PDA

View Full Version : Weight loss

witchdoctor
06-30-2013, 09:50 PM
After years of gaining weight, I finally decided to take my own advice and signed up for Precision nutrition's lean eating plan. Their sales pitch appealed to me in that they said that people fail because they try to change everything at once. The plan was to start a new habit every 2 weeks and over time you would see results. Over the past 10 months, I was able to loss 61 pounds and 17% body fat. In doing so, I am one of the 21 finalists for their contest. I would appreciate if I could get you to vote for me. I am candidate number 5.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/finalists-men-july-2013

Dave Schwartz
06-30-2013, 10:08 PM
I do not see where you vote.

JustRalph
06-30-2013, 10:11 PM
Done

Nice work! Congrats!

JustRalph
06-30-2013, 10:12 PM
I do not see where you vote.

Scroll to bottom. Look for "Click here to vote".

iceknight
07-01-2013, 02:22 AM
I am one of the 21 finalists for their contest. I would appreciate if I could get you to vote for me. I am candidate number 5.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/finalists-men-july-2013Good job. Voted for #5, if you win you should throw a party with celery sticks and water as the main..jk..Enjoy!

lamboguy
07-01-2013, 04:18 AM
one of the toughest things in life is to change your lifestyle habits all at once. one of the biggest things to losing and keeping weight off is exercise. it is very tough to start and stay on a program that has all the changes built into it at the start. i have helped plenty of people lose weight, i try to get them to first get their eating habits down pat, and if the person has lost 20 pounds in a month, i try to get them to introduce exercise into life. maybe starting with walks, and moving on to jogging or running, then some type of weight training.

congratulations to all that are successful at losing and keeping their weight off.

my wife lost 100 pounds and put back on 125, so i know that its not easy, in order to attain your goal you have to have your mind made up before you start and stay motivated.

fast4522
07-01-2013, 05:21 AM
Not to discount anyone or what they have posted, what has not been mentioned is the zeroing of adding salt and its effect short and long term. Double the greens and a 99 % reduction in salt is a worthy discussion if somebody wants to go there. People giving up salt is almost like the Congress spending less money, not very popular for those with the shaker.

PICSIX
07-01-2013, 07:14 AM
Nice job, you should be proud of yourself. :ThmbUp:

Voted #5.

Having to scroll through all of those dudes, not so cool :ThmbDown: :lol:

maddog42
07-01-2013, 07:55 AM
Good luck Witch!!

Dave Schwartz
07-01-2013, 10:27 AM
Good luck, Rick.

And great job! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

mabred
07-01-2013, 11:00 AM
VOTING CLOSED???

GL
mabred

Valuist
07-01-2013, 11:01 AM
Not to discount anyone or what they have posted, what has not been mentioned is the zeroing of adding salt and its effect short and long term. Double the greens and a 99 % reduction in salt is a worthy discussion if somebody wants to go there. People giving up salt is almost like the Congress spending less money, not very popular for those with the shaker.

Same could be said for sugar.

iceknight
07-01-2013, 11:02 AM
Not to discount anyone or what they have posted, what has not been mentioned is the zeroing of adding salt and its effect short and long term. Double the greens and a 99 % reduction in salt is a worthy discussion if somebody wants to go there. People giving up salt is almost like the Congress spending less money, not very popular for those with the shaker. This is an excellent point, on another note.. although I use real butter (sparingly) in many recipes/food, I use unsalted butter.
Not using salt in many things and not using sugar in coffee, those are the biggest things I have given up in the last 5 years... it has been a good start to maintaining weight levels.

Dave Schwartz
07-01-2013, 11:36 AM
As one who has struggled with obesity, (and am winning the battle these last 2 years) I can tell you that the "big three" (salt, sugar and fat) are at the root of the problem.

However, if you are obese, limiting them (or even cutting them out altogether) will not solve the problem. It takes more extreme measures.

What Witchdoctor has done is extreme.

My guess would be that right now WD is feeling like he is so empowered that he could whip the world.

I have known him for many years. He is a fine man and deserves this. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

PaceAdvantage
07-01-2013, 03:26 PM
VOTING CLOSED???

GL
mabredYeah, I got that message too just now...

wiffleball whizz
07-01-2013, 04:16 PM
Funny this thread should pop up today after this morning I told myself enough is enough with bullshit foods.....I went into the shed before and took out the bike pumped air in the tires and my fat ass went 7/10th of a mile to the butcher shop and got a turkey and cheese wrap.....I was huffing and puffing and got back on the bike and rode halfway home before I was gassed and had to walk a block or 2.......

I do take some appetite suppressants to help curb the appetite....I'm very mad at myself for becoming like this.....I guess I way about 240 or so and I'm gonna be 200 before I move to Maryland I don't care how I do it....

I applaud anybody on here that is trying to reduce weight....

Im gonn hold strong on this diet this time....I'm gonn eat wraps and salads....I have gotten very addicted to this new Haagen dazs peanut butter pie ice cream....my downfall was this being on sale for 5 for $10 and I went on a all out ice cream assault...now I spend the 4.29 at Wawa for it on a nightly basis...

So I'm gonna start with this menu

12pm turkey and cheese wrap
5pm Ceasers salad with grilled chicken
9pm apples
3am while at work maybe another salad or so

My biggest problem has been if I gambled all night I stop at the McDonald's and get sometimg there before I go to sleep....these days are over

Once again to OP best of luck with your battle against weight loss

thaskalos
07-01-2013, 05:13 PM
Funny this thread should pop up today after this morning I told myself enough is enough with bullshit foods.....I went into the shed before and took out the bike pumped air in the tires and my fat ass went 7/10th of a mile to the butcher shop and got a turkey and cheese wrap.....I was huffing and puffing and got back on the bike and rode halfway home before I was gassed and had to walk a block or 2.......

I do take some appetite suppressants to help curb the appetite....I'm very mad at myself for becoming like this.....I guess I way about 240 or so and I'm gonna be 200 before I move to Maryland I don't care how I do it....

I applaud anybody on here that is trying to reduce weight....

Im gonn hold strong on this diet this time....I'm gonn eat wraps and salads....I have gotten very addicted to this new Haagen dazs peanut butter pie ice cream....my downfall was this being on sale for 5 for $10 and I went on a all out ice cream assault...now I spend the 4.29 at Wawa for it on a nightly basis...

So I'm gonna start with this menu

12pm turkey and cheese wrap
5pm Ceasers salad with grilled chicken
9pm apples
3am while at work maybe another salad or so

My biggest problem has been if I gambled all night I stop at the McDonald's and get sometimg there before I go to sleep....these days are over

Once again to OP best of luck with your battle against weight loss

I am affiliated with a grocery store...and they carry some wonderful taffy apples.

If you are interested, send me an address.

My treat...for all the great contributions you've made to this site. :)

Tom
07-01-2013, 08:58 PM
You motivated me to lose 120 pounds of ugly fat.
I got a divorce!

ba dum.

Congrats...I got my vote in last night.

btw, #2 looks like he could use a sandwich! :eek:

witchdoctor
07-01-2013, 10:45 PM
First, thanks for everyone who voted for me. They sure closed the polls quickly. It was a amazing journey learning how to eat differently. I had tried several things in the past but couldn't stick to them. The Precision Nutrition people gave you small challenges that added up to big changes over time. I learned more about nutrition in the past year than I did in 4 years of medical school. If anyone is interested in this approach, you can get an overview in Martin Rooney's book Warrior Cardio. Dr Berardi wrote the chapter on nutrition and covers 60% of what we went over in the past year.

http://www.amazon.com/Warrior-Cardio-Revolutionary-Metabolic-ebook/dp/B005LBYQ4Y/ref=sr_1_1_bnp_1_kin?ie=UTF8&qid=1372732915&sr=8-1&keywords=martin+rooney+warrior+cardio

The exercise program is similar to Alwyn Cosgrove's New Rules of Lifting books.

http://www.amazon.com/Rules-Lifting-Supercharged-Deluxe-ebook/dp/B00A31GRU8/ref=sr_1_2?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1372733003&sr=1-2&keywords=new+rules+of+lifting

http://www.amazon.com/Rules-Lifting-Life-Muscle-Building-ebook/dp/B0074VTHIY/ref=sr_1_3?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1372733003&sr=1-3&keywords=new+rules+of+lifting

http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Rules-Lifting-ebook/dp/B004FPYZS4/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1372733003&sr=1-4&keywords=new+rules+of+lifting

witchdoctor
07-01-2013, 10:48 PM
You motivated me to lose 120 pounds of ugly fat.
I got a divorce!

ba dum.

Tom

I know several doctors that got a divorce and they would up losing more than 120 pounds. :)

JustRalph
07-01-2013, 11:29 PM
The wife and I walked a half mile tonight ( new routine after dinner) and I proved to her that I could still outrun her in a sixty yard dash, in spite of the back injury :lol:

Cherish the small victory.....

Down 14 in the last 5 weeks

wiffleball whizz
07-02-2013, 12:31 AM
The wife and I walked a half mile tonight ( new routine after dinner) and I proved to her that I could still outrun her in a sixty yard dash, in spite of the back injury :lol:

Nice!!!!!!

wiffleball whizz
07-02-2013, 12:32 AM
I am affiliated with a grocery store...and they carry some wonderful taffy apples.

If you are interested, send me an address.

My treat...for all the great contributions you've made to this site. :)

Thanks....I've never heard of taffy apples before

badcompany
07-02-2013, 12:57 AM
205lb man, with 8% Bodyfat, here.

Congrats on the weight loss, WD, but, for those who really want to lose weight, you don't need Precision Nutrition, Jenny Craig, Weightwatchers, et al. All you need is a little know how, a commitment and the mental toughness to stick to your diet even if someone sticks a gun in your mouth and tells you to break it.

The people I see who fail at weight loss do so because they view the task as a short term proposition as opposed to a lifestyle change. Unless you're interested in the latter, don't waste your time. You'll just gain the weight back.

Okay, now here are the nuts and bolts:

Phase One: Diet

Your staples are lean proteins and veggies. For protein, I eat chicken, no skin, turkey, hard boiled egg whites with and occasional yolk, and fish without breading.

Use mustard, which has no calories, to give the protein some taste. So, it's not like you're eating cardboard. On a day that you don't eat eggs, have a small bag, 200 calories, of almonds. That's your fats.

For veggies, I eat a lot of Mesclun Salad which has almost no calories but has a lot of volume, which fills you up. I also eat red peppers which have a ton of vitamin C , asparagus, and broccoli. You can put a little low fat Italian dressing on the salad. The mustard works on the other veggies.

Mix and match the proteins and veggies for 3-4 meals a day for a total of about 1200 calories. The typical amount of the proteins is 6-8 oz.

For drinks: water, diet soda, and one coffee or ice coffee a day w/ a bit of milk and nutrisweet.

Here's what you DON'T eat: White carbs of any kind. No effin' bread, pasta, French fries, or sweets of any kind. NONE! This is the stuff that makes you fat.

Stay on this diet, without cheating, until you can only pinch a 1/2 inch of belly fat, then, go to:

Phase Two: Maintenance

Same as Phase One, except that you allow yourself 2-3 cheat meals a week. Eat whatever you want. Have desert. Just don't be a pig.

If you find yourself gaining back too much weight. Go back to Phase One until lean, again.

Be active. Walk a lot. Do some push ups, sit ups, deep knee bends, or lift some weights if you're so inclined.

That's basically it.

Good luck.

I'll be happy to answer questions if anybody has them.

There are enough people on this thread who have seen me and know I practice what I preach.

PaceAdvantage
07-02-2013, 01:04 AM
All you need is a little know how, a commitment and the mental toughness to stick to your diet even if someone sticks a gun in your mouth and tells you to break it.Yup, it is that simple. However, the programs you mention that may or may not be necessary can help kick start someone in the right direction. Whether phase one is done on one's own or through the help of a commercial program, NEITHER will work if one doesn't have a certain level of commitment and mental toughness.

So really, it doesn't really matter how phase one comes about, as long as it comes about. The first step is always one of the hardest...

badcompany
07-02-2013, 01:13 AM
Yup, it is that simple. However, the programs you mention that may or may not be necessary can help kick start someone in the right direction. Whether phase one is done on one's own or through the help of a commercial program, NEITHER will work if one doesn't have a certain level of commitment and mental toughness.

So really, it doesn't really matter how phase one comes about, as long as it comes about. The first step is always one of the hardest...

IMO, those programs are a crutch. Better to go it on your own, and, get used to not having someone hold your hand. That said, I'm a tough love kinda guy. Some people might benefit from them.

thaskalos
07-02-2013, 01:23 AM
205lb man, with 8% Bodyfat, here.

Congrats on the weight loss, WD, but, for those who really want to lose weight, you don't need Precision Nutrition, Jenny Craig, Weightwatchers, et al. All you need is a little know how, a commitment and the mental toughness to stick to your diet even if someone sticks a gun in your mouth and tells you to break it.

The people I see who fail at weight loss do so because they view the task as a short term proposition as opposed to a lifestyle change. Unless you're interested in the latter, don't waste your time. You'll just gain the weight back.

Okay, now here are the nuts and bolts:

Phase One: Diet

Your staples are lean proteins and veggies. For protein, I eat chicken, no skin, turkey, hard boiled egg whites with and occasional yolk, and fish without breading.

Use mustard, which has no calories, to give the protein some taste. So, it's not like you're eating cardboard. On a day that you don't eat eggs, have a small bag, 200 calories, of almonds. That's your fats.

For veggies, I eat a lot of Mesclun Salad which has almost no calories but has a lot of volume, which fills you up. I also eat red peppers which have a ton of vitamin C , asparagus, and broccoli. You can put a little low fat Italian dressing on the salad. The mustard works on the other veggies.

Mix and match the proteins and veggies for 3-4 meals a day for a total of about 1200 calories. The typical amount of the proteins is 6-8 oz.

For drinks: water, diet soda, and one coffee or ice coffee a day w/ a bit of milk and nutrisweet.

Here's what you DON'T eat: White carbs of any kind. No effin' bread, pasta, French fries, or sweets of any kind. NONE! This is the stuff that makes you fat.

Stay on this diet, without cheating, until you can only pinch a 1/2 inch of belly fat, then, go to:

Phase Two: Maintenance

Same as Phase One, except that you allow yourself 2-3 cheat meals a week. Eat whatever you want. Have desert. Just don't be a pig.

If you find yourself gaining back too much weight. Go back to Phase One until lean, again.

Be active. Walk a lot. Do some push ups, sit ups, deep knee bends, or lift some weights if you're so inclined.

That's basically it.

Good luck.

I'll be happy to answer questions if anybody has them.

There are enough people on this thread who have seen me and know I practice what I preach.

Do you eat fruit?

How is your energy level at 1,200 calories a day?

How about supplements?

nijinski
07-02-2013, 01:29 AM
BC that's one tough diet you put out there . I don't know too many of the
frequent dieters I know that could stick to it too long . Then the problem is'
you may binge on the foods you like .
I think most just have to get out and move more . Burn the calories .

thaskalos
07-02-2013, 01:31 AM
BC that's one tough diet you put out there . I don't know too many of the
frequent dieters I know that could stick to it too long . Then the problem is'
you may binge on the foods you like .
I think most just have to get out and move more . Burn the calories .

The problem is that it's a lot easier -- and quicker -- to EAT the calories than it is to burn them...

nijinski
07-02-2013, 01:32 AM

:ThmbUp: to you and your wife !

nijinski
07-02-2013, 01:36 AM
The problem is that it's a lot easier -- and quicker -- to EAT the calories than it is to burn them...
True and I realize that . Portion control always helps too ! I'm
just not a big believer in drastic diet changes so fast . I've seen too many
fail .

thaskalos
07-02-2013, 01:54 AM
True and I realize that . Portion control always helps too ! I'm
just not a big believer in drastic diet changes so fast . I've seen too many
fail .

I have found that a person is much more likely to stick to a diet if he commits to a regular exercise program.

For some reason...when a person is able to show discipline in one part of his life, it's easier to carry it out in another part.

A few years ago...my weight had topped out at 216 at the height of 5' 11"...and I felt terrible. I tried dieting, and would lose the extra weight...but I would eventually go back to my old eating habits...and the weight would return.

Well...a 24-hour gym opened up a block away from my house...and it gave me all the motivation that I needed.

I am now a regular fixture of that gym every night at 2 am...and as a result...I have had no trouble sticking to a sensible diet.

I guess I subconsciously figured that, since I decided to make the effort to exercise every day...then I shouldn't sabotage that effort with bad eating habits.

I am now 185 lbs, and in the best shape of my life...at 51 years old.

As a diet...I eat no sugar or white flour in any of their forms...and the only meat I eat is fish, wild caught.

I eat whenever I am hungry without counting calories...and I have had no trouble keeping the weight off.

Stillriledup
07-02-2013, 02:12 AM
I have found that a person is much more likely to stick to a diet if he commits to a regular exercise program.

For some reason...when a person is able to show discipline in one part of his life, it's easier to carry it out in another part.

A few years ago...my weight had topped out at 216 at the height of 5' 11"...and I felt terrible. I tried dieting, and would lose the extra weight...but I would eventually go back to my old eating habits...and the weight would return.

Well...a 24-hour gym opened up a block away from my house...and it gave me all the motivation that I needed.

I am now a regular fixture of that gym every night at 2 am...and as a result...I have had no trouble sticking to a sensible diet.

I guess I subconsciously figured that, since I decided to make the effort to exercise every day...then I shouldn't sabotage that effort with bad eating habits.

I am now 185 lbs, and in the best shape of my life...at 51 years old.

As a diet...I eat no sugar or white flour in any of their forms...and the only meat I eat is fish, wild caught.

I eat whenever I am hungry without counting calories...and I have had no trouble keeping the weight off.

This is a very motivating post, i'm proud of you, keep grinding it out, its worth it!

badcompany
07-02-2013, 06:23 AM
Do you eat fruit?

How is your energy level at 1,200 calories a day?

How about supplements?

I eat no fruit, too many carbs and too easy to over indulge. It's a lot easier to over eat cherries than broccoli. I get plenty of vitamins and minerals from the large amount of veggies in the diet I outlined. Energy is plentiful. I run 3 miles, and life weights twice a week. People overestimate the number of calories they need, especially as they get older. As the metabolism slows and we tend to get more sedentary, it stands to reason that we should eat less, as we age.

Supplements are another crutch, with a healthy diet you don't need them, but a one a day multi-vitamin shouldn't hurt.

badcompany
07-02-2013, 06:28 AM

Very true. There's a saying that you can't work off a bad diet. Losing weight is all about calorie reduction. When you start talking about "working it off," you're already setting yourself up to fail.

pandy
07-02-2013, 08:00 AM
Congratulations Witch Doctor. That transformation is quite an accomplishment.