PDA

View Full Version : Holy Moly - Referee beheaded at Brazilian soccer match

tucker6
07-06-2013, 05:22 PM
July 6, 2013

By ESPN staff

An amateur football match in Brazil led to two deaths as a referee was beheaded by spectators after he had stabbed a player.

The shocking incidents occurred in Maranhao, Brazil, last Sunday. According to reports, referee Otavio Jordao da Silva fatally stabbed footballer Josenir dos Santos Abreu.

Dos Santos Abreu is believed to have struck the referee after questioning a decision. In retaliation, Jordao da Silva stabbed the player.

Having witnessed the incident, an outraged group of spectators turned on the referee. He was tied up, beaten, stoned and quartered. They then put his head on a stake and planted it in the middle of the pitch.

One man, Luiz Moraes de Souza, 27, has been arrested over the incident. Police are searching for two more suspects.

Valter Costa is handling the case and, in a statement, he said: "One crime never justifies another crime. Actions likes this do not collaborate with the legality of state law."

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1492969/referee-beheaded-killing-player-brazil?cc=5901

Saratoga_Mike
07-06-2013, 05:32 PM
So Brazilian referees carry knives? The whole story is sick.

Valuist
07-07-2013, 03:12 PM
The Olympics should be interesting when they come to Rio in 2016. If I remember correctly, the big concern for Rio was violence. I guess if Johannesburg can host a World Cup, Rio can host the Olympics.

horses4courses
07-07-2013, 05:16 PM
The Olympics should be interesting when they come to Rio in 2016. If I remember correctly, the big concern for Rio was violence. I guess if Johannesburg can host a World Cup, Rio can host the Olympics.

2014 World Cup in Brazil will be interesting, too.

thaskalos
07-07-2013, 05:24 PM
And some Americans think that soccer is for sissies...

Stillriledup
07-07-2013, 05:35 PM
So Brazilian referees carry knives? The whole story is sick.

I read that story and i'm thinking "is this real? It sounds like a movie".

horses4courses
07-07-2013, 05:53 PM
This was an amateur match, of which there are thousands played daily around the world.
While this is deplorable, it's hardly surprising that at somewhere, sometime, extreme violence could break out.
You don't have to look too far in this country to see a high school rivalry soccer game get totally out of hand -
very often due to fans and parents giving a verbal lambasting to the officials.
But a beheading? Stabbing by the referee?
Those involved probably didn't need a sporting event to go at each others' throats. Disgusting.

tucker6
07-07-2013, 06:02 PM
This was an amateur match, of which there are thousands played daily around the world.
While this is deplorable, it's hardly surprising that at somewhere, sometime, extreme violence could break out.
You don't have to look too far in this country to see a high school rivalry soccer game get totally out of hand - very often due to fans and parents giving a verbal lambasting to the officials.
But a beheading? Stabbing by the referee?
Those involved probably didn't need a sporting event to go at each others' throats. Disgusting.
While I agree with you in many respects, the culture that allows for that incident to occur in any way, shape, or form is troubling. I'm certain the World Cup and Olympic people will bring this issue up to Brazil. This was beyond uncivilized behavior and speaks to other issues.

horses4courses
07-07-2013, 06:03 PM
While I agree with you in many respects, the culture that allows for that incident to occur in any way, shape, or form is troubling. I'm certain the World Cup and Olympic people will bring this issue up to Brazil. This was beyond uncivilized behavior and speaks to other issues.

It has nothing to do with professional soccer.

Oh, and by the way, my own daughter, now aged 17, spent a year in Brazil as an exchange student through Rotary.
She was 15.5 years old when she went.
Was I nervous in allowing her to go? Yes.
Did she benefit from the experience? Absolutely.

All over the world, there are areas that are best avoided.
Those areas exist in the US, also.
Don't try to imply that an incident of this type is due to a violent culture in Brazil.
Yes - they have their problems. So does just about any country.

tucker6
07-07-2013, 06:48 PM
It has nothing to do with professional soccer.

Oh, and by the way, my own daughter, now aged 17, spent a year in Brazil as an exchange student through Rotary.
She was 15.5 years old when she went.
Was I nervous in allowing her to go? Yes.
Did she benefit from the experience? Absolutely.

All over the world, there are areas that are best avoided.
Those areas exist in the US, also.
Don't try to imply that an incident of this type is due to a violent culture in Brazil.
Yes - they have their problems. So does just about any country.
That's exactly what I'm implying. I've been to Brazil. Many times. I wouldn't allow my 15 yo to go there without me.

horses4courses
07-07-2013, 06:57 PM
That's exactly what I'm implying. I've been to Brazil. Many times. I wouldn't allow my 15 yo to go there without me.

Try attending a few amateur ball games in East L.A., or Chicago South, then.
Don't bring your 15 year old there, either.

Valuist
07-07-2013, 10:04 PM
And some Americans think that soccer is for sissies...

No, we just think its boring. Sports that require hand-eye coordination require more athleticism, and are more interesting to watch, IMO.

horses4courses
07-07-2013, 10:15 PM
No, we just think its boring. Sports that require hand-eye coordination require more athleticism, and are more interesting to watch, IMO.

NBC has just shelled out big $$$ to show over 100 Premier League matches from the UK starting next month.
It's going to be a great season!

cj
07-07-2013, 10:31 PM
NBC has just shelled out big $$$ to show over 100 Premier League matches from the UK starting next month.
It's going to be a great season!

Most will be on NBC Sports Network, right?