PDA

View Full Version : NHL 2013-2014

Pages : [1] 2

Jay Trotter
06-30-2013, 12:39 PM
The new season begins today with the NHL Draft. Draft is live on TSN in Canada. First round is always an exciting time for hockey enthusiasts.

Thought I would start the new season hockey thread with this event. Congrats to the 2013 Stanley Cup Champion Chicago Blackhawks. Now let's here your opinions going forward.

Go Jets Go!

OTM Al
06-30-2013, 02:10 PM
As a fairly new Islanders fan, it looks like this team has a chance to continue to move forward. Poulin is supposed to be the goal tender of the future, so it will be interesting if they try to resign Nabokov. Certainly don't know enough about the draft to comment there, but Isles do have some nice young players from their previous ineptitude.

MutuelClerk
06-30-2013, 02:32 PM
Being a hockey geek this day is better than the Super Bowl to me. I think there's gonna be a lot of activity today. The talent is deep, the cap is dropping things are going to happen today. Teams have to make moves. All the GM's in the same building. Should be exciting. And just for Jay..... GO LEAFS GO!!!

ManU918
06-30-2013, 02:43 PM
As a Flyers fan I am hoping they make a deal for a goalie today.

Jay Trotter
06-30-2013, 03:26 PM
As a Flyers fan I am hoping they make a deal for a goalie today.What, you don't like that nutbar, Bryzgalov? :lol:

ldiatone
06-30-2013, 04:51 PM
pens have traded T kennedy for 2nd rounder. there is a rumor letang signed a new contract. but no word on the pens website.
well this next year it will be a full 82 pre-season before the playoffs(real season) starts :rolleyes:

ManU918
06-30-2013, 05:09 PM
What, you don't like that nutbar, Bryzgalov? :lol:

They bought him out several days ago.

Jay Trotter
06-30-2013, 05:27 PM
Big Trade....Cory Schneider (Van) for 9th Overall Draft Pick (NJ). Word has it NJ got the best of this as Edmonton was offering much more for Schneider but the Canucks obviously didn't want him remaining in the same division.

This is a surprising move as everyone expected Luongo to be the goalie on the move.

MutuelClerk
06-30-2013, 05:38 PM
I thought Zadorov was the best of the London Knight prospects. Buffalo did well it pains me to say. I really like that kid. I wanted Kerby Rychel to go to the Leafs but he went a couple picks before. Thought there would be more action.

HoofedInTheChest
06-30-2013, 07:26 PM
Leafs trade 3 draft picks to Chicago to acquire hometown boy Dave Bolland. :ThmbUp:

Leafs got what they were looking for in Gauthier, a 6'4" center that is defensively responsible with an offensive upside, not sure if he will be an immediate asset but i am happy they went with a Canadian kid.

I thought we would see more wheeling and dealing today, but it was a relatively quiet day. I am happy that the Leafs didn't get sucked into trading for Lou, very happy about the Bernier acquisition.

The real fun starts next Friday.

p.s. Jets Suck!

Jay Trotter
08-01-2013, 09:39 PM
The good 'ol hockey thread has been very quiet.....let's talk a little hockey. What has your team done to improve this summer?

The Jets have locked up the young core of the team with lengthy contracts:

2015-2016 Byfuglien, Ladd
2016-2017 Pavelec
2017-2018 Kane, Little, Enstrom
2018-2019 Wheeler
2019-2020 Bogosian

First round selections Trouba and Scheifele set to come on board. Solid front office and coaching is in place.

Word has it that Dustin Byfuglien is in the best shape of his life. The Buff is "buff" and looking to have a huge year.

I'll take the Jets over the Leafs this year! :jump: Too bad the Leafs have Carlyle to help keep them competitive.

MutuelClerk
08-02-2013, 10:11 AM
25 years ago the Great One traded. Damn, I'm getting old. Can't wait for hockey this year. I get to see Connor McDavid in about six weeks. Maybe the next great one. We'll see.

ldiatone
08-02-2013, 05:51 PM
pens have signed latang-dupuis. have some good d-men in there system. signed 2 goalies(prospects). and Marc a Fluery is visiting a sports shrink :eek: and also have signed d man scuderi

notoutofpounds
08-02-2013, 09:47 PM
Apparently with the Rolling Stones tour over, the Stones have granted permission to the Toronto Maple Leafs to use the "50 and Counting" slogan to market their ongoing futile pursuit of the Stanley Cup.

ManU918
08-03-2013, 05:20 AM
In:
Vincent Lecavalier
Ray Emery
Mark Streit
Kris Newbury

Out:
Danny Briere
Bryzgalov

I am hoping Jason Akeson makes the club but I'm not sure where there would put him. Overall I like the moves the Flyers have made.

notoutofpounds
08-03-2013, 01:11 PM
Top 10 Headlines

:1: Leafs Endure Heartbreaking Collapse in Game 7 Loss

:2: Maple Leafs Blow Lead to Bruins Lose Game 7 in Overtime

:3: A People's History of the Maple Leafs Game 7 Meltdown

:4: Owner of Toronto Diner Excited for Game 7

:5: Toronto Maple Leafs Collapse Sees Boston Bruins Move On

:6: Judge Lets Sequestered Jury Watch Leafs - Bruins Game 7

:7: Beantown Beatdown

:8:Leafs Crumble in Game 7 to Experienced Bruins

:9: Captain Dion Phaneuf Seemed in Shock

:10: They (Leaf fans) don't break things

Valuist
08-13-2013, 11:46 AM
Those Stanley Cup rings are quite highly coveted:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9563191/whitey-bulger-wants-stanley-cup-ring-back-report-says

HoofedInTheChest
08-22-2013, 02:57 PM
The good 'ol hockey thread has been very quiet.....let's talk a little hockey. What has your team done to improve this summer?

I'll take the Jets over the Leafs this year! :jump: Too bad the Leafs have Carlyle to help keep them competitive.
Deja Vu?
Do you really want to put yourself through this again? The one factor the Pegger's are in denial about is the Conference change, if you couldn't make the play-offs in the Southeast division (worst division in hockey), what makes you think it's going to be any easier in the West? The Jets will be even more exposed in the West than they were in the East, and there won't be any soft division match-ups to pad your results in the standings.

It's great to hear Big Buff finally decided to get into shape, it only took him 8 pro seasons for him to finally realize that it might be a good idea to show up in shape, i guess he doesn't use Prince Fielder's conditioning coach anymore. Hopefully he laid off the schmeez this summer, i didn't hear of any boating incidents as of yet. He's a great player, even for an American, but his conditioning was his biggest downfall and i hope he turns it around, he should be a bigger asset than he already is.

Truth be told, i like the Jets and i'm glad they have a team back, as well the new logo rocks, but i enjoy bustin Trotters balls. They have a good core of talent with some really good prospects, but i question some of the character on the team. My prediction for the upcoming season is they finish with less points than the previous season.

Toronto Maple Leafs

The Leafs blew it in game 7, and to some this was expected and laughable, but a lot of people are missing the positives. They were down 3 games to 1 to the Bruins, and had the heart and testicular fortitude to battle back to almost eliminate them within a couple of minutes. Show me another team other than the Black Hawks that gave the Bruins a go throughout the play-offs, you can't. What the Buds lacked was experience, and were dealt a valuable lesson in the process, this will pay dividends in the future.

The biggest problem they have right now is cap space, they have 5mil left to sign Kadri and Franson, and i really don't see both getting signed with Franson being the odd man out. It's unfortunate because i really like Franson, but you have to go with goal production at the end of the day.

Goaltending will be a positive this season, with two legitimate #1's fighting for ice time, gotta love it.

I have some concerns on defence, i have never been a huge Phaneuf fan and i think he has to engage the play a little more to be affective, and i just don't think he has the foot speed to accomplish this. Mark Fraser is a huge concern, my favorite D-man had his cranium cracked open, and was told by the doctors he can never be hit there again, so i guess his fighting days are over, but still a brilliant shut down d-man. The D should be more productive offensively this year, but they still have some dead weight to unload (Lyles) to make room for Reilly, but again cap space will be a problem.

They made some great local acquisitions in the off-season, adding Boland and Clarkson to the line-up, if you thought the Buds were tough to play against last year...... it's nice to see the Leafs finally realize that the best players come from Ontario and not Europe! Speaking of European players, they unloaded Grabo with a buy-out, and we lost Komarov to the KHL, now they just have to unload Kulemin and i will be a happy camper.

The only let down this summer was hiring Steve Spott as the Marlies new head coach, the job he did with the National Jr Team speaks volumes. I was sad to see Eakins go, he did a great job developing talent and i suspect Edmonton will thrive underneath him. (Maybe this year Trotter!)

Overall, i like the look of the Leafs this season but i'm not holding my breath on a Cup, they will make the play-offs again this year and should be a competitive team, i'm just not sure if they have enough to take it all.

Trotter, you can PM me with this years agreement, i still haven't collected on last years.....

Jay Trotter
08-31-2013, 08:54 AM
Teemu is awesome......

sRkcl_RHwoc&feature

HoofedInTheChest
09-01-2013, 08:53 AM
Teemu is awesome......

In his prime he was awesome, but at 43 he is a bit of a boat anchor. It's a bit of a strange signing if you ask me, seeing that the NHL is all about youth and speed these days, and his old knees won't help any.

Good luck to him, but i think the only reason he is returning is to get one last opportunity at the Olympics, but the big ice will be tough for him to overcome, if he can even make the squad.

https://www.clubhockeycanada.ca/images/common/logo_hdr_chc.png

Jay Trotter
09-01-2013, 09:45 AM
In his prime he was awesome, but at 43 he is a bit of a boat anchor. You're kidding right? An anchor! :lol:

First, yes, his goal is to play in his 6th Olympic games. All time leading Olympic scorer.

He's a poster boy for the NHL and the Ducks so signing him for $2 Million for an extra year is a steal for the team when you compare that to other salaries out there. His leadership can't be questioned. He put up 66 points in the last full NHL season -- what more do you want?

If he had signed with Toronto you guys would have shot your wad several times over. Go Teemu Go!

HoofedInTheChest
09-01-2013, 11:58 AM
Lets get real here, you really think a 43 year old man can compete with the 20 somethings in the league today? Do you think he is going to get faster with time? Ya, i want to see another soft Euro on the Leafs, cmon Trotter, maybe in the Peg but not in Toronto. We're actually trying to win a cup, the last waltz days are over for the Leafs.

Last season he averaged .5 points a game, and was a -10, and averaged 2 shots on net per game, and pretty much had the same numbers in the playoffs. Ya i'm bummed the Leafs missed out on that one. :rolleyes:

Dion Phaneuf put up better numbers for christ sake. :lol:

How many games did he sit out last year because he is old and needed a break? And that was half a season with no Olympics, i can just imagine how many nights he is going to be a healthy scratch. Ya, thats the kind of guy i want on my team.

Poster boy for the league? Give your head a shake man.

I can just picture it now, Teemu puts Team Finland on his back and railroads Team Canada for the gold in the Olympics. This ranks right up there with your Edmonton pick last year.

notoutofpounds
09-01-2013, 04:31 PM
Let's compare the Leafs second line right wing and the Ducks second line right wing.

Good old tough hard nosed Canadian boy David Clarkson the $5,000,000 plodder played 48 games in 2013 had 15 goals and 9 assists for 24 points.

Finnish Flash Teemu Selanne the speedball played 46 games he only missed 2 games and scored 12 goals and 12 assists for 24 points.

Clarkson is 29 years old and still has not hit 100 career goals.

If Selanne and Clarkson had a race tomorrow Finnish Flash would be 1-20 odds to crush.

Jay Trotter
09-01-2013, 06:08 PM
Lets get real here, you really think a 43 year old man can compete with the 20 somethings in the league today?

Hoofy, you need to change your name to HoofedInTheHead! You seriously have "Easternitis". You need to get out of "the center of the world" and give your head a shake! :faint:

First off, irregardless of stats, if you can have a guy like Teemu in your locker room you're ahead of the game no matter the numbers on the board. If you paid attention to Western Conference hockey you might have a better appreciation for the guy. He is beloved by all. He is charasmatic and an all around team guy. He is the type of guy that makes his teammates better players and better people. His intangibles are off the chart.

But you want to throw out your numbers, so.....

Teemu Selanne (43) Salary $2 Million
2012-2013 46 GP 24 PTS .52 PPG $30,303/Point
2011-2012 82 GP 66 PTS .80 PPG $83,333/Point

Various Maple Bud Forwards

David Clarkson (29) Salary $5.25 Million
2012-2013 48 GP 24 PTS .50 PPG $218,750/Point
2011-2012 80 GP 46 PTS .58 PPG $114,130/Point

J. Van Riemsdyk (24) Salary $4.25 Million
2012-2013 48 GP 32 PTS .67 PPG $132,812/Point
2011-2012 43 GP 24 PTS .56 PPG $177,083/Point

Tyler Bozak (27) Salary $4.20 Million
2012-2013 46 GP 28 PTS .61 PPG $150,000/Point
2011-2012 73 GP 47 PTS .64 PPG $89,361/Point

Dave Bolland (27) Salary $3.375 Million
2012-2013 35 GP 14 PTS .40 PPG $241,071/Point
2011-2012 6 GP 3 PTS .50 PPG $1,125,000/Point

Nikolai Kulemin (27) Salary $2.80 Million
2012-2013 48 GP 23 PTS .48 PPG $121,739/Point
2011-2012 70 GP 28 PTS .40 PPG $100,000/Point

Wow, that's a whole lot of money the Maple Buds are throwin' around! Your so off base it's sad. Selanne is playing one more year for $2 Million -- that's a win/win for the team, the player, the league and the fans. Nobody said they were building a team around him. He's giving them great value when you consider the salary. He'll be great for their rookies to be around. He's earned the right to retire when he's ready. He's not some slug who needs to be shown the door.

I believe you need to retract your earlier post to save face.

anotherCAfan
09-01-2013, 06:37 PM
I need to get tickets to the Kings/Ducks outdoor game. I bet tickets for the Ducks/Jets game in Winnipeg are already sold out.

Jay Trotter
09-01-2013, 07:27 PM
I need to get tickets to the Kings/Ducks outdoor game. I bet tickets for the Ducks/Jets game in Winnipeg are already sold out.The outdoor game will be exciting. Big hype around that one I bet.

Ducks/Jets will be a tough ticket especially when you consider the Jets are sold out. A very small number of late release tickets and of course the secondary market. Not many people will be giving up their Ducks tickets.

I'm currently about 660 on the waiting list for season tickets. Got shut out when they first went up and have to wait until the 3 year and 5 year cycles end to see who renews their season tickets.

notoutofpounds
09-01-2013, 09:56 PM
$1,125,000 per point :lol:

How about that solid kid from Western Canada, good Alberta guy Joffrey Lupul, he must have played a lot of games ?

Whoops, not so fast Don Cherry, Lupul only played 16 games out of 48.

HoofedInTheChest
09-02-2013, 04:34 AM
I see the Selanne circle jerk club has convened for another season, i guess being Jets fan's you guys don't have anything substantial to hold onto seeing that your team has never accomplished anything. I get it, all you have in your rich history is a guy that popped in 76 goals in one season, so you have to hold onto what little you have. He meant so much to the organization that you shipped him off to Anaheim after 3 1/2 seasons, how did Kilger and Tverdovsky pan out? Good trade! :rolleyes:

Retract? please..... I stand by what i said, next you're going to tell me that Detroit was smart in signing Alfredsson, another old soft Euro that won't get you to the promiseland. If Anaheim was really trying to make a run at the Cup, they would have bought this guy a watch and a can of herrings and said thank-you for your services.

Trotter, i love how you conveniently left out the Leaf snipers in your comparisons. Selanne is or was an elite sniper, god knows he never laid a hit or a check on anyone, so comparing him with a tomato can like Kulemin is comical, i'll be glad when he's gone. Bolland is a checker, and you say i have blinkers on, i guess you don't watch the West either. If you're going to compare hockey players, it might be a good idea to use similar playing styles, you might as well have thrown in Reimer into the mix.

As for notoutofpounds, i don't even know where to begin. Lets start with Clarkson, the man hasn't even put on a Leaf jersey yet, and you magically know what line he is playing on? He played on a defensive minded hockey club (Jersey), so you can't make that comparison. As for the Lupul remark, ignorance at it's finest.

Go Finland!

Jay Trotter
09-02-2013, 08:36 AM
Dear Hoofy,

This little back and forth began with you. I posted a funny little video of Selanne's annoucement to play one more season and then you started pissing on him.

In his prime he was awesome, but at 43 he is a bit of a boat anchor. It's a bit of a strange signing if you ask me, seeing that the NHL is all about youth and speed these days, and his old knees won't help any.

Now I do have to hand it to you with this great little comeback...
If Anaheim was really trying to make a run at the Cup, they would have bought this guy a watch and a can of herrings and said thank-you for your services....that's a good one!

I never convienently left out any of your snipers and this was never about snipers or superstars, it was about value for your dollar. Signing Selanne for $2 Million is great value when compared to the slugs from TO I highlighted. I thought I would find one or two but heck there was a whole boatload.

You know, thinking on it, I never even brought up Toronto. How did they get in the conversation......oh yes, the world rotates around the Big Smoke, eh! :lol:

As far as the Jets trading away Selanne back in the day -- yes, that was horrible. They should have traded away that prick Tkachuk. That trade didn't work out for me at all.

A watch and a can of herring.....that's funny. Can't wait for the season to start.

HoofedInTheChest
09-02-2013, 11:44 AM
You know, thinking on it, I never even brought up Toronto. How did they get in the conversation......oh yes, the world rotates around the Big Smoke, eh! :lol:

"If he had signed with Toronto you guys would have shot your wad several times over."

Selective memory...

And yes the Big Smoke is the centre of the universe, NHL war room, Hockey Hall of Fame, Don Cherry, and the greatest gift of all..... The Buds! :lol:

MutuelClerk
09-02-2013, 12:12 PM
The season hasn't even started yet and it's getting heated. LOVE IT!! Leaf fan. We have overpaid for a couple forwards. Overall though the Leafs are young and fairly talented. They have the right coach. There finally is a future in Toronto.

Teemu? A one time great player. Still has the hands but gets knocked off the puck pretty easily these days. At two million? Decent price, but this might be the last year I pay that for him. IN a salary cap sport a lot more pressure to produce.

Connor McDavid in three weeks. GO LEAFS GO

HoofedInTheChest
09-02-2013, 12:51 PM
IN a salary cap sport a lot more pressure to produce.

You hit the nail on the head, roster spots and cap space are precious these days, no room for error.

Enough about these cheese-dicks, next topic...

Who do you like in net for Canada at the Olympics?

My money is on Crawford and Lu, with Price as the third wheel. Probably our weakest position, i would have to give the U.S. the upper hand in net.

Jay Trotter
09-02-2013, 05:01 PM
Enough about these cheese-dicks, next topic...:lol:

notoutofpounds
09-02-2013, 08:51 PM
Enough about these cheese-dicks, next topic...

I thought they were the Maple Leafs.

HoofedInTheChest
09-03-2013, 01:27 AM
I thought they were the Maple Leafs.
Yes, unfortunately there are still a few left on the team.

Mark your calenders fellas, Jan 25 and Apr 5, the big showdown between the Jets and Buds, they better not let me down again.

PaceAdvantage
09-03-2013, 01:32 AM
Hey Hoof...a little less vulgarity would be appreciated...

HoofedInTheChest
09-03-2013, 01:46 AM
Sorry about that Mike, i'll tone it down.

MutuelClerk
09-03-2013, 07:27 PM
I'm Leaf fan in the USA. I root USA in all international competitions. WJC- Olympics. Frankly I wished the WJC would replace the Olympics. It's better.

Jay Trotter
09-03-2013, 08:01 PM
I'm Leaf fan in the USA.What's wrong with you? I can excuse those "cheese d*cks" who live there but when you cheer for them willingly something has to be wrong. :lol:

cj
09-03-2013, 09:05 PM
I really think this is the year Caps w ... man, I almost made it through that post without laughing my ass off, but I couldn't pull it off.

HoofedInTheChest
09-04-2013, 12:20 AM
What's wrong with you? I can excuse those "cheese d*cks" who live there but when you cheer for them willingly something has to be wrong. :lol:
It's a very strange phenomenon, the amount of merch the Leafs sell worldwide is mindblowing, it's not like the Leafs have given the masses something to cheer about. They have a huge following in England as well as other parts of Europe, i can think of better organizations to follow but there is something about the Buds that attracts followers, maybe they enjoy the punishment.

Jay Trotter
09-05-2013, 06:04 PM
26 DAYS UNTIL THE REGULAR SEASON STARTS

AND THE MAPLE BUDS ARE TIED FOR 1st PLACE

http://static.fjcdn.com/large/pictures/30/3b/303b21_3233892.jpg

HoofedInTheChest
09-06-2013, 04:02 AM
http://media.winnipegfreepress.com/images/3062379.jpg

Jay Trotter
09-06-2013, 08:53 AM
Good one Hoofy................yes, Winterpeg is a running joke on the Simpsons. Made me laugh. :lol:

ldiatone
09-06-2013, 04:57 PM
http://media.winnipegfreepress.com/images/3062379.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNC3OciAF3w

HoofedInTheChest
09-06-2013, 05:30 PM
The new Olympic Uni was leaked, i don't know, kind of boring if you ask me. I know that their not allowed to use the Hockey Canada emblem, but this lacks some imagination. Maybe if you bling it out with some Gold it might look a little better.
http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/dynamic_resize/sws_path/suns-prod-images/1297463389024_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=420x

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Olympics/2014Sochi/2013/09/05/toews-canada-jersey-closeup.jpg

notoutofpounds
09-06-2013, 07:12 PM
Very underwhelming uniforms. Boo !

elysiantraveller
09-06-2013, 07:38 PM
The new Olympic Uni was leaked, i don't know, kind of boring if you ask me. I know that their not allowed to use the Hockey Canada emblem, but this lacks some imagination. Maybe if you bling it out with some Gold it might look a little better.
http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/dynamic_resize/sws_path/suns-prod-images/1297463389024_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=420x

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Olympics/2014Sochi/2013/09/05/toews-canada-jersey-closeup.jpg

Those suck...

HoofedInTheChest
09-14-2013, 07:01 PM
First night of preseason hockey, and we get the Jets and Cap's on the CBC, i'll take the Caps..... :lol:

For you poolies....

The top ten projected prospects for this season, whether they can make their respective clubs is still a question mark. I think it is unlikely that you will see Rielly on the Leafs this season due to cap space, but you never know. Mackinnon is a bluechip lock, the others are a wait and see.

Nathan MacKinnon - Colorado Avalanche
Seth Jones - Nashville Predators
Jonathan Drouin - Tampa Bay Lightning
Scott Laughton - Philadelphia Flyers
Sean Monahan - Calgary Flames
Morgan Rielly - Toronto Maple Leafs
Tom Wilson - Washington Capitals
Bo Horvat - Vancouver Canucks
Mathew Dumba - Minnesota Wild
Max Domi - Phoenix Coyotes

Jay Trotter
09-24-2013, 11:58 AM
One week until the puck drop and the LEAFS are still tied for First Place! :jump:

David Clarkson (29) Salary $5.25 Million

David Clarkson suspended for 10 games for leaving the bench -- does that money come off the Salary Cap or is it still included even though Clarkson won't be paid?

OTM Al
09-24-2013, 12:24 PM
Went to Islanders vs Devils preseason game at Barclays Center last Saturday. Devils came to play and Islanders didn't look so great and didn't seem to be playing very hard. Things got chippy at the end though with a couple fights, the last resulting in a 10 min major, at the end of the game.

All I can say about Barclays is awesome! If the Islanders can step up to their environs when they make the move in a couple years, they will be a team to recon with. Place is night and day compared to their current home. Even has Junior's Cheesecake as one of the concessions, which may be the greatest concession I've ever seen in a sporting arena.

Hope the Isles can move forward off of last year but not so sure it's going to happen this year with the realignment. Probably going to need to finish 3rd in their division to get in, which may be rough.

notoutofpounds
09-24-2013, 01:34 PM
The Leafs took the worst of that Gong Show. Buffalo's goon broke the hockey code by going after Kessell. Kessell did the right thing trying to fend off the gigantic goon. There should be extenuating circumstances for both Clarkson and Kessell, some kind of self defense / hockey code thing.

Jay Trotter
09-24-2013, 03:26 PM
The Leafs took the worst of that Gong Show. Buffalo's goon broke the hockey code by going after Kessell. Kessell did the right thing trying to fend off the gigantic goon. There should be extenuating circumstances for both Clarkson and Kessell, some kind of self defense / hockey code thing.Traitor! Never, ever, defend the LEAFS or you will be thrown out of JETS nation. :faint:

HoofedInTheChest
09-24-2013, 05:52 PM
Trotsky
The suspension money is forwarded to the league, and it still goes against the cap, Wendel Clarkson could have bought a house with the money from that stunt. You have to give him credit though, it was a bonehead move but showed solidarity between the players.

What impressed me the most was Kessel' fight, i didn't think he had it in him but he opened up that kids face. It looks like Kessel is suspended for the rest of the pre-season, whew, got away with one there.

It looks like Sabre coach Ron Rolston was hit with a fine today for his actions, i think Scott deserves a suspension or a fine as well. Last season Scott got knocked out by both Orr and McLaren, it looks like he has a short memory, come Nov 15 he will have to pay the piper once again.

Jets Nation? :lol:

Hows the preseason going for you guys? Do you think that Scheifele can crack the lineup? I like that kid...

notoutofpounds
09-24-2013, 06:07 PM
Traitor! Never, ever, defend the LEAFS or you will be thrown out of JETS nation. :faint:

Sorry Trottier, the hockey code takes precedent. :7: foot goons should not fight skilled players. Scott is completely in the wrong here. I will always defend the skilled players over the fighters. I am glad Kessell was not suspended for regular season. I hope Wendell Clarkson :lol: appeals his suspension and wins.

Scheiffle figures to make the second line for sure. He bulked up with fitness freak Gary Roberts. The second line should be solid this year unlike the last two seasons. Kane - Setiguchi - Scheiffle.

Missed you at the last tournament Trotter.

Jay Trotter
09-24-2013, 06:39 PM
Kessel was choppin' wood like a lumberjack out there -- he deserves just as much as the Paul Bunyan that was puttin' the drop on him. I do have to concede to Carlyle the fact he put out the Kessel line thinking that would diffuse the situation. You can bet the next time they play Carlyle won't be so kind.

Trotsky

ps. Yes noop I missed my first cappin' contest of the year this past Saturday. It was a good thing too, because all the winners paid between $2.90 and $6.10 so I would have had a goose egg for the two hour drive into the city. Sometimes the best bet you make is the one you don't.

notoutofpounds
09-24-2013, 07:17 PM
I wish I missed that chalk fest.

I was playing Remington and playing in the contest and so I went over to the windows, asked the veteran teller if he was up to punching my big ticket at Remington. He nodded and then spent two minutes shuffling through some teller's papers and then asked me if Remington was running. The next teller over bailed me out, she knew the codes.

Jay Trotter
10-01-2013, 10:58 AM
NHL REGULAR SEASON BEGINS TODAY

TORONTO AT MONTREAL
WASHINGTON AT CHICAGO
WINNIPEG AT EDMONTON

GOOD LUCK TO ALL TEAMS
(EXCEPT THE MAPLE BUDS)

woodtoo
10-01-2013, 01:56 PM
Both Toronto and Winnipeg games on CBC.

GO JETS:jump:

Greyfox
10-01-2013, 03:15 PM
WINNIPEG AT EDMONTON

That's the game to watch tonight.

Both teams have some excellent young stars.

HoofedInTheChest
10-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Let the Asskicking Begin

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/7949217/161241611.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Stillriledup
10-01-2013, 06:07 PM
Does reg season start tonight?

Jay Trotter
10-01-2013, 06:26 PM
http://blu.stb.s-msn.com/i/9E/DB37666AB895BD45E79C1B4DF8315.jpg

ANOTHER YEAR OF MISERY

notoutofpounds
10-01-2013, 08:03 PM
The Jets Suburb is ready to party, Game On !

notoutofpounds
10-02-2013, 01:01 AM
The Toronto Sports Network and the Alias Sports Bureau is reporting that this is the first time that Winnipeg, Toronto, and Chicago have been tied for first overall in the NHL.

MutuelClerk
10-02-2013, 10:35 PM
2-0

Go Leafs Go!!!

Where's the wire?

Rookies
10-02-2013, 11:18 PM
STOP THE SEASON!

2-Doughnut Buds!:jump: :ThmbUp:

Jay Trotter
10-03-2013, 08:09 AM
STOP THE SEASON!

2-Doughnut Buds!:jump: :ThmbUp: Like the crazy guy at the track might yell "Die Pig Die"!

HoofedInTheChest
10-03-2013, 01:00 PM
8JgEptmz_eE

HoofedInTheChest
10-03-2013, 02:46 PM
A big shout out today to Mimico Ontario, one of the Leafs overpriced signings (according to Trotter) potted two last night after being moved up to the second line. Lupul and Bolland were a two man wrecking crew that spoiled yet another home opener for the opposition.

In other news....
Patrick Roy and the Colorado Avalanche humiliated the Ducks last night 6-1, with Teemu Selanne finishing with 3 shots on net and was a -1. Nate McKinnon made his debut with 2 points and was a +1, the kid looks good.

I have to say that the Jets pulled off a nice come from behind victory the other night, it seems defence is still a problem for the Oilers. Scheifele looked really good out there netting one in his first outing of the season, another solid Ontario born kid. Big Buff is moving well out there, i'm glad to see he is actually in good shape, 3 points in his first game, i don't think he realizes how good he can actually be if he just puts the time in.

The team to watch out for this season..... St. Louis Blues

ldiatone
10-03-2013, 04:41 PM
pens vrs njd tonight. letang and neal both out. vokoun out till the season starts in march. did one notice kovalchuk retired and jagr is now playing with the team? if jagr plays another 10 years he could be playing for the oilers-jets-learfs :eek: how old is he now 82?
obtw..LETS GO BUCS! RAISE THAT JOLLY ROGER!

HoofedInTheChest
10-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Mario's sister (Jagr) is a giant waste of money, as well as being a waste of a valuable roster spot. I normally have a lot of respect for Lamoriello, but i think he f'ed up with this signing, did he not watch the Bruins last season? Jagr moves like an old tractor out there, it's painfull to watch. Seeing that Jersey is a defence first hockey club, why in the world would you want a guy that only plays at one end of the ice. If Lou thinks that Jagr is going to quarterback the offence, then i have to give him the Mike Milbury award for the dumbest acquisition of the season.

Here is a vid of your captain shooting against Nate Mackinnon, impressive hands on both of them.

jS4gTdskzHQ

Jay Trotter
10-03-2013, 05:21 PM
A big shout out today to Mimico Ontario, one of the Leafs overpriced signings (according to Trotter) potted two last night after being moved up to the second line....What is this, a Right Wing spin. My comment was only vs. Selanne's $2 Million salary.

HoofedInTheChest
10-03-2013, 05:55 PM
What is this, a Right Wing spin. My comment was only vs. Selanne's $2 Million salary.
True, but you made it sound like the Leafs were throwing away money vs them signing Selanne. I'll take the Leaf acquisitions anyday over ol herring breath himself.

notoutofpounds
10-03-2013, 07:20 PM
Great start for your Leafs Hoof. Dave Bolland was an excellent signing. He has won everywhere he has played. Stanley Cup winners are always good to have. Jets have three Cup winners Buff, Ladd, and Fralik. This Jacob Trouba on defense is unbelievably talented. This kid played the last minute @ Edmonton in place of Buff. He could have destroyed Hall if he wanted to in the slot in the Jets end. Scheiffle - Kane - Setiguchi could be the number one line theyhave great chemistry.

Jay Trotter
10-03-2013, 07:44 PM
True, but you made it sound like the Leafs were throwing away money vs them signing Selanne. I'll take the Leaf acquisitions anyday over ol herring breath himself.Selective memory. I posted the video of Selanne's decision to return for another season. You trashed that. I pointed out that it was great value at $2 Million and listed some players that "maybe" didn't offer that same value. I would hope for your sake that a couple of them might actually be worth the money they are being paid.

Frickin' Leafs fans always putting spin on things! :lol:

HoofedInTheChest
10-03-2013, 11:32 PM
I'm not putting a spin on anything, you listed 5 players and proceeded to call them "Slugs", if that's the way you feel then you must believe they are being overpaid.

ldiatone
10-04-2013, 04:42 PM
Mario's sister (Jagr) is a giant waste of money, as well as being a waste of a valuable roster spot. I normally have a lot of respect for Lamoriello, but i think he f'ed up with this signing, did he not watch the Bruins last season? Jagr moves like an old tractor out there, it's painfull to watch. Seeing that Jersey is a defence first hockey club, why in the world would you want a guy that only plays at one end of the ice. If Lou thinks that Jagr is going to quarterback the offence, then i have to give him the Mike Milbury award for the dumbest acquisition of the season.

Here is a vid of your captain shooting against Nate Mackinnon, impressive hands on both of them.

jS4gTdskzHQ
agree about jagr. the pittsburgh organIaztion removed jagrs image from the ring of past players and replaced it with mark recchis pic. NICE!

notoutofpounds
10-04-2013, 10:43 PM
Winnipeg Jets 2-0
Toronto 2-0
Detroit 2-0

First place overall

elysiantraveller
10-05-2013, 12:44 PM
Wings are going to humiliate the [L]eastern conference this season.

HoofedInTheChest
10-05-2013, 02:28 PM
Wings are going to humiliate the [L]eastern conference this season.
I wouldn’t be so sure of that, you just squeaked past the Sabres and Hurricane’s this week, and they aren’t exactly powerhouse teams. Tonight you will have a real test with the Bruins, and it should be a good indication if you can survive the physical beat downs of the Eastern conference. Half of your team is over the age of 32, i can foresee you having a good first half of the season, but the second half will be a different story. Seeing that it’s an Olympic year, the schedule is condensed, and this certainly won’t help those old legs.

Every Canadian hockey player that wants to make the Olympic team will be auditioning for your head coach, and you can guarantee they will be bringing their A-game against the Red Wings. You went through this in 2010, and Babcock himself admitted that this puts his team at a disadvantage most nights.

Swedish meatballs anyone?

Jay Trotter
10-05-2013, 04:28 PM
Wings are going to humiliate the [L]eastern conference this season.Don't listen to Hoofy....................Wings can kick some Maple Bud a$$! Go Wings Go!

HoofedInTheChest
10-05-2013, 04:47 PM
Don't listen to Hoofy....................Wings can kick some Maple Bud a$$! Go Wings Go!
lol Entertaining as always Trotsky, but i don't think anyone on the Buds feels all that threatened by the Swedish pugilists.

I'm starting to wonder about you Trotsky, come next February we better be on the same page.

I'll take the Bruins tonight.

Rookies
10-05-2013, 06:49 PM
Buds 3- Doughnut after tonight!

Estimated crowd OUTSIDE ACC= 25k!:jump:

notoutofpounds
10-05-2013, 08:23 PM
That is a late arriving crowd you have there.

Please beat Ottawa.

MutuelClerk
10-05-2013, 09:00 PM
I like wings.

FRIED.

Rookies
10-05-2013, 09:51 PM
That is a late arriving crowd you have there.

Please beat Ottawa.

It's a Ca$h Box. Either the #1/3 rated $$$$ Franchise of ANY Sport anywhere. The Real Fans, who can't afford $300-$1000 per tix are outside.

The Suits are inside. Many tix owned by Corporations.:ThmbDown:

notoutofpounds
10-05-2013, 10:03 PM
Are they showing the games on big screens outside like in the Playoffs ? That is pretty cool if they are. That would be a great atmosphere and a lot of fun.

Rookies
10-05-2013, 10:14 PM
Are they showing the games on big screens outside like in the Playoffs ? That is pretty cool if they are. That would be a great atmosphere and a lot of fun.

Yep.

It's a fixture now.

EVERY night, there will be 10-20k in front of the building. It was a great idea and the fans really warmed to it. Since they could sell the ACC out 5x every night, it's a natural draw.

And 10 feet away is a bar that ESPN rated the best in North America: Real Sports.http://www.realsports.ca/BarAndGrill/Toronto/Gallery/

I've been there a few times and to many great Sports Bars across North America from Vegas-Chicago-NY. It's at least in the hunt.:ThmbUp:

LEAFS WIN... LEAFS WIN... in the Shootout and the Crowds inside and out go wild!

notoutofpounds
10-05-2013, 11:05 PM
Wow, you guys have something special there. Sounds like a blast. I had no idea that there would be that many fans outside during the regular season. Great start for you 3-0 and Clarkson yet to play, keep it going. :ThmbUp: Leafs are a lock to win the Division.

MutuelClerk
10-06-2013, 06:27 PM
Let's just make the playoffs and go from there.

Stillriledup
10-06-2013, 06:34 PM
Selanne tonight in the Peg.

Greyfox
10-06-2013, 06:47 PM
sa:ThmbUp: Leafs are a lock to win the Division.

There are no locks to win any division yet, but Leafs Mason Raymond and that kid Morgan Riley sure played exciting hockey last night.

HoofedInTheChest
10-07-2013, 03:34 PM
We have our first casualty of the season, Peter Laviolette was fired today by the Flyers, after starting the season 0-3. I think i would have waited a few more games to pull the trigger seeing that most teams are still working out their systems and getting optimum line pairings. Something tells me that there was a disconnect between the players and the coaching staff going back to last season. Personally i would be taking a closer look at Holmgren, some of the signings and salaries handed out by him are the root of the problem. They replaced Laviolette with Craig Berube for the time being, i’ll leave that one alone.

Torts is up to his old tricks on the left coast, taking exception with Keith Acton the other night, as well as exchanging words with the biggest knob in hockey, Glen Healey of the CBC. Welcome to Canada Torts, if you thought the media and fans were intense in the U.S, you’re in for a real treat, so much for the personality makeover... ownership must be rethinking their decision.

Jay Trotter
10-07-2013, 05:34 PM
Torts is up to his old tricks on the left coast, taking exception with Keith Acton the other night, as well as exchanging words with the biggest knob in hockey, Glen Healey of the CBC.... Wow, we actually agree on something. Can't stand Healey! :ThmbUp:

HoofedInTheChest
10-07-2013, 07:15 PM
Wow, we actually agree on something. Can't stand Healey! :ThmbUp:
Terrible goalie, terrible analyst. How Healey and Kypreos ever got jobs as analysts is beyond me, i'm waiting for the day he gets nailed by a puck in between the benches. To make matters worse, the guy plays the bagpipes!

Whats the difference between a trampoline and a set of bagpipes?

You take your shoes off to jump on a trampoline.

HoofedInTheChest
10-10-2013, 12:11 PM
I went into Tim Hortons to grab a cup of coffee, and i glanced over at the donuts and started laughing. I immediately thought of Trotter and wondered if this particular donut was Canada wide, oh how i hoped so. :lol:

Is this a national thing or is there a Jets donut in the Peg? As well as the other respective NHL cities...

http://www.680news.com/files/2013/10/Donut-668x501.jpg

Jay Trotter
10-10-2013, 01:54 PM
I have not noticed any NHL donuts as of yet -- I'll have to do a market check. I would guess it would be a "Regional" donut because people would just be stomping on those Leaf donuts out here. :lol:

MutuelClerk
10-10-2013, 07:14 PM
Probably thinking they can make wine.

Greyfox
10-15-2013, 03:08 PM
Several players and scribes have accused Thomas Hertl of hot dogging on his fourth goal the other night, but I luv it!

yMw4nksG7UQ

Jay Trotter
10-15-2013, 04:34 PM
I see nothing wrong with that. Maybe if he missed his hometown press might have something to say. I think in this modern day of penalty shots (which this situation kind of was) the players need to be creative. Plus it is very exciting for the fans. :ThmbUp:

On a side note I don't think the 360 move should be allowed on real penalty shots - there was a recent situation which fails my memory at the moment.

HoofedInTheChest
10-15-2013, 05:11 PM
On a side note I don't think the 360 move should be allowed on real penalty shots - there was a recent situation which fails my memory at the moment.
You're thinking of Mason Raymond's goal in the shootout. I really see nothing wrong with that move as long as the puck keeps moving, the league wants to get rid of that move but the PA wont allow it.

I think that Hertl is a hell of a talent and a dynamic goal scorer, and i have no problem with his celebrations. But i do know that eventually the opposition will take exception to his celebrations and bulldog him, or try to injure him, he will learn the hard way.

ldiatone
10-15-2013, 05:26 PM
#66 must have taught him that move :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu1Hq-13JcY

HoofedInTheChest
10-24-2013, 12:54 AM
NHL Rumours: Hawerchuk the Jets’ next coach?

http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/userpics/10172/smiley-face-popcorn.gif

notoutofpounds
10-24-2013, 08:11 AM
NHL Rumours: Hawerchuk the Jets’ next coach?

http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/userpics/10172/smiley-face-popcorn.gif

Hey Hoofy, I hope you are right about Ducky.

You were absolutely right in your Carlyle vs Noel comparison last year. Noel is starting to act like like a desperate man, he is juggling lines and talking like he is running for office. He thinks .901 Pavlec is playing sensational :bang:

Glad to see your Leafs playing well and now Wendell returns.

HoofedInTheChest
10-24-2013, 07:14 PM
Something has to give with the Jets, you're falling in the same model as last season. 10 games in and you have a -4 goal differential, you have way to much talent on that team to be playing .450 hockey. I didn't think much of Noel' system last season, and not much has changed this season, i think he is the problem at the end of day. Ultimately Carlyle would be the perfect coach for the Jets, unfortunately he is employed at the moment but like all Leaf coaches, they don't last very long.

I don't think division match-ups will be an issue this season, they have it set up that every team plays every team and the best you can hope for is your division rivals lose as much as possible.

p.s. John Scott is a Grade-A D-Bag. He will return from suspension just in time to say hello to McLaren.

notoutofpounds
10-25-2013, 12:21 PM
Something has to give with the Jets, you're falling in the same model as last season. 10 games in and you have a -4 goal differential, you have way to much talent on that team to be playing .450 hockey. I didn't think much of Noel' system last season, and not much has changed this season, i think he is the problem at the end of day. Ultimately Carlyle would be the perfect coach for the Jets, unfortunately he is employed at the moment but like all Leaf coaches, they don't last very long.

I don't think division match-ups will be an issue this season, they have it set up that every team plays every team and the best you can hope for is your division rivals lose as much as possible.

p.s. John Scott is a Grade-A D-Bag. He will return from suspension just in time to say hello to McLaren.

I agree with all this Hoof :ThmbUp: Carlyle is a keeper, hope Toronto keeps him around because he is a very good Coach.

Jets have put two good efforts together though, against the Caps and Preds, and have 2 points to show for it. :bang:

Scott and the Buffalo GM should both be looking for employment soon.

Good luck against the Jackets :ThmbUp:

Since we are so thin at Center Ice how about Ducky as a Player / Coach :lol:

HoofedInTheChest
10-25-2013, 05:26 PM
That was a real drag last night, Big Buff had a hell of a game going until the turn-over in overtime. Man those open ice hits he layed were bonecrushing.

I was looking over Hawerchuck' career stats and i had forgotten how awesome he really was for the Jets and for Team Canada, not bad for a Uke from Toronto. He managed to turn around the Barrie Colts in one season, hopefully he can do the same for the Jets...... if the rumors are true, and if he is willing to take the job. If not, Carlyle will be available in a couple of years, from what i have herd the players aren't exactly on board with his system in Toronto, not to mention the team will be blown up at the end of the season, it's now or never.

notoutofpounds
10-25-2013, 06:22 PM
That was a real drag last night, Big Buff had a hell of a game going until the turn-over in overtime. Man those open ice hits he layed were bonecrushing.

I was looking over Hawerchuck' career stats and i had forgotten how awesome he really was for the Jets and for Team Canada, not bad for a Uke from Toronto. He managed to turn around the Barrie Colts in one season, hopefully he can do the same for the Jets...... if the rumors are true, and if he is willing to take the job. If not, Carlyle will be available in a couple of years, from what i have herd the players aren't exactly on board with his system in Toronto, not to mention the team will be blown up at the end of the season, it's now or never.

Sharp post :ThmbUp:

Buffy did everything but give that Smith kid a body slam through a table last night. Crazy bounce bad luck game winner.

I saw so many amazing :10: Dale Hawerchuk games, ridiculous late comebacks, Ducky was worth the price of admission every night. That line of Walrus Paul McLean and Hell's Kitchen NY product Brian Mullen had huge chemistry.

Ducky won 2 Memorial Cups with Cornwall. That Jamie Macoun no penalty bs cheap shot still haunts me brutal no call.

Greyfox
10-30-2013, 10:08 AM
If your team is behind a playoff spot by 4 or more points on November 1 there's a good chance it will not be in the playoffs.
Only 3 teams out of 32 since 2006 have been able to reverse their fortunes in that department.
SportsClubStats is a website where you can check your chances as the season goes on.
Check out the link below to see your club's chances today.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL.html

HoofedInTheChest
10-31-2013, 05:18 PM
If your team is behind a playoff spot by 4 or more points on November 1 there's a good chance it will not be in the playoffs.
Only 3 teams out of 32 since 2006 have been able to reverse their fortunes in that department.
SportsClubStats is a website where you can check your chances as the season goes on.

Interesting stuff, thanks for the link Greyfox.

I'm wondering if the readouts are weighted for teams that have players that could possibly be serving jail time, i see Roy is having a bigger influence on his players in more ways than one.

Jay Trotter
01-07-2014, 06:16 PM
Man i feel for you guys, the temperatures have been brutal the past few weeks in the Peg.

I wish that tomato can was suspended all season, they play much better with him out of the lineup. Nonis deserves a cuff upside the head for that acquisition, here is a few of my observations...

David Clarkson - 5 Million per season

- hands of stone
- poor puck handling ability
- poor puck protection
- decent skater
- soft on his feet
- no core strength
- weak on the half-boards
- poor hockey IQ
- doesn't read the game very well
- out of position more often than not

The only solace i take from it is the fact that 3 other teams offered him more money, the Oilers offered him over 6 Million, imagine if he would of went to Edmonton.... :lol: He will be traded or bought out before his contract is up, he doesn't have the skill set to warrant 5 Mill a season.

The Leafs will miss the play-offs this year.
What's this? This contradicts all the anti-Selanne talk earlier in the season! :lol: Money well spent, eh!

Jay Trotter
01-07-2014, 06:42 PM
First night of preseason hockey, and we get the Jets and Cap's on the CBC, i'll take the Caps..... :lol:

For you poolies....

The top ten projected prospects for this season, whether they can make their respective clubs is still a question mark. I think it is unlikely that you will see Rielly on the Leafs this season due to cap space, but you never know. Mackinnon is a bluechip lock, the others are a wait and see.

Nathan MacKinnon - Colorado Avalanche
Seth Jones - Nashville Predators
Jonathan Drouin - Tampa Bay Lightning
Scott Laughton - Philadelphia Flyers
Sean Monahan - Calgary Flames
Morgan Rielly - Toronto Maple Leafs
Tom Wilson - Washington Capitals
Bo Horvat - Vancouver Canucks
Mathew Dumba - Minnesota Wild
Max Domi - Phoenix Coyotes

Nathan MacKinnon - Colorado Avalanche 42-14-14-28 (+6)
Seth Jones - Nashville Predators (D) 42-4-12-16 (-12)
Jonathan Drouin - Tampa Bay Lightning Not in NHL
Scott Laughton - Philadelphia Flyers Not in NHL
Sean Monahan - Calgary Flames 35-12-6-18 (-7)
Morgan Rielly - Toronto Maple Leafs (D) 34-1-11-12 (-12)
Tom Wilson - Washington Capitals 42-1-3-4 (0)
Bo Horvat - Vancouver Canucks Not in NHL
Mathew Dumba - Minnesota Wild 13-1-1-2 (-5)
Max Domi - Phoenix Coyotes Not in NHL - didn't make CDN Jr. Team

You missed a couple of good ones in:
Mark Scheifele 45-7-15-22 (-1) and rolling
Jacob Trouba (D) 28-4-9-13 (0) and coming on strong off injury

Stillriledup
01-07-2014, 06:56 PM

Great find

Question. I was looking at the NBA part of that site, is there somewhere that they can predict each team's final record after 82 games?

Greyfox
01-07-2014, 07:28 PM
I wouldn't know.

HoofedInTheChest
01-07-2014, 07:55 PM
What's this? This contradicts all the anti-Selanne talk earlier in the season! :lol: Money well spent, eh!
Ya, you got me on that one, i'm starting to question whether he belongs in the NHL, i can't find a positive thing about his play.

HoofedInTheChest
01-07-2014, 08:04 PM
Nathan MacKinnon - Colorado Avalanche 42-14-14-28 (+6)
Seth Jones - Nashville Predators (D) 42-4-12-16 (-12)
Jonathan Drouin - Tampa Bay Lightning Not in NHL
Scott Laughton - Philadelphia Flyers Not in NHL
Sean Monahan - Calgary Flames 35-12-6-18 (-7)
Morgan Rielly - Toronto Maple Leafs (D) 34-1-11-12 (-12)
Tom Wilson - Washington Capitals 42-1-3-4 (0)
Bo Horvat - Vancouver Canucks Not in NHL
Mathew Dumba - Minnesota Wild 13-1-1-2 (-5)
Max Domi - Phoenix Coyotes Not in NHL - didn't make CDN Jr. Team

You missed a couple of good ones in:
Mark Scheifele 45-7-15-22 (-1) and rolling
Jacob Trouba (D) 28-4-9-13 (0) and coming on strong off injury
Those were Central Scouting's projections, i only liked MacKinnon.

You have to cut the defencemen some slack, it generally takes 5 to 7 years to develop an NHL defenceman, having said that you have a real live one in Trouba, he's a gem. Wasn't it Scheifele' second attempt at making the Jets?

Jay Trotter
01-07-2014, 10:16 PM
Wasn't it Scheifele' second attempt at making the Jets?Scheifele played 7 games in 2011-2012 and then 4 in 2012-2013. They sent him back to play for Hawerchuk each time to develop soundly. It looks like their thinking has worked out.

notoutofpounds
01-07-2014, 11:38 PM
Here is a question for Trotter and Hoof:

If you were the Winnipeg GM would you have played :8: Jacob Trouba last season after his U.S. College season was over ? This kid is the best D on this team. Jets missed the playoffs last year by 4 points.

HoofedInTheChest
01-08-2014, 12:51 AM

If you were the Winnipeg GM would you have played :8: Jacob Trouba last season after his U.S. College season was over ? This kid is the best D on this team. Jets missed the playoffs last year by 4 points.
He was 18, the Jets had a problem with keeping the puck out of the net, if you weigh the odds of probability it's too big a risk. He is really good for a kid that age, the leap to the NHL can be a difficult process sometimes, just ask Morgan Reilly.

What the Jets need is a legitimate #1 goalie, that and a new coach. I know of a goalie from Manitoba that's getting the shaft by his hockey club, personally i think he's more of a gamer than the one their riding. You never know...

notoutofpounds
01-08-2014, 12:58 AM
Reimer Express :5: :5:

ManU918
01-08-2014, 07:26 AM
Flyers 8-2-0 in their last 10 and now in 2nd place in the Metropolitan division.... As a side note, I don't know how Giroux didn't make the Olympic team. His response to the media during post game interviews was awesome... He said something along the lines of... I am over it already... I am very fortunate to play the game I love for a living in front of the best fans in hockey.

Jay Trotter
01-08-2014, 08:23 AM

If you were the Winnipeg GM would you have played :8: Jacob Trouba last season after his U.S. College season was over ? This kid is the best D on this team. Jets missed the playoffs last year by 4 points.I can't second guess the decision not to play Trouba at the end of last year, especially in light of the success of Scheifele. I have to believe Jets management knows what it is doing with regard to drafting and developing their talent at the right pace.

As far as the overall talent on the team I think they might be wise to move a couple of the big names to build for the future.

ManU918
01-08-2014, 10:08 PM
10 straight wins at home for the Flyers.... Hottest team in hockey.

notoutofpounds
01-11-2014, 08:03 PM
ManU918 you may have jinxed your team. That was an impressive streak by your Flyers, they are playing much better than last year :ThmbUp:

HoofedInTheChest
01-12-2014, 01:52 PM
It looks like it's the end of the line for Claude Noel in the Peg, it's long overdue in my opinion. You will get an asskicker in Paul Maurice, the holiday is over ladies! I like the fit, the Jets have enough sandpaper in their game to compliment Maurice' coaching style, good hiring.

I always liked Maurice' system when he coached in the big smoke, until the players bailed on him, the a-hole approach is only effective for 2 or 3 seasons.

notoutofpounds
01-12-2014, 02:07 PM
It looks like it's the end of the line for Claude Noel in the Peg, it's long overdue in my opinion. You will get an asskicker in Paul Maurice, the holiday is over ladies! I like the fit, the Jets have enough sandpaper in their game to compliment Maurice' coaching style, good hiring.

I always liked Maurice' system when he coached in the big smoke, until the players bailed on him, the a-hole approach is only effective for 2 or 3 seasons.

Definitely a good move to can Claude.

He is no more than an AHL Coach that was working for a clueless AHL General Manager. Noel was signed for one year only in the off-season and was clearly a lame duck coach.

The only thing that I liked about Noel was his snappy sarcastic answers to the sporting press after a loss and this season he had dropped this. After a win he would go on and on spinning yarns about his minor league exploits.

I still am baffled by the team retaining Charles Huddy. :bang:

HoofedInTheChest
01-14-2014, 01:41 PM
''I went in and talked a little bit about what I saw, congratulated them on facing some tough adversity and winning, thanked them, and then proceeded to cancel the day off that they had (Tuesday),'' he said after the Jets snapped a five-game losing streak. :lol:

''It was good enough tonight,'' Maurice said, ''but we can't rely on that being good enough in our next game. We've just got to get better.''

They had a much better effort defensively last night, the puck support in their own end was key, i'm surprised that boob Noel never noticed that. I love the response the media got when they asked Maurice what his first impressions were when he stepped on the ice at practise? "Man are these guys huge, i felt like the smallest guy on the ice, and they have incredible speed for big men." The Jets will become an aggressive forechecking team under Maurice, taking time and space away in both zones.

I find it strange he only got a contract till the end of the season, are they leaving the door open for Carlyle?

woodtoo
01-14-2014, 04:54 PM
I bet if the Jets make the playoffs Maurice will be rewarded with a very nice contract,if not who knows.
The team seemed to rally around his hands on approach,one of their better games for sure.
ps. keep Buff up front.

Greyfox
01-14-2014, 05:58 PM
I bet if the Jets make the playoffs Maurice will be rewarded with a very nice contract,if not who knows.

The Jets have virtually NO CHANCE OF MAKING THE PLAYOFFS.

Anyone who thinks they will is dreaming in technicolor.

(http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL.html has their chances of making the playoffs at 1.5 % today.)

HoofedInTheChest
01-14-2014, 06:36 PM

(http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL.html has their chances of making the playoffs at 1.5 % today.)
They're in tuff to make the playoffs, 10 points back in a highly competitive conference, but i wouldn't call it impossible.

One thing i will predict right here and now, is that they will finish the season with a positive Goal Differential. As of today they are a -13, Maurice will turn this team around defensively. ;)

notoutofpounds
01-14-2014, 07:27 PM

Thanks for the interesting weather chart or whatever it is, but I believe last year was the 48 game season :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

They are playing 82 games this year.

There is lots of hockey left to make up ten points. Jets have been trying to get that dope Noel fired for the last couple of months and finally have an NHL Coach.

Paul Maurice will be very motivated to get the Jets into the Playoffs because he wants to stay in the NHL.

Here are some more meaningful statistics:

With Claude Noel :12 points out of Playoffs.
Temperature -38 F every day this season

With Paul Maurice : 10 points out of Playoffs.
Temperature +32 F the day he was hired

HoofedInTheChest
01-15-2014, 05:36 PM
Oilers took a step in the right direction today by acquiring Ben Scrivens from L.A. and shipping off Dubnyk to Nashville. Now they just need 6 solid defencemen..... :lol:

They really didn't have to give up much to get Scrivens (third round pick), and now they can use some of their assets to acquire a solid d-man or two. Scrivens is a solid upgrade and should help the club, but they still have a long way to go.

Could the Jets be next?

Jay Trotter
01-15-2014, 09:20 PM
Too bad the Oilers didn't get rid of the other nutball in net -- Bryzgalov. I find it ironic that he landed in Edmonton. When it looked like the Coyotes were a certainty to move back to Winnipeg, Bryzgalov indicated "he would not go to Winnipeg.

I have lived in Edmonton and Winnipeg and the two cities are as similar as any two cities in Canada including the weather. I guess he ran out of options and had to go, eh! :lol:

Could the Leafs be next?

HoofedInTheChest
01-16-2014, 05:33 PM
Could the Leafs be next?
Absolutely, i foresee Reimer and Kadri getting shipped out before the deadline. Hopefully Clarkson will be dealt for a bag of tape and some practice pucks.

It's good to see Stamkos back at practice today with the Lightening, we need our golden boy ready for next month. :ThmbUp:

Jets/Flames tonight, i'll take the Jets by a deuce.

Stillriledup
01-16-2014, 05:41 PM
Any thoughts on Van at Phx? Van got absolutely punished last night in California, and many times when a team gets beat that bad i like to come back with them, but in this instance, the punishment was so severe that you just dont know how that's going to affect these guys. Also, 3rd game in 4 nights.

HuggingTheRail
01-16-2014, 05:47 PM
Any thoughts on Van at Phx? Van got absolutely punished last night in California, and many times when a team gets beat that bad i like to come back with them, but in this instance, the punishment was so severe that you just dont know how that's going to affect these guys. Also, 3rd game in 4 nights.

Their game on Tuesday night was not a typical Van game either. Gut feel says they will be competitive tonight, but I played them to lose. I think they are in a "let's get home and regroup" mindset. Burrows may be back Saturday, Luongo is close, so they may be looking ahead a bit...

Good luck, whatever you decide.... please tell me SRU Downs will have sports betting!

HoofedInTheChest
01-16-2014, 06:03 PM
Losing to Anaheim is no disgrace, but 9 goals? Mind you 5 of the goals came on the power-play, even Selami managed to get a pair. Goaltending will be a factor for both teams, Lu is out and Smith looked like shite against the Jets, he should bounce back if he gets the start, as well both teams are trying to come off the schneid. Thats a tuff call, both teams are playing like crap, but if i had to choose i would go with the Nucks, by 1.

notoutofpounds
01-16-2014, 07:20 PM
Losing to Anaheim is no disgrace, but 9 goals? Mind you 5 of the goals came on the power-play, even Selami managed to get a pair.

:lol: When have you last seen a seven minute two man advantage before last night's Ducks thrashing of Riot City ?

Two very off form teams meet in the Vancouver at Phoenix game tonight, I cannot pick either side but hope there is no OT or Shootout. Lots of L's in the recent past performances of these two squads.

Winnipeg, who are apparently 67-1 odds to make the Playoffs :lol: looks to be a lock at the Sad Dull Dome. Cowtown is on a very bad run at home having lost 6 straight at home while scoring only 2 goals in those 6 games.

Stillriledup
01-16-2014, 07:20 PM
Their game on Tuesday night was not a typical Van game either. Gut feel says they will be competitive tonight, but I played them to lose. I think they are in a "let's get home and regroup" mindset. Burrows may be back Saturday, Luongo is close, so they may be looking ahead a bit...

Good luck, whatever you decide.... please tell me SRU Downs will have sports betting!

Geez, if i could get sportsbetting at my place, you know i would!!

They had how many fights between the LA and Ana games? You have to think that they're "drained" or something....but if they have any pride, the embarrassment they suffered last night may get them to play tonight like its game 7.

Stillriledup
01-16-2014, 07:21 PM
Losing to Anaheim is no disgrace, but 9 goals? Mind you 5 of the goals came on the power-play, even Selami managed to get a pair. Goaltending will be a factor for both teams, Lu is out and Smith looked like shite against the Jets, he should bounce back if he gets the start, as well both teams are trying to come off the schneid. Thats a tuff call, both teams are playing like crap, but if i had to choose i would go with the Nucks, by 1.

Probably will be a fight fest again, Van is really pissed off these days, you have to imagine that some frustrations will come out on both sides.

Jay Trotter
01-16-2014, 08:51 PM
...even Selami managed to get a pair.... :lol: Even Selanne, eh! That $2 Million dollar deal is looking very good for the Duck brass. Solid team leader, decent contributor on the ice, all-round team guy chipping in for the number one team in the league.

How many teams would love a guy like that on the 3rd line Hoofy? :rolleyes: (heck, the Buds could use a guy like that on the first line)

notoutofpounds
01-16-2014, 09:24 PM
The Jets at 49-1 to make the Playoffs are going to win this one by many.

HoofedInTheChest
01-16-2014, 10:42 PM
:lol: Even Selanne, eh! That $2 Million dollar deal is looking very good for the Duck brass. Solid team leader, decent contributor on the ice, all-round team guy chipping in for the number one team in the league.

How many teams would love a guy like that on the 3rd line Hoofy? :rolleyes: (heck, the Buds could use a guy like that on the first line)
Wrong again Trotsky, the Buds first line is firing on all cylinders, it's the other 19 schlubs that need help. He's a third liner at best, have you watched him this season, he doesn't commit to the play and is playing the perimeter waiting for scraps. The Ducks are downright nasty this season, i'm loving the fact that Perry and Getzlaf are steamrolling this season, let's hope they carry that into the Olympics.

If you want to talk real value, lets compare Mason Raymond and the Grand Selami.

Mason Raymond - $1 Mill
G - 12
A - 17
_______
P - 29

GWG = 3
+/- = +2

Selami - $2 Mill
G - 7
A - 10
_______
P - 17

GWG = 3
+/- = +3

Jay Trotter
01-17-2014, 03:43 PM
Sheesh, Hoofy! Just admit it that Selanne was a decent signing by a strong team. I too could go through every roster and find guys with even better value -- but what about all these high prices maple schmucks! (maybe leave out Van Riemsdyk)

That's all I'm saying -- just admit you were kinda wrong! :faint:

Teemu Selanne (43) Salary $2 Million (17 Points)

Various Maple Bud Forwards

David Clarkson (29) Salary $5.25 Million (8 Points)

J. Van Riemsdyk (24) Salary $4.25 Million (36 Points)

Tyler Bozak (27) Salary $4.20 Million (22 Points)

Dave Bolland (27) Salary $3.375 Million (10 Points)

Nikolai Kulemin (27) Salary $2.80 Million (12 Points)

HoofedInTheChest
01-17-2014, 07:26 PM
Never!

Whether Selami is in the lineup or not, the Ducks will keep trucking along, and we both know why he is really there. I’m not one to judge but there is clearly a bromance going on here, and this has become painfully obvious that this is a sensitive topic for you, so i’ll leave it alone from here on out.

JVR, Bozy, and Bolland are far from schmucks, cmon Trotsky, you have more game than that. JVR is lighting it up this year on the first line, his skating has vastly improved over last season and has hands of gold. Bozy has been injured for most of the season, and when he’s not in the lineup the first line dries up, 22 points in 25 games, yep he’s a schmuck. Anyone that calls Dave Bolland a schmuck needs their freakin head examined, this guy is underpaid. It’s not his fault that his ankle was sliced open, he was on pace to a record year before the injury and is one of the few elite 2-way players on the Leafs.

One thing i will admit to being wrong about is Clarkson, calling him a schmuck is an insult to schmucks everywhere, bad signing. Kulemin...... another useless Russian. Yes i would rather have Selami over Clarkson and Kulemin, you happy now?

I chose Mason Raymond because of their similar playing styles, they’re both exceptional skaters, exceptional hands, puck carriers, good puck protection, no sandpaper in their game, and so on.

How’s that new coach working out for you?

Jay Trotter
01-17-2014, 07:58 PM
...Yes i would rather have Selami over Clarkson and Kulemin, you happy now?...I'll take that as a victory! :jump:

Don't know why you gotta hate Teemu -- but I guess when you live in the Big Smoke you become bitter. It's kind of lookin' like that big parade you guys were planning in October has been put on hold for another year, eh!

HoofedInTheChest
01-17-2014, 08:15 PM
I'll take that as a victory! :jump:

Don't know why you gotta hate Teemu -- but I guess when you live in the Big Smoke you become bitter. It's kind of lookin' like that big parade you guys were planning in October has been put on hold for another year, eh!
If you weren't born in Canuckastan, i don't have any time for you, as far as hockey players go.

Leiweke needs to keep his trap shut, another corporate jag-off that has delusions of grandeur. I see they are fixing the soccer team in fine MLSE fashion, throw a $100 Million at the problem, that should fix it.

Jay Trotter
01-17-2014, 08:27 PM
If you weren't born in Canuckastan, i don't have any time for you, as far as hockey players go.So, you're going to try and tell me you didn't have a permanent woody for Salming and Sundin! :lol:

Liar, sir...you are a liar!!!!!!

HoofedInTheChest
01-17-2014, 08:50 PM
So, you're going to try and tell me you didn't have a permanent woody for Salming and Sundin! :lol:

Liar, sir...you are a liar!!!!!!
Loved Salming in his first three seasons, then he got into the schmeez and his game went downhill from there. I was a kid and hadn't become cynical yet......

Sundin, i absolutely despised the man, he wasn't my captain thats for sure, don't get me started on Frankenstein......

I've got tickets to the Habs game tomorrow night, i have to brush up on my french insults tonight.

Jay Trotter
01-17-2014, 09:43 PM
Tabernac Hoofy! I didn't like those two either. :ThmbUp:

Jay Trotter
01-18-2014, 04:38 PM
JETS WIN 3RD IN A ROW

http://www.chuckthewriter.com/photos/puck1.gif

ROOKIE SENSATIONS
TROUBA SCORES A PAIR
SCHEIFELE ADDS A SINGLE

notoutofpounds
01-18-2014, 05:45 PM
JETS WIN 3RD IN A ROW

http://www.chuckthewriter.com/photos/puck1.gif

ROOKIE SENSATIONS
TROUBA SCORES A PAIR
SCHEIFELE ADDS A SINGLE

What a goal to win the game for the 35-1 odds to make the Playoffs Winnipeg Jets. Jacob Trouba buries Belov into the net, and then calls for the puck and fires it home to bounce the Oilers.

HoofedInTheChest
01-19-2014, 01:44 PM
Great game yesterday, i especially loved Edmonton's powerplay with 5 minutes to go in the third, 0 shots on net and the Jets had 4 scoring chances, what a trainwreck of a hockey team! :lol:

It will be a big test for the Jets on Tuesday night, just before the big showdown next Saturday night!

http://illegalcurve.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/JetsLeafs.png

notoutofpounds
01-19-2014, 02:38 PM
Great game yesterday, i especially loved Edmonton's powerplay with 5 minutes to go in the third, 0 shots on net and the Jets had 4 scoring chances, what a trainwreck of a hockey team! :lol:

It will be a big test for the Jets on Tuesday night, just before the big showdown next Saturday night!

http://illegalcurve.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/JetsLeafs.png

Wait a second, I think it will be an afternoon game because CBC makes the Jets play matinees on Saturdays.....oops the big team from the Big Smoke is playing, so we finally get a Saturday night game. :ThmbUp: Looking forward to this game.

I am starting to think that having a first year GM (Craig Mactavish / Kevin Cheveldayoff) and a first year Coach (Dallas Eakins / Claude Noel) is not exactly a blueprint for success :bang:

Can the Oilers get another #1 draft pick ? :lol:

HoofedInTheChest
01-19-2014, 03:29 PM
Can the Oilers get another #1 draft pick ? :lol:
Whether it's the Sabres or the Oilers that ends up with the #1 pick, the Oilers have to go after Aaron Ekblad, if not, than i am convinced this team is run by morons. Just watch..... they will draft another forward. :rolleyes:

Jay Trotter
01-19-2014, 03:44 PM
So, what's the deal Hoofy?

I say we go a Rob Ford bobble head vs. a Jeannie's Cake. I got the Jets! :jump:

HoofedInTheChest
01-19-2014, 07:00 PM
So, what's the deal Hoofy?

I say we go a Rob Ford bobble head vs. a Jeannie's Cake. I got the Jets! :jump:
Why would you want a bobblehead? The man is a jackass, and they are impossible to find.

Isn't it a 3 game series this season? I think they play 2 more times at the end of the season. Lets go with the series, and the loser has to put the other teams logo in their avatar for a year. :lol:

Jay Trotter
01-19-2014, 07:59 PM
I wanted something that represented Toronto properly -- I thought Rob Ford fit the bill! :lol::lol::lol:

I already have a maple leaf on my avatar. Doesn't seem like a fair exchange.

HoofedInTheChest
01-19-2014, 11:12 PM
I wanted something that represented Toronto properly -- I thought Rob Ford fit the bill! :lol::lol::lol:

I already have a maple leaf on my avatar. Doesn't seem like a fair exchange.
True, but it's not blue and white. I figured as much, i wouldn't care about having a Jets avatar, but i know it would bother you to have a Leafs avatar.

So a "Fair Exchange" for you would be a $700 bobblehead, compared to a $30 cake? How do you ship a cake anyway?

One thing i do want is a Jets t-shirt with the new logo on it, that or a Jets ball cap. If you can think of an equivalent item for yourself, we have a deal.

They only play twice this year, so that throws a wrench into the whole thing.

Greyfox
01-20-2014, 06:57 PM
Roch Carrier, a Canadian novelist, wrote a children's book about one of his childhood experiences, entitled "The Hockey Sweater."
Quebecers are absolutely fanatic about the Montreal Canadians.
I know, as I lived there for four years.
Les Canadiens are an essential part of their French identity.
Altlhough written for children, university students are encouraged to read his short book to get an understanding of some of the tensions between English and French in that province and the other provinces in Canada.
Canada's National Film board made Roch's book into a short animated film.
Here is the English version of that film.

ZZyDsF-Gp3o

Greyfox
01-20-2014, 10:10 PM
Today's version of "The Hockey Sweater."

a8zF0EffKE0

notoutofpounds
01-22-2014, 08:28 AM
The Mighty Ducks home streak is snapped at 22 by the red hot Duck hunting, streak busting Winnipeg Jets.

They have some NoCal Shark hunting to do Thursday and then the big showdown with Toronto on Saturday night.

I like this Leaf streak, they beat Phoenix and Colorado and hopefully take out Dallas on Thursday.

Hoof, the cake is very good.

HoofedInTheChest
01-22-2014, 12:09 PM
The Mighty Ducks home streak is snapped at 22 by the red hot Duck hunting, streak busting Winnipeg Jets.

They have some NoCal Shark hunting to do Thursday and then the big showdown with Toronto on Saturday night.

I like this Leaf streak, they beat Phoenix and Colorado and hopefully take out Dallas on Thursday.

Hoof, the cake is very good.
Nicely done last night, i had a feeling the Jets would take them down, i just wish i had put some coin on the game. The Jets took a page out of the Leafs handbook, they were grossly outshot last night but managed to capitalize on fewer chances to take 2 points. They will definitely have more swagger and confidence after that one :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Lets hope it will be a battle of the streaks come Saturday night.

Stillriledup
01-23-2014, 08:00 PM
Anaheim at home tonight, -150 vs LAK.

Ducks FINALLY lost a home game in regulation......but looked very sharp in defeat, they threw the kitchen sink at the Jets, but their goalie locked the door. Ducks not likely to lose 2 in a row at home and i don't think the Kings are playing all that great these days.

Jay Trotter
01-23-2014, 10:05 PM
How bout dem Cowboys...errrr, I mean Stars Hoofy! :lol:

HoofedInTheChest
01-24-2014, 07:03 AM
How bout dem Cowboys...errrr, I mean Stars Hoofy! :lol:
Seriously?

I'm glad you find it funny, whats really humorous is Dallas just gained 2 points on your Jets, but laugh it up! And for future reference, it's not recommended to poke fun at another hockey team just before your Jets come out and lay an egg...... the hockey gods are funny that way.

Jay Trotter
01-24-2014, 08:48 AM
Well, I had to have my fun while I could. I'll be in Mexico when the Jets kick some Maple Bud butt on Saturday.

Please ensure that Bobble Head comes with a Jamaican accent, mon! :ThmbUp:

HoofedInTheChest
01-24-2014, 09:50 AM
Congrats on your daughters wedding, and you picked a good time to get out of dodge, enjoy the heat.

HoofedInTheChest
01-26-2014, 06:18 PM
Hats off to the Jets last night, they were the better team. Reimer seems to be struggling in the last month which is unfortunate, especially being in front of his family and friends. It was still an entertaining game, the Jets went up 4-1 before the Buds battled back to tie it up with a minute to go, but it wasn’t meant to be....... F’n Buff!

At the end of the day, if the Leaf goalies don’t stand on their head, the Leafs have little chance of winning, the Buds are a defensive nightmare.

Trotter takes round one.

Jets/Blackhawks tonight, i'll go with Chicago.

woodtoo
01-26-2014, 06:46 PM
Just when I was saying Buff was almost invisible he scores the winner :D
Chicago always seems to have the Jets number,another big test tonite.

notoutofpounds
01-26-2014, 10:10 PM
Winnipeg Jets 20-1 to make the Playoffs take out Central Division leader Chicago 3-1

woodtoo
01-27-2014, 10:21 AM
Winnipeg Jets 20-1 to make the Playoffs take out Central Division leader Chicago 3-1

A game for the ages I tell ya,2 shots on net in the first,6 shots after the 2nd period and then blow them out of the ballpark in the 3rd:jump:

One of Buffs finest games, the Hawks were running scared late in this one.

And then Montoya's' stick gets stuck in the boards behind the net and has to abandon it.:lol: They thew everything they had at em and that's the only thing that stuck.

Bring it baby,bring it.

notoutofpounds
01-27-2014, 12:44 PM
And then Montoya's' stick gets stuck in the boards behind the net and has to abandon it.

That is a nice arena, but they seem to have that place booby-trapped like Maxwell Smart's apartment. Remember the Pardy Zone Game when a Hawk fan put on a Jets helmet......allegedly.

woodtoo
01-27-2014, 01:15 PM
Is that what they call Chicago Polisticks :lol:

Jay Trotter
01-28-2014, 06:28 PM
Just sending a quick shout-out to my man, Hoofy, all the way from the Mayan Riviera.

Do my eyes deceive me -- did the Jets really beat the Buds? :jump: And then come back and beat the Hawks! Say what!

Hola Hoofy! :cool:

notoutofpounds
02-01-2014, 02:16 AM
Toronto Maple Leafs acquired the rights to Teemu :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

HoofedInTheChest
02-02-2014, 04:51 AM
Just sending a quick shout-out to my man, Hoofy, all the way from the Mayan Riviera.

Do my eyes deceive me -- did the Jets really beat the Buds? :jump: And then come back and beat the Hawks! Say what!

Hola Hoofy! :cool:
Una Cerveza Por Favor

Let's just hope you can keep the momentum going, and take down the Habs tomorrow, in regulation please!

I couldn't find a Tubby McFatphuck i mean Rob Ford bobblehead for you, so i got you this one instead.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Claude-Noel-Milwaukee-Admirals-Bobblehead-Past-Coach-Now-Winnipeg-Jets-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/%24(KGrHqJHJ!4E9qKFJD2)BPbTClBJ2w~~60_35.JPG

HoofedInTheChest
02-02-2014, 04:58 AM
Toronto Maple Leafs acquired the rights to Teemu :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
lol

I just about gagged when i read the headline, they're just freeing up cap space for the return of Bolland. ;)

I see "The Hobbit" is in second place in league scoring. :eek:

notoutofpounds
02-02-2014, 05:14 PM
Thank you for posting the Claude Noel bobble head, those 2 and 1/2 years in the big league sure took its toll on him.

How about "Hobbit Phils Net with Hat Trick" for a Sun headline ? Wow, 30 goals so far, he is bringing it. Leafs are sharp right now.

cj
02-02-2014, 05:36 PM
Fabulously entertaining game today.

HoofedInTheChest
02-02-2014, 05:36 PM
Merci Beaucoup. :ThmbUp:

Jay Trotter
02-02-2014, 06:13 PM
How about "Hobbit Phils Net with Hat Trick" for a Sun headline ? Wow, 30 goals so far, he is bringing it. Leafs are sharp right now.You keep posting these Leaf lovin' posts and you will be thrown out of the club! :bang:

HoofedInTheChest
02-02-2014, 07:16 PM
You keep posting these Leaf lovin' posts and you will be thrown out of the club! :bang:
What can you say, the man has an eye for quality. :lol:

woodtoo
02-03-2014, 11:23 AM
Any one see the mugging of :11:Gallagher as he was trying to clear the zone on a delayed offside? Got a couple wacks by Montoya then knocked
down by a defenceman,finally gets up only to be flattened again :lol:you
should have seen the look on his face.:eek:

Fortunately for the Jets the refs saw nothing.

HoofedInTheChest
02-03-2014, 05:26 PM
Any one see the mugging of :11:Gallagher as he was trying to clear the zone on a delayed offside? Got a couple wacks by Montoya then knocked
down by a defenceman,finally gets up only to be flattened again :lol:you
should have seen the look on his face.:eek:

Fortunately for the Jets the refs saw nothing.
The ref was parked in front of the net and watched it all unfold. Gallagher is nothing but a "rat", and we all know that rats don't get favorable calls. There was 4 or 5 potential penalties that could have been called on that play just to prove my point, but when you are a known diver you aren't going to get any sympathy from the refs. I thought Bogosian should have knocked his teeth in when they were battling in front of the net.

At the end of the day the Habs are just too small to compete, and they have a hard time containing teams with size and speed, the right team won the game.

woodtoo
02-03-2014, 06:03 PM
I guess I was laughing so hard I missed the ref.Agree withe their size,looked like some midget team.

notoutofpounds
02-04-2014, 01:20 PM
Toronto Maple Leafs 8-2 we need you guys to take out the Canucks on Saturday night. Help us out.

Paul Maurice's Winnipeg Jets 8-2

Carolina Hurricanes 7-3

Winnipeg's own Neil Young for making appearances in three recent threads.

My my, hey hey let's make it four with an unrelated Neil Young anecdote. The last time that Bob Dylan played in Winnipeg he visited and received a tour of the house that Neil Young grew up in.

HoofedInTheChest
02-04-2014, 05:01 PM
The Leafs do owe you guys one, but sadly, David "The Haircut" Clarkson is back in the lineup tonight, so much for the winning streak.

There's a chance that Bolland will be in the lineup on Saturday, and thats a definite positive, but i would prefer it if he waited until after the Olympic break, i don't see the point in playing one game.

notoutofpounds
02-05-2014, 10:33 AM

Apparently I have been dreaming in technicolor.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jets are 9-2 with Paul Maurice.

After Randy Bachman left the Guess Who and started Brave Belt he needed one more musician. Neil Young recommended a former member of Pink Plumm Fred Turner, and Brave Belt's Bachman and Turner had success with Bachman-Turner Overdrive.

HoofedInTheChest
02-05-2014, 03:47 PM
Apparently I have been dreaming in technicolor.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jets are 9-2 with Paul Maurice.

After Randy Bachman left the Guess Who and started Brave Belt he needed one more musician. Neil Young recommended a former member of Pink Plumm Fred Turner, and Brave Belt's Bachman and Turner had success with Bachman-Turner Overdrive.
The Jets are definitely "Taking Care of Business", good stuff. :ThmbUp:

HoofedInTheChest
02-08-2014, 08:05 PM
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/02/08/alleged-sochi-plane-hijacker-wore-habs-jersey

notoutofpounds
02-09-2014, 01:34 PM
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/02/08/alleged-sochi-plane-hijacker-wore-habs-jersey

From this story: "...the jersey was obviously a fake..." :lol:

Thank you for posting this. The details about the Habs jersey were absent from most accounts of this incident.

HoofedInTheChest
02-10-2014, 05:51 PM
The time has finally arrived, the NHL is shut down for 3 weeks and it's time for some world class hockey.

The players have arrived in Sochi and they managed to get a practise in today, despite the horrendous travel, they looked a little grumpy coming off the plane. lol Team Canada’ line pairings at practise were a little unusual, i expected to see Bergeron on the top line seeing that Crosby and Bergeron have been magical in the past representing Canada. As well i find it unusual that Nash is on the second line, he was selected as a primary shut down guy against the other teams top line, the work he did in 2010 was legendary, he bitched up Ovechkin good. I understand these lines are not written in stone, and they will optimise the pairings as the tournament progresses, but it makes you wonder, Tavares should be on the 2nd line and Nash should be on the 4th line, Nash is by far the better checker. I know i know, have some faith in Stevie Y and the coaching staff.

My biggest concern is with the goaltending, Lu is out of form despite him being the #1 last time out, but i expect him to get the first start. I think Carey Price will be the go to goaltender when everything is said and done, and Smith just doesn’t have the experience. Definitely our weakest position.

Today’s line pairings...

Stillriledup
02-10-2014, 09:15 PM
The time has finally arrived, the NHL is shut down for 3 weeks and it's time for some world class hockey.

The players have arrived in Sochi and they managed to get a practise in today, despite the horrendous travel, they looked a little grumpy coming off the plane. lol Team Canada’ line pairings at practise were a little unusual, i expected to see Bergeron on the top line seeing that Crosby and Bergeron have been magical in the past representing Canada. As well i find it unusual that Nash is on the second line, he was selected as a primary shut down guy against the other teams top line, the work he did in 2010 was legendary, he bitched up Ovechkin good. I understand these lines are not written in stone, and they will optimise the pairings as the tournament progresses, but it makes you wonder, Tavares should be on the 2nd line and Nash should be on the 4th line, Nash is by far the better checker. I know i know, have some faith in Stevie Y and the coaching staff.

My biggest concern is with the goaltending, Lu is out of form despite him being the #1 last time out, but i expect him to get the first start. I think Carey Price will be the go to goaltender when everything is said and done, and Smith just doesn’t have the experience. Definitely our weakest position.

Today’s line pairings...

USA and Russia have better goaltending than Canada? What do you think.

HoofedInTheChest
02-10-2014, 10:39 PM
USA and Russia have better goaltending than Canada? What do you think.
Canada doesn’t really need to have exceptional goaltending to succeed, the lineup up front is downright scary, and they just need some steady goaltending to get the job done.

The U.S. probably has an edge in goaltending if Miller can repeat previous play, Jonathan Quick has been a little off his game this season, and Howard is a decent backstopper. The U.S. scares me the most out of all the teams that Canada has to face, they like the Canadians have loaded up on speed, and that will be key on the big ice.

Varlamov is having a great season, but Russia is suffering on the back end, their defence core is shaky at best. For Russia, winning hockey gold is paramount, and this medal trumps any other medal the country can produce, but unfortunately they have to get past the U.S. and Canada and that’s not going to happen. One of my favorite interviews from the last Olympics was from the Russian goalie (i forget his name), after playing team Canada he says, “they came out of the gate like a bunch of angry rhino’s, and it didn’t stop for 60 minutes, there was no way of containing them”. You just need to drop the hammer on them and they will fold, all the pressure is on them.

The biggest factor for every team will be the time adjustment, and how quickly the players can gel together. In these one game tournaments, you have to hit maximum potential right out of the gate.

notoutofpounds
02-10-2014, 11:02 PM
Nabokov was the Russian goalie in the 7-3 game in 2010 which was Canada's first Olympic Hockey victory over the Soviet Union / Unified Whatever / Russia since 1960.

Stillriledup
02-11-2014, 12:30 AM
Canada doesn’t really need to have exceptional goaltending to succeed, the lineup up front is downright scary, and they just need some steady goaltending to get the job done.

The U.S. probably has an edge in goaltending if Miller can repeat previous play, Jonathan Quick has been a little off his game this season, and Howard is a decent backstopper. The U.S. scares me the most out of all the teams that Canada has to face, they like the Canadians have loaded up on speed, and that will be key on the big ice.

Varlamov is having a great season, but Russia is suffering on the back end, their defence core is shaky at best. For Russia, winning hockey gold is paramount, and this medal trumps any other medal the country can produce, but unfortunately they have to get past the U.S. and Canada and that’s not going to happen. One of my favorite interviews from the last Olympics was from the Russian goalie (i forget his name), after playing team Canada he says, “they came out of the gate like a bunch of angry rhino’s, and it didn’t stop for 60 minutes, there was no way of containing them”. You just need to drop the hammer on them and they will fold, all the pressure is on them.

The biggest factor for every team will be the time adjustment, and how quickly the players can gel together. In these one game tournaments, you have to hit maximum potential right out of the gate.

Good writeup, thanks.

maclr11
02-11-2014, 03:12 AM
Hoofed, not sure where your thinking splitting up Toews and Nash is a good idea. Those two were great in Vancouver so I think keeping them together is a good starting spot and I don't think the Canadians have a designated checking line. This will be a team that can roll 4 lines when they want to. Bergeron is one of the guys who is a fourth liner because most of his time is going to be spent taking important faceoffs and killing penalties. The Canadians will take a lot of penalties as they normally do in international hockey.

I wouldn't say the Russian goaltending is any better than Canada's.

Miller and Quick are the #1 pair in the games
followed by
Rask and Niemi for the Fins
and
Henrik Lundvqist can stand on his head as well.

The Finnish team lost a lot of talent to injury with the Koivus and Flippula otherwise they would have been a bigger contender.

The big ice is also a major issue in my mind for Canada. Everyone remembers the struggles in Turin right. I think the Marleau-Getzlaf-Perry line creates a huge matchup mismatch for most teams as that is the 2nd or 3rd Canadian line depending on who you ask and they have that great scoring ability and Marleau is a burner to go with them. I could see the Canadians winning gold and I could see them struggling to beat good goalies like Hiller or Halak if they get hot. Canada at least is deep enough to overcome the loss of Stamkos. The loss of Sedin is so huge for Sweden, otherwise they would have been a much more major threat.

This should be interesting but I'm really thinking the at least one if not both of the NA teams will not be top 4.

Stillriledup
02-11-2014, 03:17 AM
Hiller has the ability to totally steal some games for the swiss , he was out of this world in the outdoor game in LA, it looked like he was swatting beachballs away and not small hard to see pucks (not that he hasnt been pretty good otherwise, but that game stood out to me, because it was in a different "venue" than a typical standard, indoor NHL rink.

If he's in the zone, look out.

Its going to be fun.
Go USA! :ThmbUp:

Greyfox
02-11-2014, 10:49 AM
Team Russia, which has not fared well in the last four Olympics, will be a very strong challenge for any nation in this tournament.
Their forwards have strong fire power.
The goal is solid. Defence ? ?Questionmark.

Nevertheless, the games are being played in Russia.
Putin didn't spend $51 billion just to showcase Sochi.
He has pressure on the Russian IHF to produce a gold in mens hockey.
Ovechkin and Malkin will be flying fast in these games, which are political as much as anything sportswise.
Unless I miss my guess, I think that they'll be fierce warriors and very, very difficult to stop on home soil. They'll get a medal, but which one?

p.s.
While all other teams are sleeping 3 to a room, the Russian hockey players have their own private rooms.

HoofedInTheChest
02-11-2014, 02:38 PM
Hoofed, not sure where your thinking splitting up Toews and Nash is a good idea. Those two were great in Vancouver so I think keeping them together is a good starting spot and I don't think the Canadians have a designated checking line. This will be a team that can roll 4 lines when they want to. Bergeron is one of the guys who is a fourth liner because most of his time is going to be spent taking important faceoffs and killing penalties. The Canadians will take a lot of penalties as they normally do in international hockey.

I wouldn't say the Russian goaltending is any better than Canada's.

Miller and Quick are the #1 pair in the games
followed by
Rask and Niemi for the Fins
and
Henrik Lundvqist can stand on his head as well.

The Finnish team lost a lot of talent to injury with the Koivus and Flippula otherwise they would have been a bigger contender.

The big ice is also a major issue in my mind for Canada. Everyone remembers the struggles in Turin right. I think the Marleau-Getzlaf-Perry line creates a huge matchup mismatch for most teams as that is the 2nd or 3rd Canadian line depending on who you ask and they have that great scoring ability and Marleau is a burner to go with them. I could see the Canadians winning gold and I could see them struggling to beat good goalies like Hiller or Halak if they get hot. Canada at least is deep enough to overcome the loss of Stamkos. The loss of Sedin is so huge for Sweden, otherwise they would have been a much more major threat.

This should be interesting but I'm really thinking the at least one if not both of the NA teams will not be top 4.
Great analysis.

You're probably right about the second line, i was thinking back and i remembered that Toews out produced Crosby in the last Olympics, and i thought it might be a good idea to have a two prong attack, hence loading up the second line. The more i played around with the lineups the more i realized that Babcocks pairings made a lot of sense. Bergeron in my opinion is the best two way player on the team, defensively, and it's probably a good idea leaving him on the 4th line seeing that Benn and Tavares are newcomers. At the end of the day, all 4 of Canada' lines can produce offensively, i was just wondering how to maximise the lineup defensively, i do see the lines being altered on the PK.

Again, you're probably right about not having a designated checking line, the second line will take care of the oppositions top line, as well as having a strong offensive upside. I was thinking back to the days of Maltby and Draper on Team Canada, but the system employed now is much different. There's a reason why Babcock is behind the bench and i am not. ;)

Babcock is rolling the same lines on day 2 of practise.

There's two things i disagree with you on...

Turin

Canada didn't bring enough foot speed to Turin, that and the opposition used a passive defensive system. The opposition did not employ any forecheckers and lined up 5 wide in the neutral zone, the Canadians were handcuffed when they tried to go up the ice. Foot speed causes the defenders to back up, and i don't see this being a problem this time around. Book it!

The only problem the big ice will cause is for the defenders, the angles typically used by defenders will have to be adjusted and kept in mindset when playing in the defensive end.

North American Teams

I truly believe that the U.S. and Canada will medal in both men's and women's hockey, and Russia will fall flat on their face.

Jay Trotter
02-11-2014, 02:59 PM
I truly believe that the U.S. and Canada will medal in both men's and women's hockey, and Russia will fall flat on their face.Really going out on a limb with that call, eh! :lol:

HoofedInTheChest
02-11-2014, 03:25 PM
Really going out on a limb with that call, eh! :lol:
:lol:

I was wondering who would catch that one. You never know.....

maclr11
02-11-2014, 04:44 PM
Really going out on a limb with that call, eh! :lol:

Going to be a lot of trappy hockey. And a lot of penalties for both can and USA can they overcome that.
In so many ways it's a different game than the nhl.
Watching some of the women's games already shows how weird that standard of play is.

Jay Trotter
02-11-2014, 06:27 PM
The Canadian Women's Olympic team regularly played against male AAA Midget teams. Looking at the results they won slightly more than they lost which shows a pretty decent caliber of play. Still a long way from even Junior level play.

HoofedInTheChest
02-11-2014, 07:33 PM
The Canadian Women's Olympic team regularly played against male AAA Midget teams. Looking at the results they won slightly more than they lost which shows a pretty decent caliber of play. Still a long way from even Junior level play.
I use to think they were hacks, but their not as bad as you think. Every Tuesday morning i go to a rink in my neighborhood for a workout and there is usually 3 to 5 of them from the national team as well as the American team. Their "Pro League" is in southern Ontario and i see a lot of them around the rinks. These girls can really skate, and they have good agility, they just lack the speed and strength of a man, their shooting really suffers because of their strength.

It is what it is.

ManU918
02-18-2014, 07:38 AM
Just in case you haven't seen it... This is a pretty good brawl...

tM58G6nlaIA

HoofedInTheChest
02-20-2014, 05:41 PM
Garth Snow is angry about losing John Tavares for the rest of the season.

Here is a few gems from the moron himself.

"Are the IIHF or IOC going to reimburse our season ticket holders now?"

"It's a joke. They want all the benefits from NHL players in Olympics and don't want to pay when our best player gets hurt," Snow said.

Are you f'n kidding me? Reimburse your season ticket holders? If you haven't already noticed, your team is in the freakin toilet, and you have a 0% chance of making the playoffs, and you have the balls to even bring this up? What about all the useless trades you made? If you feel that obligated to your season ticket holders, then i suggest that you should resign, you have done more harm to this team then the Latvian did to Tavares.

I feel for Tavares, i really do, i thought the hit was a bit of a low bridge, but every player that steps onto the ice knows damn well that there's a good chance that he's going to get hurt. It's called hockey! If you were to tell Tavares he can't represent his country and go to the Olympics because you are worried about his safety, he would tell you to go f-yourself.

Does Snow need to be reminded that the players are insured, and their salaries are covered in case of a incident? Does Snow need to be reminded that the NHL takes the bulk of the profits from the Olympic hockey games? Does Snow need to be reminded of the other dozen or so players that got hurt? Shit happens, get over it. It's the players that want to be there, not the NHL, the players association has forced their hand and the NHL had very little say in the matter.

You were a hack of a goalie, and a even bigger hack of a GM.

Jay Trotter
02-20-2014, 06:33 PM
You got it Hoofy! If the NHL were to bow out of the Olympics it would be the dumbest marketing move of all time. Unlike the other Big 3 American sports the NHL is still trying to grow its North American market. The Olympics showcases the sport to an audience that might never have interest in watching a hockey game, but once exposed become hooked.

In my opinion it would be very shortsighted to not send the players if you are trying to grow the game.

Greyfox
02-20-2014, 06:56 PM
The Olympics showcases the sport to an audience that might never have interest in watching a hockey game, but once exposed become hooked.

In my opinion it would be very shortsighted to not send the players if you are trying to grow the game.

Of course I want to see the NHL continue to be in the Olympics.
The big bargaining chip this year was that the games were in Russia.
All of the players wanted to be there, the Europeans wanted to be there and most of all the Russians wanted to be there.
The next games will be in South Korea.
The interest of all groups will NOT be as high.
They won't have players such as Ovechkin saying "If I can't go to Korea, I won't play in the N.H.L." Ditto the Sedins and others.

Unfortunately, and according to Gary Bettman, the NHL has never experienced a spike in viewership on TV or gate attendance after any of the Olympic games so far.

It's touch and go as to whether or not the NHL owners will allow players to go to Korea for the next Winter games.

PaceAdvantage
02-21-2014, 09:26 AM
I wonder if you guys would be dumping as much on Snow if he happened to be the Gm of one of your beloved Canadian teams and Tavares was a franchise player north of the border.

MutuelClerk
02-21-2014, 10:29 AM
Personally I would prefer the NHL stay out of the Olympics. Every four years let World Juniors get the spotlight. Such a great tournament only the hockey junkies realize it. I get to see Connor McDavid again in about three weeks. Can't wait.

HoofedInTheChest
02-21-2014, 10:42 AM
I wonder if you guys would be dumping as much on Snow if he happened to be the Gm of one of your beloved Canadian teams and Tavares was a franchise player north of the border.
Hit a nerve?

For starters, i was insulted by his remarks, how stupid does he think we are? Franchise players go down to injury all the time in the NHL, does that mean the organization is obligated to refund their season ticket holders? I think not. The Islanders season ticket holders have already packed it in for the season, Garth Snow took care of that on his own. Should they be compensated?

To say that the Islanders should be compensated for the injury is downright ignorant, the NHL works under a revenue sharing system, they take hundreds of millions of dollars from the Olympics, which means the Islanders will get some dough out of this. God knows the Islanders are "takers" in the grand scheme of things, and not "providers", when was the last time the Islanders showed a profit?

John Tavares is insured by Team Canada, that means the Islanders do not have to pay his salary for the rest of the season, and his salary comes off the cap, so they are saving money in this situation.

If it wasn't for our beloved Canadian team(s) feeding the rest of the NHL franchises, how many American teams would be in existence? I can think of two American franchises off the top of my head that will be relocated in the next two years, to Canada.

No Canadian franchise would be that stupid to take their back-up goalie and make him the GM, with absolutely no experience. Charles Wang is a certified nut job, and is ruining a rich history on the island, sad to see. How many first round picks have they washed down the toilet, yep, that's a stellar management team!

Injuries are a part of the game, if Phil Kessel gets smoked today and cant play for the Leafs for the rest of the season, i find it highly unlikely that Nonis will get up on soapbox and start crying the blues. As a fan, i understand that injuries happen, and it's a part of the game and you have to accept that.

I seriously wonder if he would have made those statements if Tavares had played for U.S.A.

Jay Trotter
02-21-2014, 04:42 PM
I wonder if you guys would be dumping as much on Snow if he happened to be the Gm of one of your beloved Canadian teams and Tavares was a franchise player north of the border.My position would be unchanged. The athletes (hockey players) want to play and we (the fans) want to see them play; and the NHL should welcome the marketing opportunity. Injuries happen.

I won't pretend to be an "expert" on Snow but I can't say I've ever heard anything positive about his abilities.

HoofedInTheChest
02-21-2014, 05:22 PM
I should have mentioned in my reply that my opinion had nothing to do with being Anti-American, or being Pro-Canadian. I would have the same opinion if the Leaf GM or any other GM for that matter, stood up and made the same ridiculous comments.

I am much more critical of my Leafs than i am of any other team in the NHL. It wasn't that long ago when John Ferguson Jr. was running the Leafs into the ground, and i wanted to tear him a new a-hole on a daily basis.

Personally, i think Snow is deflecting attention away from the piss-poor job he is doing on the island, and in my opinion he has no business running an NHL team.

I have a ton of respect for the U.S. Developmental Program, as well as the American game in general. In my opinion the North American teams are the cream of the crop, and in no way do i look down on the U.S., just ask Trotter. :lol:

Greyfox
02-21-2014, 05:58 PM
John Tavares is insured by Team Canada, that means the Islanders do not have to pay his salary for the rest of the season, and his salary comes off the cap, so they are saving money in this situation.

Undoubtedly the insurance must be pretty high whenever you put $49 million dollars worth of talent on the ice.
Team Canada didn't even have a summer orientation camp on ice last year due to high insurance costs. They practiced on a gym floor.
Where did you find out that his salary comes off the cap???

maclr11
02-21-2014, 06:23 PM
Because his salary cap doesn't count on injured reserve, like every other season ending injury.

Greyfox
02-21-2014, 07:00 PM
Because his salary cap doesn't count on injured reserve, like every other season ending injury.

Thank you. Makes sense. :ThmbUp:

OTM Al
02-21-2014, 08:09 PM
Personally, i think Snow is deflecting attention away from the piss-poor job he is doing on the island, and in my opinion he has no business running an NHL team.

He managed to put together a pretty solid offensive team but defensively they are bad. 38 year old goaltender who's blown out his groin twice this year is not going to anchor a solid defensive effort on a regular basis. Top line of Tavares, Okposo and Vanek is as good as anyone's but we have seen the last of that. Hopefully he can at least get something good in return for Vanek. He'll help someone in the playoffs this year.

But hey, what should we expect for a team who's mascot Sparky is a leftover from the Arena Football League? I so can't wait until they get to Brooklyn.

HoofedInTheChest
02-21-2014, 08:58 PM
He managed to put together a pretty solid offensive team but defensively they are bad. 38 year old goaltender who's blown out his groin twice this year is not going to anchor a solid defensive effort on a regular basis. Top line of Tavares, Okposo and Vanek is as good as anyone's but we have seen the last of that. Hopefully he can at least get something good in return for Vanek. He'll help someone in the playoffs this year.

But hey, what should we expect for a team who's mascot Sparky is a leftover from the Arena Football League? I so can't wait until they get to Brooklyn.
Last season you had one of the most dynamic scoring lines in the NHL, what does Snow go and do? Lets Boyes walk away, and trades Moulson for Vanek. Now you want to unload Vanek at the trade deadline? Man, i'm sorry but the Islanders are developing a bad habit of letting elite talent walk away, it's a perpetual cycle of non development.

I dont even want to get into all the goaltenders that have gone through the Islanders.

Back in the day, the Islanders were the cats ass! Denis Potvin is one of my alltime favorite defenseman. It's sad to see it's come to this, i put the blame solely on the ownership.

OTM Al
02-21-2014, 09:49 PM
Last season you had one of the most dynamic scoring lines in the NHL, what does Snow go and do? Lets Boyes walk away, and trades Moulson for Vanek. Now you want to unload Vanek at the trade deadline? Man, i'm sorry but the Islanders are developing a bad habit of letting elite talent walk away, it's a perpetual cycle of non development.

I dont even want to get into all the goaltenders that have gone through the Islanders.

Back in the day, the Islanders were the cats ass! Denis Potvin is one of my alltime favorite defenseman. It's sad to see it's come to this, i put the blame solely on the ownership.

They have to unload Vanek or he walks at the end of the year and they get nothing. He's already said he isn't staying. They aren't going anywhere so there is no reason to keep him. He's a very good player but they let way too much go to get him, especially without any guarantee he'd be there for more than the year, I agree.

Also agree about ownership. They've had some bad ones. Just hoping getting out of that dump of an arena will give a push to get better.

HoofedInTheChest
02-23-2014, 05:17 PM
They have to unload Vanek or he walks at the end of the year and they get nothing. He's already said he isn't staying. They aren't going anywhere so there is no reason to keep him. He's a very good player but they let way too much go to get him, especially without any guarantee he'd be there for more than the year, I agree.

Also agree about ownership. They've had some bad ones. Just hoping getting out of that dump of an arena will give a push to get better.
I hear ya, hopefully they can turn it around for your sake. What will make it hard for you guys is convincing players to come and play for the Islanders, no one wants to play for a losing organization.

It looks like we meet up next Thursday, hopefully the boys wont be to burnt out from the Olympics. Kulemin should be well rested! :lol:

OTM Al
02-23-2014, 06:06 PM
I hear ya, hopefully they can turn it around for your sake. What will make it hard for you guys is convincing players to come and play for the Islanders, no one wants to play for a losing organization.

It looks like we meet up next Thursday, hopefully the boys wont be to burnt out from the Olympics. Kulemin should be well rested! :lol:

Once they are playing in Barklays, it will help a little. I'm hoping when that happens they also move to the YES network for their games. There's nothing like a night when Knicks, Rangers and Devils are also playing. I had to look online to figure out where the game had been dumped to. If those two things happen they should have a two year window to try to bring in some players as they will have more exposure in the area. If they blow that, then at least it will still be an easy train ride home after they lose. It just seems so minor league right now.

jdhanover
02-23-2014, 07:16 PM
Really the best shot is when they move that Wang sells the team. Else we may be in for another decade of garbage, despite the young talent coming up (which is pretty good)

OTM Al
02-23-2014, 08:52 PM
Really the best shot is when they move that Wang sells the team. Else we may be in for another decade of garbage, despite the young talent coming up (which is pretty good)

They will certainly be worth more so maybe he will. And they are playing themselves into a good pick this year. Need a goaltender desperately. Poulin is young, but not sure he's going to be more than a backup. The team is young. They only have a couple guys over 30, so there is hope. They can score, just need to stop giving the other team 5 goals a night.

OTM Al
02-28-2014, 02:41 PM

Was so tired last night I forgot the game was on. Was shocked to see the result. Two shorthanded goals on the same PP isn't something that happens every day. Here's the stat that really shows how poor Islander goaltending is this year from ESPN's little factoid section after the recap

"The Islanders are 20-7-3 when they score at least three goals and are 3-23-5 when they do not."

Don't expect to have a great record when you only score 1 or 2 goals, but that is hideous.

Stillriledup
02-28-2014, 05:33 PM
Was so tired last night I forgot the game was on. Was shocked to see the result. Two shorthanded goals on the same PP isn't something that happens every day. Here's the stat that really shows how poor Islander goaltending is this year from ESPN's little factoid section after the recap

"The Islanders are 20-7-3 when they score at least three goals and are 3-23-5 when they do not."

Don't expect to have a great record when you only score 1 or 2 goals, but that is hideous.

I saw those SHG's by accident. i turned my tv on and it was on that channel (must have auto recorded some sort of racing insider program) too bad their best player got knocked out for the season in the Olympics, that's a rough break, but I've seen a bunch of NYI games this season, they may not have any kind of defense, but at least they play really hard, that's a start to establishing some sort of quality team.

HoofedInTheChest
03-01-2014, 02:31 PM

lol That game was a gift, there was plenty of brain farts that night after coming off the layoff. The first thing that Carlyle mentioned to the boys was " i hope you paid close attention to Team Canada, you can win with defense!" After that game with the Isles, i would have to say they were watching the Russian games, never a dull moment. :rolleyes:

It seems the Blues are loading up for a Cup run, adding Miller and Ott should make things a little more interesting in the west.

Two outdoor games on tap this weekend, the Pens/Blackhawks tonight at 8pm, and the Sens/Nucks on Sunday.

Stillriledup
03-01-2014, 05:28 PM
Amazingly rugged game last night in Anaheim, Blues played great and could have easily won that game by 3 goals, they looked strong, Ducks were valiant in victory, they "found a way" to win that game, but StL looked super in defeat, its hard to play a better game and lose.

Possible "letdown" for Ducks vs Carolina, this was a physical game and playoff energy from both teams, Anaheim has to beware of the letdown vs a team they arent familiar with.

notoutofpounds
03-04-2014, 06:42 PM
Hey hockey fans,

Thomas Vanek is a healthy scratch tonight, where is he going ?

I really like the vintage Toronto Maple Leaf logo Hoofy.

HoofedInTheChest
03-05-2014, 09:34 AM
I really like the vintage Toronto Maple Leaf logo Hoofy.
Vintage is the key word, it's the logo from the 67 Cup team, and there's no end in sight. :bang:

It will be interesting to see who will be buyers and sellers today, i was a little shocked to see Lu head back to the land of fun and sun. That acquisition worked out real well for the Nucks. :rolleyes: They need to clean house on the left coast, Gillis and Torts have to go, maybe Torts can get a job in Sweden!

I say the Buds do absolutely nothing today, so help me if they deal Bolland today, i'm going to be pissed.

HoofedInTheChest
03-06-2014, 05:45 PM
..... and things go from bad to worse for the Islanders.

The Islanders got fleeced by the Habs yesterday, trading Thomas Vanek for Sebastian Collberg and a conditional second round pick. That’s right, Garth took an elite goal scorer and traded him for a couple of prospects, that could very well never see the light of day in the NHL.

Sebastian Collberg, ranked 6th on Montreal’s prospect depth chart, and there’s a very good chance this kid will be an AHL lifer. To put into perspective, for every 1000 junior hockey players, 4 will get an opportunity in the NHL, and 2 will stay. So good ol’ Garth just gambled away the future on the island, AGAIN!

How this man keeps his job in the NHL is beyond me, if he is still employed by next July then the organization deserves everything that is coming to them, unfortunately the diehard fans are the ones that suffer the most.

OTM Al
03-07-2014, 12:12 PM
..... and things go from bad to worse for the Islanders.

The Islanders got fleeced by the Habs yesterday, trading Thomas Vanek for Sebastian Collberg and a conditional second round pick. That’s right, Garth took an elite goal scorer and traded him for a couple of prospects, that could very well never see the light of day in the NHL.

Sebastian Collberg, ranked 6th on Montreal’s prospect depth chart, and there’s a very good chance this kid will be an AHL lifer. To put into perspective, for every 1000 junior hockey players, 4 will get an opportunity in the NHL, and 2 will stay. So good ol’ Garth just gambled away the future on the island, AGAIN!

How this man keeps his job in the NHL is beyond me, if he is still employed by next July then the organization deserves everything that is coming to them, unfortunately the diehard fans are the ones that suffer the most.

Knew there was a chance they wouldn't get a lot, but this was bad. They gave up Moulson, a 2014 first round pick and a 2015 2nd round pick for Vanek and now have a weak prospect and a conditional second rounder. That 1st rounder lost really hurts. So does losing another 2 goal lead in the final period....

MutuelClerk
03-11-2014, 01:38 AM
Helluva win tonight by the Leafs. They capitalized on their chances and Bernier was outstanding. I hope Rich Peverley is okay. Scary stuff.

HoofedInTheChest
03-11-2014, 12:50 PM
So does losing another 2 goal lead in the final period....
How about scoring 7 goals in the third period last night, looks good on Torts. :lol:

OTM Al
03-11-2014, 01:03 PM
How about scoring 7 goals in the third period last night, looks good on Torts. :lol:

Have a bit of a cold so missed that one as I went to bed early. 7 by 7 different players and a 2-1-1 trip across Canada that easily could have been 4-0-0 if they had a goaltender and any kind of defense. 7 was magic as I believe they played 7 rookies last night as well. The team is so young so there is some hope for the future. MSG had a show last night before the game on the 1975 series with Pittsburgh where they came back from 3-0 down in the playoffs. Had several members of the team talking about the comeback. It was interesting to watch despite the poor quality of the tape (game 5 was only partial and had no sound and that's all there is left). The players were so much smaller and moved so much more slowly than the current players. One of the old timers even comment on that's why they didn't have too many concussion problems despite not wearing helmets.

HoofedInTheChest
03-11-2014, 01:17 PM
Helluva win tonight by the Leafs. They capitalized on their chances and Bernier was outstanding. I hope Rich Peverley is okay. Scary stuff.
Yet another game where they allowed 44 shots on net, for the life of me i can't figure out how this team keeps winning, Berny is a human vacuum.

The Buds keep defying the odds, if they actually make the playoffs this year they will break a historical record. No team in the history of the NHL has ever made the playoffs while allowing 35+ shots against, the last time i checked they were averaging 38 shots against per game, not a recipe for success.

Glad to hear Peverley is doing well in the hospital, not sure if he will be able play again with a heart condition, but that is secondary, his life is a little more important.

How about Strombo hosting HNIC next season? :rolleyes: Not only does Rogers put out an inferior product on their own stations, now they're going to butcher up the CBC as well. God help us, why didn't they just kick us right in the teeth and give Healy the job. Jeff Marek and Daren Millard? F-me.

MutuelClerk
03-11-2014, 01:38 PM
Agree Hoofed. Always outshot, the PK isn't very good ( better recently). Yet still finding a way to win. This is a huge road trip for us. If Kessel keeps this up he might be nominated for the Hart trophy. Yeah, I said it. He's playing great. Speed, hands, seeing the ice and passing. JVR was a steal of a trade. And for whatever reason Bozak seems to be a good fit between them. Looking forward to Bolland returning. Keep it up boys. Winning ugly. GO LEAFS GO!!!!!

Valuist
03-11-2014, 01:41 PM

Wonder how long he will be out. I believe there was a guy maybe 7 or 8 years ago who had some heart related episode on the ice and I don't think he ever played again.

MutuelClerk
03-11-2014, 01:49 PM
Jiri fisher. Red wings. He may have returned briefly but works in teams front office now.

jdhanover
03-11-2014, 03:21 PM
Have a bit of a cold so missed that one as I went to bed early. 7 by 7 different players and a 2-1-1 trip across Canada that easily could have been 4-0-0 if they had a goaltender and any kind of defense. 7 was magic as I believe they played 7 rookies last night as well. The team is so young so there is some hope for the future. MSG had a show last night before the game on the 1975 series with Pittsburgh where they came back from 3-0 down in the playoffs. Had several members of the team talking about the comeback. It was interesting to watch despite the poor quality of the tape (game 5 was only partial and had no sound and that's all there is left). The players were so much smaller and moved so much more slowly than the current players. One of the old timers even comment on that's why they didn't have too many concussion problems despite not wearing helmets.

It is interesting watching the old tapes and comparing the styles/speed of play. It owuld figure that shots are much harder now (stick technology) but the speed difference is astounding (yes, skates are better, but still).

Isles last night - can you imagine being in the Canucks locker room after that fiasco?

But Isles have a major problem in Wang/Snow. If they get one of the top two picks they have to keep it (if not, they may need to let BUF have it and keep next years - the draft this year is lousy compared to next apparently). but I suspect they wont (admitting that you may suck agian next year).

The best scenario may be get the top pick, and then make a good trade. Get a good goalie, good D, and other pieces. But with Wang/Snow I suspect we will draft 4th and keep it and take some stiff. Then watch BUF get the #1 pick (as Isles suck next year again) and get that stud McDavid (or whatever his name is).

ldiatone
03-11-2014, 05:00 PM

OMG i listened to that game and can remember mike langs call as eddie westfall scored. but how about the 79 seris when pens where up 3-1 in game 5 and 3rd pr . goals tied it up and when into ot when tonneli score the game winner :mad:
the pens always had those bad breaks till # 66 came along. wasnt it that seris that it was the only seris the isls went to the last game of a seris?

OTM Al
03-12-2014, 11:58 AM
OMG i listened to that game and can remember mike langs call as eddie westfall scored. but how about the 79 seris when pens where up 3-1 in game 5 and 3rd pr . goals tied it up and when into ot when tonneli score the game winner :mad:
the pens always had those bad breaks till # 66 came along. wasnt it that seris that it was the only seris the isls went to the last game of a seris?

Not sure if you are asking about 75 or 79 with the last. The Isles went the full route again in the following series in 75 with Philadelphia once again losing the first three and coming back to force a game 7 which they lost. One of the old players on the show regretted one thing about that whole playoff run. The team had called up Bryan Trottier for the playoffs that year and never played him. He said it was the general opinion of the team that if he had played they would have gone much further thant year.

ldiatone
03-12-2014, 05:49 PM
orpik put the clamp down of #8 last nite along with marc. and crosby's goal....

HoofedInTheChest
03-13-2014, 12:43 AM
Stay classy Winnipeg.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/03/12/john-tavares-gives-jersey-to-little-islanders-fan-mocked-at-mts-centre

Jay Trotter
03-13-2014, 08:22 AM
Stay classy Winnipeg.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/03/12/john-tavares-gives-jersey-to-little-islanders-fan-mocked-at-mts-centreVery unfortunate incident. I can't imagine too many fans having a passionate hate for the Islanders. Most likely some drunkards out of control. Classy move by Tavares and the Islanders. :ThmbUp:

ManU918
03-13-2014, 11:36 AM
Stay classy Winnipeg.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/03/12/john-tavares-gives-jersey-to-little-islanders-fan-mocked-at-mts-centre

Seriously? If anyone is dumb enough to wear the opposing teams jersey they deserve everything they get. This kid was told "you suck" and its news worthy? Wow.

This happens in every stadium throughout the NHL.

HoofedInTheChest
03-13-2014, 02:27 PM
Seriously? If anyone is dumb enough to wear the opposing teams jersey they deserve everything they get. This kid was told "you suck" and its news worthy? Wow.

This happens in every stadium throughout the NHL.
Cmon man, the kid was 11 years old. What kind of degenerate bullies a little kid? Whoever the guy(s) were, are a bunch of lowlifes.

You should be able to wear any jersey you want when you go to a game, without fearing for your own safety. It's just a freakin game.

Hats off to Tavy for making things right. :ThmbUp:

Jay Trotter
03-13-2014, 02:57 PM
I have to agree with Hoofy on this. I know that the Jets faithful are one of the largest traveling fan bases out there, especially in the southern climates. If you watch a Jets game on TV you'll see hundreds of fans wearing their Jets jerseys in many different cities. I certainly wouldn't want anyone at risk (especially an 11 year old) just because they're wearing their team jersey in another city.