PDA

View Full Version : Aug 1, 1979. Munson's last game.

Stillriledup
08-01-2013, 03:38 PM
Played in Chicago vs the White Sox 34 years ago today.

cj
08-01-2013, 04:58 PM
I remember that well. My friends and I actually buried his baseball card, like we did with others that died. Weird I know, but we did it. I remember Don Wilson, and Lyman Bostock, and Bob Moose. Why I remember them, I don't know. There was a Brewer too whose name escapes me.

Valuist
08-01-2013, 05:59 PM
I remember that well. My friends and I actually buried his baseball card, like we did with others that died. Weird I know, but we did it. I remember Don Wilson, and Lyman Bostock, and Bob Moose. Why I remember them, I don't know. There was a Brewer too whose name escapes me.

Like Munson, Bostock was killed shortly after playing the White Sox in Chicago. But Bostock was shot to death in Gary. I think Wilson's death was a suicide.

Stillriledup
08-01-2013, 06:46 PM

I felt like a member of my family died when i heard about Munson. Baseball was my life growing up, played it, lived it, slept it. The Bostock and Moose situations were very sad too and i really felt close to all these guys just due to following the sport so closely.

JustRalph
08-01-2013, 08:06 PM
He used to be the most famous athlete from Akron Ohio. He was a big deal in Central Ohio even though he was a Yankee.

Crashed his plane near where he grew up. It was a tough way to go.

He was flying his own private jet.

He died the first or second year the Columbus Clippers were the Yankee farm team. If my memory serves me right

TJDave
08-01-2013, 08:39 PM
Was the cause of the crash ever determined?

Rise Over Run
08-01-2013, 08:59 PM
Pilot error based on the NTSB investigation

http://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/summary/AAR8002.html

cj's dad
08-01-2013, 10:56 PM

Was that in our back yard with you and John F, ?

Stillriledup
09-23-2013, 03:34 AM

Today is the 35th anniversary of Lyman Bostock's murder. He was shot in the head by a jealous man who thought Lyman was having an affair with his wife, the man tried to shoot his own wife and hit bostock instead. The shooter pleaded that his wife's infidelity made him insane and the court actually agreed he was insane. He went for "treatment" and after a short time, he was declared sane, never went to jail and lived out his life and died of natural causes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyman_Bostock

Marshall Bennett
09-23-2013, 06:47 AM
I only lived a few miles from Don Wilson in Southwest Houston. Many unanswered questions were left behind after his death, which was officially ruled as accidental. The garage he died in was attached to the house so the exhaust fumes made it into the home also killing his young son and hospitalizing the rest of his family. Folks close to Don suspected he was involved with organized crime somehow and this was no accident and certainly not a suicide which was eventually ruled out.
Sonny Liston's death followed a similar nature in that he was involved with the mob and his death always was a mystery. In both instances the truth will likely never be known with so much time having passed.

Stillriledup
08-01-2014, 05:26 AM
35 year anny of Munson's last game.

kingfin66
08-01-2014, 09:08 PM

Was it Dan Thomas?

Tom
08-01-2014, 11:00 PM
We had just gotten cable a couple years before that, and the 70's were the decade of the Yankees around here. Every Yankee game on WPIX Channel 11 NY. That day was a real downer for all of us on the 3-11 shift.

Show Me the Wire
08-01-2014, 11:49 PM
Played in Chicago vs the White Sox 34 years ago today.

I was there. Felt bad for booing him.

wisconsin
08-02-2014, 12:30 PM
Danny Thomas killed himself in a jail cell. Sad whacko who once hit 51 homers in the minors one year.

I think he was also the kid who refused to play on Saturdays.

Stillriledup
08-01-2015, 05:01 AM
Yanks in Chicago tonight on 36th anniversary of Munson's last game.

Tor Ekman
08-01-2015, 06:43 AM
Danny Thomas killed himself in a jail cell. Sad whacko who once hit 51 homers in the minors one year.

I think he was also the kid who refused to play on Saturdays.
Not even Uncle Tonoose could convince him to play on Saturdays