PDA

View Full Version : A visitors short visit to Saratoga

1st time lasix
08-02-2013, 11:17 AM
My NY hosts had a home decorated in a racing motif with an inviting front porch....just a couple of short blocks to the Ciro's entrance of the old track so steeped in tradition. With their horsemen credentials...I was lucky enough to have access to the backstretch, barns and paddock. I went to the track at dawn both days to see all the early works confirming to me once again that it is by far the best time to see some quality animals up close.....soaking in the ambiance of the venue. As the morning fog burned off...the track was very active. Pletcher seems to have a full calvary brigade. Watched the sun come up..... with a spicy Bloody Mary disguised in a coffee cup. With my accomodations so close- you could just hear the evening band at Ciro's after the last race....I saw the winners drinking champagne and the losers ordering another beer --all seemingly waiting for the next day's first post to do it all over again. Had a grandstand seat on Friday and 1st level private box seat on Saturday. Felt like a high-rolling millionare on that Jim Dandy day. The weather was good and the "eye candy" was spectacular. All the totally decked-out ladies in their high heels, summer dresses and fancy hats. Enough to make an old man wish for younger days! Witnessed Johnny V break Jerry Bailey's all-time jocky win record at the Spa. Nice that he was on hand for the ceremony in the winner's circle. Saw Belmont winner-Palace Malace. Had a great dinner with friends at Sperry's and Maestro's. Visited the bars-the Parting Glass, Ciro's, the Thirsty Owl and 9 Maple. Toga is quite the social scene....a place to see...and be seen. Back home Sunday in Florida very tired...a little lighter in the wallet....with a memorable experience for a fan like me. Met Andy Serling twice while attending his shows...saw Tom Amoss, Dale Romans, James Jerkins, Joel Rosario, John Sheriffs, and Todd Pletcher-- who seems to have the world by the tail these days. Perhaps it won't be another decade before i return again. Love to go back to revisit the many thing I likely missed. I did pick up a couple tabs and send my hosts a box of steaks as a thank you gift. One never knows what the future may bring......:)

jahura2
08-02-2013, 02:35 PM
My NY hosts had a home decorated in a racing motif with an inviting front porch....just a couple of short blocks to the Ciro's entrance of the old track so steeped in tradition. With their horsemen credentials...I was lucky enough to have access to the backstretch, barns and paddock. I went to the track at dawn both days to see all the early works confirming to me once again that it is by far the best time to see some quality animals up close.....soaking in the ambiance of the venue. As the morning fog burned off...the track was very active. Pletcher seems to have a full calvary brigade. Watched the sun come up..... with a spicy Bloody Mary disguised in a coffee cup. With my accomodations so close- you could just hear the evening band at Ciro's after the last race....I saw the winners drinking champagne and the losers ordering another beer --all seemingly waiting for the next day's first post to do it all over again. Had a grandstand seat on Friday and 1st level private box seat on Saturday. Felt like a high-rolling millionare on that Jim Dandy day. The weather was good and the "eye candy" was spectacular. All the totally decked-out ladies in their high heels, summer dresses and fancy hats. Enough to make an old man wish for younger days! Witnessed Johnny V break Jerry Bailey's all-time jocky win record at the Spa. Nice that he was on hand for the ceremony in the winner's circle. Saw Belmont winner-Palace Malace. Had a great dinner with friends at Sperry's and Maestro's. Visited the bars-the Parting Glass, Ciro's, the Thirsty Owl and 9 Maple. Toga is quite the social scene....a place to see...and be seen. Back home Sunday in Florida very tired...a little lighter in the wallet....with a memorable experience for a fan like me. Met Andy Serling twice while attending his shows...saw Tom Amoss, Dale Romans, James Jerkins, Joel Rosario, John Sheriffs, and Todd Pletcher-- who seems to have the world by the tail these days. Perhaps it won't be another decade before i return again. Love to go back to revisit the many thing I likely missed. I did pick up a couple tabs and send my hosts a box of steaks as a thank you gift. One never knows what the future may bring......:)

1st Time.....to further enhance your racing memoirs come to Keeneland some time. With the Univ of Ky. Coeds in the spring and fall
I bet we can match that eye candy you are talking about. The racings not too bad either. The only problem is the main track is rubber and plastic!

Zydeco
08-02-2013, 07:45 PM

This sounds like a great time!!

BMustang
08-02-2013, 09:50 PM
1st Time.....to further enhance your racing memoirs come to Keeneland some time. With the Univ of Ky. Coeds in the spring and fall
I bet we can match that eye candy you are talking about. The racings not too bad either. The only problem is the main track is rubber and plastic!

Tragic!!!

NJ Stinks
08-02-2013, 11:56 PM
Things always seem to go better 1st Time Lasix. :cool:

1st time lasix
08-05-2013, 09:26 AM
Yes.....Keeneland is very much on the top of my "bucket" list. I had solid plans to go once....which unfortunately I had to cancel. :( Still have my unused tickets in my office desk. Would love a four day trip to Lexington visiting the local farms and seeing the track in the fall when the weather is a bit more predictable. Maybe even take in a UK SEC home night game or a Keeneland yearling sale? Family wedding in October this year---- so 2014 is likely my next best chance. Understand that getting premier reserved seats there takes some "pull." Only Del Mar remains after that to satisfy my track travel desires. (It is just such a long way from Florida for a short weekend trip.) I have already enjoyed Gulfstream, Tampa, Saratoga, Arlington and Monmouth. Each has unique characteristics. Sure I will return to Arlington and Saratoga again if I can work it out down the road.

ronsmac
08-05-2013, 11:41 AM
since I've been to almost every track that I ever wanted to see here, my bucket list would be longchamp, ascot , melbourne cup and japan cup. It may never happen but I can dream.

Hoofless_Wonder
08-05-2013, 04:19 PM
since I've been to almost every track that I ever wanted to see here, my bucket list would be longchamp, ascot , melbourne cup and japan cup. It may never happen but I can dream.

Yes, Flemington and Tokyo racecourses must be awesome on their big days, and I think Sha Tin for the Hong Kong Champions Mile would be right up there as well.

Went to the Spa last year for a couple of days - very nice. Keeneland has the best venue now, though Hialeah back in the 1980s was like a dream. Love the fair atmosphere at Ellis, though it's usually hot. Heading up to Arlington on Sunday, and that's one fine modern facility. I think Ft. Erie is at the top of the list of NA tracks I haven't been to yet, and couple on the West coast (Ferndale and Hastings) would be up there as well.

After winning Powerball on Wednesday, the bucket list becomes less of a dream and more of a reality.... :)