PDA

View Full Version : Riley Cooper

Valuist
08-02-2013, 02:33 PM
I see the Eagles have "excused" the receiver from the team for his racial slur he said. While a stupid comment by Cooper, this seems a bit overboard. How about excusing every player who drops an F bomb? You'd have nobody left to play. And how about Michael Vick, that paragon of virtue, commenting on the matter? Vick is "shocked and appalled? Really? I wonder how the rest of the civilized world felt about Vick when he was torturing and killing dogs? Its pathetic that piece of $hit is even commenting on the matter. Racism in America is NOT a one way street, as much as the MSM wants to present it as that.

DJofSD
08-02-2013, 02:39 PM
Don't fret. He's going to get some counselling. There, all better.

Valuist
08-02-2013, 02:47 PM
These are supposed to be football players. Not only tough physically, but emotionally. One spoken word isn't supposed to reduce them to tears. Was the comment in bad taste and poor judgement? Sure, but the team already fined him. Enough is enough. But outlets like ESPN can't let it go.

Stillriledup
08-02-2013, 02:48 PM
Here's a question for all of you.

Why are we as a society "Demanding" that people conform to the way WE want to live? In other words, if this guy says something that we find offensive, why can't we just accept that instead of trying to "change" him to believe what WE want him to believe and to change him to say what we want him to say?

Also, people are acting like this guy is beating baby seals or robbing old ladies.

DJofSD
08-02-2013, 02:51 PM
Here's a question for all of you.

Why are we as a society "Demanding" that people conform to the way WE want to live? In other words, if this guy says something that we find offensive, why can't we just accept that instead of trying to "change" him to believe what WE want him to believe and to change him to say what we want him to say?

Also, people are acting like this guy is beating baby seals or robbing old ladies.
I'll turn that around: why should they get a pass? B/c they're athletes?

Big fat double standard as far as I'm concerned.

Stillriledup
08-02-2013, 02:56 PM

Im not saying they should get a pass, i'm just saying that why do we care so much to want to CHANGE the way this guy thinks? He said it, he should own it and not apologize for saying what he really wanted to say. We seem to constantly want to conform people into 'good little soldiers' who fall into line and tote the politically correct answer and the PC way of living.

DJofSD
08-02-2013, 02:59 PM
No, it's not PC. It's being disrespectful. Using language like that serves no purpose.

Valuist
08-02-2013, 03:04 PM

Really? If this happened to somebody who worked an everyday job, its likely nothing would happen. They may alienate some co-workers, but its doubtful they'd be fined. If Jeremy Maclin doesn't get hurt and Cooper stays a backup, does that video even get out?

DJofSD
08-02-2013, 03:09 PM
Lack of action by a business is an excuse to let something like that slide? So basically it's whatever you can get away with and if caught then apologize?

Valuist
08-02-2013, 03:17 PM
Lack of action by a business is an excuse to let something like that slide? So basically it's whatever you can get away with and if caught then apologize?

Most people in the regular working world don't have a spotlight on them. I'm sure this type of thing is happening somewhere right now. Does that make it right? Nobody said it did. Cooper was fined and has been alienated by his teammates. But his teammates need to grow up......is Vick going to look elsewhere when Cooper is open? Is Cooper going to be the recipient of a cheap shot at practice? That kind of stuff is inexcuseable. I have no problem with LeSean McCoy saying he doesn't want to have anything to do with Cooper off the field. But come game time, he's still your teammate, like him or not.

TJDave
08-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Really? If this happened to somebody who worked an everyday job, its likely nothing would happen. They may alienate some co-workers, but its doubtful they'd be fined.

Fired, probably. If an employee of mine for whatever reason couldn't get along, they'd BE gone.

This is all about PR. Sports franchises make money from fan support. The team ownership determined this behavior was detrimental to the bottom line.

FantasticDan
08-02-2013, 03:39 PM
The guy was drunk and belligerent at a concert and said something completely stupid.

He was fined and punished accordingly, and that should've been the end of it. I hate how these things escalate into craziness courtesy of the tabloid media, of which ESPN is certainly a member.

johnhannibalsmith
08-02-2013, 03:48 PM
I don't like to pretend that I should be the one to decide what an appropriate repercussion should be, but I actually watched the clip for some reason and the guy probably deserves to have his head caved in during practice as much as anything. What a douchebag acting idiot he is.

TJDave
08-02-2013, 03:50 PM
The guy was drunk and belligerent at a concert and said something completely stupid.

Acting stupidly has consequences.

People tend to be less inhibited and more honest when they drink. ;)

And since when has being drunk, publicly or otherwise, been acceptable behavior?

Robert Goren
08-02-2013, 04:29 PM
Cooper wasn't likely to make Eagles anyway. He sucks as a receiver. A new coach can not put with these distractions from marginal players. This coach at Oregon did not put with it there even with his star players. The old Eagles coach is in KC because in part he put with too much of it in his last few years. Football is the ultimate team game. If you are not on board 100%, then either you are gone or the coach is gone soon or later. Cooper is just good enough to land some place as a fifth wide out. Players in the NFL who do stupid thing when they have had a few drinks float around for a while, then disappear. It has happened to lot better players than Riley Cooper.

Hank
08-02-2013, 04:34 PM
I see the Eagles have "excused" the receiver from the team for his racial slur he said. While a stupid comment by Cooper, this seems a bit overboard. How about excusing every player who drops an F bomb? You'd have nobody left to play. And how about Michael Vick, that paragon of virtue, commenting on the matter? Vick is "shocked and appalled? Really? I wonder how the rest of the civilized world felt about Vick when he was torturing and killing dogs? Its pathetic that piece of $hit is even commenting on the matter. Racism in America is NOT a one way street, as much as the MSM wants to present it as that.

Please dear Euthyphro teach us about racism.

PhantomOnTour
08-02-2013, 04:37 PM
I thought Vick's comments were in favor of Cooper and that he still accepts him as a friend and teammate.
I heard this a few days ago - have not heard anything Vick has said since, so I may be mistaken.

...and on Sundays in D.C thousands will scream "Go Redskins!"...a direct reference to the color of one's skin. :faint:

Valuist
08-02-2013, 04:39 PM
Cooper wasn't likely to make Eagles anyway. He sucks as a receiver. A new coach can not put with these distractions from marginal players. This coach at Oregon did not put with it there even with his star players. The old Eagles coach is in KC because in part he put with too much of it in his last few years. Football is the ultimate team game. If you are not on board 100%, then either you are gone or the coach is gone soon or later. Cooper is just good enough to land some place as a fifth wide out. Players in the NFL who do stupid thing when they have had a few drinks float around for a while, then disappear. It has happened to lot better players than Riley Cooper.

He was practicing with the first team, after Maclin went down.

Not a good summer for University of Florida alumni.

Valuist
08-02-2013, 04:41 PM
Please dear Euthyphro teach us about racism.

I get it. Cooper's comments were racist, but I'm guessing Roddy White's comment wasn't? You know, the Twitter comment that he hoped all of the jurors in the Zimmerman trial would get killed.

wiffleball whizz
08-02-2013, 04:47 PM
I'm starting to notice that white people are starting to stand there ground on the double standard issue......more and more I'm
Seeing white people say well it's ok for black people to say what they want but we can't say anything

NJ Stinks
08-02-2013, 05:12 PM
I thought Vick's comments were in favor of Cooper and that he still accepts him as a friend and teammate.
I heard this a few days ago - have not heard anything Vick has said since, so I may be mistaken.

I heard the same thing. Vick definitely said he knew what kind of a guy Cooper is so this was not a big deal.

Now Vick can't get past it.

Who knows which way the wind will blow tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Robert Goren
08-02-2013, 05:19 PM
I'm starting to notice that white people are starting to stand there ground on the double standard issue......more and more I'm
Seeing white people say well it's ok for black people to say what they want but we can't say anythingWe can't say anything stupid. Sometime a black can get away with it yet, but that door is closing too. I find nothing wrong with punishing stupidity when it effects the work place. It should happen more, not less regardless of color. Words matter and a divided work place is a failing work place. Anybody who ran a business knows that.

Stillriledup
08-02-2013, 05:44 PM
Would there be an equal outcry if he insulted another race or religion? My gut tells me no.

ManU918
08-02-2013, 05:52 PM

Living in South Philly I think I probably have a better feel then most... Cooper was and should absolutely make the team. He's currently the third best WR on the team (Now that Maclin is out for the season). Reid is not in KC because he put up with to much... Reid is in KC because he wasn't winning. His time was simply up and IMO should of been gone long before Lurie pulled the trigger. Lurie has set the standard of giving players second chances and not overreacting to situations. He first signed Vick, then didn't suspend Jackson when he called someone on live radio a "gay ass faggot", then didn't suspend McCoy when he got in a twitter war with his kids mom/got in trouble with a girl on a party bus... So yes maybe saying ****** is bad to the african american community but calling someone a gay ass faggot is bad to the gay community and humiliating females is bad to the females. If your not going to suspend Jackson or McCoy then you can't suspend Cooper, its as simple as that.

Robert Fischer
08-02-2013, 06:03 PM
These guys have got to sell the beer and truck commercials.

Now he'll go to counselling and like Robert Goren said, problem solved.

JustRalph
08-02-2013, 06:04 PM

He was fined and punished accordingly, and that should've been the end of it. I hate how these things escalate into craziness courtesy of the tabloid media, of which ESPN is certainly a member.

Ah huh!! We finally agree on something. You called it right. ESPN loves to run with this kind of shit.

Robert Goren
08-02-2013, 08:50 PM
Living in South Philly I think I probably have a better feel then most... Cooper was and should absolutely make the team. He's currently the third best WR on the team (Now that Maclin is out for the season). Reid is not in KC because he put up with to much... Reid is in KC because he wasn't winning. His time was simply up and IMO should of been gone long before Lurie pulled the trigger. Lurie has set the standard of giving players second chances and not overreacting to situations. He first signed Vick, then didn't suspend Jackson when he called someone on live radio a "gay ass faggot", then didn't suspend McCoy when he got in a twitter war with his kids mom/got in trouble with a girl on a party bus... So yes maybe saying ****** is bad to the african american community but calling someone a gay ass faggot is bad to the gay community and humiliating females is bad to the females. If your not going to suspend Jackson or McCoy then you can't suspend Cooper, its as simple as that.So Cooper was on your fantasy teams last year?!:lol:

ManU918
08-02-2013, 08:58 PM
So Cooper was on your fantasy teams last year?!:lol:

Fantasy? LOL.... Are you serious? I'm not as DeSean Jackson would say a "gay ass fagot".

JustRalph
08-02-2013, 09:14 PM
Fantasy? LOL.... Are you serious? I'm not as DeSean Jackson would say a "gay ass fagot".

Report to the war room for therapy. Make it 11p.m. Your therapists will be Tom, Cj's Dad and Grits! That should cover the east coast from Mass down to NC and over to Buffalo.

Next week you will be indoctrinated in how to speak n the Midwest

newtothegame
08-02-2013, 09:52 PM
We can't say anything stupid. Sometime a black can get away with it yet, but that door is closing too. I find nothing wrong with punishing stupidity when it effects the work place. It should happen more, not less regardless of color. Words matter and a divided work place is a failing work place. Anybody who ran a business knows that.
BS, Al Sharpton regularly uses race and race baiting and often crosses the line and is given a high paying job for his efforts....
Paula Dean...not so much for something that happened thirty years ago????
Show me a case where a high profile black person was held to a standard for racial insensitivity.........waiting

Mike at A+
08-02-2013, 09:58 PM
BS, Al Sharpton regularly uses race and race baiting and often crosses the line and is given a high paying job for his efforts....
Paula Dean...not so much for something that happened thirty years ago????
Show me a case where a high profile black person was held to a standard for racial insensitivity.........waiting
Don't hold your breath. Why can rappers us the N word frequently in their songs? Why can blacks like Charlie Rangel say "cracker"? There is a huge double standard. And of course the media makes mountains out of molehills. Until blacks have to follow the same rules as whites regarding offensive language, this is a "phony scandal".

Stillriledup
08-02-2013, 10:38 PM
Don't hold your breath. Why can rappers us the N word frequently in their songs? Why can blacks like Charlie Rangel say "cracker"? There is a huge double standard. And of course the media makes mountains out of molehills. Until blacks have to follow the same rules as whites regarding offensive language, this is a "phony scandal".

Instead of a team or a company "standing by" their employee, they toss him under the bus, treat him like a criminal, force him to go to "sensitivity" counseling, fine him, suspend him and so on and so forth. Look at Paula Deen, she may as well be a child molester, her career and life as she knew it is over. Its insane.

ManU918
08-02-2013, 10:52 PM
According to Miss Jeantel any race can say it with an A but only blacks can say it with an R.... This country is so ridiculous...

http://youtu.be/2jUTzivZNO8

Stillriledup
08-02-2013, 11:09 PM
According to Miss Jeantel any race can say it with an A but only blacks can say it with an R.... This country is so ridiculous...

http://youtu.be/2jUTzivZNO8

I beg to differ with Miss Jeantel that any race can say it with an A, that's not something that i would 'try at home'

newtothegame
08-03-2013, 12:51 AM
Rep Charlie Rangel...(psst Black man) in reference to the TEA PARTY recently...

"“It is the same group we faced in the South with those white crackers and the dogs and the police. They didn’t care about how they looked. It was just fierce indifference to human life that caused America to say enough is enough"

Now lets see if he looses his job and pension!!!!

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/08/02/Rangel-Tea-Party

TJDave
08-03-2013, 01:20 AM
Why can rappers us the N word frequently in their songs?

Because millions of white kids buy their music. If they depended solely on the black community they'd be driving Monzas instead of Mercedes.

wiffleball whizz
08-03-2013, 01:31 AM
As always since race is a touchy subject if this comes across as offensive it wasn't meant to be......

I consider black people Americans just like us and have no problems and hope they are all successful:...

I'm trying to figure out why the blacks and whites aren't furious with how the Indians and Asians are taking this county over........I don't know how that hasn't gotten any draw on here since I joined.....

johnhannibalsmith
08-03-2013, 01:56 AM
I'm trying to figure out why the blacks and whites aren't furious with how the Indians and Asians are taking this county over....

Because they'd have to be furious with themselves and that's not going to happen.

Mike at A+
08-03-2013, 08:18 AM
As always since race is a touchy subject if this comes across as offensive it wasn't meant to be......

I consider black people Americans just like us and have no problems and hope they are all successful:...

I'm trying to figure out why the blacks and whites aren't furious with how the Indians and Asians are taking this county over........I don't know how that hasn't gotten any draw on here since I joined.....
They are not "taking this country over". They are SUCCEEDING. Big difference. Success is usually directly proportional to education and work ethic. The Indians and the Asians take school seriously, much more so than whites or blacks. The Indians and Asians are also very big on family values, especially the two parent household. I better stop here before the resident libs play the racist bigot homophobe card.

Robert Goren
08-03-2013, 01:11 PM
It is shock to most is there are two governors of southern states that are descendants of immigrants from India. Everybody knows about the governor of LA, but few know about lady governor of S.C. , Nikki Haley. Endorsed in her run for office by everybody in the GOP from Romney to Palin. She seems to actually have a brain which is rare for southern conservatives. She, at age 41, may be the future of the conservative movement. There, I just put the kiss of death on her for the right wing nuts on this board. :lol:

cj's dad
08-03-2013, 02:59 PM
Someone please send me a PM when a black person is suspended 'fined/counseled for using the term "white boy".

JustRalph
08-03-2013, 06:30 PM
She seems to actually have a brain which is rare for southern conservatives.

Prima facia evidence you are an asshole

newtothegame
08-03-2013, 06:34 PM
Prima facia evidence you are an racial asshole
FTFY

Stillriledup
08-03-2013, 06:51 PM
Someone please send me a PM when a black person is suspended 'fined/counseled for using the term "white boy".

Pull up a chair, open up a snickers bar, its going to be a long wait.

newtothegame
08-03-2013, 11:17 PM
Gee, I'm still waiting on the calls for Charlie Rangel to step down......I am pretty sure the term "white cracker" is a racial slur........
Sluethy, maybe you can assist...??? I see you've gone rather silent! :lol:

PaceAdvantage
08-04-2013, 06:02 PM
Prima facia evidence you are an assholeAnd for those who will cry to me later how unfair I am that I let something like this stay up, just read Goren's multiple posts calling the "right leaners" on here NUTS as well as (and I paraphrase here) BRAIN DEAD...

Thank you.

Tom
08-04-2013, 09:24 PM
Why would anyone give a crap what some dumb jock has to say about anything?
Or some idiot guitar player?

Catch the ball, strum the box, sing your song - then shut up and move along. YOUR contribution has ended.

Robert Goren
11-10-2013, 03:37 PM
Cooper wasn't likely to make Eagles anyway. He sucks as a receiver. A new coach can not put with these distractions from marginal players. This coach at Oregon did not put with it there even with his star players. The old Eagles coach is in KC because in part he put with too much of it in his last few years. Football is the ultimate team game. If you are not on board 100%, then either you are gone or the coach is gone soon or later. Cooper is just good enough to land some place as a fifth wide out. Players in the NFL who do stupid thing when they have had a few drinks float around for a while, then disappear. It has happened to lot better players than Riley Cooper.I am the first to admit it when I was wrong. I put him on my fantasy team 3 weeks ago and he has been a juggernaut ever since. 2 TDs and counting today.

wiffleball whizz
11-10-2013, 03:44 PM
Those comments he made are looooooooooong forgotten

Robert Fischer
11-10-2013, 03:50 PM
Those comments he made are looooooooooong forgotten

boys will be boys...

Ocala Mike
11-10-2013, 06:03 PM
Looks like the leader of the NAACP compared to Incognito, who died for Cooper's sins.

ManU918
11-11-2013, 08:38 AM
Living in South Philly I think I probably have a better feel then most... Cooper was and should absolutely make the team. Reid is not in KC because he put up with to much... Reid is in KC because he wasn't winning. His time was simply up and IMO should of been gone long before Lurie pulled the trigger. Lurie has set the standard of giving players second chances and not overreacting to situations. He first signed Vick, then didn't suspend Jackson when he called someone on live radio a "gay ass faggot", then didn't suspend McCoy when he got in a twitter war with his kids mom/got in trouble with a girl on a party bus... So yes maybe saying ****** is bad to the african american community but calling someone a gay ass faggot is bad to the gay community and humiliating females is bad to the females. If your not going to suspend Jackson or McCoy then you can't suspend Cooper, its as simple as that.

My man COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP

Valuist
11-11-2013, 12:16 PM
How about Foles? 16 TDs and ZERO ints. Tough to top that, and now two straight wins on the road.