PDA

View Full Version : SLEW'S FAST HORSES FOR THUR. 07/04

MeSlew
07-03-2013, 08:57 PM
Hello All! Happy July 4th to all! Listed below are the races and tracks on Slew's holiday menu:

Belmont - 1,4,6,7,8,9,10
Monmouth - 3,4,6,8,9,10
Hollywood - 1,3,6,8
Gulfstream - 3,5,7
Arlington - 2,5,9

As you can see it is a fairly substantial representation of holiday spirit. So get (fire) crackin'!

Also notable is that we have a star spangled Key Horse running:

Upgrade - Bel ( 9) GP 02/01/13 # 5

Here were my notes from the Gulfstream Park race that got him on our list:
"February 1, 2013 Race 5 - An Allowance Optional Claiming with a tag of $100K and a purse of $65K, this race was won by Barclay Tagg's Beau Choix (Saez) from off a fast pace.
This one went on to run 3rd with Castellano up behind the accomplished Data Link on Feb. 23rd in the Grade III Canadian Turf. Upgrade ridden by Johnny V. and trained by Michelle Nihei
may have needed this one just a bit. Look for him in his next start, especially if Michelle hikes the class ladder to a soft Grade 3...."

In fact, upgrade did win his next start at Keeneland.

So just like your mother always told you: it is the company you keep. At 10-1 on the ML, Upgrade (Saint Liam - Emily Ring, by Fit to Fight) returns to the turf for the one turn mile Gr. 3 Poker Stakes. He was last seen placing 3rd in the 7 furlong Connaught Cup Stakes (Grade II) at Woodbine at 8-1 on the ML. For the Poker, he faces the aforementioned Data Link who sits the 6/5 ML favorite. That's the same Data Link who beat Beau Choix by the way.

Now Data Link is certainly the horse to beat here. But Upgrade gets reunited with Johnny V. who has ridden him well and will have a pace to run into with King Kreesa (I. Ortiz, Jr.) coming off his nice win in the NY bred Kingston where he wired the field. I think Ortiz will employ the very same tactic except here, but the difference being that you have some accomplished open company turfers who will try to use the pace to their advantage. That said, the Kingston was run in 1:33.80...not chump time. And as I am partial to King Cugat, I would love to see King Kreesa win this. But I don't think he can get away from DataLink and if I were to bet this race, I would try to use Upgrade's ML odds to my advantage.

While he has run well since his BC Turf Sprint at Santa Anita last November, I'm not sure I like him to win here, but I do like him to be the money maker in any exotics. At the very least, I will box these three.

I have to work this holiday and I will miss the festivities. But you my friend, will not. Celebrate safely and...

Enjoy the holiday racing...good luck and good 'capping!