PDA

View Full Version : Investments

gfnut
07-02-2013, 05:54 PM
I am looking for ideas on investing a good sum of money for retirement. I plan to retire in less than 10 years. I would like to hear pros and cons on Annuities and ETF's. Insights on any other investments (Stocks, Bonds, exc) would be great.

Thanks

JustRalph
07-02-2013, 05:58 PM
Wow.......

Stillriledup
07-02-2013, 06:01 PM
Show bets pay 2.20 at CT and Mountaineer and Prairie Meadows, pick out one race, even if you have to wait months and months and bet everything you have to show. Make one bet and that's it, dont get greedy and think 'hey this is easy" and look for ANOTHER bet, just make one bet, win, and collect your 10%.

Easy as pie. ;)

horses4courses
07-02-2013, 06:11 PM
Show bets pay 2.20 at CT and Mountaineer and Prairie Meadows, pick out one race, even if you have to wait months and months and bet everything you have to show. Make one bet and that's it, dont get greedy and think 'hey this is easy" and look for ANOTHER bet, just make one bet, win, and collect your 10%.

Easy as pie. ;)

Send it my way....I'll book that action

lamboguy
07-02-2013, 06:18 PM
my advice is to learn the difference between investing and gambling. you might find there is little difference between the 2 concepts.

there is no such thing as safe. whatever way you choose to go, make sure your risk and reward structure is in place.

the above comment about show wagering is good except i wouldn't ever put all your eggs in one race. and you better know how to be a good show bettor. there are many before you that have tried the easy money and have gone clean. i remember very clearly 2 big blowups in West Virgina, RUSSEL ROAD who had about $400,000 to show and finished a non threatening 4th. and the one that beat me pretty good was NICHOLE'S DREAM, who had over $200,000 to show and won the race and came down on a phantom takedown.

barn32
07-02-2013, 06:24 PM
If you are in the right part of the country, now is the time to buy houses. Buy single family homes and rent them out.

In ten years, the economy should (might, hopefully, maybe--nothing of course is certain) turn around enough to show a nice profit.

Houses are rebounding here in Las Vegas, especially new homes. It was about one year ago we saw the low.

Ocala Mike
07-02-2013, 06:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSxihhBzCjk

gfnut
07-02-2013, 06:39 PM
If you are in the right part of the country, now is the time to buy houses. Buy single family homes and rent them out.

In ten years, the economy should (might, hopefully, maybe--nothing of course is certain) turn around enough to show a nice profit.

Houses are rebounding here in Las Vegas, especially new homes. It was about one year ago we saw the low.

The money is coming from investment property. The wife and I are tired of dealing with rental property.

elysiantraveller
07-02-2013, 07:51 PM
PM me.

JustRalph
07-02-2013, 08:18 PM
The money is coming from investment property. The wife and I are tired of dealing with rental property.

Amen! Just had a tenant abandoned my home home in Columbus. Damage is up to 7500 already, and missed rent for at least 2 months.

It will be 10 k by the time all is said and done.

DJofSD
07-02-2013, 08:43 PM
Showing my ignorance here, but, can an exchange be executed getting out of the investment property and into a mix of RIETs?

so.cal.fan
07-02-2013, 08:57 PM
Have your broker look into Texas Permanent School Bonds.
They are high rated (you can check Bloomberg bonds). They have been around since the 1800's and are supported by Texas oil and natural gas.

Dave Schwartz
07-02-2013, 09:24 PM
Or NV Energy. They have a contract with the public service commission that guarantees the stockholders a rate of return. Our energy rates are tied directly to the need/experience for profit.

In other words, if they don't make enough return, they get to raise the rates until they do.

I don't think there are any other energy companies that have that sweet deal.

so.cal.fan
07-02-2013, 09:25 PM
Thanks Dave, I'm going to look into that.

highnote
07-02-2013, 09:59 PM

Maybe hire a management company to run it for you?

PaceAdvantage
07-02-2013, 10:29 PM
The time for buying up real estate was a couple of years ago IMO...

tucker6
07-02-2013, 10:46 PM
The time for buying up real estate was a couple of years ago IMO...
That's exactly what my broker said last week when I mentioned REITs.

PaceAdvantage
07-02-2013, 10:56 PM
Real Estate and Oil are two things everyone should buy when it's cheap. But it doesn't happen very often. Everyone will always need a place to live and oil to heat it (and drive).

Twice in my life I remember the price of oil getting chopped in half or more, and both times I've kicked myself for not buying (the first time I was 17 or so around 1986, so I can't kick myself too hard for that). But when it went under $40 in 2009 or so, how did I not buy all the contracts that I could afford? As if people were going to stop needing oil forever? And let's face it, it is a finite resource...it's not like the price is going to trend DOWN forever...

tucker6
07-02-2013, 11:09 PM
Real Estate and Oil are two things everyone should buy when it's cheap. But it doesn't happen very often. Everyone will always need a place to live and oil to heat it (and drive).

Twice in my life I remember the price of oil getting chopped in half or more, and both times I've kicked myself for not buying (the first time I was 17 or so around 1986, so I can't kick myself too hard for that). But when it went under $40 in 2009 or so, how did I not buy all the contracts that I could afford? As if people were going to stop needing oil forever? And let's face it, it is a finite resource...it's not like the price is going to trend DOWN forever...
To answer the second half of your post, turn to pipeline companies. They make their money on oil flowing through the pipe, not the price of it.

gfnut
07-02-2013, 11:23 PM
Maybe hire a management company to run it for you?

We were going to go that route if we rented again, but we fixed it up way to nice to have renters go and destroy it. So we sold it while it was in excellent condition.

gfnut
07-02-2013, 11:28 PM
Thanks Dave and So Cal. I will look into those.

JustRalph
07-02-2013, 11:39 PM
We were going to go that route if we rented again, but we fixed it up way to nice to have renters go and destroy it. So we sold it while it was in excellent condition.

I have a management company. Well worth it.

barn32
07-03-2013, 06:38 PM
Or NV Energy. They have a contract with the public service commission that guarantees the stockholders a rate of return. Our energy rates are tied directly to the need/experience for profit.

In other words, if they don't make enough return, they get to raise the rates until they do.

I don't think there are any other energy companies that have that sweet deal.I don't know the details, but perhaps this is one of the reasons Warren Buffet bought NV Energy.