PDA

View Full Version : Breaking through the gate

Aner
07-22-2013, 02:32 PM
In today's 3rd race at Saratoga, Full of Intent, as the 9/5 favorite, broke through the gate. She didn't get far before being corralled, but she ran poorly, not hitting the board. Does anyone have some statistics showing whether tickets on such a break out horse should be cancelled?

thaskalos
07-22-2013, 02:36 PM
Has anybody seen a horse break through the gate and actually go on to win the race?

raybo
07-22-2013, 02:47 PM
Has anybody seen a horse break through the gate and actually go on to win the race?

Not me.

horses4courses
07-22-2013, 02:49 PM
Needed that :4: for the PK3....I knew I was done at the gate.

Stillriledup
07-22-2013, 02:51 PM

Ive seen it a few times recently. I have to wrack my brain to remember the actual race, but if i come up with it, i'll post it.

Stillriledup
07-22-2013, 02:53 PM
In today's 3rd race at Saratoga, Full of Intent, as the 9/5 favorite, broke through the gate. She didn't get far before being corralled, but she ran poorly, not hitting the board. Does anyone have some statistics showing whether tickets on such a break out horse should be cancelled?

You should cancel all your bets if that happens imo, especially if the fave breaks thru.

thaskalos
07-22-2013, 03:00 PM
You should cancel all your bets if that happens imo, especially if the fave breaks thru.

I always do...and I curse the gods -- and the "industry" -- when I see the race go off before I have a chance to cancel my wagers at a time like this.

So much has been seen and written about the fate of these horses during the race...that you would think the "authorities" would give us a little more time to cancel our tickets.

Stillriledup
07-22-2013, 03:17 PM
I always do...and I curse the gods -- and the "industry" -- when I see the race go off before I have a chance to cancel my wagers at a time like this.

So much has been seen and written about the fate of these horses during the race...that you would think the "authorities" would give us a little more time to cancel our tickets.

NYRA just loads and goes, you have to be ready to strike in a moments notice. Other tracks back em out and delay.

BreadandButter
07-22-2013, 07:10 PM

I don't track it so I can't give you percentages or anything however I've seen plenty of them go on to win over the years.

I remember once at Pompano when they ran their ill-fated quarter horse meet - I saw one break through the gate a couple of times (once doing an entire lap around the track) and go on to win.

Specific recent examples are Jade Empress on 6/7 and Kelly's Honor on 6/28 both at Penn National.

magwell
07-22-2013, 07:17 PM
It's the kiss of death to me, I cant wait to cancel when a horse I bet does that, although I did see a couple win, but not many, like 1 of every 40.....;)

rgustafson
07-22-2013, 08:33 PM
Well that's all well and good, but to suggest that the horse would have won (or run better) had he not broke through the gate is pure speculation. There is no way to know for sure. My inclination is if the horse is a price to give it a shot, if a short price, I lean the other way.

Tom
07-22-2013, 10:38 PM

Fio Rito, 1982 Whitney (video in other thread).
Gate guy caught him before he could run off.

PaceAdvantage
07-22-2013, 10:42 PM
Seattle Slew broke through the gate before the 1978 Jockey Club Gold Cup...he didn't win, but it was the single greatest losing effort in the history of racing that you will ever witness:

zZFr6N2lNY4

iceknight
07-22-2013, 10:53 PM
Wow.. what a race after those fractions!!! Slew! Superb performance

Maximillion
07-22-2013, 10:55 PM
Seattle Slew broke through the gate before the 1978 Jockey Club Gold Cup...he didn't win, but it was the single greatest losing effort in the history of racing that you will ever witness:

zZFr6N2lNY4

Im not old enough to have seen this race live but for me.......this race by SS and the winner of the 1973 JCGC are two of the finest performances ever by a racehorse.

iwearpurple
07-22-2013, 10:57 PM

I actually hit won at Santa Anita many years ago. I can't remember the name of the horse, but it paid over $80.00

I had made a bet on it, any my policy is that I NEVER cancel a bet already made.

nijinski
07-22-2013, 11:02 PM
I can watch Slew's races over and over again . Yes that was the most popular gate break , Cordero and Seattle Slew ! !

PaceAdvantage
07-22-2013, 11:36 PM
I just watched the race again myself...insane!

Seattle Slew duels with AFFIRMED....AFFIRMED (his saddle did slip in the race though)...not some two-bit rabbit...puts him away in 22:3, 45:1, 1:09:2, 1:35:2, 2:01:4 and just gets beat in 2:27:1

Slew went in 22:3, 22:3, 24:1, 26, 26:2, 25:4!!!

Those opening fractions were beyond brutal...and he galloped out ahead of Exceller to boot...those were the days... :lol:

nijinski
07-23-2013, 12:07 AM

Seattle Slew duels with AFFIRMED....AFFIRMED (his saddle did slip in the race though)...not some two-bit rabbit...puts him away in 22:3, 45:1, 1:09:2, 1:35:2, 2:01:4 and just gets beat in 2:27:1

Slew went in 22:3, 22:3, 24:1, 26, 26:2, 25:4!!!

Those opening fractions were beyond brutal...and he galloped out ahead of Exceller to boot...those were the days... :lol:
This was the race that got Slew alot of respect . Including Andy Beyer's . Most horses would have retreated and with no wind left .

iceknight
07-23-2013, 01:23 AM

Seattle Slew duels with AFFIRMED....AFFIRMED (his saddle did slip in the race though)...not some two-bit rabbit...puts him away in 22:3, 45:1, 1:09:2, 1:35:2, 2:01:4 and just gets beat in 2:27:1: And isnt crazy how they shortened the JCGC to 1 1/4 mi now?

Quesmark
07-23-2013, 05:18 PM
NYRA just loads and goes, you have to be ready to strike in a moments notice. Other tracks back em out and delay.
Too many tracks stall too long when there's any issue at the gate[eg. a breakthrough,late jockey change-as at Charles Town with 2 min to post and a 54/1 shot suddenly needs a new rider-,late gate scr. etc...],
this IMO changes the dynamic of the race,as now horses who were ready to go have to wait to run,does it take the starch out of some?
NYRA generally goes ASAP,as do the tracks in Australia,a quick decision is made,and they're off,no f'in around,horses who've been "scored" need to go or they'll lose some of their edge.
10,15,20+ minute delays aren't ideal to most of the parties involved in them...

nijinski
07-23-2013, 06:02 PM
And isnt crazy how they shortened the JCGC to 1 1/4 mi now?
And this is not the only race that was cut back in distance .

iceknight
07-24-2013, 02:56 PM
And this is not the only race that was cut back in distance . Yes, and this is keeping with the trend towards sprinters I guess

Stillriledup
07-24-2013, 03:24 PM
There's been 3 or 4 horses in the last few days at Saratoga that have broken thru the gate, all were favorites or near favorites.

nijinski
07-24-2013, 06:48 PM
Yes, and this is keeping with the trend towards sprinters I guess
They listened to Whittingham ! LOL . He skipped the mile and a half JCGC
and said he knew the winner Easy Goer would not be able to do that and then win the BCC .

Robert Fischer
07-24-2013, 08:07 PM

zZFr6N2lNY4

wow, Slew even broke through the gate with class. He kind of flew out of there.

Great performance.

bigjohna
07-25-2013, 08:03 PM
hi ihope iposted inthe rightplace my question is about daliy track variant is there a such thing as negative track variant and there is a such thing what does it look like your average daliy track variant looklike this 90-17 thanks for anyhelp regards john

nijinski
07-25-2013, 11:10 PM
hi ihope iposted inthe rightplace my question is about daliy track variant is there a such thing as negative track variant and there is a such thing what does it look like your average daliy track variant looklike this 90-17 thanks for anyhelp regards john

Welcome BIG John , There is likely a thread in the General Handicapping
that covers this .

Show Me the Wire
07-25-2013, 11:37 PM

No such thing exists in the DRF TV. The variant is based on the best 3 year time. If a new time is set the variant is based on the new track record.