PDA

View Full Version : Moreno

PhantomOnTour
07-07-2013, 01:50 AM
Wins the Dwyer for fun.
Named after an acquaintance of mine, and owner of Southern Equine, Mike Moreno.
Very nice fella - he is friends with my brother in law and has had us up to his farm to watch a mating...whoa man....ever seen it before?
It's a real production, to say the least.

Anyway - congrats to Mike and Guillot and Southern Equine.
They also raided NY in 2010 when Champagne d'Oro rolled in the Acorn and also won the Test.

nijinski
07-07-2013, 02:12 AM
Wins the Dwyer for fun.
Named after an acquaintance of mine, and owner of Southern Equine, Mike Moreno.
Very nice fella - he is friends with my brother in law and has had us up to his farm to watch a mating...whoa man....ever seen it before?
It's a real production, to say the least.

Anyway - congrats to Mike and Guillot and Southern Equine.
They also raided NY in 2010 when Champagne d'Oro rolled in the Acorn and also won the Test.

Yes Phantom as a kid while at a farm visit up near Washingtonnville NY .
I must have been blushing . But this was in a field . Much different from what I'm sure you witnessed , with all the help handling the horses so neither get's hurt . Especially if the Mare is not in the mood , LOL . It's
a memorable experience .

And congrats on Moreno's victory !

CincyHorseplayer
07-07-2013, 02:20 AM
I was all over him on Belmont day,at 8-1 no less.Those fresh ship in blazing works.Solid pace live vs the field,blinks on,I knew he was going to roll.I'm glad you brought this up.I thoroughly enjoyed watching him motor today.I was surprised he went off at 5-1.I didn't bet him today.I tuned in to see what happened in some of the other stakes.But Moreno was the thrill.Big Blue Kitten getting over the hump was a close 2nd!Love em both!

Stillriledup
07-07-2013, 03:53 AM
Congrats to the kid jock too, first graded win for him i believe?

Valuist
07-07-2013, 03:09 PM
I look for that Belmont day maiden win to become a key race. Thought it was a good field at the time.

Tom
07-07-2013, 05:21 PM
Travers?

alhattab
07-07-2013, 08:08 PM
Travers?

Haskell?

Ocala Mike
07-07-2013, 08:12 PM
I'm officially an old-timer, for sure. All I could think about when I saw the name was Henry Moreno, the jock who rode Dark Star to a win over Eric Guerin on Native Dancer in the 1953 Derby. Hank went on to have a pretty solid career riding in California in the 50's.

Aner
07-08-2013, 03:20 PM
I thought of Pete Moreno, Henry's brother, who was born in 1926 and won his first race at BM in 1951. He was pretty good and was the leading rider at Del Mar, Tanforan, and Golden Gate. That was before Russell Baze took over.

PhantomOnTour
08-03-2014, 01:35 AM
Congrats Mike, and no, I didn't bet him...just like Champagne d'Oro.

Horses that show that kind of quality speed at this high level will eventually win one or two.

tanner12oz
08-03-2014, 07:33 AM
Love this horse and the confidence of his connections..catch him if you can

Grits
08-03-2014, 09:27 AM
During the NBC telecast, the showing of Moreno's connections -- Voodoo dolls of each horse, strung and hanging from a tree limb in the paddock with a big chicken's foot (leg included) on the end, and Mary Lou's photo nailed to the tree? .... This was seriously creepy.