PDA

View Full Version : What would you improve about HRTV?

letswastemoney
07-22-2013, 03:30 PM
Hello. I may have a job interview with them in a couple of days, and I was watching their online stream and thinking of how it could be better.

The only thing I could think of right now, sometimes posting odds from other tracks other than the one being shown can get confusing.

Any ideas for how their coverage or website could get better?

Stillriledup
07-22-2013, 03:36 PM
Get them on directv so i can actually see it.

PaceAdvantage
07-22-2013, 05:24 PM
Get them on Cablevision so I can see them...

OTM Al
07-22-2013, 05:41 PM
Get them on Cablevision so I can see them...

Second.

Fingal
07-22-2013, 05:47 PM
Since for me HRTV has unfortunately ceased to exist until SA comes back, I can't say exactly what they currently do or do not.

But in general- On post parades, when the #1 is on the screen, talk about the #1. Then when the #2 comes on camera, stop the talk on the #1 & go to #2 & so on. There's how many minutes after the post parade for further discussion of a particular runner? If I was an owner, I'd find it rude & an insult that my horse wasn't acknowledged in the post parade because someone felt it was more important to keep talking about the horse before it.

PaceAdvantage
07-22-2013, 05:50 PM
Second.I really can't understand why they aren't on there. I have to pay extra for TVG, so what is stopping them? Just throw them in the Sports Package tier that they charge an extra $5 a month for...it's not like Cablevision would be losing money on the deal...this is a MAJOR cable market...I can only assume HRTV would somehow be losing money on the deal, and that's why it hasn't happened yet...

Stillriledup
07-22-2013, 05:55 PM
Hello. I may have a job interview with them in a couple of days, and I was watching their online stream and thinking of how it could be better.

The only thing I could think of right now, sometimes posting odds from other tracks other than the one being shown can get confusing.

Defer to "bigger races" TVG will show the live post parade of a 2,500 claimer when Meadowlands Harness is running a million dollar race, they'll put the big race on the back burner while you enjoy a post parade of horses that arent worth 3 cents.

proximity
07-22-2013, 05:55 PM
i never looked at their website, but this channel is just strange. they'll be showing some night tracks and then just stop the coverage at 9:00 or something and put on some show about kids riding horses through the woods or a show about the 1963 triple crown races......WHEN THERE'S STILL RACING GOING ON.

next thing they'll be cutting off races at the quarter pole and going to heidi reruns. :D

PaceAdvantage
07-22-2013, 05:58 PM
I like that horse whisperer stuff with Monty Roberts...so I guess I'm one of the few who look forward to that stuff at the end of the night... :lol:

JustRalph
07-22-2013, 06:29 PM

Good luck on the interview. We need more PA members in the sport and especially the media related portions of the game.

andtheyreoff
07-22-2013, 06:33 PM
1. Keep the graphics on the screen more (a la TVG). I hate being in the dark about odds/post times during commercials.
2. Show racing on Tuesdays and at night. No one cares about western horse breaking shows.

PoloUK6108
07-22-2013, 06:35 PM
less equestrian, more classic racing specials...the whole scheme could use some modernization..more Michelle Yu ;)

jballscalls
07-22-2013, 06:36 PM
More Portland Meadows shown! (insert crickets icon here)

OTM Al
07-22-2013, 07:20 PM
I really can't understand why they aren't on there. I have to pay extra for TVG, so what is stopping them? Just throw them in the Sports Package tier that they charge an extra $5 a month for...it's not like Cablevision would be losing money on the deal...this is a MAJOR cable market...I can only assume HRTV would somehow be losing money on the deal, and that's why it hasn't happened yet...

As far as cable companies I've had in my life, I like Cablevision the best. That said, I hate the fact that subscribers can't select each channel they want off a menu. I'm sure there are some technical issues, but since they have no incentive to solve them, we end up with tons of channels we don't want and can't get some that we do.

tanner12oz
07-22-2013, 07:54 PM
Graphics and video quality stink compared to tvg...across the board and first call are very informative...info and handicappers are better on hrtv but the delivery is inferior

thespaah
07-22-2013, 11:33 PM

I see no problem with displaying odds of other tracks as long as those are clearly labeled as such.
I've not ever been confused by the displays.

NJ Stinks
07-23-2013, 12:08 AM

Too often when Jeff and Aaron are on, these guys don't declare who they like or why they like them the most until the horses are entering the starting gate. The show isn't called "I've Got A Secret" - it's called "The Player".

Anyway, I'm hoping to learn something I had not considered from these guys. When they wait until the last second, whatever they just said is worthless to me.

Beachbabe
07-23-2013, 08:50 PM
If you pass Jon White in the hall, remind him that his audience are adults & not 5 yr old kindergarteners.
And tell him that hardly anyone cares if the winner of the 5,000 maiden claimer is out of a dam whose grandsire's grandsire's half brother won The Flamingo Stakes in 1960.

Stillriledup
07-23-2013, 08:53 PM
If you pass Jon White in the hall, remind him that his audience are adults & not 5 yr old kindergarteners.
And tell him that hardly anyone cares if the winner of the 5,000 maiden claimer is out of a dam whose grandsire's grandsire's half brother won The Flamingo Stakes in 1960.

Do you think he talks "down" to people who are "less informed" than he is?

Beachbabe
07-23-2013, 09:13 PM
Do you think he talks "down" to people who are "less informed" than he is?
No, I don't even know if I would call it "talking down". It's more when he's trying to make a joke, like trying to make something funny out of a horse's name. It comes across as childish. It's not funny at all to a grown- up but maybe a small child would laugh. It's almost embarrassing .
But it's his constant rambling about the bloodlines of every insignificant winner, which could be construed as saying, "look at how much I know about every sire & dam that ever lived. "
Maybe it's just me. I know he's revered as a nice guy & he makes the morning line at one of the Cal tracks, but he just bothers me ( and maybe only me).

1GCFAN
07-23-2013, 09:21 PM
I can't see anything! I listen on XM209 and I am ok with the broadcast until 9:00 p.m.

Also, wish they were on Direct TV or the local cable. I asked Time Warner about HR and TVG and they had no idea what the channels were about.

Stillriledup
07-23-2013, 09:25 PM
No, I don't even know if I would call it "talking down". It's more when he's trying to make a joke, like trying to make something funny out of a horse's name. It comes across as childish. It's not funny at all to a grown- up but maybe a small child would laugh. It's almost embarrassing .
But it's his constant rambling about the bloodlines of every insignificant winner, which could be construed as saying, "look at how much I know about every sire & dam that ever lived. "
Maybe it's just me. I know he's revered as a nice guy & he makes the morning line at one of the Cal tracks, but he just bothers me ( and maybe only me).

People who have no sense of humor should accept it and deal with it, why must everyone be a comedian? :D

Zydeco
07-23-2013, 09:37 PM

Totally agree......The Flamingo Stakes,,,, 1960,,good one BeachBabe...shouldn't the history lessons be on after 8 eastern time?

proximity
07-23-2013, 09:50 PM
The Flamingo Stakes,,,, 1960,,good one BeachBabe...shouldn't the history lessons be on after 8 eastern time?

don't give them any ideas. :D

PoloUK6108
07-23-2013, 10:46 PM

:lol: :lol:

The guy is knowledgeable and obviously been around awhile, but i know what you're saying.

Tom
07-23-2013, 10:52 PM
Tell them to show races at night
Tell them to tell Jon White to take a breath once in a while and give him a few commas.
Tell them Zoe Cadman has a voice made for newspapers.
See if you can get me a bag of tasty West Rock.

GOOD LUCK! Rooting for you to get the job.

theiman
07-23-2013, 11:43 PM
I mentioned it once to someone there a few years ago but it never changed.

Example: When there is 1 minute or less to post at SA and they are showing the horses behind the gate the only odds that should be shown on the bottom of the screen are the current track. I dont want to see the current SA odds disappear to a scroll of odds from GP, GG, Oak, etc. Those tracks are not running a race for anywhere from 5-25 minutes. The bettor should always be made aware of the current track odds, or late action, for that race only.

Longshot6977
07-24-2013, 11:00 AM
Tell them to tell Jon White to take a breath once in a while and give him a few commas.

This is exactly what I think whenever I hear him on Steve Byk's satellite radio show. He never stops speaking in one very long sentence. Even though his thoughts change as he talks, it is one long sentence with no pauses, breaths or commas. Even his new sentences start with And and But which are really a continuation of his previous sentence. Poor Steve can never get a word in edgewise.

He is a very knowledgeable horse fan for sure, but very long winded to listen to.

proximity
07-24-2013, 07:31 PM
two stonewaves for just $10??

where is my evilgamingempire visa card?:eek:

PoloUK6108
07-24-2013, 09:36 PM
Tell them Zoe Cadman was made for newspapers, and may or may not be a male.

fixed. :ThmbUp:

Michelle Yu ftw

PhantomOnTour
07-24-2013, 10:38 PM
HRTV has one or two major problems;
1) their picture quality sucks, and I mean it SUCKS
2) they need to scroll odds and payoffs more frequently, as well as MTP for the tracks they are showing (like TVG does).