PDA

View Full Version : A Follow-Up

Cratos
07-21-2013, 03:58 PM
As I have stated many times on this forum, I am a stakes bettor. However I handicap every race on the card because you never know when opportunity will present itself.

Therefore on opening day at the Spa I wanted to see whether my assumptions in my previous post (Belmont vs. Saratoga is there a difference?) had any validity.

In that post I stated that the wide turns at Belmont gave a horse an advantage over a horse at Saratoga because of the “side force” and I also stated that a bettor should take a good look at milers dropping back to 7 furlongs at Saratoga.

It didn’t take long to test those two postulations as Hardest Core on the Mellon Turf course with the temporary rail set at 12 feet came from dead last and went 6 wide on the turn to post a $11.40 winning mutuel. This meant that Hardest Core travelled about 103 feet farther and won with authority.

But things got a better in the 7th race as there were only two horses in that 7 furlong race dropping back to 7 furlongs, New Line and Indy’s Illusion and both were dropping down from stakes competition in their last race. Indy’s Illusion might have been a throw out for some because of a long layoff, but New Line at 11-1 appeared to be a good test for my assumption; and he was as he rewarded his backers with a $24.80 payoff.

I am not saying this will happen every day at the Spa and might not happen again at this meet, but it did support my assumptions.

Stillriledup
07-21-2013, 04:17 PM
I liked that winner of the first race as a 'new horse' with lasix, but wasnt sure how he was going to pull it off from post 12. Great ride by the guy, saving ground and swinging out and finding a seam.

pondman
07-21-2013, 07:33 PM
But things got a better in the 7th race as there were only two horses in that 7 furlong race dropping back to 7 furlongs, New Line and Indy’s Illusion and both were dropping down from stakes competition in their last race. Indy’s Illusion might have been a throw out for some because of a long layoff, but New Line at 11-1 appeared to be a good test for my assumption; and he was as he rewarded his backers with a $24..

The easy goer paid 90k to the winner. The Aoc paid 49k to the winner. Forget about the rail. This was a soft spot for juddmonte. Mott had thrown 11s into that horse in early June, with an intermittent race. Big cash for me! Suggest you reconsider you class analysis.

TJDave
07-21-2013, 10:54 PM
The easy goer paid 90k to the winner. The Aoc paid 49k to the winner. Forget about the rail. This was a soft spot for juddmonte. Mott had thrown 11s into that horse in early June, with an intermittent race. Big cash for me! Suggest you reconsider you class analysis.

Fine piece of handicapping. :ThmbUp:

cj
07-21-2013, 11:09 PM
Fine piece of handicapping. :ThmbUp:

Where did he handicap it?