PDA

View Full Version : Brisnet Hybrid ROI Challenge Registration and Rules Acknowledgement

Track Collector
07-03-2013, 10:25 AM
http://paceandcap.com/images/pnc_hdr_right.png (http://www.sartinmethodology.com/)
http://www.paceadvantage.com/images/PACS_2013_MD.png

presents

CONTEST 5

2nd ANNUAL
http://www.surfsideraceplace.com/images/brisnet_logo.gif (http://www.brisnet.com)
http://www.paceadvantage.com/images/DelTOGA-300.jpg
DEL TOGA CHALLENGE

Greetings prospective contest players!

Please read the contest rules listed below completely, then complete the poll shown above when you are ready to register. The poll will only allow you to "vote" one time, so if you have any questions, never "vote" the No option, but first seek an improved understanding by asking questions. Once satisfied, you can come back and "vote" Yes.

Here are the rules and objective for this contest:
(Please pay particular attention to the change listed in rule 8)

1. This contest will run from 07/17 thru 09/04, excluding Tuesdays.

2. The goal is to secure the highest "Hybrid" Return On Investment (ROI). The ROI is calculated by dividing the accumulated winnings by the amount wagered. It will be a "hybrid" variety, as in addition to the normal accumulated winnings, players will receive BONUS amounts relative to the finish position of their selection. (The BONUS amounts will be explained further below.).

3. A one-time registration and rules acknowledgement is a prerequisite for participation in this contest. (See associated poll above.). Subject requirement must be completed before a given day's selections are scored, otherwise those selections will NOT be scored, even retroactively. To the right of each poll option you will find a number highlighted in blue. Clicking on this number will show you an alphabetical listing of those who have "voted" for that option. If your name appears on the listing for the "YES" option, you are properly registered and ready for contest participation. You can register and enter the contest at any time, provided there is enough time for you to meet all the contest eligibility requirements.

4. A player's selection will consist of a $2 Win/Place/Show wager ($6 total) on a single wagering entity. Selections are is limited to thoroughbred races at Saratoga Race Course and Del Mar racetrack. New for 2013 --> Selections WILL be allowed on hurdle/jump races.

5. To become eligible for all contest prizes and awards, a player must complete BOTH of the following requirements:
(a) Finish with at least 15 plays on Del Mar races.
(b) Finish with at least 15 plays on Saratoga races.
A player may of course choose to play more races.

6. A player is limited to 3 TOTAL plays per day. Total Plays = # of plays at Del Mar + # of plays at Saratoga. A scratched selection does not count as a play.

7. When a selection is made, it can not also include an ALTERNATE selection. Previously submitted selections can be changed at any time and for any reason (under a new, separate posting) if done so at least one minute before the off time of the involved race. VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: If you want to reference information in your original selection posting, use the "QUOTE" option. Using the "EDIT" option instead "could" result in an edit timestamp which causes a winning selection to be scored as a no-play!

8. Posted selections as a minimum need to include the track name, race number, and the selection's saddlecloth number. It is also highly recommended that you include the horse's name. If any of the information in a selection is not in agreement (track/race#/saddlecloth#/horse's name), the horse's name will take priority and be considered your selection. When an entry is involved, please include in your posting that it is an entry, and clearly specify which horse(s) you want as a part of your selection. New for 2013 --> In order to eliminate ANY possibility of manipulation, and to provide players with greater freedom, entries will be scored as "separate" entities. For example, if you decide to play only the 1A, and the 1A becomes a scratch, your selection will be considered a no-play, even if the other part of the entry finishes in one of the top 3 finish positions. Players of course still have the option to include all of the entry in their selections. NOTE: Should a player's selection involve an entry, and that player fails to list the names of which horse(s) he/she wants as part of the selection, it will be assumed that they only want the listed saddlecloth number(s) as their selection(s).

9. Selections must be posted at least 1 minute prior to the race off time. (When a posting has been "edited", it will reflect two different timestamps, one for the original posting and one for the "edited" version of the posting. Both timestamps must meet the above requirement.). Selections which do not meet the above requirement will be scored as follows:
-- If the selection finishes 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, the selection will be scored as a "no-play", and the player is free to make another race selection.
-- If the selection finishes 4th or worse, the selection will be scored as a loss, as your selection intention was clear.

Players are responsible for the accuracy of their timestamp, that is, making sure it is set up for the proper time zone they are located in. Players are also responsible for posting their selections under the appropriate daily forum threads established for capturing selections.

10. The following situations will be scored as a "no-play":
(a) When your selection is scratched out of the race.
(b) When the involved race is cancelled, or declared by the racing officials to be "no contest"
(c) When your selection runs in the race, but is running for purse money only, and thus has no wagering odds.
(d) The involved race does not offer place and/or show wagering.
(e) Your posted selection is NOT found under the correct daily selection thread.

11. In addition to the normal $2 WPS payouts, players will receive the following payout bonuses:
(a) Your selection finishes 1st --> Bonus = $5
(b) Your selection finishes 2nd --> Bonus = $2
(c) Your selection finishes 3rd --> Bonus = $1
(d) Your selection finishes 4th or worse --> No Bonus

Scoring examples will be shown under a separate posting.

12. A special "Chatter" thread will be created where anyone can post during the contest. The contest Moderators will also use this thread to communicate important announcements and comments to ALL the participants. Players are responsible for checking out this thread on a regular basis.

13. Good Sportsmanship will rule the day. Jay Trotter, Track Collector, and/or their designated representatives will be the final decision makers regarding any questions regarding rule interpretations and/or scoring.

GOOD SKILL TO ALL!

Track Collector
07-03-2013, 11:25 PM
Examples of hybrid ROI calculations:

--- Your selection finishes 1st and the $2 WPS payouts are $8.00, $4.00, and $3.60. Your hybrid ROI would be $15.60 (the sum of the payouts) + $5 bonus for winning = $20.60 divided by $6 bet = 3.433 hybrid ROI for this individual race.

--- Your selection finishes 3rd and the $2 payout for show is $4.20. Your hybrid ROI would be $4.20 + $1.00 bonus for finishing 3rd = $5.20 divided by $6 bet = 0.867 for this individual race.

The above examples show calculations of Hybrid ROI on INDIVIDUAL RACES. A player's total Hybrid ROI is calculated using ALL of his/her races, so for a player whose contest history shows the above two races, their Hybrid ROI would be calculated as follows:

Sum of all winnings = $15.60 + $4.20 = $19.80
Sum of all bonuses = $5.00 + $1.00 = $6.00
Sum of winnings + bonuses = $25.80

Sum of all wagers = $6.00 + $6.00 = $12.00

Hybrid ROI = $25.80 divided by $12.00 = 2.15

Please feel free to send me a private message if you need further explanation.

Chris

Light
07-04-2013, 12:31 AM
7. When a selection is made, it can not also include an ALTERNATE selection.

Are you referring here ^^^ to scratches? Or are you saying you cannot bet 2 horses per race?

Track Collector
07-04-2013, 03:11 AM
7. When a selection is made, it can not also include an ALTERNATE selection.

Are you referring here ^^^ to scratches? Or are you saying you cannot bet 2 horses per race?

Hello Light,

In regard to "potential" scratches, a player can not submit a selection which looks something like the following:

Sar03 --> :7: Our boy Roy
If this horse scratches, please change my selection to :3: Finished at Nine

The reason for this is two-fold. First, the current excel scoring template is not set up to handle ALTERNATE selections. Second, even if the scoring template were modified, the end result is that the daily work required of the scorer to input both a primary selection and an alternate (backup) selection would increase significantly. As the person who has done 100% of the scoring for all contests this year except for the PAIHL contest, I can tell you that any time saved is greatly appreciated. If this contest has turnout anywhere like we experienced last year, I estimate that scoring and related activities are going to take around 25-30 hours each week.

What a player can do if a scratch is encountered is to submit the change or replacement under a new, separate posting.

As to multiple selections in a given race, they are not allowed per contest rule#4 where it speaks about a single wagering entity.

One final comment, and it relates to the mythical selection made above. If something like this is encountered, how will it be scored? One point of view is that since it contains an alternate selection, the whole selection could be considered invalid and tossed, even if the :7: is not scratched. A more reasonable approach, and the one that I will be taking is to treat the selection as if it did not include an alternate selection. That way if the :7: runs the race, the player will be scored accordingly to the horse's finish position, and if the :7: is a scratch, the selection will be scored as a "no-play" where the player can later submit a replacement selection under a separate posting.

Chris

sammy the sage
07-04-2013, 08:51 AM
As to multiple selections in a given race, they are not allowed per contest rule#4 where it speaks about a single wagering entity.

Chris

You'll need further clarification on THIS part of rule #8 then:

"Players of course still have the option to include all of the entry in their selections."

As that SUGGESTS one can make two selections in a single race...

Track Collector
07-04-2013, 12:24 PM
You'll need further clarification on THIS part of rule #8 then:

"Players of course still have the option to include all of the entry in their selections."

As that SUGGESTS one can make two selections in a single race...

Hi sammy the sage,

No re-wording of the rule is needed, but I guess my response to Light should have explicited stated that "multiple" selections are not allowed with the exception of entries. I assumed that Light's question was in regard to two different wagering entities, which might not have been a good thing to do. (It was however after 3:00 a.m. for me when I made this response. :p).

In summary:
(a) A selection is limited to a single wagering entity.
(b) An entry (which physically includes more than one horse) is still considered a single wagering entity.

Chris

FunkyMonkey
07-04-2013, 12:47 PM
Examples of hybrid ROI calculations:

--- Your selection finishes 1st and the $2 WPS payouts are $8.00, $4.00, and $3.60. Your hybrid ROI for this race would be $15.60 (the sum of the payouts) + $5 bonus for winning = $20.60 divided by $6 bet = 3.433 hybrid ROI for this race.

--- Your selection finishes 3rd and the $2 payout for show is $4.20. Your hybrid ROI for this race would be $4.20 + $1.00 bonus for finishing 3rd = $5.20 divided by $6 bet = 0.866 for this race.

The above examples show calculations of Hybrid ROI on INDIVIDUAL RACES. A player's total Hybrid ROI is calculated using ALL of his/her races, so for a player whose contest history shows the above two races, their Hybrid ROI would be calculated as follows:

Sum of all winnings = $15.60 + $4.20 = $19.80
Sum of all bonuses = $5.00 + $1.00 = $6.00
Sum of winnings + bonuses = $25.60

Sum of all wagers = $6.00 + $6.00 = $12.00

Hybrid ROI = $25.80 divided by $12.00 = 2.15

Please feel free to send me a private message if you need further explanation.

Chris

Chris,

don't want to be a bugger but I do believe your numbers in the example are wrong...probably just typos but might be worth fixing so that folks are not confused.

Thanks for all your hard work...i know I don't say that enough.

Track Collector
07-04-2013, 01:44 PM
Chris,

don't want to be a bugger but I do believe your numbers in the example are wrong...probably just typos but might be worth fixing so that folks are not confused.

Thanks for all your hard work...i know I don't say that enough.

Hello FunkyMonkey,

No problem at all pointing it out. (If not correct, it would just confuse others.).

The only thing I see is that needs to be corrected is where I show "Sum of winnings + bonuses = $25.60", the $25.60 should be $25.80. I did correctly show the $25.80 further below.

Do you seen anything else that needs to be corrected?

Thanks!

Chris

FunkyMonkey
07-04-2013, 02:01 PM
Hello FunkyMonkey,

No problem at all pointing it out. (If not correct, it would just confuse others.).

The only thing I see is that needs to be corrected is where I show "Sum of winnings + bonuses = $25.60", the $25.60 should be $25.80. I did correctly show the $25.80 further below.

Do you seen anything else that needs to be corrected?

Thanks!

Chris

Yes, i do. It is my eyesight!!!!

Thanks for correcting the typo. Everything else makes sense to me now.

Pardon the unnecessary interruption. I'll get back under my rock now and come out in a couple of weeks.

tony c.

iceknight
07-16-2013, 12:05 PM
Hello Chris!
I have a question about:

"(d) The involved race does not offer place and/or show wagering. "

But what if I am happy with the return from the Win and Place pools in such a race where SHOW gets cancelled at 1 mtp due to vet scratch in a 5 horse field and then the longest shot wins at 8-1 or whatever..
Does my earlier selection just get dumped as a no play and I have to risk a new selection in another race that may not even hit the board?
Just need some clarification if the "no play" part refers just to the Show segment of the ticket or to the whole WPS ticket..

Track Collector
07-16-2013, 02:53 PM
Hello Chris!
I have a question about:

"(d) The involved race does not offer place and/or show wagering. "

But what if I am happy with the return from the Win and Place pools in such a race where SHOW gets cancelled at 1 mtp due to vet scratch in a 5 horse field and then the longest shot wins at 8-1 or whatever..
Does my earlier selection just get dumped as a no play and I have to risk a new selection in another race that may not even hit the board?
Just need some clarification if the "no play" part refers just to the Show segment of the ticket or to the whole WPS ticket..

Hello iceknight!

If there is no place and/or show wagering, the ENTIRE ticket is considered a no-play. The logic for this rule is as follows:
(a) Races without place and/or show wagering would be a technical violation of rule#4, which specifies that a player's selection will be a WPS ticket.
(b) Payoff values are generally reduced with smaller fields.
(c) Without going into all the minute details, the current rule makes scoring and ROI calculations much less involved.

Good luck in the contest.....I think you will enjoy it!

Chris

iceknight
07-16-2013, 11:22 PM
Hello iceknight!

If there is no place and/or show wagering, the ENTIRE ticket is considered a no-play. The logic for this rule is as follows:
(a) Races without place and/or show wagering would be a technical violation of rule#4, which specifies that a player's selection will be a WPS ticket............

Good luck in the contest.....I think you will enjoy it!

Chris Got it, thanks!! and good luck to you too!

cordep17
07-29-2013, 04:50 PM
Saratoga
Race 2: :5: Lunar Surge
Race 4: :1: Tech Fall
Race 7: :4: Jade Run

Race 4...the other part of the entry placed, and this one got fourth. I get nothing for that, right?

Track Collector
07-29-2013, 06:24 PM
Race 4...the other part of the entry placed, and this one got fourth. I get nothing for that, right?

Hello cordep17,

The contest rule as written is if you only play part of the entry, and THAT part of the entry ends up scratched, then the selection is scored a "no-play".

In your case, even though you only played part of the entry, they both ran, and thus you still get winning credits if EITHER finish in the money.

You received credit of $3.40 (for place), $2.20 (for show) and $2.00 bonus for finishing second, for a total of $7.60 that race.

Chris

cordep17
07-29-2013, 07:12 PM
Hello cordep17,

The contest rule as written is if you only play part of the entry, and THAT part of the entry ends up scratched, then the selection is scored a "no-play".

In your case, even though you only played part of the entry, they both ran, and thus you still get winning credits if EITHER finish in the money.

You received credit of $3.40 (for place), $2.20 (for show) and $2.00 bonus for finishing second, for a total of $7.60 that race.

Chris

I got it now. Thanks Chris.

cutchemist42
08-06-2013, 11:04 AM
So by saying yes to the poll, I will be allowed to start posting selections in the threads?

Track Collector
08-06-2013, 11:10 AM
So by saying yes to the poll, I will be allowed to start posting selections in the threads?

Hello cutchemist42,

Yes, that is correct. Do make sure that you read over the rules too, instead of just voting "yes". ;)

Other than that, you will be good to go. There is still about half of the contest to go, so still plenty of time to get in the required number of plays to (15 at Saratoga and 15 at Del Mar) before the contest is over in early September.

Anything that is not clear, please don't hesitate to ask.

Chris

wiffleball whizz
08-06-2013, 11:41 PM
Can you tell gfnut at some point he has to make a move!!!

Track Collector
08-07-2013, 04:24 PM
Can you tell gfnut at some point he has to make a move!!!

Think of it like a Turf race.....at some point one has to make a move if they want to try to win the race.

Just continue to look at the attached "detail" spreadsheet, and take into consideration the number of games a player has. ;) The fewer the games, the more one is subject to significant changes either up or down.

Consider too that higher scores are much harder to maintain. In terms I know you will understand, if you or I started out with bowling a 3-game block of 762, what are the chances that our next 3-game block will be equal to or greater than the first one?

If gfnut maintains his current rate while getting in the required number of plays, I would assess his chances of NOT winning the contest at about 1 in 10,000.

I know it is hard to WAIT when you are wiffleball whizz. :D