PDA

View Full Version : Browsers

Tom
07-20-2013, 08:47 PM
Chromw was really a good option when it came out, but lately, it is really bad - it will have 4-5-6 processes running at the saem time, and noen of them respond. I keep getting pages unresponsive and that stupid Aw Snap screen.
Really ot a useable browser for mea, at least.

FF has long been useless - always slow, no match for the post office!
I would rather not use the web than have to suffer that mule of a program.

IE has been the only one that actually seems to perform satisfactorily.
Can't copt and paste from it, but at least you can visit web sites with it.
Now sites are not supporting IE...that leaves me out. IE is all I will use from now on.

Dave Schwartz
07-20-2013, 09:31 PM
I had this for awhile. Then I uninstalled and re-installed and it was fine.

Give it a try, Tom.

JustRalph
07-20-2013, 09:33 PM
Those "oh snaps" are probably from your computer running out of memory

Very common problem. How often are you rebooting? Reboot more often. Also kill all background crapola. Including deleting chrome cache/ cookies etc.

Chrome is the best, stick with it

TheEdge07
07-20-2013, 09:41 PM
Chromw was really a good option when it came out, but lately, it is really bad - it will have 4-5-6 processes running at the saem time, and noen of them respond. I keep getting pages unresponsive and that stupid Aw Snap screen.
Really ot a useable browser for mea, at least.

FF has long been useless - always slow, no match for the post office!
I would rather not use the web than have to suffer that mule of a program.

IE has been the only one that actually seems to perform satisfactorily.
Can't copt and paste from it, but at least you can visit web sites with it.
Now sites are not supporting IE...that leaves me out. IE is all I will use from now on.

Opera//

wilderness
07-20-2013, 10:23 PM
FF has long been useless

Hey Tom,
How goes it?

Your joking right?

What kind of connection you have and how much ram-memory does your computer have?

Adding ram will increase your internet speed dramatically.

Longshot6977
07-21-2013, 08:48 AM
Adding ram will increase your internet speed dramatically.

Your internet speed is determined by the bandwidth of your internet connection and hence, controlled by your ISP. Adding ram will usually speed up your PC, depending on how much you currently have and are adding, but will not actually increase your internet speed, but appears to be the result of the PC running better and faster.

The 1st thing to do though is to clean out your bloated and corrupted registry files. Corrupted reg files can slow down your computer, so try using an app like CCleaner or similar. Clean out all malware too to speed up the PC and the result can be quicker page loads.

Longshot6977
07-21-2013, 08:51 AM

Then no TimeformUS for you:confused: .

Tom
07-21-2013, 10:47 AM
I cleaned out everything in Chrome - what I thought CCCleaner was supposed to be doing, and there was a lot. I went back to Day 1 and dumped. Seems to run much better now. I made Chrome my default instead of FF and everything is better today. FF is history. I only used it for Download them all, and I can live with out that.

Thanks for the help, all!

Robert Goren
07-21-2013, 10:48 AM
I am like Tom. Every time somebody talks me into trying some other browser, I get nothing but headaches. Chrome is the only thing close IE and it has a long way to go. I know smart phones, etc are using other browsers and that is why some sites are not set up for IE. But I am still a PC user and those browsers still suck for PC use. I know there workarounds to make them work better and there are people here who will help with them. But I don't want to mess with them. If site doesn't support IE, then I am not going there. Maybe I am the loser, but they are too. It seems to me if you want a PC user to visit your site, you would support IE because by a wide margin most PC users still use IE.
I guess those sites have decided which audience they want to reach and that is their right. I was in business long enough to have a lot of people who nothing about it tell me how to run it that I am not going to do that to anyone else. It is their business and they can run it as they please. No matter what they do, they are going to lose some customers. They know that. If I am the one they lose, so be it.
In the case of TimeformUS.com. I switch to chrome to look at their product because a poster here is connected to it. It looks like a very fine product. I wish them well. It doesn't matter to me that they don't support IE. It doesn't fit my needs, so I was not going to use it much if at all. Again I wish them success.

jerry-g
07-21-2013, 11:54 AM
I learned a long time ago you don't mess with Texas nor with people's
browsers. It's a matter of choice and personal comfort zone. I like FF
because I have it fixed to go real fast. In fact, it just may be faster
than the speed of light. I can't check that out since I don't have a
light switch near my puter, but it just may be.
I can go anywhere on the web and if I land in a bad place, Spybot
pops up and warns me they are blocking the site. I just click them off.
The site that is. Any site I'm not sure of, Better Privacy lets me know
if it is unsatisfactory and again I just click them off. I block all third
party cookies and let CC Cleaner get all the rest once I'm done surfing.
Microsoft is the worst culprit for junking up your computer. They never
clean up after themselves. So I have McVista Force to get rid of all
the left over Windows junk including crash dumps and log files. Finally
I use the Junk Files Cleaner in Revro Uninstaller to get all the rest. It
is just good housekeeping methods.

PaceAdvantage
07-23-2013, 01:15 AM
I have found that if you "X" out of Chrome, it leaves processes running in the background. For how long, I have not had the patience to investigate.

However, if you click on the "Customize and Control Google Chrome" button in the upper right hand corner, and choose Exit at the bottom of the list, all Chrome processes will cease immediately. I don't know if this is a bug in the newest version or what...but it is something I noticed recently...

BlueShoe
07-23-2013, 01:41 AM
Tried Chrome a year or so ago, did not like it. Uninstalled it and went back to IE9, which is where I am today. Problem is, am starting to run into a few sites that do not like it. Also, and this is quite annoying, am unable to play video clips on YouTube. They start, play for a few seconds, and then cancel and display an error message. Unknown is if it is my old browser, or if there is another problem?

JustRalph
07-23-2013, 01:51 AM
Tried Chrome a year or so ago, did not like it. Uninstalled it and went back to IE9, which is where I am today. Problem is, am starting to run into a few sites that do not like it. Also, and this is quite annoying, am unable to play video clips on YouTube. They start, play for a few seconds, and then cancel and display an error message. Unknown is if it is my old browser, or if there is another problem?

Youtube is owned by google, who makes chrome.........starting to get the hint?

The wars are only just starting. When Microsoft started the "Scroogled" commercials and campaign, a new frontier was declared

jerry-g
07-23-2013, 03:19 AM
I'm not so sure that Video problems are caused entirely by the browser.
I get perfect video from all sites including you tube ones and my video
for the races on Twin Spires is also great.
One thing I know is that the browsers depend on add ins in order to
run video. If your shockwave flash is out of date it can cause problems.
I get notified whenever they have an update and I just click on install
now and they download the update and install it. At the same time
they will update the add in for my browser.
Another thing is you should check that your graphics card has the
latest driver. I have an Nvida G-Force card and I was surprised when
I checked and I was way out dated. I followed the instructions and got
the driver downloaded then ran it to upgrade my firmware. A world of
difference! The hardware guys are constantly trying to keep up with
all the changes going on with browsers and OS that it keeps them
busy.

Longshot6977
07-23-2013, 11:01 AM
If your shockwave flash is out of date it can cause problems.
I get notified whenever they have an update and I just click on install
now and they download the update and install it. At the same time
they will update the add in for my browser.

Better be careful downloading the Adobe Flashplayer upgrade. This is becoming very popular recently.

http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/fake-adobe-flash-update-installs-ransomware-performs-click-fraud

DeltaLover
07-23-2013, 11:09 AM
My favorite browsers are firefox (http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/) and lynx (http://lynx.browser.org/) .... Not planning of changing any time soon...

Magister Ludi
07-23-2013, 02:08 PM
https://www.ixquick.com/

rastajenk
07-23-2013, 03:28 PM
Youtube is owned by google, who makes chrome.........starting to get the hint?
I have suspected some retaliation on the part of Google for several months. Back when they used Cesar Chavez in its logo on Easter Sunday, I cancelled my google account and uninstalled Chrome (re-installed Firefox, which works fine for my uses...uses Google search though, defeating the purpose). Ever since, I have had one problem after another...some small, easy fixes; some a little tougher to figure out. The dots are connected, at least in my mind. :cool:

JustRalph
07-23-2013, 07:29 PM
I have suspected some retaliation on the part of Google for several months. Back when they used Cesar Chavez in its logo on Easter Sunday, I cancelled my google account and uninstalled Chrome (re-installed Firefox, which works fine for my uses...uses Google search though, defeating the purpose). Ever since, I have had one problem after another...some small, easy fixes; some a little tougher to figure out. The dots are connected, at least in my mind. :cool:

It's nothing blatant, except where they used to work to stay compatible under the hood, they have now publicly stated that they have reduced staffing levels in this area. That's code for......when it breaks......we will take our time to fix it and only if it's profitable for us.

Tom
07-23-2013, 10:31 PM
My internet experience is so much better now that I have abandoned FF.

traveler
07-23-2013, 10:37 PM
yes to CCleaner and SPYBOT, I'd also suggest adding Ghostery to your line of defense and just say no to every freaking toolbar that wants to get added to your browsers.

Also, with CCleaner it's easy to disable unneeded programs that want to load at startup.

Anything Google related is worse than the NSA.

Happy Motoring

JustRalph
07-23-2013, 10:55 PM
Anything Google related is worse than the NSA.

Happy Motoring

What does that mean? NSA is tapping Google and other providers upstream. Google and others do cooperate with NSA demands and have admitted it. But it appears they have been threatened often........so they all cooperate

judd
08-03-2013, 06:35 AM
used to hate internet explorer, but with windows 8 --perfect-no problems