wish I could remember who on here was trying to tell me I was wrong in thinking this was way worse then they were letting on when this all first went down.

I think it's still FAR WORSE than what they are admitting to even now. I hope this doesn't end up putting global warming to shame (as well as the incandescent bulb) as far as global environmental concerns go... :rolleyes:

It was me. The juries still out, but think about all the money we are going to save when the ocean starts glowing? No more lights at night........

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/Blinky%2Bthe%2Bthree%2Beyed%2Bfish.jpg

Seriously, it is probably worse than they let on. That is the scary part. I have faith that the planet can persevere. Mankind? Not so much.......

LottaKash
02-21-2014, 06:21 PM
If I lived in CA I'd be worried.

Me, I am at least a little bit worried, as a very big majority of our year-round produce" now originates in Cali....

I don't think most Americans realize just how much of what Cali produces. that we rely on and consume the whole year round these days...

But in the end, maybe it won't be that noticeable....Take Almonds, just a year or two ago they started "nuking" 100% of all the yield of that crop, and it killed all that raved about benefit.....And that is in "radioactive" almonds now....They and the meat industry are nuking just about everything these days, so is it any wonder why the Cancer-rate creeps up ever higher these days....

If the Cali produce crop should ever fail for any reason, Amerikans would be in for a major shock to their eating regimens....:eek: ...It would be noticeable on an order of magnitude, imo...

Tom
02-22-2014, 10:44 AM
It was me. The juries still out, but think about all the money we are going to save when the ocean starts glowing? No more lights at night....

Hey, the upside is we can go out in a boat and catch a fish fry!

PaceAdvantage
02-22-2014, 11:24 AM
It was me. The juries still out, but think about all the money we are going to save when the ocean starts glowing? No more lights at night........If it was you as well, you're not the one I'm thinking of. There was someone else...I guess I could use the search function...lmao

Tom
02-22-2014, 12:05 PM
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81459&page=1&pp=20&highlight=earthquake

PaceAdvantage
02-22-2014, 12:50 PM
Ah, it was elysiantraveller whom I remember butting heads with early on over this.

elysiantraveller
02-22-2014, 06:22 PM
Ah, it was elysiantraveller whom I remember butting heads with early on over this.

Yes it was me and I still think its being blown out of proportion. I am surprised, however, at their inability to stop the leak.

JustRalph
01-05-2015, 06:10 PM
http://ajw.asahi.com/article/0311disaster/fukushima/AJ201501030034

Looks like two years for things to start getting back to normal in some ways

woodtoo
01-05-2015, 06:14 PM
This is surprisingly good news.

Tom
01-06-2015, 07:30 AM
Any Godzilla sightings yet?

newtothegame
02-18-2017, 12:14 AM
Seems the radiation levels in one of the reactors is so high that it has "killed" two robots in as many weeks.....
This is certainly not looking good.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/17/14652274/fukushima-nuclear-robot-power-plant-radiation-decomission-tepco

Tom
02-18-2017, 11:19 AM
Someone here posted over and over that this was no big deal at the time.
Guess that makes two things he was dead wrong about. :rolleyes:

_______
02-18-2017, 11:50 AM
Maybe they are trying to bury the radioactive material with robot corpses.

Robert Fischer
02-18-2017, 12:15 PM
http://ajw.asahi.com/article/0311disaster/fukushima/AJ201501030034

Looks like two years for things to start getting back to normal in some ways
We already get A LOT of our cheap coffee supplied from Vietnam. ( agent orange)
Now, really cheap rice can be produced in Fukushima . (Nuclear event)

Can't say we aren't resourceful.

elysiantraveller
02-18-2017, 01:26 PM
Someone here posted over and over that this was no big deal at the time.
Guess that makes two things he was dead wrong about. :rolleyes:

Not really... That is all contained.

I take pride in your digging deep to find things I'm wrong about though.

In over two years... all you've got is a robot frying inside the reactor... good stuff Tom.

:cool:

VigorsTheGrey
02-18-2017, 10:24 PM
It has been many years since the accident.... Where is the definitive reports about what occurred, how much of the cores went through the roof on the initial explosion, did the remaining core melt through, is it now below the water table, are the cores exposed directly to the environment....?

Russia installed a new mega-dome over Chernobyl, should the Fukushima reactors have something similar installed....we are still it the dark about what is happening and radiation levels....I fear the entire area and west coast of America is basically screwed...and because ocean currents travel so far, the radioactivity is likely if not definitely going to poison marine life globally, when the life in the ocean becomes maladaptive, say goodbye to life on earth....

...we basically screwed ourselves, a corrupt short-sighted profit minded nuclear industry and a public kept in the dark as to the real cost and hazards of nuclear power and nuclear power waste by-products...what a travesty...beyond sad, beyond devastating, simply annihilation by a slow horrible malignancy....

...it's like they are saying "oh, well, we are all f---ed anyway, so let's just keep going nuclear, who cares, we are all dead anyway....tragic, beyond pathetic, beyond words...

...men are fools...

tucker6
02-19-2017, 08:12 AM
It has been many years since the accident.... Where is the definitive reports about what occurred, how much of the cores went through the roof on the initial explosion, did the remaining core melt through, is it now below the water table, are the cores exposed directly to the environment....?

Russia installed a new mega-dome over Chernobyl, should the Fukushima reactors have something similar installed....we are still it the dark about what is happening and radiation levels....I fear the entire area and west coast of America is basically screwed...and because ocean currents travel so far, the radioactivity is likely if not definitely going to poison marine life globally, when the life in the ocean becomes maladaptive, say goodbye to life on earth....

...we basically screwed ourselves, a corrupt short-sighted profit minded nuclear industry and a public kept in the dark as to the real cost and hazards of nuclear power and nuclear power waste by-products...what a travesty...beyond sad, beyond devastating, simply annihilation by a slow horrible malignancy....

...it's like they are saying "oh, well, we are all f---ed anyway, so let's just keep going nuclear, who cares, we are all dead anyway....tragic, beyond pathetic, beyond words...

...men are fools...
hyperbole much?

davew
10-10-2020, 03:36 AM
Pacific Ocean about ready to get contaminated water ?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/japan-fishermen-oppose-catastrophic-release-111310587.html