PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga Picks: Wednesday, August 7

Teach
08-07-2013, 11:23 AM
Race One:

:5: All Cash. He’s very well-bred out of the D. Wayne Lukas barn (hard to believe Lukas is 0-for 18 thus far in the Saratoga meet). Luis Saez has the call. This horse is as capable as any of winning at first asking.

Also::8: Belly of the Whale; :7: War Hawk; :6: Little Boss

Race Two:

:4: Marriedtothemusic destroyed a weaker field on the third day of the meet. If the Citidancer-bred colt can repeat that effort. it’ll be “Katy-bar-the-door” for the others. The Cornelio Velasquez-ridden, Dom Galluscio-trained 3-year-old should have the controlling speed. He’ll likely play: Come-catch-me-if-you-can. I see no reason why this horse shouldn’t make it four wins in five tries.

Also: :1: Bond Vigilante; :3: Longfor the City

Race Three:

:4: Rufus Ruth. This filly turns back and switches from the lawn to the dirt. Should have no trouble handling the distance. Irad Ortiz, Jr. pilots for trainer Tom Bush. Bush, by the way, is very good with both turf-to-dirt and up-one-class.

Also: :7: Ampa’s Girl; :9: Sarah’s Wild Girl; :3: Gingee

Race Four:

:4: Favorite Uncle should enjoy the extra panel stretch-out. “Bullet” work at “Oklahoma” (Hi to the DRF’s Mike Welsch from our days at Suffolk Downs). The A.P. Indy-bred gelding has faced better. Should be closing. Alan Garcia for trainer Mike Maker.

Also: :8: Vee’s Accolade; ; :1: Mighty Ian; :6: Bemata

Race Five:

:5: Captain Gaughen was closing in his last, a state-bred allowance. Prior to that, the horse was second in NY state-bred stakes company. Should close here. Jose Lezcano for Jim Ryerson.

Also: :1: Old Pal of Mine; :2: West Hills Giant , :3: Orino

Race Six:

:1: So Royal should be out and gunning for the lead when the gate opens. It’s then a case of Alex Solis rationing out this Montbrook-bred filly’s speed. Should enjoy the half-panel turn-back.

Also: :2: Blue Ballerina;:7: My Cousin Zinny; :6: Malibu Mudslide

Race Seven:

:1: Roses For Romney was third in a state-bred stakes last time out at Belmont on Independence Day. Prior to that the Danzig-bred filly won a state-bred allowance race. The distaffer has maintained her solid form: five-for-five, lifetime, on the turf. Javier Castellano for the meet’s leading trainer, Todd Pletcher.

Also: :9: Temper in Command; :3: Sally’s Dream; :7: Ornellia

Race Eight:

:6: Taproot is my pick in this difficult-to-handicap race. Trainer Jason Servis is having a solid meet; he’s saddled two winners and three seconds in 11 tries. This lightly-raced 6-year-old gelding was second in his last against similar company.

Also: :5: Terminus, :4: Assured Victory; :7: Political Justice

Race Nine:

:4: Quality Council is my off-the-wall long shot try. Although only one race on the lawn, this horse does have turf pedigree. The Gone West-bred ships in from Oklahoma City where he won an allowance race last fall. Trainer Nick Canani does well with horses that have been off for three months or more. Irad Ortiz, Jr. in the irons.

Also::2: Perregaux, :8: Notmyfirstime, :7: Console,

Race Ten:

In his only race,:2: Moravitz drew an outside post and got caught three-wide on the first turn of Belmont’s Inner Turf course; he never recovered. A better trip at “The Spa” would put this well-bred colt in the thick of things. The Giant’s Causeway-bred colt took his share of the tote action in his aforementioned only start. David Cohen for David Jacobson

Also: :3: Code Z, :8: Won’tualwayswonder, :4: Brandy’s Big Guy

tzipi
08-07-2013, 11:34 AM
No MONONOKE in the 3rd race? Horse seems quicker and better than the rest.

Teach
08-07-2013, 11:52 AM
Tzipi,

I saw the race and then I recently watched the replay. Yes, the horse was caught between rivals as they turned into the stretch. But the speed duel was not that blistering that if he had something left, he could have gone on with the other two -- he didn't. Now, Mononoke is coming back very quickly from that third-place finish. I'm not saying he can't earn a minor award; it's just that circumstances are such that I don't like him.

Teach

The Spaniard
08-07-2013, 12:54 PM
R1: Quick workouts, bred for turf top and bottom, efficient debut and 2 year old trainer: :3: MORE THAN CLASSIC.

2nd ($6.90 - 5.80)

lamboguy
08-07-2013, 12:55 PM
race 1 #4 CAT FIVE

The Spaniard
08-07-2013, 01:27 PM
R2: (4)MARRIEDTOTHEMUSIC risks a bounce in this quick return (14 days) after rising his Beyer from 80 to 99. :1: BOND VIGILANTE was impressive winning going away at a mile after going up in front with a nasty pace (22.3 > 45.3). He'll profit any weakness of the favorite with stamina to spare.

1st ($7.80)

PhantomOnTour
08-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Race 3 is a total puzzler - staying away unless I get about 7-1 on the :9: Sarah's Wild Girl or the same price on the :6: Scienziato

:3: - may be a Disanto sneaker but the price is ridiculously low at 7-1

EDIT: tossing the :6: from the top of the exacta
small exacta:
9 w 1-3-4-6-7
1-7 w 9

nice pick in the 2nd Spaniard :ThmbUp:

The Spaniard
08-07-2013, 02:01 PM
R4: :6: SCIENZIATO's got a 100% dirt pedigree. Could be a new filly after 9 months off.

2nd ($9.20- 6.20)

The Spaniard
08-07-2013, 02:31 PM
R4: :7: DRUM ROLL first time blinkers and showing that 48.00 (second best of 102) workout, might wire this field if in the working mood.

1st ($15.20)

The Spaniard
08-07-2013, 03:02 PM
R5: :2: WEST HILL GIANTS with good turn of foot and a 81 best Beyer on the green (7f) and :1: OLD PAL OF MINE (80 best Beyer) and good closer on turf.

exacta box

2nd and 4th

JustRalph
08-07-2013, 03:05 PM
R6

:6: kind of like this one to improve......... 2nd out........

NOT!

Quagmire
08-07-2013, 03:07 PM
R5 PK 3 :2: / :1: :7: :8: / :1: :2: :5:

The Spaniard
08-07-2013, 03:41 PM
R6: :4: IVY CHAIN has had several excuses, one day she's going to have a clean trip and as daughter of Speightstown she should like turf. She runs for a 20% turf sprints trainer.

NP

JustRalph
08-07-2013, 03:46 PM
R6: :4: IVY CHAIN has had several excuses, one day she's going to have a clean trip and as daughter of Speightstown she should like turf. She runs for a 20% turf sprints trainer.

I bet em........and the :6: a little of both w/ exacta

JustRalph
08-07-2013, 03:50 PM
getting my ass handed to me.................

The Spaniard
08-07-2013, 04:12 PM
R7: The logic says that :9: TEMPER IN COMMAND is ready to run her best race. :1: ROSES FOR ROMNEY is a tough frontrunner that can survive a fast pace (23.1 > 47.1) like her 2 back race, she'll fight it. :7: ORNELLIA shows a perfect 6 for 6 in the money on turf.

exactas
:9: - :1:
:9: - :7:

straight trifecta: :9: - :1: - :7:

NP

lamboguy
08-07-2013, 04:45 PM
race 9 #6 PALACE

i have been ice cold in this meet so far. i really love this horse so she probably won't win.