PDA

View Full Version : Hoofprints Walk of Fame Unveiled at Saratoga

PaceAdvantage
07-13-2013, 06:47 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/79369/hoofprints-walk-of-fame-unveiled-at-saratoga

The New York Racing Association and the Saratoga 150 Committee unveiled their Hoofprints Walk of Fame July 12 honoring the most accomplished Thoroughbreds to compete at Saratoga Race Course during its 150-year history.

The new attraction commemorates the most prolific and notable horses to have raced at the historic track. Modeled after the Hollywood Walk of Fame, it is one component of a summer-long celebration to commemorate the 150th anniversary of Thoroughbred racing at The Spa.I think this is an awesome idea. But when I read the list of the inaugural inductees, I was hoping Holy Bull would be on the list. But then I thought, well, although Holy Bull was a monster and he did win one of the more amazing Travers stakes ever run, there will probably be enough older "legends of the turf" that deserve that hoofprint ahead of him...

But then I saw a few of the names (contemporaries no less) on the list that got in ahead of him...

Heavenly Prize? No way...

Go For Wand? Very borderline in my opinion, but I understand why of course.

Sky Beauty? At first I was shocked that Sky Beauty was on the list ahead of Holy Bull, but looking over her record again, I'm less outraged, but still think Holy Bull deserved a spot over her.

Any other opinions out there? Of course I'm biased, which is why I'm looking for folks to set me straight here...

gheuks
07-13-2013, 07:02 PM
Rachel Alexandra??

PaceAdvantage
07-13-2013, 07:03 PM
Rachel Alexandra??She'd definitely make my complaint list if she were on there ahead of the Bull.

devilsbag
07-13-2013, 07:16 PM
I understand your Concern about Holy Bull, but for example, Damascus and Gallant Man didn't make it this round either.

Clearly the emphasis was on multiple Spa victories.

OTM Al
07-13-2013, 07:22 PM
I understand your Concern about Holy Bull, but for example, Damascus and Gallant Man didn't make it this round either.

Clearly the emphasis was on multiple Spa victories.

Was just about to say this. Posted earlier about a horse named Eight Thirty. Hadn't heard of him but he really racked up some at Saratoga. Might have the best group of wins of the lot taking the Travers, Whitney and Saratoga Handicap all at age 3 after winning the Special at 2.

gheuks
07-13-2013, 07:27 PM
Fourstardave. A Saratoga legend

taxicab
07-13-2013, 08:55 PM
Really cool thread.
Well done Mr. Pace.
How about:

Buckpasser
Colin
Dr. Fager
Lure
Top Flight

And from the "for what it's worth" category....
The very first set of Hoofprints on the Walk of Fame would belong to Native Dancer.

PaceAdvantage
07-13-2013, 09:03 PM
Clearly the emphasis was on multiple Spa victories.I guess you're right...my knee-jerk reaction now seems a little silly in hindsight.

And with Michael Veitch as the selection committee chairman, a man who once wrote THIS PIECE (http://www.saratogian.com/articles/2008/12/22/sports/doc4950693f8e40c569115210.txt), I should have known that something other than monster horses with at least one monster win at Saratoga was not necessarily what they were looking for in the inaugural walk...

devilsbag
07-13-2013, 11:09 PM
I'm sure they'll get to them down the road...

Buckpasser is an interesting oversight, as is General Assembly. Both have a Hopeful-Travers double, but General Assembly has a Saratoga Special and an allowance win as well, plus the 10f track record.

nijinski
07-14-2013, 01:03 AM
Prove Out has a track record there . Another outstanding horse he should be included .
I agree with many here and I agree also that likely many others will be included down the road .

SharpCat
07-14-2013, 06:13 PM
Fourstardave. A Saratoga legend

The Sulton of Saratoga.

lB1Lj1U4u3M

nijinski
07-14-2013, 06:27 PM
The Sulton of Saratoga.

lB1Lj1U4u3M

Good One , thanks for posting this . The Spa did the right thing by
having him buried there . His story can make you teary , especially the awfull day he died at the track for an appearance .

Such a pretty boy ham Too :)

jefftune
07-14-2013, 08:23 PM
I'll never forget when they paraded him over to Siro's for the FOURSTARDAVE WAY dedication.

andtheyreoff
07-14-2013, 09:26 PM
I'd imagine it would be for horses who had multiple stakes wins at Saratoga- so while Rachel Alexandra and Holy Bull both had memorable wins there, they only recorded one win apiece.

RaceBookJoe
07-14-2013, 09:28 PM
I think he only had 1 win at Saratoga, but a pretty big one...Upset ? Any thoughts?

iceknight
07-15-2013, 07:59 PM

Clearly the emphasis was on multiple Spa victories. but clearly, there is cause for Concern..... "Durkin"

PaceAdvantage
07-15-2013, 08:01 PM
I understand your Concern about Holy Bull, Damn...can't believe I missed that...

iceknight
07-15-2013, 08:55 PM
Damn...can't believe I missed that... Yeah, I couldn't believe it when I saw how easily played into that great race call. I have to thank you for talking about Holy Bull a lot, otherwise I may not have stumbled upon him yet!
the caller was Durkin, right?

PaceAdvantage
07-15-2013, 09:08 PM
Yes, the one and only Tommy D...