PDA

View Full Version : Rich Perloff on his way to winning Pick 6 at Spa today.

Stillriledup
07-29-2013, 05:04 PM
He's looking good, he's 4 for 4 with two chalk types to go. He needs the 9 Revenue and the 6 Typhoon Teri to get the cash.

Go Rich!

arno
07-29-2013, 05:39 PM
He now just needs the last race for payoff of 53,212. Five of the horses out of eleven carry over.

Stillriledup
07-29-2013, 05:42 PM
If the 6 wins the last race, he will be the artist formerly known as Rich Perloff...his new name will be SIR Rich Perloff.

:ThmbUp:

PhantomOnTour
07-29-2013, 06:01 PM
Nice job Perloff !

$80 ticket....wait, he singled the last three legs?....hmmmmm :lol:

arno
07-29-2013, 06:01 PM
He won!

Mineshaft
07-29-2013, 06:02 PM
the 6 won

ManU918
07-29-2013, 06:03 PM
Great handicapping on his part but I wonder if he actually played it.

Zydeco
07-29-2013, 06:04 PM
Good job Rich Perloff!

NJ Stinks
07-29-2013, 06:05 PM
Great handicapping on his part but I wonder if he actually played it.

Can't see Rich not being straight about it.

Sure hope he did! :cool:

ManU918
07-29-2013, 06:09 PM
Can't see Rich not being straight about it.

Sure hope he did! :cool:

What do you mean by not being straight? These guys throw plays/picks on graphics all day long... Do you really think they play everything they put up on a graphic? I highly doubt it. That being said I hope he played it....If he didn't hes probably making his way to the roof.

kingfin66
07-29-2013, 06:24 PM
What do you mean by not being straight? These guys throw plays/picks on graphics all day long... Do you really think they play everything they put up on a graphic? I highly doubt it. That being said I hope he played it....If he didn't hes probably making his way to the roof.

This is a very good point and oh so true. I have even heard Schrupp refer to "real" ticket on the air. With that said, I really, really hope that Rich sent it in.

JBmadera
07-29-2013, 06:26 PM
That's so awesome. Way to go Rich!!! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Shelby
07-29-2013, 06:52 PM
WOW. Talk about it being your day. He had, what, 3 singles?

I'm dying DYING to know if he really played it. I hope he did!

Stillriledup
07-29-2013, 06:54 PM
No congrats to me for releasing the late DD? Remember, i put this up with 2 legs remaining and "gave out" the last two winners :lol:

wiffleball whizz
07-29-2013, 07:20 PM

Poster made comment from the pick 6 scandel at Arlington.....singling horses Made it look so obvious.....

Beachbabe
07-29-2013, 07:35 PM
Good for him. Rich Perloff is the one personality I like best among all those on both TVG & HRTV. He gives good sound reasons for his picks; admits he only plays the horizontals, because he's not a grinder; doesn't delude himself into thinking he can make a living betting, but gets a charge out of playing those bets where the horse that wins makes for the payoff.
I hope he played it for real. If I had to guess, I'd say he did. I wouldn't be surprised if he admitted it tomorrow, either way.

mabred
07-29-2013, 07:38 PM
Did he use timeform
along with his toolbox angles???
He's on Mondays alone, maybe he will
share how he picked it???
He gets a lot of e-mails on the show.

mabred

Stillriledup
07-29-2013, 08:14 PM
Hmmm, Rich being vague about his "hit". See 3rd tweet down.

https://twitter.com/RichPerloff

TheEdge07
07-29-2013, 08:21 PM
Hmmm, Rich being vague about his "hit". See 3rd tweet down.

https://twitter.com/RichPerloff

Wants us to tune in.

Stillriledup
07-29-2013, 08:25 PM
Wants us to tune in.

Dont we tune in anyway? :D

Anyone on here with a twitter tweet this discussion to Rich and tell him to chime in and that we don't bite.

PaceAdvantage
07-29-2013, 08:32 PM
I know he has mentioned this website on the air, so it's nice to see him hit a big one!! :ThmbUp:

And I don't even care if he said good things or bad things about PA...as they say, any publicity is good publicity! :lol:

Mineshaft
07-29-2013, 08:35 PM
he had to play it-with the big carryover im thinking he played it.

johnhannibalsmith
07-29-2013, 08:36 PM
Old Shakespearian thespian is one of the good guys. I sincerely hope that he punched that one. Go Iago!

098poi
07-29-2013, 08:39 PM
Reminds me of this joke,

A elderly man goes into confession and says to the priest,

“Father, I’m 80 years old, married, have four kids and eleven healthy grandchildren, and last night I had an affair with two 18 year old girls. I made love with both of them… twice.”

The priest said, “Well, my son, when was the last time you were in confession?”

“Never Father… I’m Jewish.”

“So then, why are you telling me?”

“I’m telling everybody!”

I hope he played but if he won 53K I think he'd be telling everybody.

PaceAdvantage
07-29-2013, 08:40 PM
I hope he played but if he won 53K I think he'd be telling everybody.He wants you to tune in tomorrow to find out...not a bad move...

Shelby
07-29-2013, 09:33 PM
I'll be glued --I'm SO hoping he played it.

PoloUK6108
07-29-2013, 09:37 PM
Maybe he wants to give the official total after taxes? (or is that able to be calculated by anyone? :blush: )

pandy
07-29-2013, 09:41 PM
I hope he played it, too, but either way, great picking, it's really tough to hit playing a small ticket. It's tough to hit the Pick 4 with a small ticket!

ronsmac
07-29-2013, 10:49 PM
Poster made comment from the pick 6 scandel at Arlington.....singling horses Made it look so obvious.....
Yes, but they singled the first 4 races and went all all in the last two.

castaway01
07-29-2013, 11:20 PM
Joining the chorus hoping Perloff played it. Great handicapping either way.

menifee
07-30-2013, 12:35 AM
Maybe he wants to give the official total after taxes? (or is that able to be calculated by anyone? :blush: )

If he played it, he netted around 40k approximately just on the p6. This excludes all the 5 out of 6 for $272 that he had.

Track Phantom
07-30-2013, 02:12 AM
I hope he played it. I've always liked Rich and think he approaches the game in a very honest, seemingly hard working way. It always seems he has good rationale for his opinions. That is valuable.

Not to take a shot at Simon. I don't have an axe to grind with him, but to contrast him with Rich, Sunday was a good example.

He posted his selections after the first race. He had the #9 Arraignment on top in race 5 (3-1). I tweeted to him and asked him if the fact that the horse was a vet scratch bothered him. (I was wondering if he could shed something about that as a former trainer). His response was "I like him because I don't have an opinion in the race". - Huh?

Maybe a better response would have been "I put him on top because I looked at the race for maybe 3 minutes".

I don't think Rich would ever do this.

Again - Not trying to take a shot at Simon but it highlights what I actually like about Rich. He does his homework and cares about how he does.

Hajck Hillstrom
07-30-2013, 02:15 AM
Rich, sadly, did not punch up the ticket, but instead, merely made it available to anyone that wanted to drop $80 and make nearly $55k with consolations.

I'd like to hear from THAT guy!

Light
07-30-2013, 02:19 AM
Pretty sure he didn't play it. Matt C and some other guy were talking right before the last race that Perloff needs the 6 horse for his ticket to hit and maybe someone out there may benefit from having played Perloff's ticket. Not once did they insinuate that Perloff had the ticket himself. They seemed to steer clear of that. Maybe they're in the dark about it, but I doubt it. They weren't excited at all. Besides Perloff has stated in the past, that the vast majority of times TVG dudes don't play their own tickets and are there to "help" others.

thaskalos
07-30-2013, 02:24 AM
It's a lot easier to pick the winners when you are not obligated to bet your money on them. :)

Stillriledup
07-30-2013, 02:46 AM
It's a lot easier to pick the winners when you are not obligated to bet your money on them. :)

Picking winners is equally difficult whether you bet them or not. I think the difference is that when you're not betting your own money, its easier to include a longshot on your ticket, a horse you might not have included if you had to purchase the ticket with own funds.

Either way, i think that TVG needs to have their analysts only release tickets that are being bet by the analyst. How are TVG account holders and others able to differentiate between tickets that are being given out because the handicapper LOVES his ticket, or tickets that are being given out because management forces them to do so. Its a credibility issue.

thaskalos
07-30-2013, 03:24 AM
Picking winners is equally difficult whether you bet them or not. I think the difference is that when you're not betting your own money, its easier to include a longshot on your ticket, a horse you might not have included if you had to purchase the ticket with own funds.

Either way, i think that TVG needs to have their analysts only release tickets that are being bet by the analyst. How are TVG account holders and others able to differentiate between tickets that are being given out because the handicapper LOVES his ticket, or tickets that are being given out because management forces them to do so. Its a credibility issue.

When you are not putting your money down, it isn't gambling...it's just talk. The men separate themselves from the boys at the betting window.

We say that there is a great deal of difference between "theory" and "practice". There is also a great deal of difference between a "handicapper", and a "horse bettor"". The handicapper handicaps...while the horse bettor bets.

They pay us for the betting.

wiffleball whizz
07-30-2013, 03:30 AM
When you are not putting your money down, it isn't gambling...it's just talk. The men separate themselves from the boys at the betting window.

We say that there is a great deal of difference between "theory" and "practice". There is also a great deal of difference between a "handicapper", and a "horse bettor"". The handicapper handicaps...while the horse bettor bets.

I've always been under the theory if your not betting your cash you got no say in the matter.......sure I'll say I like a horse but if I'm not betting my money how much do I really like the horse....

thaskalos
07-30-2013, 03:33 AM
I've always been under the theory if your not betting your cash you got no say in the matter.......sure I'll say I like a horse but if I'm not betting my money how much do I really like the horse....

If you are not betting your money, then you don't really like the horse...period!

And you are a hypocrite, or a hustler, if you expect other people to follow your advice.

wiffleball whizz
07-30-2013, 03:37 AM
If you are not betting your money, then you don't really like the horse...period!

And you are a hypocrite, or a hustler, if you expect other people to follow your advice.

Any day I'm gonna start getting the calls from the scamdicappers.....giants playing the patriots.....they call you and tell you to take the pats and then they call me and tell me to take the giants....

A big pet peeve of mine is somebody not betting trying to get me to bet something......put up your cash or shut the f*** up.....that's what u say!!

Stillriledup
07-30-2013, 03:46 AM

I know what you're saying, these guys need to bet for credibility, i get that part of it. I think my point was more like this. Lets say i tell you i like a specific horse running in a couple days and i give you 8 lines of logic as to why the horse is a great pick, i discuss all the contenders strengths and weaknesses, i tell you about a specific thing i saw on the video replays, maybe an angle two that's not mainstream. You see my analysis and agree that what i'm presenting is something that you believe to be true and believe to be valuable. BUT, i decide not to bet the horse. Now, whether i bet the horse or not, the angles and information still exists....if the horse was full of run while blocked on tape, it was still full of run whether i play it or not....so, while its just 'talk' on my part, some of that 'talk' could help you wager on the winner...whether or not i bet means nothing to whether or not you bet and doesnt lessen in any way, the information i have given you.

Now, if i just say "bet the 3 horse in the first tomorrow at the Spa" and give you no logic whatsoever, than yeah, if i don't play it you should be concerned. I think it all comes down to WHY a capper likes a certain horse and if he can back up his pick with sound logic....if the sound logic is there, it really doesnt matter if the guy producing the logic bets or not.

thaskalos
07-30-2013, 04:02 AM
I know what you're saying, these guys need to bet for credibility, i get that part of it. I think my point was more like this. Lets say i tell you i like a specific horse running in a couple days and i give you 8 lines of logic as to why the horse is a great pick, i discuss all the contenders strengths and weaknesses, i tell you about a specific thing i saw on the video replays, maybe an angle two that's not mainstream. You see my analysis and agree that what i'm presenting is something that you believe to be true and believe to be valuable. BUT, i decide not to bet the horse. Now, whether i bet the horse or not, the angles and information still exists....if the horse was full of run while blocked on tape, it was still full of run whether i play it or not....so, while its just 'talk' on my part, some of that 'talk' could help you wager on the winner...whether or not i bet means nothing to whether or not you bet and doesnt lessen in any way, the information i have given you.

Now, if i just say "bet the 3 horse in the first tomorrow at the Spa" and give you no logic whatsoever, than yeah, if i don't play it you should be concerned. I think it all comes down to WHY a capper likes a certain horse and if he can back up his pick with sound logic....if the sound logic is there, it really doesnt matter if the guy producing the logic bets or not.

I see your point too, SRU...but there is something troubling about a handicapper who offers me a well-reasoned opinion about a particular horse being a great bet in a given race...without actually betting that horse himself.

IMO...a handicapper either has confidence in his opinions...or he doesn't.

And if he doesn't...then why should anybody else?

Stillriledup
07-30-2013, 04:57 AM
I see your point too, SRU...but there is something troubling about a handicapper who offers me a well-reasoned opinion about a particular horse being a great bet in a given race...without actually betting that horse himself.

IMO...a handicapper either has confidence in his opinions...or he doesn't.

And if he doesn't...then why should anybody else?

I know personally that i'm just looking for information and don't care at all if the person giving out the info bets on that info or not. If Rich Perloff or Matt C or someone else mentions something on the air about a horse that i didnt think of or didnt know in advance, im not going to care one way or another if Rich or Matt bets their own money....all i care about is how their tidbit fits into my handicapping and if they have said something i deem useful.

I think this would be more of a factor if i didnt have my own picks and my own information and i was just looking to piggyback someone.

wiffleball whizz
07-30-2013, 04:59 AM
Nobody sleeps anymore :lol: :lol:

thaskalos
07-30-2013, 05:04 AM
I know personally that i'm just looking for information and don't care at all if the person giving out the info bets on that info or not. If Rich Perloff or Matt C or someone else mentions something on the air about a horse that i didnt think of or didnt know in advance, im not going to care one way or another if Rich or Matt bets their own money....all i care about is how their tidbit fits into my handicapping and if they have said something i deem useful.

I think this would be more of a factor if i didnt have my own picks and my own information and i was just looking to piggyback someone.

If Rich Perloff and Matt C are mentioning things on the air that you haven't thought of...then you are in trouble. :)

thaskalos
07-30-2013, 05:05 AM
Nobody sleeps anymore :lol: :lol:

We'll sleep enough when we die.

proximity
07-30-2013, 05:16 AM
We'll sleep enough when we die.

is that sam Elliott from roadhouse??

thaskalos
07-30-2013, 05:23 AM
is that sam Elliott from roadhouse??

No...it was Nick "the Greek" Dandolos, when somebody asked him if he ever slept...after he had been playing at the same craps table for 36 hours straight.

ManU918
07-30-2013, 05:24 AM
The more I think about it the more I believe that Perloff did not play the pk6. He was active on twitter throughout the Pk6 and after... If he actually played, don't you think he would of taken a picture of the ticket or a screenshot if he placed the wager online? I know he has said tune in tomorrow to find out if he played but this came a few hours after the last leg crossed the line. If I were him the first thing I would have done was cash the ticket, then tweet out a picture of the ticket showing people that in fact it was an actual score.

KingChas
07-30-2013, 07:00 AM
Rich, sadly, did not punch up the ticket

Have to believe you.
He probably would have called off work today....(Tues.)........ :eek:

pandy
07-30-2013, 07:07 AM

Since I'm a handicapper who publishes picks I'll respond. This weekend the Meadowlands will have its Hambletonian card, probably 16 races or so. I'll provide my picks, analysis, and my own personal odds line for all of these races. Thousands of people will view my picks. Am I going to bet all of my picks? Of course not. I don't bet every race. I'll use my picks the way some smart bettors use them, I'll bet the overlays on my line. Many will handicap and then compare my picks to their own. Some who want to play the pick 4, or some other exotic, will include a horse I used that they overlooked (and if that horse helps them win a nice bet, great, then I've done my job).

I don't think it's fair to call me or professional handicappers in general hypocrites and hustlers. Yes, there are scamdicappers like Mike Warren and that type, but guys like Perloff are providing their insights. If you don't think they know what they're talking about, or if you feel that you know everything about a race and don't need any input, fine, don't listen.

As for Perloff, I'm a very good handicapper but I've actually had a few nice hits because Perloff mentioned something about a horse that I hadn't noticed and I included the horse on my ticket. In another post you on this thread you said that if Rich or Matt mention something you haven't thought of you're in trouble. You must be a genius because I have a vast knowledge of handicapping and they do sometimes mention something I haven't thought of. There are hundreds of handicapping factors. Although I look at a lot of factors, there are different ways of analyzing, and looking at a race.

The guys who work on the NFL network analyzing the games probably don't bet on the games, but since most of them are ex NFL players, they certainly have good insights and sometimes I take some of what they say into consideration as I'm analyzing which games I want to bet. I don't see what's wrong with that. My goal is to win. I don't mind getting some help from someone who has good input.

Marshall Bennett
07-30-2013, 08:41 AM
Well done, Rich!! :ThmbUp: Hope like hell you played that ticket. Let us know, will ya?

PhantomOnTour
07-30-2013, 09:33 AM
The more I think about it the more I believe that Perloff did not play the pk6. He was active on twitter throughout the Pk6 and after... If he actually played, don't you think he would of taken a picture of the ticket or a screenshot if he placed the wager online? I know he has said tune in tomorrow to find out if he played but this came a few hours after the last leg crossed the line. If I were him the first thing I would have done was cash the ticket, then tweet out a picture of the ticket showing people that in fact it was an actual score.
I think you're right and don't believe he played it either.
Either that, or he's awfully cool to sit still like this until the show today.

Quagmire
07-30-2013, 09:40 AM
Is it true that his ticket on TVG didn't have the chalk that was DQ'd in the third leg but had the one that was put up?

Valuist
07-30-2013, 10:12 AM
I think Perloff should get more air time on TVG. He and Caruthers, IMO, are the best handicappers on TVG. Whether he played it or not, it was good handicapping and bet structuring. It would be difficult knowing one gave out a $50k pic 6 on TV and didn't get to cash in on it.

Marshall Bennett
07-30-2013, 11:33 AM
I think Perloff should get more air time on TVG. He and Caruthers, IMO, are the best handicappers on TVG. Whether he played it or not, it was good handicapping and bet structuring. It would be difficult knowing one gave out a $50k pic 6 on TV and didn't get to cash in on it.
I emailed Rich a couple years ago asking him how he likes working with Matt. He talked as if he was his favorite co-host or analyst to work with. They're both really good. Matt often seems wacky when he tries to perform or entertain, but he's a super analyst when he sticks to racing. 58 flat doesn't do him justice because the show is centered too much around acting. I'm sure the producers wanted that when it began.
Rich is the best at TVG imo. If there's any downside it might be his ego. He hates to be wrong, particularly when he's told he's wrong by a viewer and the viewer ends up being right.

Light
07-30-2013, 11:56 AM
I have a recollection of Matt C hitting a $90K pick 6 a few years ago. Of course he didn't play it either.

bks
07-30-2013, 12:09 PM
Good comments on this thread.

Not to speak for Thaskalos, but to put the point I believe he's making another way: if you make a well-thought out case for a horse but do not bet him when you have the opportunity to, the question is "why not?" Bets are made on the basis of well-thought out arguments. For the informed bettor, they're the condition on which you make plays.

Outside of some extraordinary circumstance, NOT betting a horse for which you've made an excellent public argument when you have the means and opportunity to implies there is some other, unstated premise you've failed to include in your public reasoning. Otherwise your reasoning would issue in a bet.

I have to face this in myself too often when I have spent hours poring over a card and find I've identified a 20-1 shot I "like very much", but when it comes time to go to the window I struggle to muster the courage to bet the horse like I would if he were 5-2. What this means is: I don't really have the degree of confidence in the horse that my analysis warrants, since I have allowed others' perception of the horse's merits (expressed by the odds) to unduly skew my assessment of his chances. This can be a ruinous thing, but I fall prey to it too much.

thaskalos
07-30-2013, 12:25 PM
Since I'm a handicapper who publishes picks I'll respond. This weekend the Meadowlands will have its Hambletonian card, probably 16 races or so. I'll provide my picks, analysis, and my own personal odds line for all of these races. Thousands of people will view my picks. Am I going to bet all of my picks? Of course not. I don't bet every race. I'll use my picks the way some smart bettors use them, I'll bet the overlays on my line. Many will handicap and then compare my picks to their own. Some who want to play the pick 4, or some other exotic, will include a horse I used that they overlooked (and if that horse helps them win a nice bet, great, then I've done my job).

I don't think it's fair to call me or professional handicappers in general hypocrites and hustlers. Yes, there are scamdicappers like Mike Warren and that type, but guys like Perloff are providing their insights. If you don't think they know what they're talking about, or if you feel that you know everything about a race and don't need any input, fine, don't listen.

As for Perloff, I'm a very good handicapper but I've actually had a few nice hits because Perloff mentioned something about a horse that I hadn't noticed and I included the horse on my ticket. In another post you on this thread you said that if Rich or Matt mention something you haven't thought of you're in trouble. You must be a genius because I have a vast knowledge of handicapping and they do sometimes mention something I haven't thought of. There are hundreds of handicapping factors. Although I look at a lot of factors, there are different ways of analyzing, and looking at a race.

The guys who work on the NFL network analyzing the games probably don't bet on the games, but since most of them are ex NFL players, they certainly have good insights and sometimes I take some of what they say into consideration as I'm analyzing which games I want to bet. I don't see what's wrong with that. My goal is to win. I don't mind getting some help from someone who has good input.

That's not the conversation I was having with Stlllriledup, Pandy. We weren't talking about a handicapper just giving his general opinion about some races; we were talking about handicappers who have well-reasoned opinions on why a horse is a great bet in a race...but they are unwilling to bet money on this horse themselves.

There is a great deal of difference between offering picks on all the races of the day...and putting up selective, actual betting tickets...that you are encouraging other people to play...but are unwilling to bet yourself.

As I said earlier...handicapping gets a lot easier when there is no betting involved. It might be just me...but I'm not too impressed by sharp handicapping, unless it's accompanied by actual betting. Perhaps it's because I've been around some, and have seen plenty of horseplayers exhibit great handicapping talent while making "mind bets"...after their money is all gone.

And as far as Mr. Perloff and Mr. Caruthers are concerned, I'm certainly not a genius...but I always endeavor to do a more thorough handicapping job than these gentlemen do. I'd be broke if I didn't...

pandy
07-30-2013, 12:32 PM
Understood, thanks for your reply.

thaskalos
07-30-2013, 12:35 PM
I have to face this in myself too often when I have spent hours poring over a card and find I've identified a 20-1 shot I "like very much", but when it comes time to go to the window I struggle to muster the courage to bet the horse like I would if he were 5-2. What this means is: I don't really have the degree of confidence in the horse that my analysis warrants, since I have allowed others' perception of the horse's merits (expressed by the odds) to unduly skew my assessment of his chances. This can be a ruinous thing, but I fall prey to it too much.

Exactly!

Now...imagine touting the attributes of such a horse while not actually playing it...and then going back and bragging about your handicapping prowess after the horse wins. Are you not being a hypocrite?

That's why I say that handicapping gets a lot easier when there is no betting involved.

There are many extremely creative "mind bettors" out there...

Beachbabe
07-30-2013, 12:35 PM
Well it's 12:35 & Rich hasn't shown up yet. TVG just running track feeds.
Maybe Rich is still celebrating or he's too embarrassed to admit he didn't play it.

PaceAdvantage
07-30-2013, 12:39 PM
I thought he stated to tune in at 10am PST, which would be 1pm eastern...or in about 20 minutes...

DeltaLover
07-30-2013, 12:52 PM

Usually my largest bet of the day will be on a 15-1 to 20-1 spot if my handicapping lands me to it and the pools can afford it.

The higher the odds the more enthusiastic I become and of course the largest my bet is.

bdownes
07-30-2013, 01:05 PM
Perloff did NOT play the pick 6 ticket.

pandy
07-30-2013, 01:09 PM
These tv analysts are given handicapping assignments by the producer, so it's part of their job. They are not obligated to bet all of these tickets.

thaskalos
07-30-2013, 01:15 PM
I am shocked that TVG is making such an effort to present these wagering tickets to the public...as if they think that their audience is actually playing what their hosts suggest.

I mean...half the time, the TVG hosts are joking around about their depleted TVG accounts. :)

Quagmire
07-30-2013, 01:19 PM
I am shocked that TVG is making such an effort to present these wagering tickets to the public...as if they think that their audience is actually playing what their hosts suggest.

I mean...half the time, the TVG hosts are joking around about their depleted TVG accounts. :)

In some cases they could be doing it so the viewers know who not to play :D

Beachbabe
07-30-2013, 01:22 PM
I thought he stated to tune in at 10am PST, which would be 1pm eastern...or in about 20 minutes...

Yeh, I didn't know that. Rarely watch the racing on tuesdays due to lack of tracks; tok it for granted that the show was hosted somewhere before the first post at Parx.

Light
07-30-2013, 01:31 PM
The main job of TVG handicappers is to encourage the public to bet into their TVG accounts or open one up if they don't have one. They are like a really long infomercial. They are not there for themselves or self glorification of their handicapping skills. They work for the man. Perloff played it right not to say whether he hit it or not. Keep the public guessing and get them to tune in. That's the priority, that's their job.

ManU918
07-30-2013, 02:03 PM
TV personality/given an assignment from your producer or whatever the case is... If your a horse player and you know a pk6 pool on a Monday is going to exceed over a million dollars, then its a must play IMO. If your going to take out the time to handicap the card as Rich did, then just take the $80 and play it. If there was no carryover and he was given the assignment thats one thing but yesterday is a must... Just like tomorrow is a must (Del Mar carryover).

cnollfan
07-30-2013, 02:14 PM

I have a lot of flaws in my game, but this is not one of them. If I like a horse and he's a price, I don't cut back on my bet. If I like him a lot and he's a big price, I press.

rrpic6
07-30-2013, 02:46 PM
TV personality/given an assignment from your producer or whatever the case is... If your a horse player and you know a pk6 pool on a Monday is going to exceed over a million dollars, then its a must play IMO. If your going to take out the time to handicap the card as Rich did, then just take the $80 and play it. If there was no carryover and he was given the assignment thats one thing but yesterday is a must... Just like tomorrow is a must (Del Mar carryover).

SO TRUE! Like him or not, Jon White of HRTV has hit on pick 6 tickets that he's talked about as well as had some near misses, via a DQ, non DQ, etc. A few years ago he hit one at Hawthorne on a cheap ticket, maybe $48. They even talked about someone in the audience that played the same ticket just because Jon said he liked this play. Trust me, this will haunt Perloff forever. I've posted on here quite a few times about a pick 6 ticket I handicapped but did not play on Kentucky Derby Day 2002. I still think about that one at least once a week if not more.

RR

cj
07-30-2013, 02:58 PM
I would think anyone that actually followed Perloff's advice and bet his ticket would be happy Rich didn't also bet it, but maybe that is just me?

PhantomOnTour
07-30-2013, 03:05 PM
I would think anyone that actually followed Perloff's advice and bet his ticket would be happy Rich didn't also bet it, but maybe that is just me?
I wonder if any TVG members bet the "host ticket" as they so often promote.
I am guessing if one of their customers took it down with a bet thru TVG they will get a lot of pub.
Nothing yet

lamboguy
07-30-2013, 03:11 PM
there is a big carryover in Del Mar now, when the iron is hot, it is time to press the shirt!

wiffleball whizz
07-30-2013, 03:20 PM

That's how I look at it.......for the record your 1/9 over any tvg on
Air personality and that's the 2.10 or .05 version and not the 2.20 or .10 version...

Fast story before I go to work.....on the phone with my friend who bets horses for the action of it he's a cop so it's not life and death if he wins I give him my password for timeformus he loves it.....so he goes to the downs at Lehigh valley in north east pa and apparently he can't catch a signal inside with his phone or iPad.....he told me the 4 hours he was there he was hawking timeformus outside in the far reaches of the parking lot to get a signal and going inside to fire and watch the race.......

This post is relevant here because cj the master I'm sure bets what he preaches....

Disclaimer: if you make me money I have zero problems with constantly throwing props in your direction........I'm so far ahead of the game right now in the few plays I put in using this site it will take till week 14 of football of missing for me to be even.......keep up the good work :ThmbUp:

TheEdge07
07-30-2013, 03:28 PM
Did Rich give a reason on why the ticket wasnt played?

Marshall Bennett
07-30-2013, 03:39 PM
And as far as Mr. Perloff and Mr. Caruthers are concerned, I'm certainly not a genius...but I always endeavor to do a more thorough handicapping job than these gentlemen do. I'd be broke if I didn't...
You try handicapping and making tickets for the number of cards they're required to do and see where your ROI goes. You pick and choose your plays, they don't. Try it some day for fun and let us know how it goes.

bks
07-30-2013, 03:48 PM
I have a lot of flaws in my game, but this is not one of them. If I like a horse and he's a price, I don't cut back on my bet. If I like him a lot and he's a big price, I press.

As you should. As I should. As I have done. But also as I have failed to do too often.

olddaddy
07-30-2013, 04:12 PM
I feel for Perloff. I bet these hosts are forced to put out tickets by Tvg. The hosts have to come up with tickets even if they dont like the races. No way anyone is going to bet all the tickets they are forced to make. I guess if I had a job like this, my days of horse betting would be over. It can only be one way or the other, place all bets or all paper bets.

Shelby
07-30-2013, 04:15 PM
I wonder if TVG gives a bonus if they put out winning tickets?

If not, do you think that Rich was hoping with all his might on that last race that he didn't win lol?

olddaddy
07-30-2013, 04:19 PM
Another thing that I just thought, Is Tvg going to advertise that Perloff had a 50K pk6 paper bet?

Light
07-30-2013, 04:53 PM
You try handicapping and making tickets for the number of cards they're required to do and see where your ROI goes. You pick and choose your plays, they don't. Try it some day for fun and let us know how it goes.

Another thing to consider is if any halfway decent handicapper had to make mythical pk6 tickets almost every day as tvg guys do as part of their job, you too will probably hit one in 10 years or so. But would you play them? Hell no. You know how much you'd be down before you hit? You'd be too poor to bet pk6's anymore at least not at $80 a pop for 10 years.

Do the math. Even if you just played 2 pk6's a week @ $80 that is $160 a week. $8000 a year. $80K in 10 years. You'd still be down $27k after hitting a $53K pk6.

usedtolovetvg
07-30-2013, 05:48 PM
Never saw him play more than $18 and that was a big play for him. He is more of a pick 3 guy. Allevato was a big proponent of the p4, p6 tickets. Actually surprised they haven't pulled back since his demise.

PaceAdvantage
07-30-2013, 05:57 PM
Actually surprised they haven't pulled back since his demise.Why? Do you think this kind of thing hurts viewership?

Those that like it won't stop watching, and those that don't like it won't stop watching because of it...it's kind of a no-lose thing...

usedtolovetvg
07-30-2013, 06:03 PM
I always thought that these picks alienated more than they attracted. TVG was the 800 pound gorilla in the early days. It seems to me they have been losing market share since CDI and XB entered the marketplace. Could be many factors but I believe the lack of faith in the on air presentation is one.

Stillriledup
07-30-2013, 06:28 PM
Why? Do you think this kind of thing hurts viewership?

Those that like it won't stop watching, and those that don't like it won't stop watching because of it...it's kind of a no-lose thing...

Here's what i don't get. Pick 6s and Pick 5's and bets like that are some of the toughest bets to hit....and yet, TVG keeps "pimping" out these types of plays to their account holders. Wouldnt it be better for them to not only skip a few races (never skipped one link, see below) but to recommend more "safe" bets? Shouldnt the goal to be to have their account holders churn money by recommending win bets and maybe DDs and Exactas instead of pick 5s and Pick 6s?

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71604&highlight=skip

ronsmac
07-30-2013, 06:32 PM
Here's what i don't get. Pick 6s and Pick 5's and bets like that are some of the toughest bets to hit....and yet, TVG keeps "pimping" out these types of plays to their account holders. Wouldnt it be better for them to not only skip a few races (never skipped one link, see below) but to recommend more "safe" bets? Shouldnt the goal to be to have their account holders churn money by recommending win bets and maybe DDs and Exactas instead of pick 5s and Pick 6s?

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71604&highlight=skip long term I think you're correct, but I think they're looking for that short term fix. in general those bets up higher take out, other than the pic 5 of course. I think they're trying to get the biggest piece now, and worry about the future later, unfortunately.

johnhannibalsmith
07-30-2013, 06:38 PM

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71604&highlight=skip

I've never seen a six page thread because "Certainly" Simon gave out a winning double or exacta. I think that reality probably factors into the rationale, whether it ultimately makes sense or not.

Stillriledup
07-30-2013, 06:42 PM
long term I think you're correct, but I think they're looking for that short term fix. in general those bets up higher take out, other than the pic 5 of course. I think they're trying to get the biggest piece now, and worry about the future later, unfortunately.

No doubt. TVG has never been accused of saving anything for a rainy day. Maybe they have an unlimited supply of customers who could torch up money on these recommended plays and just keep replenishing.

rrpic6
07-30-2013, 06:56 PM
It would be fun to see Simon or Todd start a "show" parlay. They can afford the two bucks a day. Proof would be necessary of course.

RR

tanner12oz
07-30-2013, 07:56 PM
I hit a pick 5 for 850 using one of perloffs tickets as a template...added some horses and dumped some horses but basically played off it...his ticket lost but cashed mine by singling where he went 3 deep and going 3 deep where he singled...i like seeing the tickets posted but would never simply copy them..feel like even if the posted tickets do cash the prices would be depressed anyway by people tailing them...gotta tweak them to fit for style and roll

pandy
07-30-2013, 08:44 PM
That's why they post the tickets and also why they have Pick 6 central. They're not telling you to bet their ticket, they're giving you a breakdown of the contenders in each race plus a few longshots that they think have a chance. You can use some of their horses or not.

Steve Crist does blogs where he shows how he's constructing his Pick 6 ticket. I'm sure plenty of people are interested in what he has to say because he is a good Pick 6 player. But I don't think he expects people to play his exact ticket.

ManU918
07-30-2013, 08:50 PM
That's why they post the tickets and also why they have Pick 6 central. They're not telling you to bet their ticket, they're giving you a breakdown of the contenders in each race plus a few longshots that they think have a chance. You can use some of their horses or not.

Steve Crist does blogs where he shows how he's constructing his Pick 6 ticket. I'm sure plenty of people are interested in what he has to say because he is a good Pick 6 player. But I don't think he expects people to play his exact ticket.

Yes but there is a big difference between the two.... Steve Crist actually plays his tickets.

pandy
07-30-2013, 09:15 PM
Yes but there is a big difference between the two.... Steve Crist actually plays his tickets.

That is true.

wiffleball whizz
07-31-2013, 01:17 AM
That is true.

Just realized who you are......your one of the best writers in the game...been reading articles you write for a long time!!!!!

pandy
07-31-2013, 06:43 AM
Thank you very much.

KingChas
07-31-2013, 09:34 AM
Thought I had heard previously on TVG that the tickets picked by hosts were actually bet into the system by (TVG/itself?). That when hit it went into some type of office like pool for the employees.

Why do the hosts have betting limits on these P-6...etc., tickets if this is not true. :confused:

Sure hope Rich P gets a bonus.

KingChas
07-31-2013, 10:46 AM
Alas, after some research, I must be wrong I found this from 2008.
http://www.bloodhorse.com/talkinhorses/TS071008.asp

Carlsbad, CA:
Seems like on TVG announcers are really rooting for the tickets they give out on air. Do announcers play these tickets with their own money? Or does the network a pay for the tickets?

Schrupp:

I would be so far ahead of this game if TVG put up the money for our tickets, but they don't. Also, I probably would do a lot better if I limited myself to $50 the way TVG limits our on-air tickets. Yes, I play, and most of us play.

If I play a ticket bigger than my on-air ticket, and this goes for anyone else at TVG, you can be assured all of the combinations on that smaller on-air ticket are included. And it should noted, none of us can play all of our tickets. There are many days where a winning ticket is given out, but the person who put it together didn't play it themselves. Regardless, my colleagues and I are just as excited, because we are nothing without the TVG audience and account holders, if they win, we win.

ronsmac
07-31-2013, 11:54 AM
No doubt. TVG has never been accused of saving anything for a rainy day. Maybe they have an unlimited supply of customers who could torch up money on these recommended plays and just keep replenishing.
I agree with you 100%, I always thought they should give out the exacta or doublws, if nothing else they would hit more often and be able to brag on air.

bks
07-31-2013, 01:48 PM
Another thing to consider is if any halfway decent handicapper had to make mythical pk6 tickets almost every day as tvg guys do as part of their job, you too will probably hit one in 10 years or so. But would you play them? Hell no. You know how much you'd be down before you hit? You'd be too poor to bet pk6's anymore at least not at $80 a pop for 10 years.

Do the math. Even if you just played 2 pk6's a week @ $80 that is $160 a week. $8000 a year. $80K in 10 years. You'd still be down $27k after hitting a $53K pk6.

You're forgetting the consolation payouts. That makes it a much better proposition.

5k-claim
07-31-2013, 09:16 PM
As I said earlier...handicapping gets a lot easier when there is no betting involved. It might be just me...but I'm not too impressed by sharp handicapping, unless it's accompanied by actual betting. So people in the market for expert selections should actively seek out handicappers who do not actually bet, because those handicappers have an easier time putting together a winning ticket?

It might be just me...but I'm not too impressed by sharp handicapping, unless it's accompanied by actual betting. Is there a minimum bet amount that moves the handicapping from the "Not Impressive" column into the "Impressive" column? Would a guy who has tons of money to burn have to bet more than someone who doesn't in order to be impressive?

Stillriledup
07-31-2013, 09:39 PM
So people in the market for expert selections should actively seek out handicappers who do not actually bet, because those handicappers have an easier time putting together a winning ticket?

Is there a minimum bet amount that moves the handicapping from the "Not Impressive" column into the "Impressive" column? Would a guy who has tons of money to burn have to bet more than someone who doesn't in order to be impressive?

he doesnt mean its easier to pick winners if you dont bet, what he means (and i'm guessing here) is that if you're not betting, you can pick anything you want and it doesnt matter, in other words, its easier. Also, another part of what he's saying is that if you're not actually betting, you can throw in longshots without worrying about spending actual money on those picks. Perloff had two winners that paid close to 20 bucks, but if he was betting his ticket, if he was betting his actual money, who's to say that he would have included "bombs" while throwing out shorter priced horses in their stead?

Rich is getting credit for "selecting" the pick 6, but because he didnt bet it, we will never know if he might have altered his ticket in some way if actual money was involved.

Also, if Rich is not normally an 80 dollar per race bettor, or he's not normally betting 80 bucks on a pick 6, than he's getting credit he doesnt really deserve.

If i came on here and structured a 20k pick 6 ticket and it won and showed a nice profit, do i deserve credit for "releasing" the winner? No. Now, Rich didnt spend 20k obviously, but he spent money he doesnt normally bet, just on a smaller scale as my example. So, in that way, he sort of needs to have actually made the score to get credit......but, that doesnt seem to be the case, the industry is heaping credit on him anyway.

cj
07-31-2013, 09:46 PM
he doesnt mean its easier to pick winners if you dont bet, what he means (and i'm guessing here) is that if you're not betting, you can pick anything you want and it doesnt matter, in other words, its easier. Also, another part of what he's saying is that if you're not actually betting, you can throw in longshots without worrying about spending actual money on those picks. Perloff had two winners that paid close to 20 bucks, but if he was betting his ticket, if he was betting his actual money, who's to say that he would have included "bombs" while throwing out shorter priced horses in their stead?

Well, if you are betting real money on a P6 and throwing out bombs (9 to 1 is hardly a bomb IMO) and keeping shorter prices, you shouldn't be betting anyway.

SandyW
07-31-2013, 09:57 PM
he doesnt mean its easier to pick winners if you don't bet, what he means (and i'm guessing here) is that if you're not betting, you can pick anything you want and it doesnt matter, in other words, its easier. Also, another part of what he's saying is that if you're not actually betting, you can throw in longshots without worrying about spending actual money on those picks. Perloff had two winners that paid close to 20 bucks, but if he was betting his ticket, if he was betting his actual money, who's to say that he would have included "bombs" while throwing out shorter priced horses in their stead?

Rich is getting credit for "selecting" the pick 6, but because he didn't bet it, we will never know if he might have altered his ticket in some way if actual money was involved.

Also, if Rich is not normally an 80 dollar per race bettor, or he's not normally betting 80 bucks on a pick 6, than he's getting credit he doesnt really deserve.

If i came on here and structured a 20k pick 6 ticket and it won and showed a nice profit, do i deserve credit for "releasing" the winner? No. Now, Rich didn't spend 20k obviously, but he spent money he doesn't normally bet, just on a smaller scale as my example. So, in that way, he sort of needs to have actually made the score to get credit......but, that doesn't seem to be the case, the industry is heaping credit on him anyway.

You are exactly right, I make up a lot of tickets that I don't bet and throw in all sorts of horses, but the ticket is above what I normally bet. So should I take credit when a ticket hits that I didn't bet?
It is so, so, easy when you don't put up the cash.

5k-claim
07-31-2013, 09:57 PM

Rich is getting credit for "selecting" the pick 6, but because he didnt bet it, we will never know if he might have altered his ticket in some way if actual money was involved.

If i came on here and structured a 20k pick 6 ticket and it won and showed a nice profit, do i deserve credit for "releasing" the winner? No. Now, Rich didnt spend 20k obviously, but he spent money he doesnt normally bet, just on a smaller scale as my example. So, in that way, he sort of needs to have actually made the score to get credit......but, that doesnt seem to be the case, the industry is heaping credit on him anyway. So... who is more likely to put together a winning $80 ticket:

(a) a handicapper who bets on his selections
(b) a handicapper who does not bet on his selections

As a potential consumer of expert selections, isn't this a question I should be asking?

Stillriledup
07-31-2013, 10:05 PM
So... who is more likely to put together a winning $80 ticket:

(a) a handicapper who bets on his selections
(b) a handicapper who does not bet on his selections

As a potential consumer of expert selections, isn't this a question I should be asking?

I would say that with all things being equal, the player who does bet might be more likely to put up a winning chalk ticket and the person who doesnt bet might be more likely to put up a longer priced ticket since he doesnt actually have to invest real cash in horses who are really unlikely to win.

But, i would imagine in the short term, there's really not much of a difference.

5k-claim
07-31-2013, 10:10 PM
I would say that with all things being equal, the player who does bet might be more likely to put up a winning chalk ticket and the person who doesnt bet might be more likely to put up a longer priced ticket since he doesnt actually have to invest real cash in horses who are really unlikely to win.

But, i would imagine in the short term, there's really not much of a difference. Then why not give Perloff the credit?

feelup1963
07-31-2013, 10:42 PM
THE QUESTION IS DID HE PLAY WHAT THEY ARE TOUTING.IT IS EASY TO PLACE A MYTHICAL TICKET/BET.TOUTS WILL BE TOUTS!!!. I CAN TIP/TOUT A 99/1 OUTSIDER,BUT BETTING WITH MY MONEY IS ANOTHER THING.NOT UNTIL THESE GUYS PUT UP REAL TICKETS THAT THEY BET,THEN ISSUE THEM CREDIT.

5k-claim
07-31-2013, 10:58 PM
THE QUESTION IS DID HE PLAY WHAT THEY ARE TOUTING.IT IS EASY TO PLACE A MYTHICAL TICKET/BET.TOUTS WILL BE TOUTS!!!. I CAN TIP/TOUT A 99/1 OUTSIDER,BUT BETTING WITH MY MONEY IS ANOTHER THING.NOT UNTIL THESE GUYS PUT UP REAL TICKETS THAT THEY BET,THEN ISSUE THEM CREDIT. THEN FEEL FREE TO PUT UP A MYTHICAL $80 TICKET THAT HITS THE PICK 6. YOU GET 1 MYTHICAL TICKET PER DAY. THANK YOU.

pandy
07-31-2013, 11:02 PM

But, i would imagine in the short term, there's really not much of a difference.

This debate all depends on the individual. For instance, some handicappers will actually do better (on paper) if they don't bet the picks. Why? Because psychologically if they know they are going to bet they may subconsciously pick horses that are too predictive. In other words, they take too conservative of an approach.

The Wizard told me once that his picks did better when he wasn't betting. However, some years later he did start to bet because he realized that he could win money and supplement his income.

I personally bet all of my Best Bets unless the odds are much shorter than I want, but the bottom line is, it doesn't matter if a public handicapper bets or nots. Either his picks are good or they aren't.

I know some of you think that Andy Serling does a good job with his NYRA picks and analysis. I think he does. Like most of us in the business who offer picks for every race, I doubt he bets every horse. But whether he bets or not or how much he bets is is completely inconsequential to anyone who checks his picks or video analysis. Either you think he's doing a good job or you don't. Either he has a good day or he doesn't. Either he's on a hot streak or he isn't.

pandy
07-31-2013, 11:13 PM
THE QUESTION IS DID HE PLAY WHAT THEY ARE TOUTING.IT IS EASY TO PLACE A MYTHICAL TICKET/BET.TOUTS WILL BE TOUTS!!!. I CAN TIP/TOUT A 99/1 OUTSIDER,BUT BETTING WITH MY MONEY IS ANOTHER THING.NOT UNTIL THESE GUYS PUT UP REAL TICKETS THAT THEY BET,THEN ISSUE THEM CREDIT.

As a longtime professional handicapper, I can give you some insight. First of all, Perloff wasn't hired by TVG so he can be a professional gambler who just happens to work for TVG. He is an analyst and his job is to give his insight into each race. It would actually be pretty odd if a channel like TVG did not have analysts.

But let me tell you a scenario that has happened to me many times, and I've done TV analyst work,too. Let's use my Meadowlands picks that are on www.ustrotting.com, free to the public. I've been doing these picks for 17 years. During that time I have picked certain longshot exotics that paid huge that I did not have. Why? Because I didn't bet it the right way. For instance, say I picked a horse that paid $25 to win and my third and fourth ranked horses completed a trifecta that paid $1,000. But I bet the horse to win and boxed my top two picks in the exacta, so I just won the win bet.

The next day I get several emails from happy people who say, "Hey, Pandy, thanks for the $1,000 trifecta, I keyed that $25 winners over the others. Did you have it?"

Now, since I didn't play it the right way, for whatever reason, does that make it a bad pick? Well, I can tell you from many years of experience, to the people who hit it, they are thrilled beyond your imagination and I think that means that I did a pretty good job.

feelup1963
07-31-2013, 11:41 PM
I GIVE YOU A LOT OF RESPECT BECAUSE I AM NOT A HARNESS PLAYER,BEING WEB SURFER I CAME ACROSS YOUR ARTICLE,YOU ARE ONE OF THE BEST .I USE YOUR ARTICLE TO COMPARE AND CONTRAST THE M/L MAKER.YOU ARE TURNING ME INTO A HARNESS RACING FAN/PLAYER.THANK U KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. :ThmbUp:

feelup1963
07-31-2013, 11:53 PM
JOHN LIES -$160.00
3RD:2
4TH:2-4-7-10
5TH:4-5-9-2
6TH:8
7TH:6-9-2-8-1
8TH:8
MIKE JOYCE-$90.00
3RD:5
4TH:1-9-10
5TH:2-4-5-9-10
6TH:3
7TH:1-3-6
8TH:8

Stillriledup
08-01-2013, 12:36 AM
This debate all depends on the individual. For instance, some handicappers will actually do better (on paper) if they don't bet the picks. Why? Because psychologically if they know they are going to bet they may subconsciously pick horses that are too predictive. In other words, they take too conservative of an approach.

The Wizard told me once that his picks did better when he wasn't betting. However, some years later he did start to bet because he realized that he could win money and supplement his income.

I personally bet all of my Best Bets unless the odds are much shorter than I want, but the bottom line is, it doesn't matter if a public handicapper bets or nots. Either his picks are good or they aren't.

I know some of you think that Andy Serling does a good job with his NYRA picks and analysis. I think he does. Like most of us in the business who offer picks for every race, I doubt he bets every horse. But whether he bets or not or how much he bets is is completely inconsequential to anyone who checks his picks or video analysis. Either you think he's doing a good job or you don't. Either he has a good day or he doesn't. Either he's on a hot streak or he isn't.

Some great points here.

To touch on your points in post 113, i think there's a difference between betting your picks wrong and losing because of "bad betting" and not betting because you're giving out a sequence that you can't afford to play in real life.

If Rich Perloff consistently wagers on Pick 6 tickets in real life that are 80 dollars or higher, than he gets credit from me as he picked the pick 6, but just didnt happen to have this particular one. If he didnt bet because he doesnt normally invest 80 dollars into the pick6, than i dont think he should get nearly as much credit.

Stillriledup
08-01-2013, 12:38 AM
Then why not give Perloff the credit?

I'll give him credit if he's normally a player who invests his own money into the pick 6 and 80 dollars isnt much of an investment for him and what he normally bets. If he doesnt wager on Pick 6s with his own money and or 80 dollars is way beyond his budget for any particular wager, i dont want to give him credit for hitting that bet. I'll give him credit for some excellent handicapping, but that's as far as we should go.

pandy
08-01-2013, 08:12 AM
I GIVE YOU A LOT OF RESPECT BECAUSE I AM NOT A HARNESS PLAYER,BEING WEB SURFER I CAME ACROSS YOUR ARTICLE,YOU ARE ONE OF THE BEST .I USE YOUR ARTICLE TO COMPARE AND CONTRAST THE M/L MAKER.YOU ARE TURNING ME INTO A HARNESS RACING FAN/PLAYER.THANK U KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. :ThmbUp:

Thank you. That's part of my job, to help market the sport.

Hajck Hillstrom
08-02-2013, 12:50 AM
Did Rich give a reason on why the ticket wasnt played?

No, but he did respond with this to me a few minutes after the Pik6 sequence was completed.

"Strangely enough...I'm actually a little apprehensive about the blowback I'll get for NOT having played the ticket when I "out" myself from the Handicapsule tomorrow.

Still...I like to think I'm consistent. When people ask me "Do you play your tickets?" I always respond: "Some I do...and some I don't. And I'm NEVER going to tell you which are which."

If people really think that I take my on-air prognostications LESS seriously when my money isn't on the line...I'd like to offer today's results as evidence to the contrary."

Fair play from where I sit......

Stillriledup
08-02-2013, 04:03 AM
No, but he did respond with this to me a few minutes after the Pik6 sequence was completed.

"Strangely enough...I'm actually a little apprehensive about the blowback I'll get for NOT having played the ticket when I "out" myself from the Handicapsule tomorrow.

Still...I like to think I'm consistent. When people ask me "Do you play your tickets?" I always respond: "Some I do...and some I don't. And I'm NEVER going to tell you which are which."

If people really think that I take my on-air prognostications LESS seriously when my money isn't on the line...I'd like to offer today's results as evidence to the contrary."

Fair play from where I sit......

I dont think he's taking it less seriously, that's not the issue. His job depends on ....well, sort of knowing something about racing and by releasing winners, that accomplishes that for him.

The issue is being able to "get credit" for 80 dollar tickets on Pick 6s when he might not risk 80 dollars on this type of play in real life. Now, like i said earlier, if Richard is a bettor who quite often will toss 80 bucks or more into a pick 6 or a pick 5 part wheel, than i will give him full credit even if he didnt wager on this particular winning Pick 6.

PhantomOnTour
08-02-2013, 08:05 PM
On HRTV's The Edge, announcer Brad Free made a point of saying that he always plays the tickets he shows on air with real money.

judd
08-02-2013, 09:17 PM
how much do you think they get paid by tvg

ManU918
08-02-2013, 09:26 PM
how much do you think they get paid by tvg

On air personnel? Not nearly as much as you think.

RunForTheRoses
08-03-2013, 08:51 AM
On air personnel? Not nearly as much as you think.

That's what I think too, not a real lucrative job where they have the bucks to shove through the windows on high risk tickets.

Stillriledup
08-03-2013, 02:34 PM
That's what I think too, not a real lucrative job where they have the bucks to shove through the windows on high risk tickets.

But if theyre so good, should they be supplementing their income with racetrack profits? 80 bucks into a pick 6 should be affordable to a high level horseplayer like RP.

thaskalos
08-03-2013, 02:52 PM
But if theyre so good, should they be supplementing their income with racetrack profits? 80 bucks into a pick 6 should be affordable to a high level horseplayer like RP.
IMO...it isn't prudent to make $80 wagers when you know that you are a losing player...whether you can afford them or not.

I don't fault these guys for not betting on their own picks; they know that they are losing players...so they are naturally reluctant to bet more than a few bucks on their selections. That's perfectly understandable.

But why recommend your losing picks to others?

Isn't it better to just supply the analysis...and let your audience create their own betting tickets?

castaway01
08-03-2013, 03:20 PM
IMO...it isn't prudent to make $80 wagers when you know that you are a losing player...whether you can afford them or not.

I don't fault these guys for not betting on their own picks; they know that they are losing players...so they are naturally reluctant to bet more than a few bucks on their selections. That's perfectly understandable.

Isn't it better to just supply the analysis...and let your audience create their own betting tickets?

Well, even a winning player might become a losing player if he was forced to bet Pick 6s with a maximum of $128 and in a format where you have to make the whole bet on one ticket. If the TVG handicappers had freedom in the bets they could recommend, then it might make sense for them to play them, but as it is it would be like getting in a fist fight with both hands tied behind their backs.

Stillriledup
08-03-2013, 03:50 PM

So wait, the TVG talking heads are not winning long run players?

Stillriledup
08-03-2013, 03:51 PM
Well, even a winning player might become a losing player if he was forced to bet Pick 6s with a maximum of $128 and in a format where you have to make the whole bet on one ticket. If the TVG handicappers had freedom in the bets they could recommend, then it might make sense for them to play them, but as it is it would be like getting in a fist fight with both hands tied behind their backs.

This is a really good point and never gets talked about, but TVG guys always release "caveman" tickets, they never say "lets invest 80, but we're going to do it in 5 seperate tickets and here they are".

They also don't spend more than the base amount....they'll spend 40, but it will be 80 combinations at 50Cents each, rather than a 10 dollar part wheel 2 by 2 by 1 by 1 (for example).

thaskalos
08-03-2013, 04:07 PM
So wait, the TVG talking heads are not winning long run players?
I don't know...all I see is them joking around about their depleted wagering accounts.

Stillriledup
08-03-2013, 06:43 PM
I don't know...all I see is them joking around about their depleted wagering accounts.

Maybe they're just being humble and don't want to rub salt into the open wound of their customers?

Stillriledup
05-02-2014, 03:41 PM
Tough start today for Rich, he didnt know the name of a jockey who's been riding regularly at SA and didnt know who won, after he watched the race. 2 glaring mistakes, yet, here he is giving out pick 6 winning tickets.

How hard can racing be if a guy like this is hitting the pick 6!?? :D

judd
05-03-2014, 08:40 AM
Perloff did NOT play the pick 6 ticket.. I don't think any of these tv guys play their picks jones etc

pandy
05-03-2014, 08:48 AM
That's not true. Gino, for one, sounds like a pretty big gambler, and so does Dave Weaver. They all bet. I doubt they bet all of their TV tickets, but they bet.

wiffleball whizz
05-03-2014, 08:50 AM
Gino is the man......anybody that likes action is aces in my book

tanner12oz
05-03-2014, 03:32 PM
Gino is one of us

Stillriledup
08-01-2014, 05:57 PM
Pick 6 winner on air today for the Spa from Rich?

Paid 1800.

Tara73
08-01-2014, 06:41 PM
Gino is an annoying Eddie Munster look alike!

Stillriledup
08-01-2014, 10:19 PM
Gino is an annoying Eddie Munster look alike!

Gino used to be fine, but a certain veteran host has rubbed off on him and he's turned into a circus clown just like that that host....but i won't mention any names. :D