PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga Seats

DeoVolente
03-01-2004, 12:56 PM
I'm sure all you Saratoga guys know that the seating policy and procedure has changed at NYRA. I just received a letter the other day mentioning that I am in category 2. Of course there are only two categories. I'm thinking that this year my chances for Travers seats are not as good as prior years.

In years past, I was able to get priority seating with my NYRA One card but this year I'm in the lottery.

You think getting seats now is like hitting the lottery?

Anyone else concerned?

TravisVOX
03-01-2004, 10:41 PM
You are preaching to the choir.

What is worse, you look left and right as you sit and enjoy the races only to see a plethora of empty seats.

NYRA is missing the boat here, big time.

PaceAdvantage
03-02-2004, 01:33 AM
Empty seats? Not on Travers Day....and usually not many any other day of the week at the Spa....

DeoVolente
03-02-2004, 07:54 AM
Perhaps there are no empty seat for Travers day but I did see too many empty seats on all other days including the weekends. This was due mainly because the seats were sold but the patrons did not show up that day. Last year you were able to buy seats for each weekend which would improve your chances to get Travers seats. This is why there were so many empty seats on the weekends.

I find it a little unfair that people who don't support NYRA and racing in general manage to get tickets while others who love the sport year round get shut out.

I guess you can say that about all major sporting events. The real fans don't get the tickets!

TravisVOX
03-02-2004, 09:44 AM
We go to Saratoga about 25 times a year, and there are tons of empty seats...Travers? No. Whitney? No. But sadly, most other days there are handfuls of empty pockets. It's irritating.

DeoVolente
03-02-2004, 12:10 PM
Last years seats for the Travers were being sold on Ebay for over $100. Two years ago I had to go crazy to get seats and it turned out to be a horrible day weather wise. Last year I was in the next to last section. Couldn't see the finish line too well but got a good view of my horse acting up walking to the gate. I can't remember this animal's name but I do recall he was on the outside and broke poorly. Can't say I liked the winner that day Ten Most Wanted who got the trip!

alysheba88
03-03-2004, 04:07 PM
To me most of the seats that are available are utterly useless anyway (unless its raining).

The ones that are available are way down the left corner. Cant see anything from down there. Conversely you can pick a spot on a bench much closer or of course grab a place out back. I always sit on the benches facing the track.

cryptic1
03-03-2004, 08:17 PM
Generally speaking, I've had little difficulty buying clubhouse
tickets at face value except for Travers day. There seems to
be a plentiful supply outside the grandstand ticket booth the
week of the Travers except the big day. The seating available
in the ticket lottery for Travers day seems to be only the last
4 or 5 sections. You get a seat but no view. The tent suff
arranged last T. day alleviated the usual seating difficulties
encountered by many on the big day.

cryptic1

Suff
03-03-2004, 08:49 PM
A local told me that about 10 years ago NYRA sent many long time (2nd generation) box seat season ticket holders notice that they would not be eligble to renew thier box's. When you walk the corridor in front of the Private box's... You now see names like George Steinbrenner, Goodyear tire, Whitney, Thorougbred corp...etc etc... all the big shots..

They gave the locals season ticket deals in sections 7 , 8 and 9. Most of these sections are 100% local resident season ticket holders. They work during the week and many seats are empty mid week.
One way the locals take care of the ushers is to give them thier tickets when not going to the track. Ushers unload them for coffee money.. or more often than not... The ushers know who comes on what day and who does'nt. So they can put you somewhere where they know you'll be ok..

If you absolutely want or need a seat...say hello to the ushers at the top of sections 7 , 8 and 9.. They'll have something for you at 10 15 dollar range... maybe 20 for a Big Saturday. Section 8 is right at the 1/6th pole...so the seats are nice.