PDA

View Full Version : Ever happen to you?

TheEdge07
07-16-2013, 11:41 PM
Waitng on line to place your wager..The person in front of you calls out his bet and it just happens to be the horse you like....You change your mind and your original bet wins...
My friend Larry wears ear plugs to avoid such a scenario...

Stillriledup
07-16-2013, 11:45 PM
I havent bet with tellers in a long time (yet, i'm still, to this day, affected by their presence re: 7 second cancels) but i can't remember ever switching a bet because someone bet the horse i liked.

iceknight
07-16-2013, 11:46 PM
Waitng on line to place your wager..The person in front of you calls out his bet and it just happens to be the horse you like....You change your mind and your original bet wins...
My friend Larry wears ear plugs to avoid such a scenario...No, but really, what you mean is.. the person in front calls out "another horse that you like" .. because you were going to bet on the horse you liked initially, right?

But, this has happened to me reading the Selections forum or twitter feed...sometimes it has also resulted in a win.. no big deal, it's horse racing, anything can happen

Wickel
07-16-2013, 11:49 PM
What's wrong with someone else liking the same horse you do?

wiffleball whizz
07-17-2013, 12:07 AM

75 percent of the time this happens I walk away or go the other way....Foxwoods Racebook shift manger used to love when I did this...

Stillriledup
07-17-2013, 12:18 AM
What's wrong with someone else liking the same horse you do?

If the guy who is betting your horse has holes in his shoes and can't rub 2 nickels together, well, you might just be on the 'wrong' horse. :D

RunForTheRoses
07-17-2013, 09:16 AM
If the guy who is betting your horse has holes in his shoes and can't rub 2 nickels together, well, you might just be on the 'wrong' horse. :D

You sound like Damon Runyon Foxworthy. If you're behind this guy in line....
you might want to change your bet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PLSyFzk-6g

Fingal
07-17-2013, 12:10 PM
Just out of curiosity, why are you paying attention to what someone else is betting ? I've seen a few confrontations break out over someone feeling the person behind them is trying to listen in to their business.

Ocala Mike
07-17-2013, 12:44 PM
We had a guy in our outfit at the track who felt like he had to have the only ticket on a winning horse. There were anecdotes galore about him changing his bet or not betting because some little old lady in front of him on line called out his horse's number.

The psychology of this game can be fascinating.

thaskalos
07-17-2013, 01:56 PM

I don't know about that. He might be due for a winner...

BELMONT 6-6-09
07-17-2013, 03:37 PM
I have no problem with a player betting my horse,(however), I still can't get out of the habit of looking closely at a big wager on another horse in the race. though these situations are not a frequent as years ago when the majority of the large wagers were made at the track.

burnsy
07-17-2013, 03:57 PM
We had a guy in our outfit at the track who felt like he had to have the only ticket on a winning horse. There were anecdotes galore about him changing his bet or not betting because some little old lady in front of him on line called out his horse's number.

The psychology of this game can be fascinating.

Ain't that the truth? Who gives a shit what other people are betting? Its not a lottery....is the little old lady or bum betting so much that it changes the odds? By the way, i knew a guy that looked that way on purpose.....during Saratoga he lived at Lees campgrounds, dressed like an old bum but bet like Diamond Jim. He would play about 3 races a week........but when he did bet, he bet the farm and he was good. He would wait for a race with a "false" fave and a horse he was waiting on running. The guy lived in a beat up, pick up, camper and had holes in his shoes. He looked like he had two nickles, but he had a wad that could choke 3 horses.............hes not around any more but he taught me that a good gambler isn't fooled by "appearances" and things are not always seen on the surface....if you are worried about what every one else is doing....you'll suck at this game. Show me someone that thinks this way, and i'll show you a person that can't pick their freaking ass.

BELMONT 6-6-09
07-17-2013, 04:03 PM
Ain't that the truth? Who gives a shit what other people are betting? Its not a lottery....is the little old lady or bum betting so much that it changes the odds? By the way, i knew a guy that looked that way on purpose.....during Saratoga he lived at Lees campgrounds, dressed like an old bum but bet like Diamond Jim. He would play about 3 races a week........but when he did bet, he bet the farm and he was good. He would wait for a race with a "false" fave and a horse he was waiting on running. The guy lived in a beat up, pick up, camper and had holes in his shoes. He looked like he had two nickles, but he had a wad that could choke 3 horses.............hes not around any more but he taught me that a good gambler isn't fooled by "appearances" and things are not always seen on the surface....if you are worried about what every one else is doing....you'll suck at this game. Show me someone that thinks this way, and i'll show you a person that can't pick their freaking ass.

Great story. I love to hear the ones about the ultra disciplined bettors who can wait and put their money on the line when it counts. And in your example he had a pulse on the crowds mistakes as he wagered only with an edge (the vulnerable favorite).

pondman
07-17-2013, 04:09 PM

This doesn't happen to me.

It's gone the other way however. Most of the people who know me at the OTB know my style of play. When they see me, a number of them know what I'm playing without asking. They're in it for the short term, and usually chasing a loss. I'm looking at the meet, such as Sacramento, and trying to hit a few of the high points of the 2 week meet. I'm swinging for the fences. It has cause me to offer them out of courtesy a Gentlemen's cocktail. I really don't won't other people around me to lose money.

PoloUK6108
07-18-2013, 12:33 AM
I usually bet at a machine. Although I don't change my own wagers, sometimes I'll look over someones shoulder and see that they're "keying" a horse in several boxes, and will put a few bucks on it.

letswastemoney
07-18-2013, 03:04 AM
If it's a small track like Sacramento, maybe I could understand being paranoid. But at a big track like Saratoga or Del Mar, who cares if someone wants to bet your horse?

DeltaLover
07-18-2013, 10:19 AM

Thanks to my NYRA card it has been years since I have placed a bet with a teller. Considering the way I am betting today it would have been next to impossible for me to bet through the windows... Besides this I pay absolutely no attention to what other people are betting or thinking. Even if they are trainers or any other type of an insider.

Several years ago, a friend of mine, who happens to be a good trainer here in NY, gave me $600 to place a bet for him on his entry, consisting of two state bred fillies trying open company for first time.

Guess, what...

I placed his bet and completetly ignored is horses in my own betting!

Even if the horse speaks to me in Greek, telling me he is winning today, it will not change my opinion...

classhandicapper
07-18-2013, 10:33 AM

I never change my bet, but a sense of doom will sometimes come over me when certain people like the same horse as me. It's kind of like that guy from the movie "A Bronx Tale" (one of my all time favorites).

:rolleyes:

PoloUK6108
07-18-2013, 07:55 PM
I never change my bet, but a sense of doom will sometimes come over me when certain people like the same horse as me. It's kind of like that guy from the movie "A Bronx Tale" (one of my all time favorites).

:rolleyes:

Thought of this when i first saw the thread :D

"the tellers sometimes would give him his tickets already ripped up"