PDA

View Full Version : Chris Christie on Libertarians and Spying

highnote
07-26-2013, 04:27 PM
"You can name any number of people who have engaged in [those debates], and he's one of them ...," said Christie. "I want them to come to New Jersey and sit across from the widows and orphans and have that conversation. And they won't, 'cause that's a much tougher conversation to have."

Christie is politically leveraging widows and orphans of 9/11 or the Boston bombings to justify spying. Personally, I think he is making a mistake.

I have not seen, read or heard anything that suggests that spying on Americans would have stopped 9/11 or the Boston bombers.

I agree with Rand Paul that a warrant should be issued before an American is spied upon and only when a particular American is under suspicion. To collect records on every American is wrong and is subject to abuse.

Clocker
07-26-2013, 05:11 PM
I have not seen, read or heard anything that suggests that spying on Americans would have stopped 9/11 or the Boston bombers.

And despite claims of great accomplishments, the NSA has provided no proof that what they are doing has accomplished anything. The NSA is just an electronic version of the TSA, and no more effective. Lacking any actionable intelligence, they electronically grope everyone and thus capture no one. But neither the NSA nor the TSA can target or profile, because that would be politically incorrect.

And note that the Boston bombers were identified by private security cameras, not through any government surveillance.

tucker6
07-26-2013, 05:20 PM
another politician using the spector of 9/11 to shut people up. That's just as bad the act of spying itself. I'd have no problem in sitting across the table from a widow and telling her that spying on Americans as the NSA is doing is a victory for the terrorists, and that their deaths would be hollow indeed if we turn on each other and lessen our freedoms.I'm a republican, but Christie should be ashamed of himself for stooping to that level. I lost some respect for him with that quote of his.

JustRalph
07-26-2013, 05:25 PM
Rubio and Christie flailing and falling in the polls on the right side of the spectrum.......

johnhannibalsmith
07-26-2013, 05:28 PM
Yeah, I can hear both sides of the debate and deal with it regardless of my specific opinion, but I detest that tactic of trying to shut up the debate altogether. It's lowbrow and boring.

Tom
07-26-2013, 11:55 PM

The Russians TOLD us about the Boston bombers and we did NOTHING.
Spy on this, you rat-bastard, Christie.....buzz words don't cut it, you lib.

Stillriledup
07-27-2013, 01:44 AM
Another "tough conversation to have" is to talk to the families of victims of attacks from people who 'went nuts' because they felt that big brother was suffocating them and they started hearing voices in their heads (calling Gloria).

It works both ways Fatso.

newtothegame
07-27-2013, 01:47 AM
Christie has succombed to the chicago political machine versus an understanding of what is right for the country. Prior to Hurricane sandy, the guy was looking like he could be a contender on the ticket.....
Now, after a few photo ops with his buddy Obama, well a lost cause to say the least.......