PDA

View Full Version : 33 members...and 177 guests!?

thaskalos
07-13-2013, 03:56 PM
A few minutes ago I logged on to this website via my telephone, and saw that there were 210 viewers at the handicapping forum...a large number judging by recent history. The general horse racing discussion forum usually attracts a larger audience than the handicapping side does.

When I saw 210 people on the handicapping side, I assumed that a new, exciting topic had been introduced...to explain the sudden increase in attendance.

But then I saw that no new topic of great intetest had been introduced...and that 177 of the 210 who were viewing the forum were lurkers rather than members. And I thought that...if some of those lurkers would decide to become members and contributors themselves...then we'd have much more interesting and diverse handicapping discussions than we do now.

Dive in folks...the water is fine.

Stillriledup
07-13-2013, 04:06 PM
Exactly! Time to sign up and contribute!

Where's Todd Schrupp? Where's Rich Perloff? Where's Gino? Can't any of these gents sign up and chime in? We don't bite!

Tom Cassidy, where are you? Dave "ice cold" Weaver? Cmon Dave, dive in!

wiffleball whizz
07-13-2013, 04:39 PM
Exactly! Time to sign up and contribute!

Where's Todd Schrupp? Where's Rich Perloff? Where's Gino? Can't any of these gents sign up and chime in? We don't bite!

Tom Cassidy, where are you? Dave "ice cold" Weaver? Cmon Dave, dive in!

Maybe bombs away bomb can email rich perloff when he's on tvg And get on board.....rich perloff seems like a good guy and pretty solid player

Overlay
07-13-2013, 04:46 PM
716 guests online as I write this (over four times the number of members)

Stillriledup
07-13-2013, 05:02 PM
Maybe bombs away bomb can email rich perloff when he's on tvg And get on board.....rich perloff seems like a good guy and pretty solid player

I know for sure that i've e mailed Gino and Rich at least one time in the past and mentioned PA. I probably wanted them to comment on a thread over here or something like that. If we keep mentioning this place to them via e mail, they'll at least check it out, ya know, to see what the all the fuss is. And, if they're lurking, there's a small shot that they'll sign up and contribute. Its really no different than twitter, those guys all have twitter accounts, they interact, its not like it would be any big deal...if legendary racing people like Vic Stauffer, Peter Berry, Mark Patterson, Barry Meadow, Ernie Dahlman and of course Andy Serling can post, there's no reason for them to stay away.

wiffleball whizz
07-13-2013, 05:11 PM
I believe Rich p and Gino and them know about this site.....to bad PA can't see whose who as guests that are lurking....

These lurkers should get on board a little bit the water is fine!!

speed
07-13-2013, 05:15 PM
I think some guests are already members. If you are not logged in ur a guest when viewing. When ready to post then you log in.

cj
07-13-2013, 05:17 PM
I would guess a whole lot of guests are bots. This site gets plenty of traffic so its a target.

Longshot6977
07-13-2013, 05:46 PM
I told my friend to sign up here a few times. Everytime he tries (3 attempts in last month) he said the site says it is not accepting new members at this time. Could that be the problem? I find that very odd unless he is at the wrong site. I haven't checked it myself though.

OCF
07-13-2013, 05:46 PM
A few minutes ago I logged on to this website via my telephone, and saw that there were 210 viewers at the handicapping forum...a large number judging by recent history. The general horse racing discussion forum usually attracts a larger audience than the handicapping side does.

When I saw 210 people on the handicapping side, I assumed that a new, exciting topic had been introduced...to explain the sudden increase in attendance.

But then I saw that no new topic of great intetest had been introduced...and that 177 of the 210 who were viewing the forum were lurkers rather than members. And I thought that...if some of those lurkers would decide to become members and contributors themselves...then we'd have much more interesting and diverse handicapping discussions than we do now.

Just wait til I post my groundbreaking, pool-taking-downing new handicapping innovation!

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: on everything said above!

cj
07-13-2013, 05:48 PM
I told my friend to sign up here a few times. Everytime he tries (3 attempts in last month) he said the site says it is not accepting new members at this time. Could that be the problem? I find that very odd unless he is at the wrong site. I haven't checked it myself though.

I heard that too once, but I went and checked and was able to register.

(I used the name wiffleball whizz)

OCF
07-13-2013, 05:51 PM

I had a small issue with registering, e-mailed PA, he was very accomodating and got me squared away.

OCF
07-13-2013, 05:53 PM

good one

Clocker
07-13-2013, 06:00 PM

I just registered several days ago, after trying for more than a week. I sent an e-mail about it to the address listed under "Contact Us" at the bottom of the page, and got a response a day or two later that the problem had been fixed.

wiffleball whizz
07-13-2013, 06:36 PM

Hahahahahahahahahaha.......I carry my weight around here....

Speaking of sites that are not accepting new members I think you may have heard of one......actually you may know it very well :lol: :lol: :lol:

Leap
07-13-2013, 06:41 PM
Usually just someone who reads all the insight and tries to keep up with all the latest news. Thanks for all the wonderful posts. Great forum -- I'll definitely try to post more.

Light
07-13-2013, 06:56 PM
716 guests online as I write this (over four times the number of members)

Many sites like this have software to report many more members than there actually are online to attract advertising. This is one of them. Old trick.

PaceAdvantage
07-13-2013, 06:58 PM
Many sites like this have software to report many more members than there actually are online to attract advertising. This is one of them. Old trick.Categorically false. This site uses the stock vBulletin way of reporting online members. You have a problem with that, take it up with vBulletin.

You people who think you know it all are good for nothing but a laugh...

And not once has any advertiser asked me about how many members/guests vBulletin is reporting...they always ask for site-wide metrics such as unique visitors, etc.

PICSIX
07-13-2013, 07:00 PM

My brother had the same problem.

PaceAdvantage
07-13-2013, 07:02 PM
This is funny...in one thread, I have one guy accusing me of juicing stats (untrue) and others reporting that I purposely shut down registration (which is true).

So on the one hand, I'm being accused of helping my site look better than it is, while simultaneously hurting my site by closing registration every now and then... :lol:

Light
07-13-2013, 07:30 PM
Categorically false. This site uses the stock vBulletin way of reporting online members. You have a problem with that, take it up with vBulletin.

And not once has any advertiser asked me about how many members/guests vBulletin is reporting...they always ask for site-wide metrics such as unique visitors, etc.

I still remember when you increased the number of members reported here. There used to be around 100 members here regularly online and would dip to 1/10 th of that or less during the wee hours. Then you had the guy from Florida come to this site, get kicked off and he started his own site. I noticed the two of you jacking up the number of people online in what looked like deliberate competition. First you both jumped to the 200-300 range. Then 400-500 range. Each would match the other till what it is now. His site has since folded but he used to report over 500 people online and you would see 2 new posts a day. I have caught your site without whatever software you use, and it will report under 100 people for a few minutes, then jump back up to hundreds. Every other horse racing site seems to honestly report the number of people online and some are embarrassingly low. Most of the time there is nothing really new here and the number of people still remains the same. I know this is totally bogus because the number of people online remains relatively the same even in the wee hours of the morn which would mean horse players are somehow immune from sleep. My guess is there are 150 to 200 members tops, online here at any one time. Not the 800-900 you regularly report.

speed
07-13-2013, 07:34 PM
This is gonna be good. :lol: Let the games begin :lol:

PaceAdvantage
07-13-2013, 07:52 PM
I still remember when you increased the number of members reported here. There used to be around 100 members here regularly online and would dip to 1/10 th of that or less during the wee hours. Then you had the guy from Florida come to this site, get kicked off and he started his own site. I noticed the two of you jacking up the number of people online in what looked like deliberate competition. First you both jumped to the 200-300 range. Then 400-500 range. Each would match the other till what it is now. His site has since folded but he used to report over 500 people online and you would see 2 new posts a day. I have caught your site without whatever software you use, and it will report under 100 people for a few minutes, then jump back up to hundreds. Every other horse racing site seems to honestly report the number of people online and some are embarrassingly low. Most of the time there is nothing really new here and the number of people still remains the same. I know this is totally bogus because the number of people online remains relatively the same even in the wee hours of the morn which would mean horse players are somehow immune from sleep. My guess is there are 150 to 200 members tops, online here at any one time. Not the 800-900 you regularly report.You're a liar. I always thought you were, especially when it came to your bias, like Serling, but now I know it to leak out to other areas.

I invite you or anyone else to examine my system in search of this mysterious "software" you claim is in use. There is none. The way to jack up your scores is to increase the time limit examined by vBulletin. Shows how much you know.

When I saw that other site you write about posting impossible numbers, I showed everyone just how to do it...I told vBulletin to report the number "over the last 24 hours" or something absurd like that...and it would show something like almost 2000 people online. That's why the record for most users stood for so long and was forged on some unassuming Thursday in December or something like that.

There was no "jumping up over time" or "arms race" as you put it. It was a ONE TIME display of just how bogus their numbers were.

That record stood for years until it was broken last year....legitimately I might add (and by legitimately, that means I had nothing to do with it).

And for the record, my "who's online" is set to the same measuring time as theRX sports forums...don't ask me why, I just modeled myself off of them. It tells you who has been online in the last 120 minutes. It has been set this way FOR YEARS and YEARS, and has never changed, except for that one day where I chose to make an example of that other site you speak of.

Thus, the mere fact that I haven't changed at all the metric used to display "who's online" in MANY, MANY years proves that you make shit up to feed your biases. We saw it with Serling, and we're seeing it now.

And there are NEVER 800-900 people reported here in the wee hours of the morning. I should know...I'm up often enough at those times.

PaceAdvantage
07-13-2013, 08:02 PM
My guess is there are 150 to 200 members tops, online here at any one time. Not the 800-900 you regularly report.Oh, and by the way? That's exactly what is reported...at any one time, you'll see 150-200 members online.

The guests part includes actual lurkers along with whatever bots are slipping through the cracks.

So, which is it? Am I cheating when I regularly report 150-200 members online during peak hours (there are 180 being reported right now), like you just "guessed" should be a legitimate number, or not?

PaceAdvantage
07-13-2013, 08:15 PM
Oh, and it's pretty funny that back then when this was all going on, Light never once accused me back then of doing what he is accusing me NOW OF DOING BACK THEN.... :lol: :bang: :confused:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32860

Fast forward to reply #26 if you want to read Light pontificate...

Rise Over Run
07-13-2013, 08:35 PM
Oh, and it's pretty funny that back then when this was all going on, Light never once accused me back then of doing what he is accusing me NOW OF DOING BACK THEN.... :lol: :bang: :confused:

Damn you're good. Note to self; Don't mess with PA.

cj's dad
07-13-2013, 08:57 PM
LIGHT is a moron

Midnight Cruiser
07-13-2013, 09:00 PM
I love this site. I lurked for a year or so and then pulled the trigger. For you lurkers out there, come in and introduce yourselves and share some knowledge. Life is short, enjoy and serve...

speed
07-13-2013, 09:04 PM
LIGHT is a moron
Ya think

iceknight
07-13-2013, 09:34 PM
LIGHT is a moron But Light had a good word about PA in post 32 of that thread..

"As much as I've thought you were uptight,his moderating makes you look good.Real good."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Facebook is probably one site that claims to have 3-4 times the users based on its the # of accounts. But in reality that includes people's dogs, little babies and other fake accounts made up for coupons etc.

I don't think Paceadvantage has that kind of thing going on. But on many occasions, if I am viewing the site from a public computer (or a new wifi) I am not logged in. Then i will be viewing as a 'Guest'

davew
07-13-2013, 09:35 PM
wheres Google search bots?

Light
07-13-2013, 09:43 PM
Oh, and by the way? That's exactly what is reported...at any one time, you'll see 150-200 members online.

The guests part includes actual lurkers along with whatever bots are slipping through the cracks.

So, which is it? Am I cheating when I regularly report 150-200 members online during peak hours (there are 180 being reported right now), like you just "guessed" should be a legitimate number, or not?

You are splitting hairs. What I was referring to was the "Currently active users" numbers back then and now.

Right now you show 872 "currently active users". Besides the reasons I've mentioned for this being bogus, the other reason is that things are simply too slow for that amount of "users".

This week, I barely had time to come to this site, but I did come on for a few seconds here and there to see if there was anything new, specifically looking for any new topics other than the same 3 threads with the same 3 people talking that was dominating the top category. There was nothing new. You want me to believe that for one week you have 800-900 people most of whom don't seem to sleep, and a new category can't be started for a whole week with 800-900 people 24/7? Now that its the weekend, things finally started to move again. That movement is just from a small increase of users on a weekend. Point is that sites where they in fact have 800-1000 people online on a daily basis have mega action and slow threads are almost off the front page in one day. The threads here are disproportionately slow to move compared to the "currently active users". Just a common sense observation.

I have nothing against you making money from this site. More power to you. I just can't believe how many intelligent people buy into the magic for inflating the "currently active users" numbers and are unaware of it.

Stillriledup
07-13-2013, 09:46 PM
Hahahahahahahahahaha.......I carry my weight around here....

Speaking of sites that are not accepting new members I think you may have heard of one......actually you may know it very well :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think you have the 2nd best poster name here ( the guy with ____ is first) so CJ is just kind of thinking how nice it would be....ya know, to be the Whiffleball kid for just ONE brief, albeit shining, moment!

PaceAdvantage
07-13-2013, 10:17 PM
You are splitting hairs. What I was referring to was the "Currently active users" numbers back then and now.

Right now you show 872 "currently active users". Besides the reasons I've mentioned for this being bogus, the other reason is that things are simply too slow for that amount of "users".

This week, I barely had time to come to this site, but I did come on for a few seconds here and there to see if there was anything new, specifically looking for any new topics other than the same 3 threads with the same 3 people talking that was dominating the top category. There was nothing new. You want me to believe that for one week you have 800-900 people most of whom don't seem to sleep, and a new category can't be started for a whole week with 800-900 people 24/7? Now that its the weekend, things finally started to move again. That movement is just from a small increase of users on a weekend. Point is that sites where they in fact have 800-1000 people online on a daily basis have mega action and slow threads are almost off the front page in one day. The threads here are disproportionately slow to move compared to the "currently active users". Just a common sense observation.

I have nothing against you making money from this site. More power to you. I just can't believe how many intelligent people buy into the magic for inflating the "currently active users" numbers and are unaware of it.There have been 61 threads that have "seen action" in the past 24 hours. I don't know what you're talking about "2 or 3 threads." Maybe you're surfing e-ponies and mistakenly thinking you're on PaceAdvantage?

I invite any possible way to prove to you that you are indeed wrong. (and I don't know why, other than to shut your ill-informed ass up once and for all). Everything I have spelled out in this thread is 100% true. There is only one way to control how many users are reported by vBulletin and that is to set the timeout value of a guest who remains inactive or a user who does not log out and remains inactive. And that timeout value is and always has been set to 7200 seconds, or 120 minutes.

Run a test for yourself. Log into PA with one browser, check to see you are on the who's online list, then don't do anything for two hours. Now (and this is the important part), open up PA IN A DIFFERENT BROWSER and look at the who's online screen and you will be gone from the list. (You need to use a different browser to check after 2 hours because if you use the same, you'll be instantly active again once you go to refresh the who's online list to see if you're still listed).

This will prove without a doubt what I am saying is the truth.

I am now officially through arguing with ignorance.

Overlay
07-13-2013, 10:19 PM

And with the link, this thread even gets PriceAnProbability added to the mix! (That was a walk down memory lane!) :D

speed
07-13-2013, 10:31 PM
PA why respond this much to him. Likely there aren't 3 on here who don't know by now how insecure and insignificant in his own life he must be.

PaceAdvantage
07-13-2013, 10:51 PM
PA why respond this much to him. Likely there aren't 3 on here who don't know by now how insecure and insignificant in his own life he must be.Because it's impossible to let his willful ignorance and outright lies remain unchecked. It doesn't even make a difference...I should set it so that it shows there are 2000 people online....or maybe I'll set it that only shows 3 (I'll set it to 1 second)...what the hell is the difference?

He doesn't seem to get that advertisers don't pay attention to that...they pay attention to actual weblog stats...visitors...page views...unique visitors...

But he's right, I COULD set it to anything I want, but I have remained absolutely rock-solid consistent once I saw how theRX was doing things....

And if he thought for one second back in 2006 I was doing something shady, he would have posted it in the thread I cited...that thread was never closed, and he was never banned, but funny, he never chose to address it back then.

Why he is making stuff up now, I don't know, nor do I care.

I've demonstrated exactly how he along with anyone else with two browsers (say IE and Chrome) can demonstrate for themselves (why they would want to waste time doing so is beyond me) that what I write in this thread regarding "who's online" is 100% accurate.

Aner
07-14-2013, 12:59 AM
Most of the times I read the threads that interest me without bothering to log on unless I want to post something. Maybe the lurkers are members like me.

Hosshead
07-14-2013, 03:20 AM
A few minutes ago I logged on to this website via my telephone, and saw that there were 210 viewers at the handicapping forum...a large number judging by recent history. ......

But then I saw that no new topic of great interest had been introduced...and that 177 of the 210 who were viewing the forum were lurkers rather than members.
This same "out of the ordinary" occurance has also been reported just recently on the HTR website too.
Something strange is going on, and HTR is said to be looking into it.

wiffleball whizz
07-14-2013, 04:19 AM
There have been 61 threads that have "seen action" in the past 24 hours. I don't know what you're talking about "2 or 3 threads." Maybe you're surfing e-ponies and mistakenly thinking you're on PaceAdvantage?

I invite any possible way to prove to you that you are indeed wrong. (and I don't know why, other than to shut your ill-informed ass up once and for all). Everything I have spelled out in this thread is 100% true. There is only one way to control how many users are reported by vBulletin and that is to set the timeout value of a guest who remains inactive or a user who does not log out and remains inactive. And that timeout value is and always has been set to 7200 seconds, or 120 minutes.

Run a test for yourself. Log into PA with one browser, check to see you are on the who's online list, then don't do anything for two hours. Now (and this is the important part), open up PA IN A DIFFERENT BROWSER and look at the who's online screen and you will be gone from the list. (You need to use a different browser to check after 2 hours because if you use the same, you'll be instantly active again once you go to refresh the who's online list to see if you're still listed).

This will prove without a doubt what I am saying is the truth.

I am now officially through arguing with ignorance.

I bet e-ponies got there most ever viewers tonight after PA mentioned it....it doesn't get any worse then e-ponies

Augenj
07-14-2013, 05:59 AM
I would guess a whole lot of guests are bots. This site gets plenty of traffic so its a target.
Spot on.

Boston Tom
07-14-2013, 11:16 AM
Time to introduce myself, long time time lurker who has been amazed at the knowledgeable and experienced handicappers on this site and find I have much more to learn than to offer, but I will try to become more involved in the future. I am only a weekend warrior, trying to enjoy the game and keep my losses to a minimum.

bugboy
07-14-2013, 11:30 AM
I've been a member of this board for many years. I'll tell ya somethin', I've learned many handicapping angles. Also in my opinion most of the guys and gals here are good people. I don't know anyone personally but from what I read I think they are a great bunch of guys!!!!

raybo
07-14-2013, 12:16 PM
LIGHT is a moron

Yes, and thus, he and Traynor are the only 2 "elite" members of my ignore list. Neither adds any value to the discussions here, IMO.

therussmeister
07-14-2013, 01:45 PM
If I were trying to sign up today, I would not be allowed. The two e-mail providers I use are not accepted.

jahura2
07-14-2013, 03:44 PM
Time to introduce myself, long time time lurker who has been amazed at the knowledgeable and experienced handicappers on this site and find I have much more to learn than to offer, but I will try to become more involved in the future. I am only a weekend warrior, trying to enjoy the game and keep my losses to a minimum.

Boston Tom, I would classify myself similar to you as a "weekend warrior", I am a minimal poster but a daily visitor to the sight. PA provides me access to some of the best handicappers around thus allowing me to improve my game. When I feel I have something positive to add I will definitely jump in. I do have a few different insights having grown up in Central Ky. and will share them when I feel they can benefit the "greater good" on this forum. I don't play every day, and am not a database handicapper and do not use any software programs, so I feel a lot of times I cannot offer any helpful insight to those that do. I just wanted to chime in to thank PA for his efforts and to let the overall PA community know that there are a lot of us "weekend warriors" out there that are still serious players and benefit very much from this forum and its
collective knowledge.

Light
07-14-2013, 04:48 PM
And that timeout value is and always has been set to 7200 seconds, or 120 minutes.

According to Alexa.com, the average time spent by a visitor to this site is 5 minutes and 20 seconds. So setting the timer for the "currently active users" to 120 minutes is obviously going to give an erroneously inflated notion of this site's activity. Your main competition with a similar format right now shows 68 currently active users while you show over 700. I'm sure his timer is set more appropriately.

judd
07-14-2013, 04:48 PM
I think its the best around:ThmbUp:

PaceAdvantage
07-14-2013, 05:08 PM
According to Alexa.com, the average time spent by a visitor to this site is 5 minutes and 20 seconds. So setting the timer for the "currently active users" to 120 minutes is obviously going to give an erroneously inflated notion of this site's activity. Your main competition with a similar format right now shows 68 currently active users while you show over 700. I'm sure his timer is set more appropriately.Thank you for admitting that all the other bullshit you posted was just that...bullshit.

And I'll keep it set to what it's been set for at least 10 years now...thank you very much. If it was good enough for theRX back in the day, it's good enough for me.

And by the way, you can't rely on Alexa...my weblogs show a much higher average time spent...

iwearpurple
07-14-2013, 05:14 PM
According to Alexa.com, the average time spent by a visitor to this site is 5 minutes and 20 seconds. So setting the timer for the "currently active users" to 120 minutes is obviously going to give an erroneously inflated notion of this site's activity. Your main competition with a similar format right now shows 68 currently active users while you show over 700. I'm sure his timer is set more appropriately.

Who cares what the number is?

The original poster (thaskalos) made a valid request to the many lurkers to join and contribute to the forum. He was suggesting that these people might have something of value to contribute.

Your contributions to this thread don't mean diddly squat about handicapping or horseracing in general.

Light
07-14-2013, 06:51 PM
Thank you for admitting that all the other bullshit you posted was just that...bullshit.

I don't know what "bullshit" you are referring to, but it's clear you and others here carry "hatred". Good luck with that because it is YOU, not me that it is emanating from. If you disagree with me, a respectful explanation is all that is needed.

Zydeco
07-14-2013, 07:09 PM
I don't know what "bullshit" you are referring to, but it's clear you and others here carry "hatred". Good luck with that because it is YOU, not me that it is emanating from. If you disagree with me, a respectful explanation is all that is needed.

Explanation.....post 18, 23, 24 and i believe #34 but i could be wrong. But what do I know.

PaceAdvantage
07-14-2013, 07:32 PM
I don't know what "bullshit" you are referring to, but it's clear you and others here carry "hatred". Good luck with that because it is YOU, not me that it is emanating from. If you disagree with me, a respectful explanation is all that is needed.You disrespect me way more when you start your reply with accusations and insinuations that simply are not true. There was no "who's online arms race" between me and that other site. I never incrementally ramped up the cookie expiration time. I looked at other popular message boards at the time, settled on theRX...saw what their time was, and used that for my board. And have never changed it since.

Instead of writing me privately and asking how I conduct myself here before spouting your incorrect theories (ie bullshit), you come on here posting stuff that simply was not true. I find that to be imminently disrespectful, not to mention other choice adjectives.

So you get responded to in kind.

If you want respectful replies, try giving a few for a change.

CincyHorseplayer
07-14-2013, 07:43 PM
Pace you don't have to defend yourself to this blowhard.I'm astonished he actually thinks about this $hit!

Grits
07-14-2013, 07:51 PM
Boston Tom, I would classify myself similar to you as a "weekend warrior", I am a minimal poster but a daily visitor to the sight. PA provides me access to some of the best handicappers around thus allowing me to improve my game. When I feel I have something positive to add I will definitely jump in. I do have a few different insights having grown up in Central Ky. and will share them when I feel they can benefit the "greater good" on this forum. I don't play every day, and am not a database handicapper and do not use any software programs, so I feel a lot of times I cannot offer any helpful insight to those that do. I just wanted to chime in to thank PA for his efforts and to let the overall PA community know that there are a lot of us "weekend warriors" out there that are still serious players and benefit very much from this forum and its
collective knowledge.

Jahura2, please, never feel this way. Just because you don't possess a data base? My goodness, darlin'. As you know, there's so many approaches to this game. Don't let such a thing hold you back. You're from Central Kentucky, you grew up in horse country. Sure there's plenty you can offer. No doubt.

There are guys here that are swimming in data and software. They're up to their eyeballs in it. Its all they can talk. Yet, they couldn't tell you where the gaskin or the stifle is located on a horse if their life depended on it. :lol:

Never let someone else's knowledge hold back your own. In this room full of rowdy male know it alls, (ie Traynor's the ring leader) there's a spot for everybody--even a handful of women. :lol:

jahura2
07-14-2013, 08:12 PM
Jahura2, please, never feel this way. Just because you don't possess a data base? My goodness, darlin'. As you know, there's so many approaches to this game. Don't let such a thing hold you back. You're from Central Kentucky, you grew up in horse country. Sure there's plenty you can offer. No doubt.

There are guys here that are swimming in data and software. They're up to their eyeballs in it. Its all they can talk. Yet, they couldn't tell you where the gaskin or the stifle is located on a horse if their life depended on it. :lol:

Never let someone else's knowledge hold back your own. In this room full of rowdy male know it alls, (ie Traynor's the ring leader) there's a spot for everybody--even a handful of women. :lol:

Thanks Grits, no inferiority complex here, just want to provide quality posts when I can, and learn something new every day from some of the best.

098poi
07-14-2013, 08:17 PM

I think the gaskin is the thing that makes the horse go faster and the stifle is what you use to slow it down. I'm not sure though.

Grits
07-14-2013, 08:24 PM
Good deal, Jahura2. :)

098, don't take that wisdom to the windows. :lol:

Magister Ludi
07-14-2013, 08:34 PM
@Grits: I miss your cute avatar.

Stillriledup
07-14-2013, 08:37 PM

You mean the one with her wearing the short shorts and high heels? :D

Grits
07-14-2013, 08:47 PM

I had to go undercover MagiLu. I'm always getting my sassy self in trouble.

I hate for you gentlemen to just constantly see that avatar, and say, "Lord, there she is, again, handing me junk!":lol:

And I'm getting ready to stir up a little more @ TimeformUS. :eek: :lol: :eek:

Light
07-14-2013, 10:17 PM
You disrespect me way more when you start your reply with accusations and insinuations that simply are not true.

They are not accusations. They are things that just don't add up. For example,can you explain to me why, in the top row alone of the "currently active users" list there are at least 4 people who are supposed to be members here but they do not exist in the "members roster"? Members such as Alaniotalm, Alkabskat, Amittycooroto, AncessStake. Also when I click on these supposed members, I do not have access.

raybo
07-14-2013, 10:26 PM
I had to go undercover MagiLu. I'm always getting my sassy self in trouble.

I hate for you gentlemen to just constantly see that avatar, and say, "Lord, there she is, again, handing me junk!":lol:

And I'm getting ready to stir up a little more @ TimeformUS. :eek: :lol: :eek:

Uh oh! :)

wiffleball whizz
07-14-2013, 10:28 PM
They are not accusations. They are things that just don't add up. For example,can you explain to me why, in the top row alone of the "currently active users" list there are at least 4 people who are supposed to be members here but they do not exist in the "members roster"? Members such as Alaniotalm, Alkabskat, Amittycooroto, AncessStake. Also when I click on these supposed members, I do not have access.

Light nobody cares.......pace advantage.com has gotta have close to a million posts on this forum...I'm willing to bet that the amount of posts here are more then 90 percent of any forum out there and any as in any website forum in the world:...

This forum absolutely urinates on any sports or gambling forum

castaway01
07-14-2013, 10:35 PM

What does it matter? Are horse racing fans going to look at the number of active users and decide to join based on that? No, they're going to look at the posts and information here and see if there is anything that interests them. There is no site with close to the knowledge this one has, and anyone who did a search on any racing topic here would quickly see that. As a poster, that's all that's important.

And to all the lurkers and semi-lurkers, c'mon in and post. Doesn't matter if you have a database. If you have an opinion, that's all that matters. Or if you're new, feel free to ask questions. That's the best way to learn.

Light
07-14-2013, 10:35 PM
Light nobody cares......

You mean, you don't care. And you don't speak for everyone last I checked.

Light
07-14-2013, 10:37 PM
What does it matter?

This happens to be the topic.

raybo
07-14-2013, 10:38 PM
True, if you Google "racing forums" PA is listed 6th, if you Google "horse racing forums" it is listed 2nd, only behind DRF. Don't know how those rankings are figured but the DRF has been around for so long it doesn't surprise me that it's listed 1st, even though I have serious doubts that it is anywhere close to what PA is, regarding the amount of talented people involved here.

PaceAdvantage
07-14-2013, 10:45 PM
They are not accusations. They are things that just don't add up. For example,can you explain to me why, in the top row alone of the "currently active users" list there are at least 4 people who are supposed to be members here but they do not exist in the "members roster"? Members such as Alaniotalm, Alkabskat, Amittycooroto, AncessStake. Also when I click on these supposed members, I do not have access.Those are "new members" who have registered but whose accounts are still in the moderation queue and have not had their posting privileges activated. Many are spam registrations that will be deleted....most are from foreign countries...lots from China and Russia...that's why I close registration from time to time...because I have to catch up and cull all these spam registrations...these are the folks who on other forums you might see posting links for Viagra or porn other such spam...

If you keep track of the total member count (which I'm sure you do...you keep track of everything else apparently), you'll notice how the total number of members GOES DOWN by a lot more than it goes up at times...

But go on thinking it's all some grand conspiracy by me...that's what you like to do...and who am I to smash your dreams?

PaceAdvantage
07-14-2013, 10:47 PM
They are not accusations.Yes they are accusations. You are speaking from an ignorant and ill-informed position, yet posting as if you KNOW what is going on...when you clearly do not...

menifee
07-14-2013, 11:29 PM
I have a quick question - how come you can do only do a search every 15 seconds and does the search feature seem limited to anybody else? (i.e., certain terms it cannot find any postings when I know there are messages containing those terms).

JustRalph
07-15-2013, 12:13 AM
I have a quick question - how come you can do only do a search every 15 seconds and does the search feature seem limited to anybody else? (i.e., certain terms it cannot find any postings when I know there are messages containing those terms).

Here's my guess

It's that way to deter DOS attacks.

Denial of service attacks could shut this board down quickly. The search feature would be very vulnerable without the built in delay

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack

Augenj
07-15-2013, 05:47 AM
Those are "new members" who have registered but whose accounts are still in the moderation queue and have not had their posting privileges activated. Many are spam registrations that will be deleted....most are from foreign countries...lots from China and Russia...that's why I close registration from time to time...because I have to catch up and cull all these spam registrations...these are the folks who on other forums you might see posting links for Viagra or porn other such spam...

As a former administrator of three smaller boards, I can confirm this happens... a lot. I finally set up my firewalls to block IP addresses that were from anonymous servers and from other spamming countries such as Thailand, Ukraine, Brazil, and several others. The trouble with this is that it adds overhead to each attempt to access the board, successful or not, due to the large number of IP ranges.

castaway01
07-15-2013, 09:29 AM
This happens to be the topic.

No, your topic was that the member totals are fake. The system has been explained numerous times, as has the fact that faking the numbers wouldn't make a difference in ad rates, yet you keep posting the same crap over and over. What about that was confusing to you?

Saratoga_Mike
07-15-2013, 10:41 AM
You mean, you don't care. And you don't speak for everyone last I checked.

Start a poll - I suspect you're the only one who cares. In any case, if you think the forum stinks and lacks posts, as you seem to imply, why are you here? Go to a heavier trafficked forum.

DeltaLover
07-15-2013, 01:01 PM
Without any intention of flattery, I believe that PA represents one of the most successful paradigms of a niche forum.

I think that PA, is close to perfect running the forum and can very well write a book, analyzing his related philosophy and approaches.

He is way more talented as a Web Master than a handicapper and I believe he could run any other forum with the same phenomenal success and even more, assuming a larger audience.

When it comes to the commends about active users etc, I think they are completely irrelevant. We all know very well, that this is the top place to talk anything about horses and counting users or clicks does not really add or remove anything from this impression.

raybo
07-15-2013, 01:16 PM
Geez, isn't it obvious that Light is the epitome of a "troll", always looking for an argument? As I said before, he offers nothing of value to this forum. I just wish people would quit quoting his posts, as that defeats the purpose of putting him on "ignore". :bang:

JustRalph
07-15-2013, 01:28 PM
Andy, get yor ass into this thread........it's starting to calm down!!

PaceAdvantage
07-15-2013, 05:40 PM
He is way more talented as a Web Master than a handicapper...Hey now...hold on there just a darn minute...that ain't no compliment... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

thaskalos
07-15-2013, 05:44 PM
Hey now...hold on there just a darn minute...that ain't no compliment... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

He meant to say "EVEN more talented..." instead of "WAY more talented...", PA...but he realized his mistake after the 15-minute correction time span was up... :)

Exotic1
07-15-2013, 05:54 PM
He meant to say "EVEN more talented..." instead of "WAY more talented...", PA...but he realized his mistake after the 15-minute correction time span was up... :)

PA was banging out winner after the winner in past Triple Crown Races. Exacta's, Tri's, Super's. It was automatic. Word must have got out overseas and China and Russia wanted a piece, so they sent some bots. PA had to throw them off so he came out with the Breeders Cup Bet Backs. Some Yuan and Rubles were lost. PA, I think you lost them for a while. Back to the basics.

DeltaLover
07-15-2013, 05:57 PM

This is exactly what I meant Thask: "Even more ... ", never underestimating his understanding of the game :)

Light
07-15-2013, 06:35 PM
But go on thinking it's all some grand conspiracy by me..

You sound like the U.S. government. You ask them a pertinent question and they get all defensive, call you a conspirator, subversive, communist, hell raiser,whatever. I won't push it anymore because you are obviously sensitive to this and I don't blame you here because it is your website and you can tweak it any way you want. I will give you credit for not deleting my posts for once. But I can't say I buy your entire explanation on this topic either.

PaceAdvantage
07-15-2013, 06:44 PM
You don't have to buy it. All you have to do is run the test I told you to run to verify...and now you'll throw the defensive card at me...lol...like I shouldn't respond to your baseless accusations and defend myself...

"At least you didn't delete my posts..." :bang: ...I can't remember the last time I deleted one of your posts...why would I?

Your posts are usually comic gold...and keep people coming back for more...you're like an all-natural "stat-juicer" for this website...

Robert Fischer
07-15-2013, 06:44 PM
this is how forums work.

you have your members
most members are usually counted as guests because they aren't actively signed in.

then you have visitors browsing the board from search engines or general interest

then you have bots

There is a time period where the members+guests are counted.

Light
07-15-2013, 10:48 PM
I can't remember the last time I deleted one of your posts...why would I?

Seriously? :faint: I had more posts deleted last year at this time than were left up. It's one of the reasons I don't post much anymore. What's the point if they get deleted. Just to jog your memory, they had to do with the creation of the Thaskalos handicapping corner. I had to stop posting because you even threatened to kick me off. No surprise there. Then there was the racist accusations by Cj's dad towards me and you had to delete both of our posts. But no need to rehash good times.

PaceAdvantage
07-16-2013, 08:54 AM
I guess those that were deleted weren't as funny as these then...like I said...usually comic gold...

thaskalos
07-16-2013, 01:24 PM
26 members and 213 guests in this forum...as of 12:23 central time. :)

mountainman
07-16-2013, 01:31 PM

No reason for them not to. The rancor and hostility that once may have deterred potential members has steadily diminished.

thaskalos
07-17-2013, 02:24 PM
27 members and 288 guests. Almost an 11-1 ratio!

315 viewers in the handicapping forum...on a lazy Wednesday afternoon. :)

Augenj
07-17-2013, 02:30 PM
this is how forums work.

you have your members
most members are usually counted as guests because they aren't actively signed in.

then you have visitors browsing the board from search engines or general interest

then you have bots

There is a time period where the members+guests are counted.
I guess nobody quite gets the idea of bots (robots) patrolling the Internet, scraping off stuff they find. Other than the legitimate search engine bots (Google, etc), there are countless others from countries all over the world including China with its Baidu bot. These are all counted as visitors and never sign on to the site, in this case PaceAdvantage.

thaskalos
07-17-2013, 02:42 PM
I guess nobody quite gets the idea of bots (robots) patrolling the Internet, scraping off stuff they find. Other than the legitimate search engine bots (Google, etc), there are countless others from countries all over the world including China with its Baidu bot. These are all counted as visitors and never sign on to the site, in this case PaceAdvantage.

I understand that...but I have been an active member of this site for several years now, and have never seen so many guests in the handicapping discussion forum.

The "general discussion" forum always has for years had more viewers than the handicapping discussion...but now, the handicapping viewers outnumber those in the general discussion by a ratio of 3-1.

And I am just wondering why the handicapping side has suddenly gotten so popular day after day...when very little actual handicapping discussion is really taking place.

I realize that they are bots...but why only in the handicapping forum...and why day after day?

iceknight
07-17-2013, 03:31 PM
I understand that...but ..... why only in the handicapping forum...and why day after day? What is the purpose of life?

thaskalos
07-17-2013, 03:53 PM
What is the purpose of life?

Either spiritual growth...or comfortable living.

I haven't yet decided which one...

Tom
07-17-2013, 03:58 PM
What is the purpose of life?

To get even! :mad:

raybo
07-17-2013, 04:04 PM
To look back on life, knowing that you did the best you could and positively influenced the lives of at least a few others.

iceknight
07-18-2013, 09:22 PM
To look back on life, knowing that you did the best you could and positively influenced the lives of at least a few others. Sounds like the Mother Theresa round of beauty contests :lol:

I think bots might pick up threads based on pre-existing activity? or search entry paths..

thaskalos
07-21-2013, 12:23 PM
I have noticed that the pendulum has swung here over the last couple days.

It is now the "racing discussion" forum that has the 33 members and the 343 guests.

I guess things are back to normal... :)

thaskalos
08-21-2013, 09:53 PM
50 members and 794 guests at the Handicapping Discussion forum...at 8:50 pm Central. A new record perhaps? :)

Birdstone
08-21-2013, 10:09 PM
50 members and 794 guests at the Handicapping Discussion forum...at 8:50 pm Central. A new record perhaps? :)

Most users ever online was 1831, 06-15-2012 at 12:02 PM.

thaskalos
08-21-2013, 10:12 PM
Most users ever online was 1831, 06-15-2012 at 12:02 PM.

1296 users right now...on a Wednesday night.

thaskalos
08-21-2013, 10:14 PM

wiffleball whizz
08-21-2013, 10:36 PM
Oh please let this thread get good again like last time!!!!

HuggingTheRail
08-22-2013, 02:03 AM
do all the split personalities in off-topic count as multiple visitors?

jdhanover
08-23-2013, 07:51 AM
But it is impossible to know how many are members that are simply not logged in. I've done that myself. Unknowingly until I tried to post something. If I don't post I don't know if I am logged in or not since I can read what I want (so I don't check)

Valuist
09-12-2013, 08:27 AM
The site must be getting big. I just found out I'm blocked from it now. No, not by PA or any of the site moderators, but from the Barracuda software installed at work.

So this site is considered too "evil" to go to, yet drf.com, equibase.com and brisnet.com are all allowed? Bizarre.

Augenj
09-12-2013, 09:05 AM
The site must be getting big. I just found out I'm blocked from it now. No, not by PA or any of the site moderators, but from the Barracuda software installed at work.

So this site is considered too "evil" to go to, yet drf.com, equibase.com and brisnet.com are all allowed? Bizarre.
Maybe a visit to your network administrator is in order unless they've given full control to Barracuda Networks for their firewall.

raybo
09-12-2013, 12:40 PM
Lots of people don't log in every time they visit the site, I know that many times I get an email about a new post in a thread I'm subscribed to and I don't bother to sign in unless I want to post, and I may "surf" the site to see what is going on, so I could show up as being on the site, in several sections, but as a visitor not a member.

Overlay
09-12-2013, 12:43 PM

PA is also blocked (as a "gambling" site) by the filters on the computers at the Madison (Alabama) public library. I'd never run into that on a computer at any other public library I've ever been to.

raybo
09-12-2013, 01:29 PM
Don't you just love that we allow others to "filter" what we see and do? Wow, what a wonderful world we have here! You can send your money, via PayPal, almost anywhere you want, except to an ADW! Sure am glad PayPal, and not a few regular banks, are so interested in protecting us from ourselves!! :bang:

Valuist
09-12-2013, 08:06 PM
And pregame.com, which is a site devoted entirely to gambling, isn't blocked.

JustRalph
09-12-2013, 08:33 PM

Lowes, Kohls, Target and A few others block it too. I bypass it by connecting through my home computer. Been that way for years.

Skanoochies
09-13-2013, 09:52 PM
Would it be O.K. to ask what bots are? :blush:

JustRalph
09-13-2013, 10:02 PM
Would it be O.K. to ask what bots are? :blush:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_bot

Skanoochies
09-14-2013, 12:15 AM
Thank you Ralph. :ThmbUp:

PICSIX
09-14-2013, 08:08 AM
79 members and 609 guests

PaceAdvantage
09-14-2013, 08:50 PM
153 members and 721 guests

We can do this all day... :lol:

barn32
09-14-2013, 08:56 PM
I have a question: Am I a member, guest or a bot?

thespaah
09-14-2013, 09:28 PM
Categorically false. This site uses the stock vBulletin way of reporting online members. You have a problem with that, take it up with vBulletin.

Dontcha just love people who think they are always the smartest one in the room?

PaceAdvantage
09-14-2013, 09:55 PM
I have a question: Am I a member, guest or a bot?At times, probably all three...

wiffleball whizz
09-14-2013, 10:47 PM
Pace advantage trivia........

When this thread was in its younger stage what event was taking place......

Major event.....and PA nailed our false predictions like he knew the future