PDA

View Full Version : Som thoughts about any particular nite at Harness...

LottaKash
07-05-2013, 02:37 PM
Yesterday, 7/4, I posted some selections for, 3 races that, I fancied at ChesterDowns....

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1458922#post1458922

The reason that I wanted to share my thoughts on the results of those picks, is because the "ones that haven't come as far as some us", need to know about days such as these....

It wasn't about winning the plays, as I have pretty much left that type of vanity behind...It is about "Understanding" the "why's" of the winning and losing a race or a card...

Yesterday, the track was mostly unkind for the Front Runners or the 1st-Over horses, even some chalky faves as well....And, that is the point of this post...

All three of my selections were 1st Overs horses....Normally at Chester the "Home Track Bias" tends to favor the front end of most of the races, but on this day that wasn't the case...One of those horses faded in the lane 1stOver, the second pick won as he pleased, but not on the early engine but with a LTBF move (last to be first) at the 5/8 to 3/4, after being 1st over earlier to that move.....ez win $2.60 haha...

The last bet was "my play of the day", and @7/1 I shoved it in with both hands for Win & Place....The 3rd place place finish didn't net me any gain, but that didn't bother me much, as the horse tried his Heart Out in that race and was still standing and right there at the wire....I was on a good one, and he tried his heart out..

So, for the newer ones still struggling, when you get days like these, and you don't win don't be dismayed or lose courage....It only matters, to me of course, that all 3 of these picks went down swinging, and on another day, it may have had another n" more rewarding outcome....

When a horse I choose to play, gets out there trying to Set, Maintain, or Overcome the Pace at any or all calls, that is the only expectation that I have....To reach contention by the top of the lane....If my horses do that, than either the horse wasn't as good as I first thought, and that would be my mistake, or the variant or the nitely track bias was off might be the reason....

To win as this game, I always try to understand the why of the loss as well as the win, and the handicapping of it....I do this step in order to keep composure, confidence and focus ....

I hate to lose, but that is part of the game, the losing....But if any of the three things that I have stated to be essential to winning is compromised in any way, then it just makes it that much harder to keep your wits about you when there is an upcoming day of racing or race, when you just aren't up to it mentally...

I always try to stay composed, confident and focused, and on those days when only some, and/or all 3 of those things are not all there, then I generally don't make a play or not at all....It is hard to win on a consistent basis without the whole CCF protocol....

Well, just some thoughts about Harness Racing, and my way of going...

wiffleball whizz
07-05-2013, 04:11 PM
Didn't watch Chester yesterday but u saying speed wasn't to good may be because of different wind direction being it was a very rare night card....lots of harness horses run very different in sun light and under the artificial lights

LottaKash
07-05-2013, 06:09 PM
Didn't watch Chester yesterday but u saying speed wasn't to good may be because of different wind direction being it was a very rare night card....lots of harness horses run very different in sun light and under the artificial lights

Yes Sir, Wiffle, every day is different, some only subtly, and other days a lot.....I try to be alert and perceptive as to what is winning what each and every day...A lotta days it will be business as usual, and then suddenly a variant or bias will pop up, and if I am alert to it, sometimes I do capitalize on the change(s)...

Trouble is what that day at least, I had put my bets in way early because of the holiday....The first bet was 5/2 and I don't really believe that that horse was that low of a value....The second play was 2/5, and I Never make that wager,never....But, the last one, well, I would always make that play 7/1 or 3/1...