PDA

View Full Version : XP64 & Firewire

wilderness
07-10-2013, 11:31 PM
Might anybody have a machine with XP64?

I have a project computer with 64.
At first the Firewire wouldn't work at all, however and after extensive seraching I found an Hotfix (KB922498) for Windows 7 64 that resolved the issue (Who'da thought to look there?).

I'm looking for a way to set the Firewire data speed, which is 100 by default to 400.

Unfortunately, all the registry examples are for XP32 and the registries are different from XP64.

The instructions say to begin with:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\

Everything matches to above, however after that, nothing is similar.

Supposed to locate:

If the SidSpeed value does not exist in the right pane after you click the Device Parameters subkey in step 2, create it. To do this, point to New on the Edit menu, click DWORD Value, type SidSpeed, and then press ENTER.
Right-click SidSpeed, and then click Modify.
In the Value data box, type one of the values that are shown in the following table, and then click OK.
Collapse this tableExpand this table
Value Speed
0 S100 speed
1 S200 speed
2 S400 speed (default value)
3 S400/S800 speed (Windows XP Service Pack 1 [SP1] value)
end of quote

Unfortunately Device Parameter (s) does not exist.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

wilderness
07-11-2013, 01:26 PM
Many thanks for the overwhelming response ;)

Realized it was a real longshot, however one never knows.

The goods news is that I was able to change the setting.

The bad news is that it failed to improve the transfer speed.

I've just begun a project of scanning thousand (s) of photo negatives.
Using a different computer, different OS and different scanner, as well as scanner software.

The scanner has its own CPU, however the transfer of data from the scanner to the computer takes 15-20 minutes per negative. The files are really large and in the 30-50 meg range.

USB 2.0 or Firewire don't seem to make any difference in the transfer speed.

I'm using a DUO Core processor, however the speed is lower than my old Pentium 4, and I've no idea if that makes an improvement in the transfer speed. I've already boosted the memory to 7-gig (XP32 limits at 4, however XP 64 will take 8). The memory change from 4 to 7 didn't make any difference.

The next attempt will be a Quad Core, however I'm inclined to believe that is not going to make any difference either :(

Red Knave
07-11-2013, 03:28 PM
Can you mount the disk with the old photos/negatives into the new computer as a new drive (i.e. a 2nd/3rd/whatever disk). You're probably coming up against hardware maximums with the external devices.

If you can go SATA with both drives you'll get somewhere fast. If the old one is IDE and the new one is SATA there are ways to handle that as well.

There are also a few fast copy software programs out there too.

I think you're I/O bound and won't get any extra zip from a quad core cpu. Just my opinion.

wilderness
07-11-2013, 03:37 PM
Thanks Knave.

It's not a drive issue, rather the transfer of data from peripheral to peripheral.

The photo negative is scanned via the scanner and the data gets moved from to the computer via either USB 2.0 or Firewire (no other options).

I don't believe the Quad will help either, however this computer will become my primary after project completion, thus I'll lose nothing by trying the Quad.

There must be folks in this group that are moving data (video) from Cam Corders and such, what I'm doing is pretty much the same thing.
Video files are surely in the GIGS and I'm just dealing with megs.
Their (video) transfer must be slow as molasses.

DJofSD
07-11-2013, 04:03 PM
You've peeked my curiosity.

I used to use Firewire up to the point I lost one of my HP desktops which had an Epson scanner attached via Firewire. When it went south, I transferred the scanner to another PC using USB. Good thing the scanner has a dual interface. That was the last Firewire connection and the only device I still have with such an interface. All the rest are gone -- tape, external IDE drive shell, video bridge for analog to digital conversion.

What is the make and model of the scanner?

What is the Firewire adapter make and model?

wilderness
07-11-2013, 04:25 PM
DJ,
The scanner is a Microtek i900 (http://www.microtek.com/Mii/Web/Product.php?Product=Detail&P_Id=102) (bought one and then two for backup; all used).

The have a newer model and an improved improved model.
Microtek ArtixScan M1 (http://support.microtek.com/product_dtl_2.phtml?prod_id=316)
Microtek ArtixScan M2 (http://store2.microtek.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=180)

The Firewire is the early 6-Pin and is limited to 400 (the rating is confused).
Some references say MegaBytes (supposed to read "MBPS"), however most of the descriptions for Firewire ports use Mbps (MegaBits).

The difference between bits and bytes is what is assumed to make the Firewire faster than USB 2.0, however I don't see it.

The first Firewire (not active) is built into the MB.
Agere OHCI.

When that wouldn't work my local geek put a port in back that plugs into the board.
That brand is an NCI1394 (at least that's what the registry says). No mention of brand in the device manager.

Before I found the Hotfix (see open of thread) I ordered a PCI that is a combination USB & Firewire (it arrived today).
St Lab F-270 (http://sewelldirect.com/st-lab-f270-usb-firewire-1394-pcie-card.asp?gclid=CKyE8rnon7gCFa87MgodNgYAcA)

While waiting for the St Lab to arrive, I poked around on the WWW and most everybody suggested that a MotherBoard Firewire was faster than a PCI card Firewire. I haven't tried the thing yet.

DJofSD
07-11-2013, 04:34 PM
FWIW, I believe I used to have this Adaptec (http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/support/_eol/fireconnect/afw-4300a/) adapter. It's obsolete. But, it does have support for XP (among others).

Adaptec was more expensive but between the Firewire and a SCSI adapter, I never had a problem.

wilderness
07-11-2013, 04:35 PM
FWIW, I'm not looking to improve the transfer rate by leaps and bounds (even though the thought is nice).

With a non-regular routine, I'm averaging 30-negs a day.
With a quarter to third improvement speed that saves me about two hours a day. (times at least two years).

headhawg
07-11-2013, 11:50 PM
Firewire 400 or IEEE 1394a has a transfer rate of 400 Mbps (as in Megabits); USB 2.0 has a rate of 480 Mbps. I'm not sure why you would want Firewire unless you go to Firewire 800 (IEEE 1394b).

BTW, the USB transfer rate would pencil out to 60 MBps (theoretical), so why isn't the transfer of a 50 meg file about a second or two? Something else is going on.

wilderness
07-12-2013, 06:14 AM
hh,
Is it possible that your just not familiar with how scanners work?
It's too bad they don't function as fast as pencils.

The fastest scans are text for OCR and black and white (2-color; line-art) and even those take minutes not seconds.

Last year I did some test scans for this project with a different scanner (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2135634,00.asp) and a different computer. Despite that scanner being not-specific to negatives (they function differently) similar scans were in the 30-minute range.

Since the time is similar between the different computers and scanners, perhaps I'm just not hold my tongue correctly when I connect the cables ;)

Many thanks for the feedback though.

BTW, I saw a $40,000 standalone scanner once (to get an estimate) and even that took minutes for the scanning process.

Red Knave
07-12-2013, 08:00 AM
Sorry I misunderstood the original post.

Can you add one of your other scanners (you say you have 2 spares) to speed up throughput? i.e. so you can scan 2 images at a time? It seems the computer is mostly just waiting for the scanner and USB ports are typically in multiples and are also easy to add. I suspect that you may need to configure a second version of the software but it should be doable if you can point the software at a particular device.

After that, I got nuthin' :)

wilderness
07-12-2013, 08:27 AM
Many thanks Knave.

Scanner drivers are memory intensive (even erratic).\
With four gig of memory (present scanner) I was getting some "crashes". I had similar problems on my primary scanner (multiples of same brand and model) that I used for a decade, thus I realized immediately what the issue was. Upon adding the other three gig (my geek didn't have two 2 two-gig chips in stock) stopped the crashes.

Two would not likely work.

Besides I'd need a six-foot desktop. These things weigh 26lbs and are twice the size of normal scanners ;)

Thanks so much to everybody that replied and attempted to help.

It appears that I have what I have.
I'm going to try adding the PCI and see if that improves.
Then I'll try the Quad Core.

headhawg
07-12-2013, 01:00 PM
hh,
Is it possible that your just not familiar with how scanners work?
It's too bad they don't function as fast as pencils.

The fastest scans are text for OCR and black and white (2-color; line-art) and even those take minutes not seconds.

Last year I did some test scans for this project with a different scanner (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2135634,00.asp) and a different computer. Despite that scanner being not-specific to negatives (they function differently) similar scans were in the 30-minute range.

Since the time is similar between the different computers and scanners, perhaps I'm just not hold my tongue correctly when I connect the cables ;)

Many thanks for the feedback though.

BTW, I saw a $40,000 standalone scanner once (to get an estimate) and even that took minutes for the scanning process.I had a snide answer all prepared but it's not worth posting. Clearly you know more about computer devices than me. Like that fact that Firewire didn't make a difference in speed. Wow. I'm shocked by that. :rolleyes: And the fact that you consider a computer a "peripheral" (your third post). Yup. I'm outclassed here. Best of luck to you.

DJofSD
07-12-2013, 02:48 PM
Wild guy, I found this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/65cb7a25-2a84-4875-aa27-b084537e8da1/windows-7-and-firewire-problem

Not sure if it will help with your specific issue but there's a lot of info in it which might lead to a solution.

By any chance, for that new adapter board/port your local techie installed, have you actually pulled the cover on the PC to see what is says on the board itself for company, make and model?

wilderness
07-12-2013, 03:05 PM
By any chance, for that new adapter board/port your local techie installed, have you actually pulled the cover on the PC to see what is says on the board itself for company, make and model?

DJ,
I removed that port this morning, and now running on MB Firewire port.
FWIW, the removed port offered an NEC chipset.

There was no improvement in the speed after removing the port (why would there be? They both run through the motherboard). (it was just a port with a Sata (or similar) plugin. No circuitry like your former Adaptec or the St Lab board I've still in the package).

Many thanks for the link and info.

When I take a break from scanning (just started three more negs) I'll try the change.

DJofSD
07-12-2013, 03:30 PM
OK, thanks for the feedback.

BTW, I found 1394b boards available for ~$40 on a couple of sites. I believe one was CDW.

Might be worth the expense to get a faster board from an know company and chip set.

wilderness
07-12-2013, 04:01 PM
BTW, I found 1394b boards

1394b is a nine-pin.

I've a six-pin ONLY on the scanner.
Read some references that said NOT to use adapters.

Since the scanner (device) is a six-pin, that likely won't help.
Possibly slightly, which is really all I'm looking for.

Just back from speaking with a neighbor (young man "geek"). He said something similar to hedgehawg about the transfer speed, however he only uses his for "streaming data" (video and audio), where I'm using mine for "packet data".

Thanks again DJ.

wilderness
07-15-2013, 05:22 PM
Some bounty from this thread:

Please note; images placed temporarily and will be removed.

Haven't done this for a while.

Please keep in mind that I DO NOT have the answers for these locations, rather I'm looking for help.

Frisco Adams (Jimmy Cruise) location unkwn 1945 (likely and Indiana location, was accompanied by photo's of Osgood and Shelbyville. (http://www.mi-harness.net/eur/hhf00157.jpg)

Frisco Reno (Paul Hungerford) location unkwn. Note; Just scanned a photo of this location a few months ago [recall being fascinated with how close the tents were to the grandstand], unfortunately don't recall what publication date or any other info to locate it. (http://www.mi-harness.net/eur/hhf00221.jpg)

Frisky Fellow (Roy Line; not sure this Roy, however have multiple references to he and horse?) (http://www.mi-harness.net/eur/hhf00239.jpg)
Frost Ridge (Frank Ervin) at ??. (That sign in the back makes this photo unique and I've a similar photo of the location that I was unable to locate as well. (http://www.mi-harness.net/eur/hhf00262.jpg)

Fuzzydale (Mark Kyler) 1937-38 (http://www.mi-harness.net/eur/hhf00294.jpg)

G. -3 (http://www.mi-harness.net/eur/hhf00297.jpg)

Enjoy.

BTW, last week I began scanning a large quantity of harness racing negatives. It will take some time and I've put my magazine scanning on the backshelf for this priority project.

DJofSD
07-15-2013, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the pics.

These images are all from scanned negatives?

wilderness
07-15-2013, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the pics.

These images are all from scanned negatives?

Aye!

Currently working on the 311th and I'm just over one-third of the way through the first drawer.

You should see some scans from the negs of 1948 Freehold?
You can zoom in 8-10 rows up in the grandstand and look at folks faces ;)

Not all the negs have such quality, however every one is an major improvement of any counterpart that I previously scanned from magazines.

LottaKash
07-15-2013, 08:51 PM
Aye!

You should see some scans from the negs of 1948 Freehold?
You can zoom in 8-10 rows up in the grandstand and look at folks faces ;)

Thx for the pix Don, :ThmbUp: , and could you, or would you please post or PM the photo(s ) of Freehold Raceway....I would love to see it (them)....

A lotta years ago, Fhld was my daytime track of choice, and I have a lot of fond memories of the ole place, especially before the big fire that destroyed the old wooden grandstand....

MY first recollections of Fhld were when they only ran 6-across and the 7 & 8 trailed in behind the 1 & 2 pp's at the start of the race.....