PDA

View Full Version : Installing MS Word question

andicap
07-25-2013, 08:13 AM
I have a legal product key for Microsoft Word (I actually bought it a couple of years ago.). How do I install the software on a laptop?

Longshot6977
07-25-2013, 09:29 AM
Not sure it is any different than on a desktop PC. Install the CD and follow the on screen prompts. That's what I did once with no issues.

A few questions though to clarify things:
1. I assume it's a CD, so has the CD ever been installed on a previous PC/laptop?
2. Is it just Word? or MS Office suite?
2. Did you buy an OEM Retail CD? Or you downloaded Word/Office, then bought a key afterwards?
3. Have you tried to install Word/Office yet on the laptop? What happened?

andicap
07-25-2013, 12:16 PM
Just Word.

I don't have a CD drive on my new laptop although I originally bought it as a legal MS CD. Previously I just slipped the disc into the drive and entered the key. I've been using Open Office for a while but it just doesn't cut it compared to Word.

Thanks

iceknight
07-25-2013, 01:09 PM
Just Word.

I don't have a CD drive on my new laptop although I originally bought it as a legal MS CD. Previously I just slipped the disc into the drive and entered the key. I've been using Open Office for a while but it just doesn't cut it compared to Word.

Thanks
These are my thoughts.. not really advice..
JUMP to bottom

You will have to try and locate if any friend of yours or coworker has an external CD drive.. that is the simplest way to do this.

Theoretically to mee the EULA, you would have to have it uninstalled from your old laptop or computer or that machine should not be in use/using word and be connected to internet - I think this is how microsoft checks activation keys.

OR.. what you can do is locate the version of MS Word that you have and then see if the Microsoft Store lets you download that version..

You will need to also know your laptop's operating system version. I think Word 2010 or Word 2007 may work on most Windows..but may be not on the new Windows 8 -- but I am not sure about this comment.

Word 2013 (their newest which they will try to sell you works only on Windows 8).

Their Live chat helped and they gave me a Download link for the 2010 Word
[COLOR=Red]
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/download-backup-restore-microsoft-office-products-FX103427465.aspx

Read the whole page

your search query on Office.microsoft.com should be
My copy of Office did not come with a disk

Or I believe this is the direct download link
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/redir/XT103433701.aspx

I am "guessing" (at 2-1 odds) You can choose to install only word when you go through the office installation procedure.

jerry-g
07-25-2013, 02:13 PM
Find your product key. Here is some info and a link to about com for how
to do it.

Nearly all Microsoft programs require a product key as part of the installation process, including the Microsoft Office programs. If you've lost your Microsoft Office product key, you'll need to find it before you can reinstall the software suite.

Microsoft Office product keys are encrypted inside the Windows Registry so finding them manually is nearly impossible. The tutorials below will help you find your Microsoft Office product key so you can successfully reinstall the program.

How To Find Product Key (http://pcsupport.about.com/od/productkeysactivation/tp/office-product-keys.htm)

jerry-g
07-25-2013, 04:13 PM
I'm sad to report that the guy on About Com lies about the free programs
to find product keys do not contain spywares. I just finished blowing away
27 spies found by Spybot. They took over my homepage and installed a
toolbar in spite of me clicking on Decline. They're low life bastards. It was
the Jelly Bean software. It seems we can't be too careful in choosing a
freeware program these days. Sorry, and please pardon me. That's the
way it is this Thursday July 25th in the year 2013.

JustRalph
07-26-2013, 12:38 AM
depending on the version of Word.........mind you.

You can create a folder on the desktop of another computer/copy all the files off the install cd into that folder. copy that folder to a USB thumb drive, install on the laptop from the thumb drive. Some versions work fine that way.

You can also share a cd drive on a network. if you have a networked pc desktop etc.......go into my computer and right click on the cd drive and choose share......this shares the drive across the network. you can then browse the network and install from the desktop computers cd drive

You can also download the trial version of Word
You can do likewise with Microsoft Office: just download the trial version that matches the version you already own, then activate it using your product key. (This gets a little trickier with older versions of Office, as Microsoft currently offers only the 2010 edition for download. depending on your version/cd key.....may or may not work.