PDA

View Full Version : Monzante

jballscalls
07-21-2013, 12:07 AM
So sorry to see his demise today. He won the Grade 1 Eddie Read 5 years ago to the day today. Today he went wrong in a $4,000 claimer at Evangeline.

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pdf/EVD072013USA4.pdf

very sad.

menifee
07-21-2013, 12:37 AM
Really sad - don't know why owner/trainer would run the horse in that spot. 10 yr old and 9 yr old coupled entry - go off as the favorite. Unreal.

nijinski
07-21-2013, 01:21 AM
Google the trainers name , could it be someone with the same name
was once charged with animal cruelty ? or.......
Damn So sorry he couldn't be saved . This is the part that stinks "

Mineshaft
07-21-2013, 10:58 AM
Google the trainers name , could it be someone with the same name
was once charged with animal cruelty ? or.......
Damn So sorry he couldn't be saved . This is the part that stinks "

don't think this guy has ever been charged with cruelty. might be thinking about someone else.

moneyandland
07-21-2013, 11:27 AM
don't think this guy has ever been charged with cruelty. might be thinking about someone else.

He was charged but don't see any outcome/judgement in a quick search

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-03-27/sports/sp-244_1_state-racing-commission

Mineshaft
07-21-2013, 02:05 PM
He was charged but don't see any outcome/judgement in a quick search

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-03-27/sports/sp-244_1_state-racing-commission

damn didn't know that at all

nijinski
07-21-2013, 02:42 PM
damn didn't know that at all

It's a common name in some parts , so there is no confirmation . Regardless
he sent this horse out yesterday and he has to live with that . :( .

Mineshaft
07-21-2013, 02:45 PM
It's a common name in some parts , so there is no confirmation . Regardless
he sent this horse out yesterday and he has to live with that . :( .

common name meaning Thacker? I don't get what u trying to say

nijinski
07-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Really sad - don't know why owner/trainer would run the horse in that spot. 10 yr old and 9 yr old coupled entry - go off as the favorite. Unreal.

On 6/4 there was a tweet which read " Monzante Deserves Better Than This ". Along with full page photos of him in better days .
This same person claims she contacted O.F. two months ago . Unfortunately
her worst fears happened .
We can only try to do the best for the horses and save face for the sport .
Sometimes you just can't win over the ignorance and greed .

You can view Monzantes photo's through tweets sent to Alex Brown .
:(

Mineshaft
07-21-2013, 03:28 PM
On 6/4 there was a tweet which read " Monzante Deserves Better Than This ". Along with full page photos of him in better days .
This same person claims she contacted O.F. two months ago . Unfortunately
her worst fears happened .
We can only try to do the best for the horses and save face for the sport .
Sometimes you just can't win over the ignorance and greed .

You can view Monzantes photo's through tweets sent to Alex Brown .
:(

who is O.F.?

theiman
07-21-2013, 04:59 PM
who is O.F.?

I will take a stab and say its "Old Friends" Equine Farm near Lexington, KY. A great retirement place for some of the top T-Breds that have run over the years.
Michael Blowen does a great job there. It is also a must stop if you are ever making a trip to Keeneland.

http://www.oldfriendsequine.org/

nijinski
07-21-2013, 06:50 PM
I will take a stab and say its "Old Friends" Equine Farm near Lexington, KY. A great retirement place for some of the top T-Breds that have run over the years.
Michael Blowen does a great job there. It is also a must stop if you are ever making a trip to Keeneland.

http://www.oldfriendsequine.org/

Yes it was Old Friends she contacted . Thanks

bobbyt62
07-22-2013, 01:06 AM
class act the manoogians---the owners whom made about half million, before expenses, on monzante.

nijinski
07-22-2013, 01:43 AM
class act the manoogians---the owners whom made about half million, before expenses, on monzante.

This is how Mr Paulick sums it up: What could have prevented this tragedy? Stricter rules and tighter regulation by the Louisiana Racing Commission might have determined Monzante was not fit or sound enough to race again, but this was a human failure, not an institutional one.

Compassion, common sense, and decency by any of Monzante’s previous owners or trainers would have stopped the horse’s descent to the lowest rung on the racing ladder, where the endings are seldom good.

nijinski
07-22-2013, 07:34 PM
You don't see a title like this much from Steve Haskin . I'm glad Bloodhorse
let him run with it .

Monzante’s Death a Disgrace

The death of this old warrior has brought out a lot of outpouring from many in the industry .. Everyone hoping that the racing commission in Louisiana
wakes up and makes stiff change .

Mineshaft
07-22-2013, 08:19 PM
I mean what can the La Racing Commission do? The horse was competitive last year and even won a race. Had 2 workouts before the race one which was 48 and change. How real are those works who knows? The horse did have to pass a pre race vet exam before running. The horse made a move to the leaders which would indicate he was traveling decent.

Im not going to crucify Thacker just yet but I can tell you one thing that track at EVD is terrible and I mean terrible. Ive heard too many complaints this year about the track being bad.

nijinski
07-23-2013, 02:25 AM
I mean what can the La Racing Commission do? The horse was competitive last year and even won a race. Had 2 workouts before the race one which was 48 and change. How real are those works who knows? The horse did have to pass a pre race vet exam before running. The horse made a move to the leaders which would indicate he was traveling decent.

Im not going to crucify Thacker just yet but I can tell you one thing that track at EVD is terrible and I mean terrible. Ive heard too many complaints this year about the track being bad.

I see one wo and he was a Vet scratch 6/8 , the sirens were blaring .
EVD is forced to investigate , they have to and I understand they are .
They may want to try to get accredited . They will then have to conform
to regulations and the Vets will have tougher guidelines to follow ..

Stillriledup
07-23-2013, 04:01 AM
The unfortunate part of the game is that its dictated by finances and owners are not treating racehorses as pets. Most owners are not as rich as "kings" (hence, sport of kings) and they have to watch their nickels and dimes, many owners are a few losses away from being out of the sport altogether, what kind of expense would an average owner incur if that owner felt obligated to retire all his ex racehorses and spend money on their feed and care for the rest of their lives?

Its a vicious cycle, trainers can't tell owners of a 5k claimer "lets give him 6 months R and R" it just makes no financial sense, owners don't want to pay that expense, the 6 months upkeep is probably more than the horse is even worth.

There are just too many horses who can't run anymore and nobody wants to foot the bills. I know there's an outcry for Monzante, but is anyone in this thread willing to take the next Monzante, retire him and pay for his feed and care for the rest of his life?

Its very easy to spend someone else's money. This is a very rough and unforgiving game, its just currently set up where many of these horses won't retire and live happily ever after. There's just not enough people out there who want to adopt a really large pet, they just don't have the room in their backyards to accomodate this situation.

Its a shame, nobody wants to see horses meet their brutal end, but is there really any way to stop it? What do you all suggest?

Pine Tree Lane
07-23-2013, 06:52 AM
You don't see a title like this much from Steve Haskin . I'm glad Bloodhorse
let him run with it .

Monzante’s Death a Disgrace

The death of this old warrior has brought out a lot of outpouring from many in the industry .. Everyone hoping that the racing commission in Louisiana
wakes up and makes stiff change .

And just as quickly, they pulled it. :bang:

tucker6
07-23-2013, 07:29 AM
so much for journalistic integrity

tucker6
07-23-2013, 07:31 AM
The unfortunate part of the game is that its dictated by finances and owners are not treating racehorses as pets. Most owners are not as rich as "kings" (hence, sport of kings) and they have to watch their nickels and dimes, many owners are a few losses away from being out of the sport altogether, what kind of expense would an average owner incur if that owner felt obligated to retire all his ex racehorses and spend money on their feed and care for the rest of their lives?

Its a vicious cycle, trainers can't tell owners of a 5k claimer "lets give him 6 months R and R" it just makes no financial sense, owners don't want to pay that expense, the 6 months upkeep is probably more than the horse is even worth.

There are just too many horses who can't run anymore and nobody wants to foot the bills. I know there's an outcry for Monzante, but is anyone in this thread willing to take the next Monzante, retire him and pay for his feed and care for the rest of his life?

Its very easy to spend someone else's money. This is a very rough and unforgiving game, its just currently set up where many of these horses won't retire and live happily ever after. There's just not enough people out there who want to adopt a really large pet, they just don't have the room in their backyards to accomodate this situation.

Its a shame, nobody wants to see horses meet their brutal end, but is there really any way to stop it? What do you all suggest?
my response would be that if you can't handle the pension payments, then don't get into the game in the first place.

burnsy
07-23-2013, 08:45 AM
my response would be that if you can't handle the pension payments, then don't get into the game in the first place.

I agree so much with this statement...That being said. I am a gambler not an owner. So i never feel the pressure of owning a race horse. One of the reasons i love horse racing is the horses themselves. I grew up in Saratoga, have worked with horses and love being around animals. I am the type person that feels guilty when i run over a squirel by accident. I don't see how you can be around these animals and not feel anything for them but a dollar sign. The animals can sense if you give a shit about them too. I am one of those people that can walk up to almost any animal and it will trust me. My friends call me a dog whisperer. This is the ugliest part of this game. Accidents are one thing, but every race horse deserves a "retirement" after the cheers have died down and the tickets have been cashed or torn. Besides the ethical reasons, the sport gets a black eye everytime one of these stories comes out. A horse like that should never be running in a cheap claimer at that age or ANY age. Once there is a decline like that, give the poor horse a break.........it hasn't worked hard enough for you yet? And we are the breed thats supposed to be able to think.

letswastemoney
07-23-2013, 11:50 AM
so much for journalistic integrity
Most of Haskin's articles are very positive and happy feeling. I would have liked to read whatever they pulled.

Stillriledup
07-23-2013, 12:08 PM
Most of Haskin's articles are very positive and happy feeling. I would have liked to read whatever they pulled.

is this it?

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse-racing-steve-haskin/archive/2013/07/23/Monzante_1920_s-Death-a-Disgrace.aspx

FantasticDan
07-23-2013, 02:06 PM
Update.. horse was deemed "salvageable" on track after the injury, trainer then ordered private vet to euthanize back at his barn:

http://www.drf.com/news/monzante-deemed-salvageable-being-put-down-regulator-says

Stillriledup
07-23-2013, 02:18 PM
Update.. horse was deemed "salvageable" on track after the injury, trainer then ordered private vet to euthanize back at his barn:

http://www.drf.com/news/monzante-deemed-salvageable-being-put-down-regulator-says

ut oh.

I know the trainer is going to get tons of blame here, as well he/she should, but isnt the vet also to blame? Euthanizing a horse who didnt need to be euthanized?

Is it a crime to murder an animal?

menifee
07-23-2013, 02:24 PM

This story is going to get a lot worse for Thacker if this is true.

PhantomOnTour
07-23-2013, 02:30 PM
Shouldn't someone stop this guy from riding at age 70?
He is on the even money chalk at FP in race 2...why is this guy allowed to ride at that age?

EDIT: he ran 2nd...but man does he look horrible

nearco
07-23-2013, 02:54 PM
ut oh.

I know the trainer is going to get tons of blame here, as well he/she should, but isnt the vet also to blame? Euthanizing a horse who didnt need to be euthanized?

Is it a crime to murder an animal?

The descision to Euthanise a horse is not as black and white as you seem to think. We have no idea what "salvagable" means in this instance. Among the factors that would be considered are a) is it worth it to the horse's future quality of life to keep it alive... you can save a horse, but if it means the rest of his days would be spent in pain in stall, it might the humane thing to euthanise.
b) the cost involved in "salvaging" the horse. Was it a few hundred bucks and some time off? Or was it $10k+ in vet bills/surgery/rehab?

I've seen people keep alive horses (both race horses and horses in other sports and pleasure horses) that imo would have been kinder to the horse to have it put to sleep,as they had no quality of life afterwards.
I have also seen many people euthanise horses because the cost to keeping the horse alive was prohibitive. I personally have had to do that. It wasn't fun descision, but I didn't have the tens of thousands of dollars it would have cost to try to save a horse whose only value was sentimental value to me.

We don't know the specifics of this particular case. Could be the trainer is a cheap ass scumbag with no heart, or it could be something entirely different.

Cannon shell
07-23-2013, 03:00 PM
The person to blame for this is Thacker, plain and simple. The irony is that his decision to put the horse down is probably the best one that he made during this entire process. The idea that a track vet based on a 30 second evaluation on the racetrack can deem a horse "salvageable" without xrays or any diagnostic tools is a joke. Many "salvageable" horses wind up dying slow deaths from any number of causes such as infection, founder, etc. In the end the LA racing commission based on their statement seemed to have taken extra steps to examine the horse prior to his race. The previous vet scratch was for a minor colic though that is not always the case but is what is often put down when a horse is scratched.

Paulick is using this sad case to take potshots at pretty much anyone who was ever associated with the horse (disclaimer-I have trained for one of the previous owners though no longer do so) including the LA racing commission. Naturally he is just stirring the pot trying to drive traffic to his site but the idea that any of his previous owners could have done "something" is pie in the sky, after the fact, monday morning quarterbacking. The only reason this case has any attention is the horse was at one time pretty good. There are lots of examples of these types of horses hitting the bottom and winding up in bad shape or dead and most are ignored. The responsibility unfortunately lies with those at the bottom of the food chain who are usually least able to afford to make calls without regard to finances. We can wring our hands, start committees, cry to Joe Drape, start petitions to do "something", ect but until the onus is placed on those who are making the call as to when and where they are willing to race these types of horses, nothing will change.

Horses eat alot, they require a lot of care and space. The monthly upkeep on a racehorse in training is going to cost you way more than the typical American family spends on a mortgage payment. Even when they are retired they still require far more care than a dog or cat or other type of pet. They can live for a longtime, I have a 29 year old pony who is still working. Finding a place to retire these horses (Not this one because he probably could have gotten into a higher profile retirement place) isnt as easy as you'd think.

Stillriledup
07-23-2013, 03:09 PM
The descision to Euthanise a horse is not as black and white as you seem to think. We have no idea what "salvagable" means in this instance. Among the factors that would be considered are a) is it worth it to the horse's future quality of life to keep it alive... you can save a horse, but if it means the rest of his days would be spent in pain in stall, it might the humane thing to euthanise.
b) the cost involved in "salvaging" the horse. Was it a few hundred bucks and some time off? Or was it $10k+ in vet bills/surgery/rehab?

I've seen people keep alive horses (both race horses and horses in other sports and pleasure horses) that imo would have been kinder to the horse to have it put to sleep,as they had no quality of life afterwards.
I have also seen many people euthanise horses because the cost to keeping the horse alive was prohibitive. I personally have had to do that. It wasn't fun descision, but I didn't have the tens of thousands of dollars it would have cost to try to save a horse whose only value was sentimental value to me.

We don't know the specifics of this particular case. Could be the trainer is a cheap ass scumbag with no heart, or it could be something entirely different.

I get what you're saying...i just took the term salvagable to mean he could get back to normal. To me, that doesnt seem like it was a "barbaro situation" where it would be hit or miss if they could save him. They made it out to seem like he could make it under normal circumstances.

Grits
07-23-2013, 03:15 PM
His trainer's license should be revoked in all racing jurisdictions. He's not worthy to run these animals. In three different barns within the last three years, no longer a moneymaker, just someone else's castoff.

The greater tragedy? Far too many horses bred and far too many tracks remain open.

The greatest tragedy? That which a friend/owner has spoken to me of, often.

"Everyone's primary concern lies with the fate of "the stakes horse". Up in arms, outrage all over the internet.. Where's the passion, the anger when its an allowance horse or a maiden claimer? There is none, folks don't care so much about their well being. Sadly enough, they trained everyday, they ran as capably as their legs would carry them. They just weren't as fast so they don't matter to owners, trainers, bettors, or fans."

Because of issues such as this, the sport will continue to remain in decline. Social media is a bear; spreading like a cancer. It has the ability to reach millions of people, tapping out disgust on a smart phone or an IPad in a minute.

Those same devices we use to bet on them..

wiffleball whizz
07-23-2013, 04:10 PM
Would the same article have been written if funny cide broke down at finger lakes? I recall late in his career he was a non factor in a lot of races and looked to me like he was racing in spots that didn't seem fair to him from where he was 4 years prior?!

FantasticDan
07-23-2013, 05:13 PM
Would the same article have been written if funny cide broke down at finger lakes? I recall late in his career he was a non factor in a lot of races and looked to me like he was racing in spots that didn't seem fair to him from where he was 4 years prior?! :confused: This post is nonsensical. Funny Cide never changed hands, never raced for a claim at any level, and finished up his career with a win in a $100K stakes at Finger Lakes after a couple 3rd place finishes in NYRA stakes.

Nothing about that is even remotely similar to the path that Monzante took.

cj
07-23-2013, 05:37 PM
Why was this idiot running the horse on dirt? Horse had never run on it until being claimed by this guy. He won on turf twice for him at EvD with a few other placings mixed in, but that wasn't enough. There is no turf at DeD, so why not run him three times on a surface he clearly doesn't like. Once, sure, but he ran him three times without any success. Clearly just trying to squeeze any buck he can from the horse.

Then, after a layoff, he runs him again on dirt at EvD. Nice guy.

letswastemoney
07-23-2013, 05:38 PM
Would the same article have been written if funny cide broke down at finger lakes? I recall late in his career he was a non factor in a lot of races and looked to me like he was racing in spots that didn't seem fair to him from where he was 4 years prior?!
He still won a G3 at Woodbine at 6 years old. He wasn't at his 2003/2004 levels, but he wasn't terrible for a lower level stakes horse.

Mineshaft
07-23-2013, 05:38 PM
Why was this idiot running the horse on dirt? Horse had never run on it until being claimed by this guy. He won on turf twice for him at EvD with a few other placings mixed in, but that wasn't enough. There is no turf at DeD, so why not run him three times on a surface he clearly doesn't like. Once, sure, but he ran him three times without any success. Clearly just trying to squeeze any buck he can from the horse.

Then, after a layoff, he runs him again on dirt at EvD. Nice guy.

I would think he was just trying to get the horse claimed.

Mineshaft
07-23-2013, 05:40 PM

Ok can we now get off the LA Racing Commissions ass. They did everything they could do.

Sure would like to know what vet put the horse down after they said the horse was salvageable.

cj
07-23-2013, 05:42 PM
I would think he was just trying to get the horse claimed.

Yeah, I originally was going to mention "dump job", which is what this was, but that seems to rile up a lot of people. It happens every day at every track in the country.

cj
07-23-2013, 05:44 PM
As much as I hate to say it, putting the horse down was the best thing that could have happened. It wasn't going to get any better for this horse, only worse.

nijinski
07-23-2013, 05:48 PM

Don't worry enough people saved it . I was sent four copies .

Grits
07-23-2013, 06:05 PM
The piece written by Haskin is still at BloodHorse. It was removed temporarily for review by managing editors, I believe.

Look to the left on the homepage under BLOGS. You'll find it. So well written!

nijinski
07-23-2013, 06:14 PM
The piece written by Haskin is still at BloodHorse. It was removed temporarily for review by managing editors, I believe.

Look to the left on the homepage under BLOGS. You'll find it. So well written!
'Was glad to return from work and see it .His FB friends and all his fans must have raised hell .
The man does beautiful work for BH . He let his emotions out on this one and they tried but in the end gave in :)

nearco
07-23-2013, 06:28 PM
While it's true that Funny Cide didn't drop to the depths that Monzante did, I think the point that the previous poster was trying to make still stands.... i.e if FC had broken down and had to be euthenaised in that 100k stakes at Finger Lakes, then there would have been a lot of people pulling out the pitch forks and baying for blood.

I remember at the time that I was a little put out that they were running him there. Not that I thought he was in danger of getting hurt, I just thought it was a little undignified for a Derby winner, Preakness winner and JCGC winner being run in a non-graded stakes at Finger Lakes, in what appeared to be a bit of a dog-and-pony-show for the Sakatoga crowd at their 'local' track.

PaceAdvantage
07-23-2013, 11:09 PM
Is it a crime to murder an animal?I'm pretty sure it's not a crime to euthanize a sick or ailing animal that you own. It might not even be a crime to humanely euthanize a perfectly healthy animal that you own.

Hell, shelters do it all the time...

PaceAdvantage
07-23-2013, 11:13 PM
While it's true that Funny Cide didn't drop to the depths that Monzante did, I think the point that the previous poster was trying to make still stands.... i.e if FC had broken down and had to be euthenaised in that 100k stakes at Finger Lakes, then there would have been a lot of people pulling out the pitch forks and baying for blood.

I remember at the time that I was a little put out that they were running him there. Not that I thought he was in danger of getting hurt, I just thought it was a little undignified for a Derby winner, Preakness winner and JCGC winner being run in a non-graded stakes at Finger Lakes, in what appeared to be a bit of a dog-and-pony-show for the Sakatoga crowd at their 'local' track.Lots of people thought it was great to run FC at Finger Lakes. When is the next time that track is going to get a Derby winner running there? Let alone a Derby and Preakness winner?

They did it because it was a sporting gesture, exactly aimed, as you say, at their home crowd and local track. Absolutely nothing wrong with that in my opinion. In fact, I think it's great for the game...

Quesmark
07-23-2013, 11:15 PM

Well said,realistic,and like the indomitable sportscaster Howard Cosell telling it like it is...

wiffleball whizz
07-23-2013, 11:57 PM
Lots of people thought it was great to run FC at Finger Lakes. When is the next time that track is going to get a Derby winner running there? Let alone a Derby and Preakness winner?

They did it because it was a sporting gesture, exactly aimed, as you say, at their home crowd and local track. Absolutely nothing wrong with that in my opinion. In fact, I think it's great for the game...

1000 percent what funny cide did was great for the game racing at finger lakes...I'm just saying he is the 1 great horse that raced very very long after his glory days....im thinking he was racing till he was 7?

But if he would have broken down in some cheap aqueduct stakes on the IDT these same questions would have been brought up.....and I think it was safe to say funny cide raced well past his better days

wiffleball whizz
07-23-2013, 11:58 PM

I remember at the time that I was a little put out that they were running him there. Not that I thought he was in danger of getting hurt, I just thought it was a little undignified for a Derby winner, Preakness winner and JCGC winner being run in a non-graded stakes at Finger Lakes, in what appeared to be a bit of a dog-and-pony-show for the Sakatoga crowd at their 'local' track.

Exactly my point!!!! Thanks for wording it better then I did

nijinski
07-24-2013, 12:14 AM

Big breeding operations are stepping up when asked . They're not perfect . But they are showing up . Countless rescues are too but Thacker would have had to wait a bit , care for the horse a while and pay for transport .Thacker was the owner , put up the 10 grand to buy him . No way do I buy that this horse didn't have major issues . Salvageable doesn't mean he can go on to another career . The man needs to be thrown into a manure pit .
The states need to own up and regulate better and also rid themselves of this crap .
If the purse structure is way more than the claim price due to gaming revenue . Cut the damn purses and put the money into safety and welfare
of the horses and track employees . All tracks should have to be accredited .
This one is not . It should be a prerequisite before casinos come in .
There are more guidelines that the Vets must follow when accredited .

Damn , on the day of the Eddie Read Stakes , this Veteran should have been receiving a bowl of mints and carrots in a pasture somewhere . Not running
at the that level to his death .

nijinski
07-24-2013, 12:19 AM
1000 percent what funny cide did was great for the game racing at finger lakes...I'm just saying he is the 1 great horse that raced very very long after his glory days....im thinking he was racing till he was 7?

But if he would have broken down in some cheap aqueduct stakes on the IDT these same questions would have been brought up.....and I think it was safe to say funny cide raced well past his better days

It could have happened and it would have been a brutal thing.
FC connections I'm sure had films and dopplers taken of his legs
while he was still racing . He still could have taken a bad step
however there is no comparing FC to the plight of Monzante .

wiffleball whizz
07-24-2013, 12:24 AM
It could have happened and it would have been a brutal thing.
FC connections I'm sure had films and dopplers taken of his legs
while he was still racing . He still could have taken a bad step
however there is no comparing FC to the plight of Monzante .

Yes your right.....in all honesty I'm not a 100 percent informed on the monzante situation....it seems like a disgrace

nijinski
07-24-2013, 12:30 AM
Yes your right.....in all honesty I'm not a 100 percent informed on the monzante situation....it seems like a disgrace

If you like reading Haskin , I have to tell you , this isn't his usual writing
style . He sums it up well and it's back on his Bloodhorse blog .

tucker6
07-24-2013, 06:43 AM
I'm pretty sure it's not a crime to euthanize a sick or ailing animal that you own. It might not even be a crime to humanely euthanize a perfectly healthy animal that you own.

Hell, shelters do it all the time...
it is not a legal crime

FantasticDan
07-24-2013, 12:45 PM
Trainer defends his decision to euthanize:

http://www.drf.com/news/trainer-says-monzante-was-put-down-because-he-was-suffering

cj
07-24-2013, 01:08 PM
“Sometimes you got to make that call,” Thacker, 63, said. “I didn’t want to see him suffer anymore, and neither did my wife. Lord knows we loved that horse. He’d been good to me. It was like he was part of the family. It was my call.”

Yeah, sure, that is why he tried to dump him for 4k on a surface the horse had never run well on. Some love they had for the horse.

maclr11
07-24-2013, 01:23 PM
He was quoted to say that he wanted to make himself elegible for 5k starter allowances
He would have been tough in those
So from a non cynical point of view I sorta get the 4k thing
Who's gonna claim a 10yo gelding with lots of layoffs

cj
07-24-2013, 01:25 PM
He was quoted to say that he wanted to make himself elegible for 5k starter allowances
He would have been tough in those
So from a non cynical point of view I sorta get the 4k thing
Who's gonna claim a 10yo gelding with lots of layoffs

The skeptical part of me says other trainers know there is a starter series on turf for 5k horses coming up, and none of them bit.

highnote
07-24-2013, 01:47 PM
The skeptical part of me says other trainers know there is a starter series on turf for 5k horses coming up, and none of them bit.

Maybe they didn't make the connection?

cj
07-24-2013, 01:54 PM
Maybe they didn't make the connection?

Yeah, I'm sure they all missed it.

highnote
07-24-2013, 02:16 PM
I read Haskins' opinion piece and I read many of the comments below his piece and I read through the comments here.

I sense a lot of indignation toward the outcome and toward the trainer and owner. I see a lot of finger pointing.

This seems like an industry problem more than a trainer problem.

This sort of thing has been going on since the beginning of racing. Why hasn't anyone come up with a solution?

Seems to me a fee could be tacked on to a horse's entry fee every time it races and that fee could be put into a general fund to care for every horse that ever races.

Why isn't there a watchdog group that monitors every horse in every race? With today's datasets of racing info it would be a simple matter to follow every horse.

CJ -- this would be a good project for you. I'm sure many people would send you, say, $5 per month to use your database to keep track of these horses and send out alerts via a twitter feed. Maybe what is needed is to shame the owners and trainers into doing the right thing?

Maybe HANA could help out?

Mineshaft
07-24-2013, 02:25 PM
where is the starter series on the turf? someone please tell me..

that's the oldest excuse in the book..

cj
07-24-2013, 03:28 PM
This seems like an industry problem more than a trainer problem.

I've said as much in this thread and others. It is an ugly side of the sport that needs to be addressed eventually. It is a lot tougher to sweep this stuff under the rug these days than it was 20 or 30 years ago.

highnote
07-24-2013, 04:25 PM
I've said as much in this thread and others. It is an ugly side of the sport that needs to be addressed eventually. It is a lot tougher to sweep this stuff under the rug these days than it was 20 or 30 years ago.

300 years have passed. Hard to see this changing anytime soon. The reality is that there are very few people taking action to stop it. Its good that a journalist will write an occasional column to raise awareness, but by next week this will be forgotten until the next time it happens..

cj
07-24-2013, 04:27 PM
This One's for Phil could be heading down a similar path.

Stillriledup
07-24-2013, 04:39 PM
300 years have passed. Hard to see this changing anytime soon. The reality is that there are very few people taking action to stop it. Its good that a journalist will write an occasional column to raise awareness, but by next week this will be forgotten until the next time it happens..

Couldnt agree more, People scream and shout and let it all out until......something else comes along and then they scream and shout and let it all out about that.. The most unfortunate part of all of this? Nobody truly cares. Its fake outrage. Do you know how many times someone has posted on some message board about a crooked ride from a jock who didnt ask his horse all the way to the wire, a cheating trainer, blind stewards who need to be held accountable for making wrong decisions on inquiries, trainers and owners who need to be accountable for the horses that they own or some other "indignation" in the game and not ONE THING, not ONE MESSAGE, not ONE POST has ever been acted on.

As John Amos said in the 1980s movie Coming To America "This is America, Jack"

And IN America, you have pro athletes making MILLIONS of dollars by cheating....and when they get caught, they say "oops, sorry, didnt mean it" and yet still get to look at all those 0's in their bank accounts with nary a punishment. Same with trainers, some of them stick illegal chemicals into horses, run off with purses and betting money, get caught, say sorry (if that), get fined a grand and take a 30 day suspension and its all back to business as usual.

Its not America the Beautiful, its America the Business as Usual.

menifee
07-24-2013, 06:11 PM
This One's for Phil could be heading down a similar path.

Agreed - he looked awful.

nijinski
07-24-2013, 06:24 PM
Some people just lie all the time .

Please forgive the six counts of animal cruelty . Those dead and starving
horses were just dropped off .

He really loved Monzante so much , he was like family . We always put low
price tags on the family pets we love . The guy comes off as a real loser .

nijinski
07-24-2013, 07:06 PM
Certifiably Royal who has four screws in his leg is being purchased .
Trainer is willing to let him go for $2500.
Repoosted on FB by Julie Krone .
Former owner donated $1500 and Maggie Moss is going to donate the balance .
Not the first time Maggi has done this . There are some great fans out
there too !
Not sure , think he's been at Beaulah .

rastajenk
07-25-2013, 06:49 AM
When I started getting serious about this game back in the early 80's, I thought it was pretty neat when erstwhile stakes competitors dropped down to the River Downs level and ran there. I had no idea I was supposed to be appalled by it.

Cannon shell
07-25-2013, 07:11 AM
Certifiably Royal who has four screws in his leg is being purchased .
Trainer is willing to let him go for $2500.
Repoosted on FB by Julie Krone .
Former owner donated $1500 and Maggie Moss is going to donate the balance .
Not the first time Maggi has done this . There are some great fans out
there too !
Not sure , think he's been at Beaulah .
Trainer "willing" to let him go for $2500? What a swell guy. He just got beat 13 lengths for 4k.

nijinski
07-25-2013, 06:16 PM
Trainer "willing" to let him go for $2500? What a swell guy. He just got beat 13 lengths for 4k.

Classy people , what can I say .