PDA

View Full Version : Worst Loss of Firefighters Since 9/11

Ocala Mike
07-02-2013, 01:41 PM
Surprised no thread about this yet, so I'll start one. This is just a horrific tragedy, and I have to wonder with the prevalence of these wildfires, should there be a rethinking of just how we can fight them with less risk, technology-wise.

Wouldn't those foil and tarp shelters just mean you're going to be baked like an Idaho potato in an oven?

http://www.startribune.com/nation/213809841.html

johnhannibalsmith
07-02-2013, 02:03 PM
Living just a short drive from where all of this happened (right on the heels of another nearby fire that had just been contained), I have to be reminded by people that have lived here longer than I why things like this are at the very least, tough to prevent. These guys do what they can to hike off ready to do the grunt work and attempt to contain something out off the beaten path on its way to civilization while more resources are pooled and coordinated. Anybody that has spent time in the "northern part" (above PHX) of Arizona knows how unbelievably wicked winds can just appear from nowhere and go any which way. My initial reaction too was basically "what the hell could have gone so wrong that a dozen and a half of the trained first responders all got trapped?". But, after listening to people that know a lot more about fire than I do, I guess it really does fit the definition of sort of a freak tragedy. It's not like these guys don't deal with this all the time and the area itself is dealing with it every day - I'm not sure that there's much more you can do other than thank these guys that are willing to risk that sort of demise for jumping in the middle of the shitstorm, usually with success, to try to protect your home or business or pet or whatever. Pretty dreary for a small community.

Marshall Bennett
07-02-2013, 04:08 PM
Folks take firefighters for granted until they either need them or this happens.
Rip tough guys.

Grits
07-02-2013, 05:15 PM
These courageous men, may they rest in peace. May their families be comforted by their love and their memories. Heartbreaking... :(

Ocala Mike
07-03-2013, 11:15 AM
Apparently not everyone shares your views, Grits:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/03/westboro-baptist-church-arizona-firefighters_n_3537291.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000 003&ir=Politics

johnhannibalsmith
07-03-2013, 11:22 AM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/03/westboro-baptist-church-arizona-firefighters_n_3537291.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000 003&ir=Politics

I hope that sorry ass cult realizes that this is still a bit of the wild west here. Local cops in one-percenter gangs and holstered pistols in every market. This may not be their wisest choice of destinations.

Tom
07-03-2013, 01:20 PM
We should just declare these morons target and allow citizens to shoot them on site. Like thinning the deer herds, or de-rating a building. Only the rats has better personalities. And some might regret the loss of a few rats.

What total wastes of skin the lot of them.
Here's hoping some of them run into "unfortunate" accidents. ;);) nod nod

Robert Goren
07-03-2013, 01:27 PM
Folks take firefighters for granted until they either need them or this happens.
Rip tough guys.Or until their labor contracts is up. Then they are most over paid and under worked people around according to some.

Grits
07-03-2013, 07:22 PM
OMike, firemen are good at holding fires back, wait and see how good they and the friends of these deceased firemen are at holding back this little punk crew of lowlifes.

TJDave
07-03-2013, 07:46 PM
Sprint in Kansas City, MO August 3, 2013 6:15 PM - 7:00 PM

WBC to picket Taylor Swift to remind her and this filthy generation that they have a duty to obey God - no matter what. This "girl next door" wannabe uses her music to advocate for fornication early and often. She pretends to be moral, while she hops from bed to bed like a proud whore. She is incredibly popular among the young ladies and thus has a giant platform. All she has to do is to STOP fornicating, and tell her followers to do the same. But doing so would cost her millions and her followers would scatter. She needs to quit using her talent that God gave her to advocate for sin and use it, in return to the God that gave it to her, to warn her fellow man of the coming destruction. Instead she worships man - Barack & Michelle Obama can't save your never dying soul. It is time to stop worshiping the creature and start worshiping the Creator. Taylor's parents raised her to be the whore she is today by giving no thought to her never-dying soul and making her an improper example for the young whores of this doomed country. Shame on you! Obey Today!

JustRalph
07-03-2013, 08:05 PM
Or until their labor contracts is up. Then they are most over paid and under worked people around according to some.

Having had a close relationship with many fireman, including the best man at my wedding, there is tons of waste in the fire service. It just depends on the department.

But this forum/thread s not the place. These men are dishonored by adding politics etc to the current discussion. You should have never dropped it into the discussion :ThmbDown:

horses4courses
07-03-2013, 08:16 PM

Pathetic people.
The media should ignore them completely.

LottaKash
07-03-2013, 08:59 PM
Or until their labor contracts is up. Then they are most over paid and under worked people around according to some.

BOO....:ThmbDown: