PDA

View Full Version : Online wagering laws

raybo
03-01-2004, 07:06 PM
I live in Texas and wager on Texas tracks primarily, along with other tracks of the same class. There was a law passed here several years ago that made it illegal to wager online on Texas tracks as a Texas resident. I recently was able to place a bet online on a race at Sam Houston and was surprized that the bet was accepted. In the past, at least using "Youbet.com", the bet would have been refused. Does anyone out there have any information on the subject? Has the law been changed or has "Brisbet/Americatab" figured a way to circumvent this law or do they just take the bet and let Texas take care of enforcing the law? I really prefer to wager online in the peace and quiet of my own home rather than in the madhouse at the track. Makes for much better concentration and smarter wagers.

schweitz
03-01-2004, 07:13 PM
Raybo,
Iv'e been wagering on Texas tracks for several years now through Winticket and then Brisbet. Texas law has not changed. When I asked Winticket/Brisbet about it they said they were not concerned with the Texas law ( I took that to mean that either they don't think the state will try to stop them or the law can't be applied to them for some reason). They did however stop taking wagers on Lone Star when Magna took over.

raybo
03-01-2004, 07:27 PM
Thanks schweitz, I sorta figured that. I assume you haven't had any problem with the Texas authorities concerning your wagers and that you have also not had a problem receiving any profits from those wagers? Too bad about Lone Star not accepting online wagers, it's my home track but I really hate to drive out there and have to deal with all the distractions in person.

schweitz
03-01-2004, 07:46 PM
No problems with any thing. Brisbet's EZ-Money is the fastest way to transfer funds going either way. When Lone Star first stopped accepting wagers from Brisbet I was at first ticked off--fired off a lot of e-mails to no avail or response from Lone Star. I think it was required of in the approval process of Magna not to accept in state wagers because they are also in the internet wagering business. I do attend the races at Lone Star every now and then---but mostly for entertainment purposes only.

raybo
03-01-2004, 07:54 PM
So, I guess Lone Star doesn't accept online wagering for Brisbet, not just from Texas residents, huh? I wasn't aware that you couldn't wager at Lone Star via Brisbet. Oh well, being able to wager on Houston is a big plus anyway. There are other tracks to take Lone Star's place I guess. Yeah, I go out to LS occasionally too, but I don't get too serious about the wagering, just as a diversion. It's nice to get out of the house and also, as long as you don't hit any 300/1 longshots it's tax free, too. ;)

schweitz
03-01-2004, 08:10 PM
If you are in a state other than Texas and Brisbet accepts your wagers you could bet on Lone Star last season---now I don't know since Magna cut off Brisbet for Santa Anita and Gulfstream. I suspect that you will not be able to wager on Lone Star in the future through Brisbet regardless of where you live.

BillW
03-01-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by raybo
So, I guess Lone Star doesn't accept online wagering for Brisbet, not just from Texas residents, huh? I wasn't aware that you couldn't wager at Lone Star via Brisbet. Oh well, being able to wager on Houston is a big plus anyway. There are other tracks to take Lone Star's place I guess. Yeah, I go out to LS occasionally too, but I don't get too serious about the wagering, just as a diversion. It's nice to get out of the house and also, as long as you don't hit any 300/1 longshots it's tax free, too. ;)

raybo,

Welcome to the site.

LS has been unavailable on Brisbet in TX (only, I believe) since Frank took over. I think the restriction that the state placed on the transaction was that Frank couldn't offer internet betting on his own track, via xpressbet. I believe he shut Brisbet down on his own. RET and HOU have been continuously available since I've had an account with them.

As of the first of the year Frank has shut out all of his tracks from Brisbet so LS shouldn't be available on Brisbet in any state now.

Bill

schweitz
03-01-2004, 08:12 PM
It should be interesting however to see what happenes when this years Breeder's Cup rolls around.

BillW
03-01-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by schweitz
It should be interesting however to see what happenes when this years Breeder's Cup rolls around.

I'm not sure Frank has any control over that, as BC leases the facilities and runs the wagering themselves.

Bill

raybo
03-01-2004, 08:17 PM
Bill and schweitz,

Thanks for the info. I feel better knowing there are others wagering on Texas tracks from Texas. Probably shouldn't advertize it though, you reckon? Wouldn't want to give the State a reason to get involved any more than they already are.

schweitz
03-01-2004, 08:25 PM
Bill,
Thats good news---I plan on being there but don't want to have to place my wagers there. Don't want to put up with the hassle of standing in line---Lone Star is a zoo when 20,000 show up---can't imagine what the expected 45,000 or so is going to be like.

schweitz
03-01-2004, 08:28 PM
Raybo,
I'm operating on the theory that if Brisbet isn't worried I'm not going to worry--They have more at stake than I do. Hope that doesn't turn into "Famous Last Words". lol

raybo
03-01-2004, 08:39 PM
I hear ya schweitz. My partner, in this venture, and I have been waiting for the ability to wager online at Houston since the law went into effect. I just gave it a shot the other day and it worked but I figured it was too good to be true. I'm like you, I won't be anywhere near the betting windows at the Breeder's if I go at all. It will be a circus out there. I hope it has a positive effect on Texas racing though.

BillW
03-01-2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by schweitz
Bill,
Thats good news---I plan on being there but don't want to have to place my wagers there. Don't want to put up with the hassle of standing in line---Lone Star is a zoo when 20,000 show up---can't imagine what the expected 45,000 or so is going to be like.

Good thing it's not being held during the regular LS meet. That would be one hell of a lot of sweat glands jammed into a space that size. :eek:

raybo
03-01-2004, 08:41 PM
LOL, you got that right. You couldn't get within a mile of the place.

BillW
03-01-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by raybo
I hear ya schweitz. My partner, in this venture, and I have been waiting for the ability to wager online at Houston since the law went into effect. I just gave it a shot the other day and it worked but I figured it was too good to be true. I'm like you, I won't be anywhere near the betting windows at the Breeder's if I go at all. It will be a circus out there. I hope it has a positive effect on Texas racing though.

raybo,

I've had a Brisbet account for over 2 years now and HOU has been open the whole time (including the summer QH meet). I don't think there is any problem. AmericaTAB has been around awhile and (I hope) would know what they are doing.

Bill

schweitz
03-01-2004, 09:04 PM
Raybo,
If you don't know;Americatab (Winticket and Brisbet) is owned by Beulah Park and River Downs in Ohio. Before it was Americatab it was only in Ohio and called Ohiotab. When I decided to start wagering online several years ago my only choice (living in Texas) was offshore---something I'm not comfortable with. I found Winticket when they first started up and switched to Brisbet when they started(free pp's). I've been very happy with their service since day one.

raybo
03-01-2004, 09:13 PM
I wasn't aware of all that concerning AmericaTAB but I'm pretty satisfied with the service so far. I originally used "YouBet.com" to wager online back in 1997 or so. It was excellent and was probably a better system than Brisbet is today but they developed the "AOL" mentality of thinking they were number one and could do what they liked regardless. They started charging a membership fee to access the live feeds from the different tracks which wasn't too bad at first but it's too steep for me now for what they offer. I've used Bris data since that time anyway so when I decided to leave Youbet Brisbet was a natural choice.