PDA

View Full Version : Corfu

andtheyreoff
07-25-2013, 09:54 AM
Race 2 at Saratoga today, a horse named Corfu makes his debut in a 2yo maiden race. He was a $675,000 purchase earlier this year, and has thrown down 2 huge workouts at Saratoga, including 4F in :47 on July 19 most recently.

The morning line? 3/5. The pressure is on for this guy.

FantasticDan
07-25-2013, 10:35 AM
I was considering starting a thread for him too :cool:

Interesting to watch what he brings today..

PVDOZ
07-25-2013, 11:38 AM
Another Todd 2 year old at Saratoga..looks like he'll win for fun. The key is,where will he be,and what will he be next March.

DeltaLover
07-25-2013, 11:49 AM
A royally bred horse, nicking APIndy with Storm Cat families, having the potential to become a star of his generation.

From a betting perspective, What is more interesting about him is the possibility of loosing rather than winning. The crowd seems to be overly enthusiastic about this type of runners, usually creating large overlays among their rivals. He might win today, but my approach will be to bet against him seeking a large payday or just losing a few betting units...

Robert Goren
07-25-2013, 12:54 PM
It is a 2 yo 5f race. Derby bred horses are not running in 5f races in July as 2 yo s

OTM Al
07-25-2013, 12:59 PM
Not sure this is a good time to try to go against. Only 6 in the field cuts down on prices anyway. The one I considered when looking at this was the 6 but figured there was a fair chance he was in just for the experience and may be destined for turf, so that made me stay away. Only thing that stands against Corfu here is breaking from the rail position as a firster, but with such a small field, it may not matter. Pletcher also has another starter in here, so if you are bound to go against, he might be the right one.

Striker
07-25-2013, 01:05 PM
It is a 2 yo 5f race. Derby bred horses are not running in 5f races in July as 2 yo s
Palace Malice??

andtheyreoff
07-25-2013, 01:43 PM
Palace Malice??

Debuted on August 4.

Stillriledup
07-25-2013, 01:47 PM
I was considering starting a thread for him too :cool:

Interesting to watch what he brings today..

The moment i bet against him, a win was in the cards.

maclr11
07-25-2013, 01:49 PM
What about the other Pletcher baby today in the fourth
Our Amazing Rose, named after Mike Repole's Grandmother
Worked in 9 4/5 at the sale, 3/5 on the morning line and some good morning works.
Looks like another easy winner.

DeltaLover
07-25-2013, 01:54 PM
Worked in 9 4/5 at the sale, 3/5 on the morning line and some good morning works.

You cannot make money betting this horses... Do not bother with Rose, even if she looks like an easy winner....

Striker
07-25-2013, 01:55 PM
Debuted on August 4.
You might want to investigate a little more on that debut date for PM.

Stillriledup
07-25-2013, 02:21 PM

The people who make practice of betting hard against Pletcher when he's 1-5 are doing better than the ones who just assume its 'easy money' and try and get that free 40 cents.

maclr11
07-25-2013, 02:46 PM
You can make money betting any kind of horses, just about picking the right ones and spots
She's a key in the pick 4 and pick 6 though and it doesn't really hurt anything as it maintains your position.
So for players like that it works.
Find a price in latter races.

iceknight
07-25-2013, 03:14 PM
Looks like another easy winner. What about her? Make sure that Corfu does not get near her in the barn.. Otherwise we will have two speedsters breeding :lol: :lol:

maclr11
07-25-2013, 03:18 PM
She was much more impressive than Corfu and she ran faster
Corfu headed to sapling or hopeful
I bet she's headed to a stake as well

iceknight
07-25-2013, 03:31 PM
I bet she's headed to a stake as well True, she ran great

VeryOldMan
07-25-2013, 03:50 PM
I bet she's headed to a stake as well

Came on here to see if anyone else was talking about Our Amazing Rose. That was impressive.

DeltaLover
07-25-2013, 03:50 PM
You can make money betting any kind of horses, just about picking the right ones and spots
She's a key in the pick 4 and pick 6 though and it doesn't really hurt anything as it maintains your position.
So for players like that it works.
Find a price in latter races.

I disagree.

In mutual games it is impossible to make money betting obvious choices.

The more visible a horse is the smaller the probability to represent an overlay.

Even in a pick 6 or pick 10 or pick whatever, a horse shows no value if it used from almost all the bettors.

maclr11
07-25-2013, 04:09 PM
Maybe from a win betting perspective, but if I have legitimate opinions later in the card singling an obvious horse does not hurt me and it keeps me alive.
Steven Crist even made this point in one of his books. In a Pick 6 wager having singling a winning favorite might even improve your position slightly since some people will spread out. Especially since singling keeps cost down on your ticket. The advantage of being able to spend more money later because you didn't try to beat the obvious horse can be quite valuable.
If two thirty dollar horses win later in the pick six sequence and I have them both with the favorite, it will still pay handsomely.

iceknight
01-30-2014, 05:19 PM
Another Todd 2 year old at Saratoga..looks like he'll win for fun. The key is,where will he be,and what will he be next March. Haha, you predicted too far! It is not Feb yet and you can borrow him to cover your mares (if you want, at 3500)
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/83118/saratoga-special-winner-corfu-retired?source=rss

Pretty sure he will produce strong, hardy horses that will run for 5 years and win millions.