PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga live video feed

highnote
07-20-2013, 11:57 AM
Is there a free live video feed for Saratoga?

RunForTheRoses
07-20-2013, 01:24 PM
At NYRA site you can only get live audio. TVG has the live video stream.

OTM Al
07-20-2013, 03:42 PM
You can get a NYRA Account to enable you to watch races even if you do not live in NY or CT. You can't bet with it if you don't live in those two states but you would be able to watch most of the racing action throughout the country and in England. The caveat is you have to sign up for this type of account in person at the track.

Stillriledup
07-20-2013, 03:55 PM
Current fans have to jump thru hoops just to see the races, it just doesnt seem right.

TheEdge07
07-20-2013, 04:13 PM
You can get a NYRA Account to enable you to watch races even if you do not live in NY or CT. You can't bet with it if you don't live in those two states but you would be able to watch most of the racing action throughout the country and in England. The caveat is you have to sign up for this type of account in person at the track.

You could also bet with Nyra if you live outside NY or OCT o,,but your wagers have to be placed by phone..I live in Florida and Nyra rewards is my adw.

OTM Al
07-20-2013, 05:26 PM
You could also bet with Nyra if you live outside NY or OCT o,,but your wagers have to be placed by phone..I live in Florida and Nyra rewards is my adw.

Didn't think they could do that. Wonder what convoluted law prevents you from using the website

TheEdge07
07-20-2013, 05:35 PM
Didn't think they could do that. Wonder what convoluted law prevents you from using the website

Been using them for over a year..you could also use yr phone to wager..pain in the ass....

highnote
07-20-2013, 08:00 PM
You would think with a popular signal like NYRA's they would provide a video feed for free to draw in more bettors.

Del Mar offers free video.

You can watch major sports on TV for free -- all you have to do is put up with advertisements.

Is there some NY law that says live racing from NYRA cannot be shown over the internet?

OTM Al
07-20-2013, 09:56 PM
You would think with a popular signal like NYRA's they would provide a video feed for free to draw in more bettors.

Del Mar offers free video.

You can watch major sports on TV for free -- all you have to do is put up with advertisements.

Is there some NY law that says live racing from NYRA cannot be shown over the internet?

There's a whole big section on simocasting in the regs so I'd guess there is something in there. Wasn't too long ago they couldn't show their own races on their ADW.

Grits
07-20-2013, 10:05 PM

I didn't know this...in all the years I've been watching NY racing. Signing up isn't a problem because I'm in NY so often. Hmmm.

Some_One
07-21-2013, 01:01 AM
Non Americans with a betfair account can watch it on BF's live video site.

highnote
07-21-2013, 04:17 AM
Non Americans with a betfair account can watch it on BF's live video site.

Given how opposed U.S. racing authorities are to betting exchanges, it is ironic that those with Betfair accounts can watch Saratoga racing, but U.S. citizens cannot. I was going to bet Saratoga this weekend until I found out there is no good live stream of their races.

The logic (or lack of logic) of NY racing never ceases to amaze me. I'm sure there is logic behind the decision not to make the NYRA feed available on the NYRA website, but I can't quite figure out what it is.

I told myself I was going to stop being critical of NYRA, but they make it so damn easy.

ronsmac
07-21-2013, 11:42 AM
Given how opposed U.S. racing authorities are to betting exchanges, it is ironic that those with Betfair accounts can watch Saratoga racing, but U.S. citizens cannot. I was going to bet Saratoga this weekend until I found out there is no good live stream of their races.

The logic (or lack of logic) of NY racing never ceases to amaze me. I'm sure there is logic behind the decision not to make the NYRA feed available on the NYRA website, but I can't quite figure out what it is.

I told myself I was going to stop being critical of NYRA, but they make it so damn easy.
No live video is disgraceful.

FantasticDan
07-21-2013, 11:51 AM
There's no law or rule preventing NYRA from streaming video on their site (NYS changed the law a few years back to allow it, it's been renewed annually, Finger Lakes streams for eg), but they don't so as to drive business to their ADW.

Tom
07-21-2013, 12:11 PM
It's like having a secret menu so you draw people into your diner. :rolleyes:
No video - inexcusable.

Stillriledup
07-21-2013, 01:09 PM
There's no law or rule preventing NYRA from streaming video on their site (NYS changed the law a few years back to allow it, it's been renewed annually, Finger Lakes streams for eg), but they don't so as to drive business to their ADW.

I wouldnt have so much of a problem with them withholding the signal so you sign up with their ADW, but not every US resident is eligible to sign up with them, right? Can NJ residents sign up with Nyra rewards? You would have to imagine that after NY, NJ is the state most likely to have a resident who wants to bet NYRA's races.

I don't know how NYRA rewards works, maybe anyone from all 50 US states can just pick up a phone with credit card in hand and sign up as easy as 123.

OTM Al
07-21-2013, 01:31 PM
I wouldnt have so much of a problem with them withholding the signal so you sign up with their ADW, but not every US resident is eligible to sign up with them, right? Can NJ residents sign up with Nyra rewards? You would have to imagine that after NY, NJ is the state most likely to have a resident who wants to bet NYRA's races.

I don't know how NYRA rewards works, maybe anyone from all 50 US states can just pick up a phone with credit card in hand and sign up as easy as 123.
http://www.nyrarewards.com/new_members/faqs.aspx

highnote
07-21-2013, 01:56 PM
http://www.nyrarewards.com/new_members/faqs.aspx

Thanks Al. Good info here.

One thing that bothers me about NY State and NYRA (and it's hard to say who the culprit is here. I suspect both) is that only NY residents can bet over the internet using the NYRA Rewards account.

Now, any resident of any state can have an account with NYRA Rewards. However, it isn't clear if a resident from say, Florida, could login to the NYRA Rewards account and watch video, even if they couldn't bet. I don't see that addressed on the FAQ page.

An out-of-state resident can use the NYRA Rewards account while they are at the track. I would have to believe that the population of people who are out-of-state residents with a NYRA Rewards account and who bet on-track is very small. Because if you are an out-of-state resident then you may as well have an account with an ADW that allows you to bet over the internet wherever you are -- not just at a NYRA track.

It doesn't even seem like it is worth the time to go through the red-tape of opening up an out-of-state account that can only be used while you are at the track. Only a bureaucrat could come up with this restriction.

So I still don't see the logic of not making the video feed available.

One possible reason might be because NYRA worries about illegal gambling operations taking bets on their races. But even that doesn't make sense because anyone with a NYRA Rewards account can re-broadcast the video to the illegal gambling operation. If a person or group of people is running an illegal gambling operation the last thing they are worried about is rebroadcasting the NYRA signal illegally. So I don't think this is the reason.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

Stillriledup
07-21-2013, 02:08 PM
Thanks Al. Good info here.

One thing that bothers me about NY State and NYRA (and it's hard to say who the culprit is here. I suspect both) is that only NY residents can bet over the internet using the NYRA Rewards account.

Now, any resident of any state can have an account with NYRA Rewards. However, it isn't clear if a resident from say, Florida, could login to the NYRA Rewards account and watch video, even if they couldn't bet. I don't see that addressed on the FAQ page.

An out-of-state resident can use the NYRA Rewards account while they are at the track. I would have to believe that the population of people who are out-of-state residents with a NYRA Rewards account and who bet on-track is very small. Because if you are an out-of-state resident then you may as well have an account with an ADW that allows you to bet over the internet wherever you are -- not just at a NYRA track.

It doesn't even seem like it is worth the time to go through the red-tape of opening up an out-of-state account that can only be used while you are at the track. Only a bureaucrat could come up with this restriction.

So I still don't see the logic of not making the video feed available.

One possible reason might be because NYRA worries about illegal gambling operations taking bets on their races. But even that doesn't make sense because anyone with a NYRA Rewards account can re-broadcast the video to the illegal gambling operation. If a person or group of people is running an illegal gambling operation the last thing they are worried about is rebroadcasting the NYRA signal illegally. So I don't think this is the reason.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

I doubt it has anything to do with illegal gambling, it probably has to do with politics, red tape and state laws.

For many years, the NFL would only permit a person in a local market to watch their 'hometown' game, now, anyone with a satellite dish and a bookie can enjoy some NFL action on Sunday and watch any game their little heart desires.

Probably the 64 dollar question would be if NYRA gave away their signal for free to any Tom, Dick and Harry who wanted it, would that cost them money somehow?

Longshot6977
07-21-2013, 09:13 PM
The NYRA Rewards sign up page has a dropdown box for your state with only 2 choices, CT and NY. But it says other states can enroll. How can this be done then if you live in NJ or elsewhere?

From the FAQ page:
Q: I don’t live in New York, why can't I use telephone or Internet wagering?
A:
Internet wagering is restricted to only New York State residents but out of state residents can access live streaming video and their rewards points by logging into nyrarewards.com. NYRA may, in the future, be able to offer Internet wagering accounts to the residents of other states.

OTM Al
07-21-2013, 11:17 PM
The NYRA Rewards sign up page has a dropdown box for your state with only 2 choices, CT and NY. But it says other states can enroll. How can this be done then if you live in NJ or elsewhere?

From the FAQ page:
Q: I don’t live in New York, why can't I use telephone or Internet wagering?
A:
Internet wagering is restricted to only New York State residents but out of state residents can access live streaming video and their rewards points by logging into nyrarewards.com. NYRA may, in the future, be able to offer Internet wagering accounts to the residents of other states.
This is where I believe that you have to sign up on track. Don't ask me why, don't know.