PDA

View Full Version : How Many Escalators in Wyoming?

highnote
07-18-2013, 11:14 AM
Who knew... the State of Wyoming has two escalators.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/07/the-state-of-wyoming-has-2-escalators/277891/

In 2008, Megan Lee -- then a reporter at the Star Tribune in Casper, Wyoming, and the author of the paper's "Answer Girl" column -- received the following query: "How many escalators are there in Casper? In Wyoming?"

DJofSD
07-18-2013, 11:34 AM
Alex, I'll take potpourri for $1000.

Robert Goren
07-18-2013, 11:58 AM
I would think that they would be licensed and inspected by the state just like elevators. Maybe in Wyoming, the state doesn't license and inspect elevators either.

BlueShoe
07-18-2013, 02:30 PM
Just knew that there was something else that i liked about Wyoming, but that it had slipped my mind, now i know. :ThmbUp: ;) Any state that has only a bit over half a million total population, and whose largest city is only 60,000 holds much appeal for an old contrarian like myself. On my brief time spent there found it to be quite pleasant, and liked it. There is of course, the weather factor. Many say that the wind rather than the cold and snow is the larger irritation, but that it can be gotten used to. Then there is the political climate, which is a huge plus for myself. Wyoming is one of the most conservative states in the Union, and the deadly infection of Progressivism (Ie Marxism) has only a tiny foothold and little influence. The citizens of Wyoming still take the Constitution seriously. :ThmbUp:

highnote
07-18-2013, 02:38 PM
I've always loved visiting Wyoming. Been there many times. One of my favorite camping spots is in the Northern Medicine Bow National Forest. It's on a small stream enclosed by mountains on three sides. A rancher told me about it once. So only locals seem to know about it. It's paradise -- at least in the summer.

When I was a kid we had friends who had bought some land somewhere near there (Laramie Peak) and built an A-frame. They spent the summers there. They had no electricity or running water. Not sure why they wanted to live like that 3 months out of the year, but they did.

I have great memories of our visits with them. I suppose they have great memories of their time there, too. That's probably why the father spent so much time there with his family.

TJDave
07-18-2013, 03:05 PM
Back in the mid 50's a new clothing store opened in my hometown that had a Peelle Motorstair. Us kids spent hours riding up then running down the stairs to start over. Sometimes we'd get brave and ride backwards.

Those were good times.

highnote
07-18-2013, 05:05 PM
Back in the mid 50's a new clothing store opened in my hometown that had a Peelle Motorstair. Us kids spent hours riding up then running down the stairs to start over. Sometimes we'd get brave and ride backwards.

Those were good times.

RARE -- Peelle Motorstairs

JLIUP87n228

TJDave
07-18-2013, 06:11 PM
The motorstair we rode was different. It had large rounded rope-like handrails (black) with flourescent green trim.

sandpit
07-19-2013, 12:36 AM
I've been lucky enough to visit 49 of our 50 states, and though I live east of the Mississippi, Wyoming is my favorite. There is incredible beauty in all four corners and across the state. God blessed this country with many gifts, every American should take some time in their life to experience the Equality State.

kingfin66
07-19-2013, 12:53 AM
Last week, I drove from Idaho Falls, ID to Jackson Hole, WY, then on through Grand Teton National Park and into Yellowstone. One word describes the scenery I was fortunate enough to see: STUNNING. It really is worth a trip. Best of all, escalators aren't necessary because none of the buildings are big enough to need them. My only wish is that I had had more time in Wyoming. The next time through, and there will be a next time, I want to try a rafting trip. That looks like it would be a blast.

highnote
07-19-2013, 11:21 AM
I've been lucky enough to visit 49 of our 50 states, and though I live east of the Mississippi, Wyoming is my favorite. There is incredible beauty in all four corners and across the state. God blessed this country with many gifts, every American should take some time in their life to experience the Equality State.

I've been to 49 out of 50, also, and agree that Wyoming is my favorite. I have been threatening to buy a vacation home there for years. Colorado is a close second, but there are too many people. I really like the fact that in Wyoming you can drive on a highway at night and not see another car for miles!

Tom
07-19-2013, 12:40 PM
I was on an escalator once when the power went out.
I was stranded there for three hours!

highnote
07-19-2013, 01:16 PM
I was on an escalator once when the power went out.
I was stranded there for three hours!

LOL

Note to self: Avoid escalators and moving walkways during thunderstorms.

jerry-g
07-19-2013, 01:37 PM
I still remember my trips to Wyoming. It was the Tetons that captured
me. No need for escalators there. In Jackson Hole, they use to hang a man every night
in the center of town at 6PM. Not really of course but in fun. I think the
noose was hooked onto a board on his back. It did look real though.
Afterwards, we went to "Dirty Jacks Theater" and saw "Annie Get Your
Gun" and I had a severe burn to my legs due to 15min of sun in that
thin atmosphere. My sister in law slapped my leg when something
funny happened and I think if the theater is still around you might still
be able to hear the echo of my scream. We also had a pancake breakfast
with the Indians in a Tee-Pee. The dance hall girls at Cody, Wyoming
were a trip. They danced out of a saloon onto a wooden sidewalk and
of course raised up those long dresses in front. Mirror lake at Jackson
Hole was just what you would expect. We also saw "Hells half acre" a
hole in the ground that some entrepreneur was charging $1 to see.
Before Wyoming, we stopped at "Custer's Last Stand" I believe in
North Dakota. Getting there is half the fun. Also a stop at "Wounded
Knee". All in all, Wyoming's got a lot going for it in my opinion.

BlueShoe
07-19-2013, 04:11 PM
For the last seveal years a trip at the top of my "Bucket List" has been to drive from my SoCal home to Wyoming, avoiding interstate and major highways whenever possible, through the remote parts of Utah, Colorado, and Wyoming to the town of Cody. Once there, intend to spend at least two days in the Buffalo Bill Historical Center, a complex often referred to as the Smithsonian of the West. After that, west into Yellowstone NP with it's teeming wildlife for an extended visit. Hikes into the backcountry high priority, would very much like to see a wild grizzly or a wolf while there. After YNP, south to see the Tetons and then home a different route.

Now, the hitch is finding the time and moolah to do all this, and also a pleasant female companion would be a big plus. Next decent priced Pick-5 or Pick-4 I hit could mean Wyoming here I come. :ThmbUp:

highnote
07-19-2013, 06:53 PM
For the last seveal years a trip at the top of my "Bucket List" has been to drive from my SoCal home to Wyoming, avoiding interstate and major highways whenever possible, through the remote parts of Utah, Colorado, and Wyoming to the town of Cody.

I highly recommend driving across Route 50 in Nevada -- the loneliest highway in America. It spans a series of basins and ranges. Amazing drive.

In Colorado you must visit Rocky Mountain National Park -- the Crown Jewel of the National Park system. Make sure to drive across Trail Ridge Road. At one time it was the highest highway in America at 12,183 feet at its peak. Make sure to stop at the visitor center midway across. You're almost guaranteed to see elk grazing near the glaciers. You might even get caught in a summer snow storm! Plenty of deer to see as well as an occasional moose and mountain sheep.

My favorite town in the west is on the western side of Trail Ridge. Its called Grand Lake. It's a great place to spend a day or two and is right at the entrance to the park.

By the way... you might want to buy the annual pass to the National Parks. Park fees can add up quickly!

My favorite road leading into Yellowstone is Beartooth Pass from Montana to Wyoming. The views are incredible. Hard to know which is more spectacular -- Beartooth or Trail Ridge. Beartooth is a little scarier -- if that makes any difference.

I have always meant to get to the Buffalo Bill Historical Center, but never made it. I visited his ranch in North Platte, Nebraska which was very interesting and well-maintained.

I've driven by the Grand Tetons on the east and west and they are beautiful, but in my opinion, they are not as beautiful as the mountains in Rocky Mountain National Park.

I've never been to Jackson Hole. I get the impression its like Aspen, CO. I try to avoid tourist towns with lots of people while I'm on vacation. I prefer talking to locals more than people who are in town to stay in their second, third or fourth homes.

I prefer the wilderness to tourist towns -- although, I make an exception for Grand Lake. Estes Park on the eastern side of RMNP is where most tourists go. Grand Lake is a hidden gem. Shhhhhhhh! Don't tell anyone!!!! :)