PDA

View Full Version : Summer of Dehere, 20 year anny.

Stillriledup
07-21-2013, 08:14 PM
Dehere ripped thru the 2 year old stakes season at Saratoga in 1993 in some epic, brilliant and breathtaking runs in the Saratoga Special on July 29th, the Sanford on Aug 13th and the Hopeful on Aug 29th.

Here's his epic win in the Stga Special.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0at6tTgEvNc

ronsmac
07-21-2013, 08:21 PM
To this day I'm pissed Dehere scratched from running in the Florida derby. I loved Holy Bull that day, and with no Dehere that killed his price. I still had a big hit on " The Bull " , but it could have been epic with the way the track was playing if Dehere had run.

Stillriledup
07-21-2013, 08:29 PM
To this day I'm pissed Dehere scratched from running in the Florida derby. I loved Holy Bull that day, and with no Dehere that killed his price. I still had a big hit on " The Bull " , but it could have been epic with the way the track was playing if Dehere had run.

HB ran a 115 Beyer winning by 5 3/4 lengths, his previous race was a 57 Beyer and a 24 length loss. Do we know what the story was in his fountain of youth debacle?

PaceAdvantage
07-21-2013, 08:31 PM
Yes, but Holy Bull was coming off his terrible race in the Fountain of Youth after flipping his palate. I believe he went off at slightly over 2-1 in the Florida Derby, which of course was a monster price, and I was all over him that day, and managed to hit the trifecta as well, which also paid huge...

Just looked up the chart...Holy Bull actually went off closer to 3-1...2.70....

Ride the Rails was second and Halo's Image was third, at 5-1 and 12-1 respectively, and the tri paid over $600...you don't see them giving away money like that much these days anymore, now do you?

And it was a 14 horse field, which no doubt contributed to the inflated payoffs...

But this is a thread about Dehere...my greatest memory of Dehere was when he got his ass kicked by Holy Bull over a sloppy Belmont strip in the Futurity..yes, the margin of victory was only 1/2 a length, but trust me, I was there...it was an ass kicking given Dehere's hype...lmao

Gotta love racing back in those days...after that race, here was a quote from Dehere's trainer, Reynaldo Nobles, "There is no way Holy Bull beats Dehere again."

He was right though...I don't think they ever faced each other again...lol

Stillriledup
07-21-2013, 08:52 PM
Yes, but Holy Bull was coming off his terrible race in the Fountain of Youth after flipping his palate. I believe he went off at slightly over 2-1 in the Florida Derby, which of course was a monster price, and I was all over him that day, and managed to hit the trifecta as well, which also paid huge...

Ride the Rails was second and Halo's Image was third, at 5-1 and 12-1 respectively, and the tri paid over $600...you don't see them giving away money like that much these days anymore, now do you?

And it was a 14 horse field, which no doubt contributed to the inflated payoffs...

But this is a thread about Dehere...my greatest memory of Dehere was when he got his ass kicked by Holy Bull over a sloppy Belmont strip in the Futurity..yes, the margin of victory was only 1/2 a length, but trust me, I was there...it was an ass kicking given Dehere's hype...lmao

Gotta love racing back in those days...after that race, here was a quote from Dehere's trainer, Reynaldo Nobles, "There is no way Holy Bull beats Dehere again."

The Bull was an all time great horse...Dehere never developed into that type of steed, he was an early bloomer, no way he was going to touch the Bull if the Bull was at full power.

andtheyreoff
07-21-2013, 08:52 PM

Dehere beat the Bull in the 1994 Fountain of Youth.

PaceAdvantage
07-21-2013, 08:58 PM
Dehere beat the Bull in the 1994 Fountain of Youth.See how I block those sort of hellish experiences out of my mind?

BTW, when Holy Bull broke down in the Donn, I was never the same as far as horse racing was concerned. I love that horse that much...

PaceAdvantage
07-21-2013, 09:01 PM
OK...gotta stop this...this is a thread about Dehere...no more Holy Bull talk... :lol:

Stillriledup
07-21-2013, 09:05 PM
OK...gotta stop this...this is a thread about Dehere...no more Holy Bull talk... :lol:

Dehere owned by Bob Brennan...now there's a topic of convo!

ronsmac
07-21-2013, 09:46 PM

He was right though...I don't think they ever faced each other again...lolTrue, but the Bull may have been 9/2 or 5/1 if Dehere had run, and the exacta, which i hit would have been gigantic with Dehere out. The race shape of that race and in my opinion no way Dehere runs 2nd. I went into the race planning on throwing Dehere out. I thought his grindind Fountain of Youth win was very unimpressive visually. Of course we'll never know if he would have been off the board if he had run.

nijinski
07-21-2013, 10:37 PM
Reynaldo Nobles also trained Dehere's sire Deputy Minister . He had some nice stats with the Due Process stock .
Big Red was Dehere's broodmare sire and I believe Nobles thought he would
be the next coming of him and then some .

KirisClown
07-21-2013, 11:33 PM
One of my favorite memories of Dehere...

139J9646j8A

classhandicapper
07-22-2013, 12:45 PM

Yea, but did you have him that day? ;)

He looked good on pace figure adjusted performance figures of the type that TimeformUS is making now (especially on that track). I cashed a small bet on him that day.

Stillriledup
05-17-2014, 05:29 AM
RIP.

He was a good one.