PDA

View Full Version : NEW ORLEANS HANDICAP:INQUIRY??

blind squirrel
02-29-2004, 06:09 PM
i thought PEACE RULES should have been DQ'D.
didn't bet the race so i think i can be objective.

do you think it might have anything to do with
the BAILEY/FRANKEL connection?

hey,did you ever see MICHAEL JORDAN foul out
of an NBA game?

Figman
02-29-2004, 06:52 PM
One of the Fair Grounds three stewards is William Hartack who has 5 Kentucky Derbies wins as a jockey. I think he knows what he is looking at, having been there many times himself.

turffan
02-29-2004, 07:12 PM
Had Bailey been on St. Liam and objected. Peace Rules would have come down. Hartack was known to do a lot of 'race riding' so perhaps casuing a chain reaction on the first turn was mild by his standards.

JimG
02-29-2004, 07:16 PM
Here's one for the database guys. When's the last time Bailey was taken down on an inquiry or objection? When is the last time he served a riding suspension?

Jim

WINMANWIN
02-29-2004, 07:34 PM
On another note, Frankel said Peace rules was RDY for this race and his barn did have a virus going around some weeks ago, Peace Rules missed some training.:rolleyes: Obviously, Peace Rules never wanted any part of that FLA race, As he never went to the lead, you have to laugh, how these trainers
know when It's GO DAY:rolleyes: On another note Ten Most Wanted got a bad trip and will be heard from again before this yr's out. Trainer said he may be the BEST yet. What surprised me was Trainer Dutrow's comments
I read that Saint Liam is the best horse Dutrow ever trained, I
pondered his comment, and was looking at the pp's how he shipped him early to the Fairgrounds, and looked at the bullet work,
I wanted a better price, but I had to use him, He did run a hell of a race. ;)

garyoz
02-29-2004, 08:36 PM
No question that Peace Rules should have come down, IMO. I had Saint Laim, so I am biased. But, also Corey Black on TVG was all over the race before the inquiry sign went up. There appears to be two fouls, on the clubhouse turn when PR was not clear when he cut over and down the stretch when Bailey switched stick hands. SL did appear to come back in contact with PR in the stretch after PR initiated contact. The head on was never shown so can't tell.

If the clubhouse turn cutoff by PR was not a foul, then SL should have come down, because he took out a couple of horses including Ten Most Wanted. Yet those gutless Stewards did nothing.

The Stewards in NO want Frankel and Bailey back for future races. They don't care about an upstart like Dutrow who has few stakes horses. If the situation had been reversed I think that they would have taken Dutrow down. Politics...another way to lose money at the track.

ranchwest
02-29-2004, 11:17 PM
In the clubhouse turn, Sir Cherokee hit Ten Most Wanted several times before Saint Liam cut off Sir Cherokee, causing him to run Ten Most Wanted far wide. Bailey had already checked to make sure Peace Rules was clear before moving over and he was clear. Saint Liam did not check at all.

Ten Most Wanted finished ahead of Sir Cherokee, so he couldn't claim foul on him. I think Sir Cherokee could have claimed foul on Saint Liam.

I didn't see the head-on of the stretch run, so I cannot comment on it. I had Peace Rules across and on top, but didn't have Saint Liam.

Pace Cap'n
02-29-2004, 11:42 PM
St. Liam made contact with Sir Cherokee causing the chain reaction that sent TMW toward the parking lot.

It appeared that to me that the move by PR caused SL to take a check step or two. Bailey did look back, but after he had started his move to the rail.

It seemed the only two horses to have a clean trip were PR and Funny Cide. And FC had his own problems with his brakeman.

Bailey did get days last summer at Saratoga. At least I think it was last year, could have been '02.

garyoz
03-01-2004, 09:19 AM
Thorooughbred Times Article:

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/todaysnews/newsview.asp?recno=42703&subsec=2

Quoting:

While racing for the lead three wide under jockey Jerry Bailey past the grandstand for the first time, Peace Rules appeared to drift in front of Saint Liam in his attempt to settle in along the rail, causing Saint Liam to check up briefly to avoid clipping heels and brush into Sir Cherokee to his outside.

The resulting contact knocked Sir Cherokee sharply off stride and launched him hard into Ten Most Wanted and jockey Pat Day, forcing Ten Most Wanted to veer to the extreme outside in an incident eerily similar to the Breeders’ Cup Classic (G1) on October 25....

There is also a description of the stretch drive contact.

Figman
03-01-2004, 10:13 AM
Pace Cap'n,
Can't agree on FUNNY CIDE getting a clean trip. He was bumped hard in the first turn and knocked forward and toward the fence. I watched the replay seven or eight times. FUNNY CIDE didn't lose ground but whenever a horse gets bumped, it plays with the horse's psyche. FUNNY CIDE raced real well to get over the bumping and then to lose third in mid-stretch only to fight back and regain the show. Very similar to his effort at the Fair Grounds in 2003 before hitting a winning cycle by winning the Derby and the Preakness.

BIG RED
03-01-2004, 10:48 AM
I ended up missing the race because I ran late doing something else. There was three messages on my phone about it when I got in. Is there someplace on the Net I can watch a replay?(Both my picks were out)

BIG RED

garyoz
03-01-2004, 10:54 AM
Fairgrounds isn't on racereplays.com. So I don't think that it is available on the Internet. On TV TVG has the Fairgrounds replay show scheduled for 11:30 this AM (Monday)

garyoz
03-01-2004, 10:56 AM
Update to my last post. Apparently the replay show is streamed on the Internet. Never tried it but link is:

http://www.fgno.com/racing/replay.html

BIG RED
03-01-2004, 11:02 AM
Thanks garyoz, that's it. Great video quality also.

ranchwest
03-01-2004, 12:49 PM
GaryOz,

I just watched the FG Replay Show on TVG and it still appeared to me that Peace Rules was very much clear on the clubhouse turn. It was after Peace Rules' move in that Saint Liam moved out and hit Sir Cherokee, knocking him into Ten Most Wanted. Sir Cherokee had already hit TMW several times prior. I still believe that an objection by Sir Cherokee could have led to the DQ of Saint Liam.

The side angle didn't show anything severe up the stretch, but there was no head-on to get a better look.

garyoz
03-01-2004, 01:03 PM
Opinions make markets. I still hold to my view. I don't think that Peace Rules was a length and 1/2 clear when he moved to the rail as required. I do agree that someone should have come down for what happened on the clubhouse turn. I watched the replay on TVG again this morning. PR also definitely made contact after Bailey switched stick hands in the stretch. It really doesn't matter because the result stands. TVG said they had hundreds of emails about the race. I'm sure that they will pick it up again on Wednesday at noon. I think the stewards, like any public official, should explain their logic and also make the head-on avalable. At any rate, today's another day and it's all part of the game.

Niko
03-01-2004, 06:38 PM
I would love to hear an explanation. I'm interested because I had Liam. At first I thought he was going to be DQ'd until I saw him pull back after Peace Rules made his move to the rail. It's hard to tell how far apart they were from the replay but one fact that can't be disputed is that Liam did pull back after Peace Rules moved in front of him. If Peace Rules moved in front of Liam causing him to slow down and go ride Peace Rules comes down for starting the chain reaction or possibly Liam if Peace Rules didn't cause anything and compromising the chances of the other horses. I don't know why they didn't show the head on replay a little better. It reminds me of greyhound racing.
Like in other sports I think an explanation should be made by the stewards, especially in a big race like this to help the fans understand what was looked at and why the decision was made. I've never been a jockey so I don't have the insight.
Deep down though all I thought is there's no way they'll take down a Frankel/Bailey horse unless they have absolutely no choice. Again like in other sports the stars get a break or two.
Oh well, on to the next race!