PDA

View Full Version : FORMATTING PROBLEM

HUSKER55
07-21-2013, 03:35 PM
I tried to change the print color in excel 2010 and the program won't do it.

I have sveral columns of data and I like to color code them so they are easier to use.

I tried to repaire it with the office repair program but that didn't work. AVG says I am good to go. I have no idea what happened.

The format painter works so I am not totally out of luck.

any ideas would be welcomed

thank you guys and gals!

husker55
:)

Tom
07-21-2013, 06:25 PM
You see the columns in color on your screen, but they print out in B&W?

Longshot6977
07-21-2013, 07:40 PM
I tried to change the print color in excel 2010 and the program won't do it.:)

Excel 2010 will print what it 'sees' on the screen (colors and all). I think your problem is the print settings on your color printer. Ensure it is in color printing mode and not B&W mode. Unbeknownst to you, it could've been changed in error. try setting the printer properties outside the realm of Excel.

If my reply doesn't resolve it, please elaborate a little on the problem. Ignoring printing for a moment, can you change the color of fonts and cell fills as you want them to look? If yes, then your print driver settings need adjusting. And your printer may be out of color ink/toner and is defaulting to B&W. If no, then you have a strange excel problem I never heard of.

HUSKER55
07-21-2013, 07:52 PM
story of my life. It is not a printing problem. it is the excel spreadsheet.

the font in the cell, or group of cells, will not let me change color. If I delete the line and redo it, then the font comes back in black. But as soon as I apply color, it sticks.

Why is it I get all the strange ducks? :D

Longshot6977
07-21-2013, 08:47 PM
1. Start with a new worksheet. (close then open Excel).
2. Make sure the worksheet is unprotected.
3. Make sure Conditional Formatting is off for all cells. You can check by going to 'Find and select' in upper right corner, then selecting Conditional Formatting' It will highlight all affected cells if any exist.
4. See if same problem happens in Word. If yes, a high contrast theme can cause this issue, so try a different one temporarily to see if it helps.
5. Something got corrupted in Excel/Office and it should be reinstalled since the repair feature didn't help.

Hope this helps.

jerry-g
07-21-2013, 09:36 PM
Try this link:

Changing Color Coordinates (http://excel.tips.net/T002932_Changing_Coordinate_Colors.html)

HUSKER55
07-22-2013, 09:29 AM
THANK YOU GUYS!

I had tried the locked cells thing but I forgot to check the conditional formatting!

For those of you who think you are having a bad day....remeber this little go around!

Thanks again guys!

Tom
07-22-2013, 11:02 AM
That's ok, Husker, I spent half of last night trying to query second time starters, THIRD RACE BACK off a layoff! D'oh!
No wonder I couldn't find any......:bang:

Longshot6977
07-22-2013, 11:30 AM
THANK YOU GUYS!

I had tried the locked cells thing but I forgot to check the conditional formatting!

Glad you got it working:ThmbUp:

raybo
07-22-2013, 03:08 PM
THANK YOU GUYS!

For those of you who think you are having a bad day....remeber this little go around!

Thanks again guys!

Yeah, if you have conditional formatting, all bets are off, regarding changing colors. Remove the conditional formatting before trying to change the appearance formatting.

raybo
07-22-2013, 03:10 PM
That's ok, Husker, I spent half of last night trying to query second time starters, THIRD RACE BACK off a layoff! D'oh!
No wonder I couldn't find any......:bang:

LOL! I'm sure others have had worse embarrassing encounters, me included.