Delauny or Gentlemen?
Justin from behind?

I'll take Gentlemen.

VeryOldMan
08-04-2013, 05:17 PM
Delauny or Gentlemen?
Justin from behind?

I'll take Gentlemen.

The tight dispersion of the odds right now is crazy. Let's talk another day about the fact that a Grade 1 stakes drew only five horses.

Stillriledup
08-04-2013, 05:21 PM
JUSTIN! Amazing price at 3-1.

Ocala Mike
08-04-2013, 09:12 PM
Horse defaulted into a perfect trip. Probably the 3rd or 4th best sprinter in that race, but when they all hook up in front of you, you look like a champ.

$8 and change was a nice price for him.

raybo
08-05-2013, 02:28 AM
First test of new ratings:

Race 9
Early Pace Picture 2 4 1 3
PFC Picture 3 4 2 1

Results:
2nd call: 3,2,4,1
Final call: 4,1,2,3

lamboguy
08-05-2013, 05:04 AM
about 35 years ago, i went to Aqueduct to watch the very first horse that i have ever had that ran in a stake race in the New York Stallion 'Series. i went to the Director's Room there. the maitre d greeted me at the door and said i couldn't get in because i was not wearing a tie and a jacket. i was arguing with the guy and 2 minutes later this guy comes over to me with a dark green sportcoat and a tie, that man was ALFRED GWEN VANDERBILT. a man that was bigger than life. he made my day, he was sitting at a table next to mine with another legend in New York racing JIMMY EDWARDS. they were both funny as hell. i am sure that ALFRED was looking down today at the race named after him and he loved every minute of it.

burnsy
08-05-2013, 06:08 AM
I thought Bahamian Squall and Justin Phillip were coming out of the strongest sprint field this summer. Justin Phillip was returning north where he had just competed for 400k (at Belmont, 2nd) and barely lost this race last year. Thought Justin would be strong here and knew he would not be the fave.

Ocala Mike
08-05-2013, 01:26 PM
i am sure that ALFRED was looking down today at the race named after him and he loved every minute of it.

The misspelling in the title of the thread is ironic. Say what you will about the "1%'ers," their absence on the horse racing scene today is a major factor in the sport's decline. Mr. Vanderbilt did, in fact, "build" NY racing back in the day, but who's around now to take his place?

lamboguy
08-05-2013, 01:38 PM
The misspelling in the title of the thread is ironic. Say what you will about the "1%'ers," their absence on the horse racing scene today is a major factor in the sport's decline. Mr. Vanderbilt did, in fact, "build" NY racing back in the day, but who's around now to take his place?what i didn't tell you was that MR. VANDERBILT told me he had about 6 jackets in different sizes to fit other's that were as dumb as myself. i swear to god, he was a very friendly guy

Valuist
08-05-2013, 01:55 PM
I don't know if its the surface at Calder, or running in the intense heat and humidity but a lot of horses seem to run well coming out of Calder races.

burnsy
08-05-2013, 02:07 PM
The misspelling in the title of the thread is ironic. Say what you will about the "1%'ers," their absence on the horse racing scene today is a major factor in the sport's decline. Mr. Vanderbilt did, in fact, "build" NY racing back in the day, but who's around now to take his place?

Those 1% ers were a whole different breed....they didn't get into racing to make money off the breeding or for the "winning percentage"....most of them knew it was a losing proposition with most horses AND DIDN"T CARE. The money was "hobby money" and they just wanted to aquire the fastest horses for the sport of it and "bragging" rights.(Sport of Kings) Horse racing was a "toy" business to them. Things are way different today. Those people could lose a fortune and make it over again.......many of todays 1%ers are greedy, looking for handouts and bailouts when they fail. Gee, i wonder why people are pissed off???.....average Joe lost his house.....1 %er got a bonus and a bailout, like nothing went wrong. Its a whole different breed today in many cases. When the old money goes down, this game changed....and not for the better.

lamboguy
08-05-2013, 02:38 PM
I don't know if its the surface at Calder, or running in the intense heat and humidity but a lot of horses seem to run well coming out of Calder races.the surface there is unreal. horses that train there have to be fit. the same thing goes for Thistledowns.

Ocala Mike
08-05-2013, 03:54 PM
When the old money goes down, this game changed....and not for the better.

Not for the better, and not for the bettor either. Your whole post is spot on, especially the quote.

Hoofless_Wonder
08-05-2013, 03:55 PM
Those 1% ers were a whole different breed....they didn't get into racing to make money off the breeding or for the "winning percentage"....most of them knew it was a losing proposition with most horses AND DIDN"T CARE. The money was "hobby money" and they just wanted to aquire the fastest horses for the sport of it and "bragging" rights.(Sport of Kings) Horse racing was a "toy" business to them. Things are way different today. Those people could lose a fortune and make it over again.......many of todays 1%ers are greedy, looking for handouts and bailouts when they fail. Gee, i wonder why people are pissed off???.....average Joe lost his house.....1 %er got a bonus and a bailout, like nothing went wrong. Its a whole different breed today in many cases. When the old money goes down, this game changed....and not for the better.

I've never been an owner, but for some reason I seem to recall a change in the tax codes about 20 years ago that affected owners and the sport big time. Something like having to show a profit three out of every seven years or something like that to qualify for the tax deductions and losses. I believe the rise of the multi-owner syndicates has offset this a bit, but there's not as many large stables and overall fewer horses than back in the early 1990s....