PDA

View Full Version : NYRA's Mobile Apps

Cratos
06-30-2013, 03:15 PM
Please comment on NYRA’s mobile apps for Aqueduct, Saratoga, and Belmont. For those of you who have not seen them or do not have smartphones this is what you get at each racetrack and each racetrack is individualized:

• Entries
• Results
• Scratches
• Track Conditions
• Race Replays
• Workouts
• News
• Talking Horses
• Toteboard
• General Information
• Directions
• Calendar
• Dining
• Horsemen Info
• Wagering 101
• NYRA Rewards

I did not go into an explanation of each feature because I think they are self-explanatory by their names, but I do think this is a step in the right direction in using technology to keep the horseplayer better informed about his/her racetrack. However it would be good if DRF or Equibase would create similar mobile apps for each racetrack. I realize that DRF and Equibase have different interest in informing the bettor, but they are the “keepers of the racing data.”

NTamm1215
06-30-2013, 05:22 PM
Please comment on NYRA’s mobile apps for Aqueduct, Saratoga, and Belmont. For those of you who have not seen them or do not have smartphones this is what you get at each racetrack and each racetrack is individualized:

• Entries
• Results
• Scratches
• Track Conditions
• Race Replays
• Workouts
• News
• Talking Horses
• Toteboard
• General Information
• Directions
• Calendar
• Dining
• Horsemen Info
• Wagering 101
• NYRA Rewards

I did not go into an explanation of each feature because I think they are self-explanatory by their names, but I do think this is a step in the right direction in using technology to keep the horseplayer better informed about his/her racetrack. However it would be good if DRF or Equibase would create similar mobile apps for each racetrack. I realize that DRF and Equibase have different interest in informing the bettor, but they are the “keepers of the racing data.”

There's a difference between an "app" and a mobile site. You have detailed NYRA's mobile site, which is excellent and clearly the standard bearer for the industry.

Equibase has an "app" which is called "Today's Racing." It features all of the basic and most-visited pages on the Equibase site (entries, results, changes) as well as racetrack schedules and easy links to Virtual Stables and Carryover pages on the mobile site. You download this from the App Store or Google Play, depending on your device.

Equibase also has a mobile site, which has much of what the app does as well.

Apps are not available on apple devices which allow you to gamble. Thus, we'll forever have sites like Twinspires Mobile, but there will never be a Twinspires app.

DRF is woefully far behind in terms of mobile technology. It doesn't help that their regular website itself is subpar. They have a long way to go to catch up.

Al Gobbi
06-30-2013, 06:24 PM
Racing needs to do a better job with getting the apps out to everybody. Case in point Churchill Downs and Breeders' Cup have an app but those who have Android systems can't download it.

Longshot6977
06-30-2013, 08:13 PM
If I had the proper cell phone, I would use this site. It has live video and audio streams besides all the regular stuff.

http://www.horseracesnow.com/about-app.shtml

PaceAdvantage
06-30-2013, 09:04 PM
DRF is woefully far behind in terms of mobile technology. It doesn't help that their regular website itself is subpar. They have a long way to go to catch up.I find the DRF TicketMaker app to be pretty useful at times.

cordep17
06-30-2013, 11:58 PM
If I had the proper cell phone, I would use this site. It has live video and audio streams besides all the regular stuff.

http://www.horseracesnow.com/about-app.shtml

Of course Fairmount is not involved with this....of course they aren't.

Cratos
07-05-2013, 03:41 PM
There's a difference between an "app" and a mobile site. You have detailed NYRA's mobile site, which is excellent and clearly the standard bearer for the industry.

Equibase has an "app" which is called "Today's Racing." It features all of the basic and most-visited pages on the Equibase site (entries, results, changes) as well as racetrack schedules and easy links to Virtual Stables and Carryover pages on the mobile site. You download this from the App Store or Google Play, depending on your device.

Equibase also has a mobile site, which has much of what the app does as well.

Apps are not available on apple devices which allow you to gamble. Thus, we'll forever have sites like Twinspires Mobile, but there will never be a Twinspires app.

DRF is woefully far behind in terms of mobile technology. It doesn't help that their regular website itself is subpar. They have a long way to go to catch up.

Thanks for making the distinction between an “app” and a mobile site; admittedly I knew the difference, but I didn’t discern it until after I submitted my post.

However your post was much better and more informative than mine and I hope many posters read your post; and got the essence of your message.

Therefore what is need to be added either to mobile sites or as a downloadable app is a predictive app for handicapping. I understand that there are some speed figure apps out there, but they don’t get the job done. What is needed in my opinion is an app with an integrated approach that will assess and weigh all of the fundamental contributors (e.g., weight, distance. Class, etc) to a horse's winning or losing of a race.