PDA

View Full Version : White Guilt

magwell
07-15-2013, 12:53 PM
A belief, often subconscious, among white liberals that being white is, in and of itself, a great transgression against the rest of the world for which one must spend their life making atonement. It is often exemplified by embracing the cultures and philosophies of various other ethnic groups while neglecting one's own roots........;)

NJ Stinks
07-15-2013, 01:09 PM
A belief, often subconscious, among white liberals that being white is, in and of itself, a great transgression against the rest of the world for which one must spend their life making atonement. It is often exemplified by embracing the cultures and philosophies of various other ethnic groups while neglecting one's own roots........;)

I think you do a fine job ignoring reality, Magwell.

elysiantraveller
07-15-2013, 01:12 PM

:eek: :eek:

Wow...

magwell
07-15-2013, 01:13 PM
I think you do a fine job ignoring reality, Magwell. Guilty as charged......Can we still be friends ?

FantasticDan
07-15-2013, 01:14 PM
In related guilt, I often subconsciously feel I'm transgressing against the rest of the world when I wear white after Labor Day.. :p

JustRalph
07-15-2013, 01:31 PM
:eek: :eek:

Wow...

Wow? Really? You never heard of this theory?

magwell
07-15-2013, 02:23 PM
I think you do a fine job ignoring reality, Magwell. Maybe I'm watching too much MSNBC.....??

BlueShoe
07-15-2013, 02:42 PM
Maybe I'm watching too much MSNBC.....??
No, you have presented too much reality for leftists to accept. Your opening remarks were right on target. Many of we conservatives have known this for decades.

elysiantraveller
07-15-2013, 02:56 PM
Wow? Really? You never heard of this theory?

I have. I just expect people to look deeper.. Silly me..

Hell, we live in 'Murica where preemptive war is legal but preemptive self-defense isn't.

Stillriledup
07-15-2013, 04:08 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_guilt

thaskalos
07-15-2013, 04:15 PM

Has it been proven that the conservatives are immune to such a condition?

And might it be possible to "embrace the cultures and philosophies of various other ethic groups"...while still keeping our own roots in mind?

delayjf
07-15-2013, 04:25 PM
Has it been proven that the conservatives are immune to such a condition?

As a conservative and speaking only for myself, I don't feel guilty one bit.

thaskalos
07-15-2013, 04:30 PM
As a conservative and speaking only for myself, I don't feel guilty one bit.

I am a liberal...and I don't feel any guilt either. I am just wondering if this "condition" crosses philosophical and political lines...or if it's more contained...

Ocala Mike
07-15-2013, 05:10 PM
thas, I don't think this kind of thinking is part of the conservative mindset. Didn't John Kenneth Galbraith say it best:

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

NJ Stinks
07-15-2013, 07:11 PM
Guilty as charged......Can we still be friends ?

Of course! Some of my most misguided friends are conservative. :ThmbUp:

Marshall Bennett
07-15-2013, 07:56 PM
I'm not the least bit guilty about my beliefs. I believe many that are guilty are likewise unwilling to express their beliefs for that very reason. They therefore often tend to agree with the mainstream just to present a clean image.
At the present rate, the white man will be the first race to become extinct in this nation if we're not destroyed first by war. Good luck with those beliefs then.

Tom
07-15-2013, 10:23 PM
Those who should feel guilty are the perpetual victims.
No one around today owned slaves or was one.
Time to move on.

Some of the comments I have heard since Saturday really show how totally helpless some people are. How really stupid many people are.

Guilt? Nope.
Pity? Yeah. Some folks are never to amount to anything but losers.

classhandicapper
07-16-2013, 03:30 PM
thas, I don't think this kind of thinking is part of the conservative mindset. Didn't John Kenneth Galbraith say it best:

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

I thought most of them were searching for an economic justification for their beliefs which in turn generally translates into a long term moral justification.

The key point being long term because I think that's partly what separates economic conservatives from economic liberals.

Economic liberals tend to be more interested writing laws, creating programs, transferring wealth etc... now to satisfy economic and social needs now while conservatives tend to be more interested in allowing time/markets to meet those needs over 10, 20, 30.... years because they believe it will typically be done more effectively and efficiently.

Tom
07-16-2013, 03:38 PM
Some of the things I have heard people saying on TV this week are scary - scary that we allow such obviously stupid people to walk among us.

jhilden
07-16-2013, 06:11 PM
Former Mayor of Philadelphia Frank Rizzo said it best-
"A conservative is a liberal who got mugged the night before"

Ocala Mike
07-16-2013, 07:00 PM
The key point being long term because I think that's partly what separates economic conservatives from economic liberals.

The counter to that was the famous quote by Keynes, "In the long run, we're all dead."