PDA

View Full Version : Obama personally excempts these people from Obamacare

so.cal.fan
08-07-2013, 04:10 PM
http://dailycaller.com/2013/08/07/members-staff-will-keep-healthcare-subsidies-under-obamacare/

This is very unfair.

JustRalph
08-07-2013, 04:25 PM
Let them eat cake.............

Clocker
08-07-2013, 04:52 PM
Let them eat cake.............

So cake is the special of the day at the public trough?

LottaKash
08-07-2013, 05:30 PM
That is so FAIR....:jump:

Barry is Awesome...! :ThmbUp:

mostpost
08-07-2013, 08:11 PM
http://dailycaller.com/2013/08/07/members-staff-will-keep-healthcare-subsidies-under-obamacare/

This is very unfair.
This has been covered elsewhere. Your headline is totally wrong and daily caller
story is misleading. No one was exempted from Obamacare. The members of Congress and their staffs should have been able to retain their coverage under the FEHB just as people who have private insurance are able to keep that coverage.

There was nothing in the ACA-what you call Obamacare-originally that said members of Congress and their staffs must purchase their insurance from the exchanges. But Charles Grassley proposed an amendment that required just that.

Grassley did this because he thought Democrats would reject them and then Republicans could portray them as elitists who passed laws for others but would not follow those laws themselves. The Democrats called his bluff.

The result of this is that Congressional staffers would now have to pay up to four times more for health insurance. Most of these people are secretaries and administrative assistants who earn middle class salaries. What the OPM decision-it was not an executive order-does is subsidize those payments. The amount of those subsidies is the same as the percentage the government was paying on the plans when those employees were covered under FEHB.

Grassley used these hardworking Americans as political pawns.

cj's dad
08-07-2013, 08:59 PM
I am more convinced tha ever that you are a government plant. No one with a logical mind could be so available to all the "facts" that you seem to have at hand. How much does the gobmn't pay you monthly ??

Tom
08-07-2013, 09:03 PM
Such a great plan, whu is everyone bailing on it? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Come on mostie, Obama care is a disaster. Like every other Obama program. You can judge Obama's legacy by the number of cronies being exempted from his policies.

so.cal.fan
08-07-2013, 09:20 PM
In Mostie's eyes, Obama can do no wrong, Nothing is his fault.
He is THE ONE, in Oprah's words.
He's the one all right. :rolleyes: :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:
All the so called (by Obama) phony scandals have nothing to do with Obama.

mostpost
08-07-2013, 09:27 PM
I am more convinced tha ever that you are a government plant. No one with a logical mind could be so available to all the "facts" that you seem to have at hand. How much does the gobmn't pay you monthly ??
It's not that difficult. For this one, I just googled "OPM exempts Congress. That led me to this.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/04/25/no-congress-isnt-trying-to-exempt-itself-from-obamacare/

It's an Ezra Klein story in the Washington Post that explains the whole thing. You may say it's the Washington Post, of course they are going to defend Obama. You can find the same information at Forbes and Fact Check.org.

If I wanted to take the time, I could show you when Grassley presented the amendment and what the vote was on it.

I know the particulars of the FEHB plan which Congress was previously under because it is the same plan I was covered by for 27 years.

JustRalph
08-07-2013, 10:59 PM
They are making an exception. That's all that matters. They are being treated differently than what was planned. That's called favoritism

JustRalph
08-07-2013, 11:21 PM
" In a ruling issued on Wednesday, U.S. lawmakers and their staffs will continue to receive a federal contribution toward the health insurance that they must purchase through soon-to-open exchanges created by President Barack Obama's signature healthcare law.

The decision by the Office of Personnel Management, with Obama's blessing, will prevent the largely unintended loss of healthcare benefits for 535 members of the Senate and House of Representatives and thousands of Capitol Hill staff.

When Congress passed the health reform law known as Obamacare in 2010, an amendment required that lawmakers and their staff members purchase health insurance through the online exchanges that the law created. They would lose generous coverage under the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program.

The amendment's author, Republican Senator Charles Grassley, argued that if Obamacare plans were good enough for the American public, they were good enough for Congress. Democrats, eager to pass the reforms, went along with it.

But it soon became apparent the provision contained no language that allowed federal contributions toward their health plans that cover about 75 percent of the premium costs.

This caused fears that staff would suddenly face sharply higher healthcare costs and leave federal service, causing a "brain drain" on Capitol Hill.

But Wednesday's proposed rule from the OPM, the federal government's human resources agency, means that Congress will escape the most onerous impact of law as it was written.

The OPM said the federal contributions will be allowed to continue for exchange-purchased plans for lawmakers and their staffs, ensuring that those working on Capitol Hill will effectively get the same health contributions as millions of other federal workers who keep their current plan."

They are being treated differently than John Q Public just because they work for the government. That's bullshit and the perfect definition of soft tyranny!

Tom
08-08-2013, 11:37 PM
They are making an exception. That's all that matters. They are being treated differently than what was planned. That's called favoritism

Funny how it is EXACTLY like Crony Capitalism, but they are too blind to see it.
Bottom line, if it was that good, they would flocking to get in ON it, not OUT OF it.