PDA

View Full Version : Ok Slots

witchdoctor
02-26-2004, 06:41 PM
Gaming bill passes House
2004-02-26
By Ryan McNeill
The Oklahoman

Hundreds of people packed inside the House gallery cheered as lawmakers approved a gaming bill this afternoon, sending to Gov. Brad Henry for his signature a key piece of his legislative agenda.
The governor had pushed the bill since taking office. Lawmakers debated for more than two hours, taking it up at about 12:30 p.m.

The vote was 52-47.

"Never before have we had so many groups in agreement on an issue so important to our state," said House Speaker Larry Adair, D-Stilwell, alluding to education supporters, horsemen and tribal leaders lobbying for the bill.

Supporters said the bill will save 50,000 jobs in an industry that contributes $1.8 billion to Oklahoma's economy. Opponents said it will cause gambling-related social problems, including increased bankruptcies and expenses for social services.

"This bill has the potential for more devastating effects to our state, our economy and our family than any bill I've seen in my time," said House Minority Leader Rep. Todd Hiett, R-Kellyville.

The bill is designed to funnel $71 million the first year into common education, which already has a budget of more than $2 billion. Horsemen, who said they would be ruined and forced to other states with more lucrative purses, say it will increase purses by more than $30 million in Oklahoma.

"These are taxpayers, these are citizens of Oklahoma coming up here asking for help," said Rep. Ron Kirby, D-Lawton. "And we act like we're in doubt."

Lawmakers passed the bill after a morning of hard lobbying by supporters, including the governor. Henry spent the morning in the House lounge pushing for support.

The bill was near the top of the agenda in the House, which went into session about 10 a.m. But it was't introduced until after 12:30 p.m.

superfecta
02-26-2004, 11:01 PM
Bout time they got off the pot.I could not understand why so many people are against gambling.Or say they are,putting down games of chance while putting money in the stock market on questionable stocks.Its all how you look at it,IMO.Getting up and living is a gamble.But here in the Bible belt,it seems we have more of our share of people who want to tell others how to live.But we also seem to have people here that care more about their fellow man as well,so maybe it evens out.

Whirlaway
02-27-2004, 12:15 AM
Pity, they should have dynamited the place. I was there last year and it was obvious there was ZERO interest in the live product. Getting slots won't change that; it'll just turn the horsmen into welfare queens.

Derek2U
02-27-2004, 07:36 AM
lets say a racino exists & the racing part of it is weak. Why not
create a slot game with the real time race happening on it. as a
true slot lover, they could offer all kinds of weird plays like picking
the last 2 finishers etc etc. this way racing could be delivered to
the slot lover AS A SLOT GAME. just an idea.

shanta
03-01-2004, 09:13 AM
whats your take on this? I see you live in Tulsa.Do you think its needed there? Richie

ceejay
03-01-2004, 10:04 AM
My opinion is that the slots will just delay the inevitable and will not help the long-term survival of racing in OK.

Zman179
03-03-2004, 11:42 AM
I'm probably in the minority in the fact that I believe that slots are bad for horse racing.

Why? Because just about everybody has been calling for a reduction in racing so as to make the quality of the product stronger by having fuller, more competitive fields. And what better way to have that by reducing the amount of venues that hold racing?

On the other hand IMO, Mountaineer has done the most with their slot riches. Their racing has drastically improved and their product is one of the most popular nighttime signals around. Delaware's signal is attractive to bet on compared to pre-slots, but it is still just a blip on the radar screen handle wise, especially Fri-Sun. As far as all the other tracks like Charles Town, they're simply running schlock races at inflated purses with handles that are still anemic.

It'll only be a matter of time before all tracks have alternative gaming, the revenues will go south due to the regionalization of revenues (after all, why drive 2 hours to play slots when there's a different place to play them 20 minutes away?), and then racing will look for another crutch.

Zman (Crutch? Heck, my wallet is crippled)