PDA

View Full Version : How to rename files

rosenowsr
07-10-2013, 09:05 PM
I have a bunch of racing files that I want to add the year to in the file description.
Example=2012WOX0502.mcp

Is there a program that will do this? Any suggestions are appreciated.

JustRalph
07-10-2013, 09:50 PM
I have a bunch of racing files that I want to add the year to in the file description.
Example=2012WOX0502.mcp

Is there a program that will do this? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Maybe at a command line?

" ren *.mcp 2012*.mcp"

Use a small sample to test it.

I just did it with some .drf files and it workedb but I lost the track code.

Let me see what I can figure out

Longshot6977
07-10-2013, 09:53 PM
You can try a free program called Rename Master. Here is a link:

http://download.cnet.com/Rename-Master/3000-18512_4-52866.html

JustRalph
07-10-2013, 10:15 PM
I was able to do it from a command line like this

I used DRF files from gulfstream

I ran it this way

"Ren *.drf 2012*.gpx.drf"

The files come back like this example

" 2012208.gpx.drf" File from Feb 8th for gpx

They still load in my programs ( equisim and jcapper) just fine

But of course you would substitute .drf with .mcp

I would test it with a few files first.

Or use an app :lol:

rosenowsr
07-10-2013, 10:27 PM
Thanks Ralph. Your file works fine. I downloaded that Rename File Software.

Just spent most of the evening removing ad ware that was with it, "sweetpacks search bar". What a mess it made.

Longshot6977
07-11-2013, 08:47 AM
Thanks Ralph. Your file works fine. I downloaded that Rename File Software.

Just spent most of the evening removing ad ware that was with it, "sweetpacks search bar". What a mess it made.

I had never used it, but saw reviews that it was good and did what you had needed. Glad you got everything sorted out.

Dave Schwartz
07-11-2013, 09:02 AM
Apparently, CNet, the once trusted source for downloads, is no longer trustworthy. Everything you download there comes with a ton of very-difficult to remove spyware.

TexasDolly
07-11-2013, 09:31 AM
Apparently, CNet, the once trusted source for downloads, is no longer trustworthy. Everything you download there comes with a ton of very-difficult to
remove spyware.

Dave, Have you had a problem with cnet(I use them a lot) ? I generally see the customary toolbar options etc but I haven't had any other problems that I am aware of. I always use custom install and avoid the toolbars etc present in the standard installation,which is generally recommended.
Thanks ,
TD

Dave Schwartz
07-11-2013, 10:48 AM
I have only had small problems. Went to download some freeware and when I read the fine print it said that they were going to load me with spyware just as the poster above said they did to him.

I opted out of the install.

Previously, I had allowed their installer on my system (months ago) and quickly removed it. If you browse the web for posts (including CNet), you will this is no longer the case. That is, it is no longer easy to quickly remove much of anything the install.

IMHO, CNet is to be avoided.

JustRalph
07-11-2013, 12:53 PM
I gave up on cnet a while back.

They used to be trustworthy........not anymore

wilderness
07-11-2013, 01:33 PM
I've a couple of file rename softwares that I download, and even used on the computer I've just switched from.

The one I used sure saved me lots of time.

Not sure when I setup the other computer, however will need to soon, as I didn't get everything required for this new machine.