PDA

View Full Version : 5 riders banned at Leopardstown

cj
07-05-2013, 12:47 PM
http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/article/465/8808758/jockeys-banned-in-leopardstown-farce

Robert Fischer
07-05-2013, 12:50 PM
:D they put a distance horse in @ 50/1 and had the jockeys let him open a huge lead on a slow pace. All he had to do was not stop.

PhantomOnTour
07-05-2013, 12:53 PM
A few years ago I remember a jockey getting away from a hurdles race like this and winning by a huge margin.
So huge that the jock pulled to the outside fence and tossed his whip to a fan before crossing the finish line.
I think it was in France...Soumillion riding maybe?

chadk66
07-05-2013, 02:27 PM
I don't see the reason to ban the riders. nobody knows what the hell is going to happen in a race that length. they were probably all hoping he wouldn't be in their way when he through out the chute late in the race.

wiffleball whizz
07-05-2013, 02:48 PM
Wish I would only get 4 days suspension if I cheated at my job.......should be banned for life

Stillriledup
07-05-2013, 05:11 PM
Wish I would only get 4 days suspension if I cheated at my job.......should be banned for life

And arrested and jailed. Bank robbers go to jail, jocks and trainers get to lay on the beach for 4 days drinking pina coladas.

horses4courses
07-05-2013, 05:37 PM
As we all know, most planned crimes have a motive.
What was the motive here?

This was a small race, without much betting action, or purse money.
If there had been unusual betting patterns for such a modest contest, we would have heard bookmakers screaming about huge liabilities (plus they would have slashed 50-1 odds in seconds), or punters getting suckered-in on the exchanges. Looks like that isn't the case.

So, what happened here?
Most likely, some very poor judgement by the riders concerned.
Sounds like the punishment fits the crime.

That being said, should they ever be implicated in profiting through wagering,
then lifetime bans, and criminal charges, are in order.

By the way, I grew up just a few miles from Leopardstown.
Would often walk there as a kid to go racing.

wiffleball whizz
07-06-2013, 03:14 AM
I don't see the reason to ban the riders. nobody knows what the hell is going to happen in a race that length. they were probably all hoping he wouldn't be in their way when he through out the chute late in the race.

Are you saying thaT cuz the race was a mile and 3/4 it gives them a excuse for boating this horse home?

The article says "closed to within 14 lengths :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My best friend won a race at freehold earlier in the year driving we were joking around saying all the money he had riding on his shoulders throughout the country but all kidding aside the power these drivers jockeys jai alai players have is pretty scary...

Just think of what happens if 1 jock or driver or player wants to be out of a number.....

Not really to hard for the drivers/jocks to fix a race....if its a 9 horse field you really only need 4 horses to go dead in race and you can take it all down...5 horse super box......spread in a pick 4 knowing your going dead at 6/5 one race....all very realistic things in my opinion

I'm sure it goes on once or twice a month at the cheap tracks....drivers trying to make an extra 500 or 1000 cuz they only clear about $30 for a win sometimes....I guess there thinking is "we gotta eat too"

KingChas
07-06-2013, 08:43 AM
This usually used to happen at 2 tracks in PA. (no names) around mid December in the old days, huge payouts.......Holiday cash.
This one must have been for vacation cash. ;)

Or for a better term you could call this "Christmas in July" for the jocks involved.

Oddity is, that they charged them.

chadk66
07-06-2013, 09:11 AM
Are you saying thaT cuz the race was a mile and 3/4 it gives them a excuse for boating this horse home?

The article says "closed to within 14 lengths :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My best friend won a race at freehold earlier in the year driving we were joking around saying all the money he had riding on his shoulders throughout the country but all kidding aside the power these drivers jockeys jai alai players have is pretty scary...

Just think of what happens if 1 jock or driver or player wants to be out of a number.....

Not really to hard for the drivers/jocks to fix a race....if its a 9 horse field you really only need 4 horses to go dead in race and you can take it all down...5 horse super box......spread in a pick 4 knowing your going dead at 6/5 one race....all very realistic things in my opinion

I'm sure it goes on once or twice a month at the cheap tracks....drivers trying to make an extra 500 or 1000 cuz they only clear about $30 for a win sometimes....I guess there thinking is "we gotta eat too"fixing races certainly isn't a new thing. it's happened many times and continues to happen at certain tracks daily I'm sure. But I'm not buying the fact that four horses out of the five horses in this particular race decided it was best for the long shot to win. They simply sat back and set the pace they figured they needed fully expecting the leader to pack it in.

horses4courses
07-06-2013, 11:33 AM
The conspiracy theorists always have a field day with things like this.
Trouble with this one, though, is that (so far) there is completely no proof.

US race bettors must understand that the pari-mutuel handle on Irish racing is much less than the amounts wagered with bookmakers. With bookies taking the action, someone is left carrying the can when a big gamble pays off. They tend to scream "foul" as soon as it happens. Not the case here.
Betting exchanges have their own policing methods, because players get burned there, also. Again - didn't happen.

Yes - fixed races occur.
Riders, also, make errors in judgement from time to time.

Robert Fischer
07-06-2013, 11:48 AM
light-moderate Action spread across bookmakers on this 50-1 shot may well have tipped off stewards here.

Apparently they didn't get greedy and go in backing the horse with crazy amounts, and word didn't get out causing a the line to plummet from a betting coup.

just $1000 x 50-1 = $50,000 ($10K a piece)

10,000 x 50-1 = $500,000

horses4courses
07-06-2013, 12:20 PM
light-moderate Action spread across bookmakers on this 50-1 shot may well have tipped off stewards here.

Apparently they didn't get greedy and go in backing the horse with crazy amounts, and word didn't get out causing a the line to plummet from a betting coup.

just $1000 x 50-1 = $50,000 ($10K a piece)

10,000 x 50-1 = $500,000

On a small event such as this, payouts of low five figures (10k+) would be a red flag. Easily traced, too.

Robert Fischer
07-06-2013, 12:32 PM
On a small event such as this, payouts of low five figures (10k+) would be a red flag. Easily traced, too.

Between 1 and 10K is the range I estimate with my limited insight into Leopardstown.

Maybe there was no fix, and it was just a perfect storm of the right longshot being allowed to gallop away on a slow pace because of jockey error?

I've heard of them giving 'days' or fines simply for unexpected jockey tactics over there. I admit I'm pretty ignorant to the goings on, and just guessing. :ThmbUp:

wiffleball whizz
07-06-2013, 12:35 PM
People that cheat and that aren't hogs and greedy are very dangerous

OTM Al
07-06-2013, 01:20 PM
I really doubt there was any cheating involved. This was a maiden for 4 and up, though 5 was the youngest age, and designed for horses to prep for the jumps. If you've noticed, jump horses are not encouraged to come flying out of the gate, but that is exactly the trick the winner pulled, just like Sumillion pulled when he rode the jumper in France. The riders figure he'll come back to them and he doesn't. Bad judgement maybe for running a flat race like a jump race, but no cheating.

cordep17
07-16-2013, 05:34 PM
did the 2 give up...be honest.
http://replays.robertsstream.com/racereplays/playf_llnw.php?customer=FairmountPark&t=1374010441&h=fb623a6b78ad04244abba33af5b6a9b6&url=201307161642FAN7

horses4courses
07-16-2013, 05:42 PM
did the 2 give up...be honest.
http://replays.robertsstream.com/racereplays/playf_llnw.php?customer=FairmountPark&t=1374010441&h=fb623a6b78ad04244abba33af5b6a9b6&url=201307161642FAN7

Ummm...I'm not sure how this is relevant to a thread about Irish jockies but , no the 2 didn't give up.
He didn't have much to give in the first place.
I watched the replay and, not knowing the conditions or class level of the race, I will make the following assumption: those were cheap horses running at a bottom level track. Most often, you get what you pay for.

cordep17
07-16-2013, 06:10 PM
So you are saying that if he did give up, I deserve it?

horses4courses
07-16-2013, 07:19 PM
So you are saying that if he did give up, I deserve it?

The horse didn't quit....the jock didn't quit.....I don't play FP.
No one deserves a stiff....anywhere. I just didn't see it there.

As far as taking beats at cheap tracks?
It's a horse race....someone has to win.
Good luck to you.